Sources indicate that a Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door remaster is in the works for Nintendo Switch, a long-awaited RPG redo for TTYD.

Rumor: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remaster Is in the Works

Super Paper Mario on Wii has its fans, and there are scattered pockets of enthusiasts for other games in the franchise, especially the recent Paper Mario: The Origami King on Nintendo Switch. However, there are really only two games in the Paper Mario franchise that people love without any asterisks attached: the original Paper Mario on Nintendo 64 and sequel Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on GameCube. The former is already available as part of Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack. And now, a rumor claims Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (TTYD) has a remaster in the works for imminent release on Switch.

Recommended Videos

PikminSnezkov of Famiboards has made the claim that a Thousand-Year Door remaster is “coming soon” as a result of discussions with three anonymous sources, and separately on a Discord channel, the leaker further claimed, “Everyone knows about this in the ‘insider circles’ but no one wants to talk about it. There seems to be a some sort of agreement that they want to keep it as a surprise or something.” Well, if that’s true, it’s not a surprise anymore! But of course, this is only a rumor. Previously, this leaker came forward with details on an alleged canceled Donkey Kong game, only to then recant their own account and renounce the information. So, this is not a slam dunk — merely food for thought.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door could certainly use a Switch remaster, since TTYD launched in 2004 and hasn’t really been seen since. It’s most players’ favorite game in the franchise, but as for me personally, I got so bored with all the reading in the game that I ended up quitting it way back when. I love RPGs and thoroughly enjoyed the first game, but TTYD just didn’t click with me the first time around.

These are wild times for alleged remasters and remakes of RPGs, considering there are more convincing reports that a Skies of Arcadia remaster and Persona 3 remake are in the works.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Demand Cosmetic Refunds Following Avatar Update
pokemon go avatar refund
Read Article Matthew Mercer Pulls Off a Shocking Critical Role First
Read Article Taylor Swift Fans Think Her New Album Confirms Her Role in Deadpool & Wolverine
Dazzler using her powers in Marvel Comics.
Related Content
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Demand Cosmetic Refunds Following Avatar Update
pokemon go avatar refund
Read Article Matthew Mercer Pulls Off a Shocking Critical Role First
Read Article Taylor Swift Fans Think Her New Album Confirms Her Role in Deadpool & Wolverine
Dazzler using her powers in Marvel Comics.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.