The Last of Us multiplayer game update concept art 2 Naughty Dog 10th anniversary 37 million units sold

The Last of Us Multiplayer Game Gets Another Tease, Series Has Sold 37 Million Copies

Developer Naughty Dog has reminded us that the The Last of Us franchise will turn 10 years old in June, terrifying us all with how fast time flies, and co-president Neil Druckmann has revealed that the games have sold more than 37 million units in total to date. Considering the series only consists of two games, a bit of DLC, and an obscene amount of remasters and remakes, 37 million is a lot. Naughty Dog has also shared a second piece of concept art (below) for its upcoming The Last of Us multiplayer game, which still has no official name.

Recommended Videos

The Last of Us multiplayer game update concept art 2 Naughty Dog 10th anniversary 37 million units sold

The first piece of concept art for the The Last of Us multiplayer game came during Summer Game Fest 2022, where Druckmann revealed the game is “as big as any of our single-player games that we’ve done and in some ways bigger.” Considering that The Last of Us Part II was an absolutely massive game, expectations have risen for whatever this multiplayer project is accordingly. Incidentally, this new game began life as an intended multiplayer mode for The Last of Us Part II, but it ultimately was spun off into its own standalone entity.

More details about the game won’t arrive until later this year, but in the interim, Druckmann said, “With a team led by Vinit Agarwal, Joe Pettinati, and Anthony Newman, the project is shaping up to be a fresh, new experience from our studio, but one rooted in Naughty Dog’s passion for delivering incredible stories, characters, and gameplay.”

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Rocket League Boost Update Hailed As “Huge Win” and “Utterly Pointless”
rocket league update
Read Article Castlevania Fans Discover the Konami Code in a 25-Year-Old Game
The werewolf Cornell in Castlevania
Read Article Bethesda Reveals Official Stats for Prime Video’s Fallout Characters
Walton Goggins as The Ghoul in Fallout Season 1.
Related Content
Read Article Rocket League Boost Update Hailed As “Huge Win” and “Utterly Pointless”
rocket league update
Read Article Castlevania Fans Discover the Konami Code in a 25-Year-Old Game
The werewolf Cornell in Castlevania
Read Article Bethesda Reveals Official Stats for Prime Video’s Fallout Characters
Walton Goggins as The Ghoul in Fallout Season 1.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.