Help me analyse this situation

First of all I know this post is a mess and that it's long and hard to get through. I was trying to include as much information as might be necessary and I am not sure how to phrase things. I will summarize it at the end for those who get tired of reading it all.

I want to ask some advice in order to determine if I reacted appropriately in this situation. I am asking this because I have started doubting myself and I've been over analysing it ever since it happened.I know that I am asking something impossible here since it's impossible without knowing the situation or anyone involved in it so I will provide my own analysis of the situation.

Basically this situation should be quite simple to anyone who isn't completely inept in social situations (such as me). I was at a party to celebrate the summer break a little while back. At the end of the night I said my good byes to those of my friends who were there.
At the end of it I talked to one of my friends who were certain she failed one of her exams which means she will have to take it in August. I had helped her out a bit and studied with her for the last few days and I had handed her 15 pages of answers for a huge pile of questions. When I told her I was leaving she hugged me and told me she would be thinking of me as she studied for the retake exam. Those parting words are what bother me because I don't know if she put any meaning into it that I missed and if I was expected to respond differently (I don't remember quite what I said, but I probably said something like "Enjoy" or some kind of joke).
So what I am wondering if is my initial analysis that this simply was her wishing me a good summer and an expression of gratitude for helping her out can be trusted.

I don't really think there was anything more to it, but I am bad with these situations. I don't consider us to be close enough for it to be more than a casual comment, but I want to hear a different take on it. I am asking this because I am uncertain what to make of it and it doesn't fit in with what I expected and that confuses me.

TL;DR: Girl hugged me, said she would be thinking about me. Am I right to assume this means nothing?
If there is more I could mention please say so and I will try to expand on that if I can.

It likely means nothing. Women are often overly casual with expressions of affection pretty much to the point of making them meaningless. They say they love things all the time that they simply like. When they call something cute, it pretty much puts that something in the realm of kittens and puppies. If she says she will be thinking of you it will more likely be out of bitterness that you are proceeding while she is being left behind.

Aramis Night:
It likely means nothing. Women are often overly casual with expressions of affection pretty much to the point of making them meaningless. They say they love things all the time that they simply like. When they call something cute, it pretty much puts that something in the realm of kittens and puppies. If she says she will be thinking of you it will more likely be out of bitterness that you are proceeding while she is being left behind.

Yeah, I thought as much, but it's good to get someone else's view on it.

However it was not something spiked by bitterness. She's not being held back because she failed and I do not get to proceed because I passed. If she failed, she just has to take it again which is preferable compared to passing and getting a bad grade since that can actually hold you back a year.

I do agree with your overall conclusion though. Thanks for helping me out.

Mostly just a friendly gesture with a bit of flirting in there for sure, if you reacted at the time then maybe things went somewhere but it is just as likely she would have pulled back if you escalated (some people do enjoy a bit of casual flirting). Either way it doesn't mean much, these things you just got to wing at the time and see how they go... usually they go nowhere.

Definitely sounds innocent to me. I'd probably say that sort of thing as a way of acknowledging/thanking you for the help preparing for the exam the first time round.

I could be wrong, but I don't perceive anything flirtatious in what she said at all.

Smooth Operator:
Mostly just a friendly gesture with a bit of flirting in there for sure, if you reacted at the time then maybe things went somewhere but it is just as likely she would have pulled back if you escalated (some people do enjoy a bit of casual flirting). Either way it doesn't mean much, these things you just got to wing at the time and see how they go... usually they go nowhere.

Eamar:
Definitely sounds innocent to me. I'd probably say that sort of thing as a way of acknowledging/thanking you for the help preparing for the exam the first time round.

I could be wrong, but I don't perceive anything flirtatious in what she said at all.

That's a relief, I am comfortable with how things are and I really don't want that to change in any way and I am terrible with any kind of social situation and I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks for helping me out, I'm truly grateful to you both.

Yeah it's a rather iffy situation for someone with little social experience. Usually, displays like that aren't flirtation. Really, I've mistaken it for it in the past as well, but one conversation later, things have been cleared up at least.

Some people are just more casual with personal space when it comes to hugs and stuff; I'm like that too. I'd hug everyone I like having in my life. Which, of course, makes my mistaking such behavior for flirtation all the more jarring. I grew out of it, fortunately.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked