Advice on how to respond towards a job

About a little more than a month ago, a place very close to where I live was hiring. I know this because I'm actually Facebook friends with the person who is currently the manager at said store.

They posted on Facebook about looking for some part time employees, and since I live a 3 minute drive away and have no job at all right now, I asked for more information on the position directly.

I was given a few details and I said great, I'll put an application in.

Barely an hour later that same day, I get a message back saying "Hey, I talked with the assistant manager and we both agreed that if you put an application in, we will hire you straight on."

I said that was excellent, and put an application in that night.

And then I waited about a week and a half and messaged the manager back. "Hello, any news on that application I put in? I was wondering how long it takes for you guys to recieve it." and was told "It's already in there, but we were trying to get he people we have trained a little bit first".

I was confused. I wasn't a hundred percent sure what that meant.

So I waited again. Nothing for weeks until today, I see they are posting on Facebook again about needing employees.

Understandably, I'm a bit pissed. I was essentially told I'd have the job BY THE STORE MANAGER if I put an application in. Straight on. I've had retail experience in the past, and knowledge on what the store specifically sells (mostly music, anime merch, movies), and I live just down the road (I could walk or ride a bike there in a very reasonable amount of time if I needed to)

How, or should, I contact them again?

DeliveryGodNoah:
About a little more than a month ago, a place very close to where I live was hiring. I know this because I'm actually Facebook friends with the person who is currently the manager at said store.

They posted on Facebook about looking for some part time employees, and since I live a 3 minute drive away and have no job at all right now, I asked for more information on the position directly.

I was given a few details and I said great, I'll put an application in.

Barely an hour later that same day, I get a message back saying "Hey, I talked with the assistant manager and we both agreed that if you put an application in, we will hire you straight on."

I said that was excellent, and put an application in that night.

And then I waited about a week and a half and messaged the manager back. "Hello, any news on that application I put in? I was wondering how long it takes for you guys to recieve it." and was told "It's already in there, but we were trying to get he people we have trained a little bit first".

I was confused. I wasn't a hundred percent sure what that meant.

So I waited again. Nothing for weeks until today, I see they are posting on Facebook again about needing employees.

Understandably, I'm a bit pissed. I was essentially told I'd have the job BY THE STORE MANAGER if I put an application in. Straight on. I've had retail experience in the past, and knowledge on what the store specifically sells (mostly music, anime merch, movies), and I live just down the road (I could walk or ride a bike there in a very reasonable amount of time if I needed to)

How, or should, I contact them again?

talk to them in person or over the phone if you can, emails and texts can be forgotten and at worst ignored. don't be afraid to nag them it will show that you're eager and want the job.

carlsberg export:

talk to them in person or over the phone if you can, emails and texts can be forgotten and at worst ignored. don't be afraid to nag them it will show that you're eager and want the job.

I actually contacted them the day after I posted this and was given an "explanation" of sorts. Basically, they said they were concerned about training me on weekends (which is what the job offer was for, as an extra weekend job, maybe during the week if needed) because the store is busy weekends (it's really not. The store is located in a dead ass mall which gets a max of maybe 30-40 people during the weekends. Most of the stores might have one-four people at any given time with the exception of the clothing stores).

But why couldn't they have just inform me of that rather than not telling me anything and then trying to ask for new employees again? I never said I wasn't available during weekdays, plus I've had plenty of retail experience already on only need "trained" on the specifics of that store. (I'm just venting now, I'm sorry)

After explaining to them that I'm available during the week, I just need to know when at least a day or two prior, I was told that we'll do training sometime next week when the assistant manager gets off vacation.

What bewilders me is how this person ever became manager. They are 18 years old, and the assisstant is 22. I know age doesn't necessarily dictate experience, but so far it really looks like they don't know what they're doing, which concerns me, but this is the only place that has ever contacted me back about my application.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here