WIll it ever stop hurting?

I'm in so much emotional pain right now, I've been trying to distract myself. A little back story (okay maybe a lot):

A year ago on Valentines Day I bought my girlfriend a guinea pig, we loved our guinea pig so much but I kept reading on how guinea pigs need a friend and so in May of last year, against the wishes of my girlfriend, I went out and bought a female guinea pig. When I met the seller, she had two guinea pigs with her, I took one and over the next day I couldn't help but feel horribly guilty that I was separating two sisters and so I contact that woman again and bought the sister, from here I will call them by their names Marcy and Nessy. When Marcy and Nessy were reunited they screamed with joy and excitement, it warmed my heart and I knew from that point on that they could never be separated.

Well now it's happened, on Monday after getting home from work with my girlfriend we found little Nessy not moving in her cage and when we picked her up it was like she had no spine but she was having involuntary movements. We rushed her straight to the nearest vet but they said there was nothing we could do for her and we had to put her down and now it just hurts SO MUCH! My heart feels like it's been torn asunder, I just can't stop thinking about how she's gone, this all feels like a horrible nightmare that I want to wake up from.

When my girlfriend and I would have Marcy and Nessy running around on the basement floor, sometimes Marcy would cry out for someone and her sister Nessy would always call back and they'd run to each other, and now when Marcy calls out, there's no one to respond!! We didn't cremate her so her body is just in a box in the ground, I dug the grave myself and now I keep getting this urge to just rip the box out of the grave and open it and hold her body in my hands, I just want to see my little baby girl again! I'd give anything to see her again, will this pain ever go away? I wish I could put a picture up on here so you could all know what she looked like and just how cute she was. I feel so lost, I don't know what I should do.

TLDR: My precious baby piggy is dead and the pain just won't stop, I don't know what to do

I'm sorry.

Losing our pets is always tough, I lost little Oreo some months ago and I'm still sad about it. Unfortunately, these animals are not long-lived and it's good to take plenty of pictures and videos while you can.

But it's okay if you didn't. Time will dull the pain and eventually you won't feel it any more. When Marcy goes, take comfort that you can lay her to rest with her sister, and that their pain of loss is no more.

Dude don't you think you're overreacting? I mean it's not the end of the world, you'll be fine all you need is to sit on it a little (not literally) and you'll start to get over it. Just give it some time it's only been a few days.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, losing a pet is always hard to deal with. I lost my Snowey over 2 years ago and I am still struggling with her death. I wish I could give you better advice, but really time will help. Give yourself time and space and it will stop hurting and then only the happy memories will remain.

My grandparents used to own a house not too far down the road from here, with a sloping garden and several cats. The place used to be alive with the sound of jingling bells on collars as they raced up and down the staircase or chased bees through the flowerbeds. As they got older, they slowed down and began to thin in number. My grandparents outlived them all and the entire household was saddened whenever one of the litter passed away. When you love and care for a life, human or otherwise, it's not easy to see them go. You often feel like you're losing a part of yourself and in a way, you are. You won't have any more memories of time spent with them and you won't be able to show them how much you love them any more. All that matters is that you did love them once, and you showed them that. You were both happier and better-off for having known each-other, because that's what love should mean.

It might take a while, but the pain will fade as you come to accept what's happened. Don't dwell on the sad things that aren't your fault or the things that you can't change. Hold on to the good memories and the happy times, because those are worth remembering.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked