Don't know what job I want.

I'm worried. I'm 24 years old, and still don't know what job I want to do. What do I do?

You get whatever job you can.

Chances are you won't be able to get the job you want straight away so get whatever job you need to survive in the meantime while you think of what job you want and rule out which ones you don't.

Sooner or later you'll realize that you'll never realistically love any job you do and you probably won't be qualified for, hired for, or even be good at the job you ACTUALLY want.

And that's what it's like to be an adult in the post 2008 economy.

Going to somewhat agree with Dirty Hipsters. The pressure to find your "dream job" is dumb. Searching your soul to find that one perfect job that matches your unique personality is harder than simply studying to become an electrician or something. I'd prefer it if my parents just told me what to do with my life, yet I am stuck in this individualistic society that expects more of me.

Since the "reality of life sucks" answer has been given, I will give the more optimistic based answer.

If you do find a dream job you want, the trick is to actually go for it. Im sure we all have thought how nice it would be to be an actor, or a musician, and while getting into those jobs is hard, its even harder if you dont do anything towards it.

Most musicians arent discovered, they make music, and perform it for whoever they can. Actors dont just get discovered, they audition for any role they can.

Ofcourse it sounds like you straight up have no idea what you want to do at all.

If you arent inhibited by personal/social issues, then just find jobs where you can, if nothing else, to support yourself. Eventually try another job, all while figuring out what you enjoy doing, and potentially what you are good at. You might be surprised what you're good at and would be willing to do for income. Maybe you're really handy with tools and would make a great repair person or mechanic and just never considered it.

i know this is an old thread but the title caught my attention. i am a 25 years old computer science graduate. didn't really get a job in that industry for multiple reasons, one being, i wasn't interested in any of those jobs. then i felt on that spectrum of what is your "dream job" or the "get a job you love and you never have to work a day in your life" and i understand its true.

but i really think it usually comes down to the individual. what your passion is, do you even have any? what do you think you are good at but anyone else isn't.

I think now days you can succeed just by being you. if you look at a lot of instagram and youtube people they succeed based on their personality, and because they have a passion for it. so i really think you just need to find what makes you want to jump out the bed everyday and chase your job/passion/hobby. but hey! thats me.

Dirty Hipsters:
You get whatever job you can.

Chances are you won't be able to get the job you want straight away so get whatever job you need to survive in the meantime while you think of what job you want and rule out which ones you don't.

Sooner or later you'll realize that you'll never realistically love any job you do and you probably won't be qualified for, hired for, or even be good at the job you ACTUALLY want.

And that's what it's like to be an adult in the post 2008 economy.

*Raises pint* I've been a HR guy for nearly five years now. Would rather be digging ditches or casting nets, but you have to take what you can get.

Start with the one you can get and take it from there.

Whatever job you get in your twenties, you will dislike by your mid-thirties, so there's no point fixating on it.

A piece of advice: "Focus on what you want to do or what you want to be". Make sure that qualities needed are inline with your passion, skills, knowledge and anything you're conversant of.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here