Email Problem

Hi I'm Having Trouble sending email from my account, when i try to send some i get this error message.

Sending of the message failed.
The Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.west.cox.net does not support the selected authentication method. Please change the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing Server (SMTP)'.

what does this mean and how do i fix it?

Edit: My email Client is Cox and the Program is Mozilla Thunderbird.

Check your SMTP settings in your account settings. Use port 587 with TLS enabled or 465 with SSL enabled. Not sure if it needs the authentication method to be normal password or password transmitted securely so try both and see what works.

I will warn you though - actually using the shitty email accounts tied to your ISP isn't generally a good idea. Even if they don't have absurdly small storage limits if you change ISP you lose access to your email address. There are plenty of unbundled free alternatives that don't have that problem.

SnowyGamester:
Snip

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I changed the port to 465 and switched the authentication method to normal password instead of automatic secure. I guessing what method it was choosing for me wasn't cutting it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here