Want to travel, need some tips

Well hello, I want to make a big travel and need tips so its doesn't cost me too much and what I should be careful and such of the place I go. It going to be my first time

Ummm

Where do you plan on going?

Are you going with anyone?

Once you figure that out, I am sure someone here will be familiar with the location, and be able to help you.

forgot that crucial info :p

Well I want to go in Japan and there is a high chance I'm going alone
also want to go before year end

You might ask Stephen Bogos or Robert Rath on Twitter, as I believe the former lives there and the latter has been at least once.

Thought about couch surfing? It'd probably save you a fair bit a money if you have the right sort of mentality to do it. Personally I haven't, I'm happy to pay extra for a hotel room of my very own, but it is useful to know the option exists.

Been twice. Japan is grand but make sure you look up how to use public transit in whatever city you're going to because it can be a bit convoluted sometimes. Most you can buy cheaper week-long passes.

Also, try to bring money. Japan is expensive. Especially Tokyo. Air BnB is a decent option for accommodations but keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

Edit: I guess this advice is a bit late. Oh well.

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo: also yeah, go in fall or spring. Last summer in Asia was idiotically hot and humid, worse than anything else I've experienced. My friend was there and he got heatstoke. So yeah.

Japan is quite a safe country overall, but I heard that it can be quite expensive. I've never been to Japan, but a few years ago I was backpacking in Southeast Asia and usually stayed in hostels. I was also traveling by myself most of the time and found that hostels are usually great to meet people. That was still the time before sites like AirBnb got popular though. Nowadays I usually check both AirBnb and hostels, but still prefer hostels overall because they usually have a more social vibe.

Use a plane to get there, it's really far away.

Figure out where supermarkets are near where you stay for one thing if you want to be cheap. Your money will shrivel fast if you eat nothing but fast food and restaurants/cafes food three times a day. Would you rather eat another big mac only this time in Japan or have enough money for one more tour?

don't forget to have ultra-portable laptop, for expensive certainlly the surface pro 4 is the best and for budget one see the Asus T100 tablet laptop

Hi there, make a checklist of all the necessary things. Before going on a trip you should visit a doctor to check up and take some pain killers or necessary tablets with you.

Siyano:
Well hello, I want to make a big travel and need tips so its doesn't cost me too much and what I should be careful and such of the place I go. It going to be my first time

Get on a website like Couch Surfer. You basically get to stay with people for free. If you are nervous about the idea of living in a stranger's place, stick to users with lots of recommendations/reviews. I've used it a couple of times for Europe and never had problems.

Alternatively, just go with Airbnb. If you get a place, try to buy your own food, rather than rely on restaurants all the time. This will save you a bundle, and you get to have the fun of figuring out what the hell the locals eat and how to cook it. Also try to walk where possible, as transport will end up costing a fortune. This will also give you a better flavour of the place. Speaking of relying on locals, it might be a good idea to contact any foreign people you know, and ask where they like to go on holidays on their home turf. They can recommend some great places that aren't juts in the capital cities, and you might prefer to try one of those.

As for picking a location, much of Europe is generally expensive, but are among the safest and well established locales. That also means you get a constant supply of con-artists, touters and other assholes who follow you around everywhere. This is pretty much the case in every tourist location in the world however. People warn about pickpockets in public places, but the more common thieves are the ones trying to pressure you into buying souvenir bullshit. If you want to save money and luggage space, just don't bother with stupid souvenirs at all - your friends and family won't mind if you don't give them some over-priced paperweights.

The best thing to do would probably be to try out places that are actually reportedly "unsafe". Turkey is great for holidays at the moment because the tourist industry there is extremely desperate for customers. Due to fear about safety, Turkey has lost a lot of business, and hotels, flights and restaurants are all operating at a much cheaper price. You are also still about as safe as anywhere else.

The Seishun Juuhachi Kippu (Seishun 18 Ticket) is the best under-the-radar value for train travel. It's a pass that's available during student holidays and for around $115 US, you get the equivalent of 5 day-passes for JR trains. It can be used by more than one person (i.e. two people jump on and just use two of the stamps). The limiting factor is that you can only take the slower trains, making long trips not worth the benefits.

Minshukus are the Japanese version of a B&B or pension and can be a way better deal than hotels, in addition to being way cooler for usually being old school Japanesey. For example, I found a primarily-Japanese hostel that felt like a bunkhouse from the 1700s for just $20/night. I've had the best luck searching them on Boo.com, but Thorntree forums at Lonely Planet do good as well. While some will call themselves "hostels," searching by "minshuku" can give a treasure trove of results. Also, Ryokans are usually the higher end traditional hotels, but some of the cheaper ones go by this name as well.

Capsule hotels can be a fun and affordable cultural experience (usually $40/night). One within a train stop of the Nagoya airport is perfect for it's 70's-era salaryman seediness, connected to a Pachinko parlor and reeking of stale smoke. Others can be better kept, but the heads up is that some might be male only or have a small separate floor for female guests.
If you end up stranded somewhere late for any reason, you can always crash at a love hotel. Backpackers sometimes use them for their affordability over standard hotels. Some don't even have a clerk in front, just a vending machine for hotel rooms.
There are lots of good deals on rooms if you travel in winter. Compared to colder US states, the Japanese winter is fairly mild (except for the North).

To mitigate your eating expenses with more affordable lunches, learn to recognize ramen (ラーメン) and curry shops. I'm a big Coco Ichiban fan, but some people find it underwhelming. Real ramen is excellent though and a serious meal. And always hire moving company if you will need to move your things from one place to another https://traditionalexpress.com/ cause that is very cheap in those country.

If you need lots of trinkets to take home, find a Hyaku-en Store (?100 shop). It's like an American dollar store on steroids. There are so many cheap, but nifty goods here. Everything from bathroom flags that say kooky things like "Masculine Sexy Man" to bug terrariums to sake sets can be found here. For a buck, I got my cousin's toddler a shirt reading "Honey Hunter: I'm in the Bee Army." There's actually one of these in the J-town mall in SF, but the inventory doesn't seem to deliver at quite the same level.

hey guys!
so i am thinking on going on a long vacation - a couple of months - and what to pack has always been an issue. this is the first time im going travelling and i am pretty sure there will be events where the dress-code will be semi formal. i am really not good at picking the right outfit as most of the time i am running around on trainers a t-shirt and cuff jeans. i was looking to get a pair of this shoes: http://theidleman.com/brands/clarks.html. i like them and of course, they are reduced so win win for me.

what do you guys suggest, any tip is welcome :)

kyan:
hey guys!
so i am thinking on going on a long vacation - a couple of months - and what to pack has always been an issue. this is the first time im going travelling and i am pretty sure there will be events where the dress-code will be semi formal. i am really not good at picking the right outfit as most of the time i am running around on trainers a t-shirt and cuff jeans. i was looking to get a pair of this shoes: http://theidleman.com/brands/clarks.html. i like them and of course, they are reduced so win win for me.

what do you guys suggest, any tip is welcome :)

Dress to the weather, wherever it is. Hot climate needs light, airy clothes. lots of linen/thin cotton is good and stylish. Cold climates need thicker clothes and more space to pack it. Sweaters/turtlenecks are good and stylish, but layers of shirts may be more space effective. Always pack spares. It's up to you whether to bring a blazer, but if you are, wear it for the flight as it will crease easily when packed, and get in the way of everything else. Try to have a universal pair of shoes that are good for walking and dress up, as spare shoes take up a tone of room (I'd only ever bring sandals as back up). For travelling itself, go comfy over all else, with a mind of what the weather will be where you arrive.

Final bit of advice: if you are an American flying to the UK, don't wear shorts, long socks, tennis shoes and a baseball cap; you look ridiculous. Same goes for English louts in Europe with jeans and t-shirts. Locals tend to find tourists obnoxious, especially in heavy tourist locations, so not looking like a stereotype might be all it takes to get slightly more preferential treatment.

You should make a check list for this tour. Like
Tickets
Cloths
Residence
Visiting places
Food
Budget
Daily routine Etc

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or