Shovel Knight Dig release date trailer Yacht Club Games Nitrome roguelite 2D pixel art adventure Nintendo Switch Apple Arcade PC Steam

Shovel Knight Dig Unearths a New Adventure This September

Yacht Club Games and co-developer Nitrome have at last announced a release date of September 23, 2022 for Shovel Knight Dig on Nintendo Switch, Apple Arcade, and PC via Steam. It’s not quite a direct sequel to the smash indie hit Shovel Knight, but it is a brand new 2D adventure with upgraded visuals and audio and lots of action. The key difference is that this game is, to an extent, randomly generated, as “levels have been meticulously crafted, then stitched together using proprietary generation techniques for infinite replayability.”

Recommended Videos

If you somehow care about the story, the premise of Shovel Knight Dig is that Drill Knight has blown up Shovel Knight’s campsite and stolen his loot, causing Shovel Knight and Shield Knight to go underground after him and his gang. Shenanigans and twists and turns ensue, with some new characters appearing along the way. The gameplay then consists of your usual jumping, slashing, and digging, including new “Speed Shovel” mechanics because you will constantly be descending deeper into the earth. As you go, you will accumulate more power and wealth, including some permanently unlocked items and upgrades.

Basically, Yacht Club Games and Nitrome have a made a Shovel Knight roguelite, but they actively avoid the term in their PR for some reason. Check out the Shovel Knight Dig release date trailer and dig into those new visuals and sound. Even the YouTubers who show up for no reason are at least moderately amusing.

Shovel Knight Dig will retail for $24.99 this September, but on Steam specifically there will be a “10% off & free soundtrack promotion” at launch.

Meanwhile, Yacht Club Games is also hard at work developing Mina the Hollower, a love letter to Game Boy games, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, and other such things.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes’ Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug to Be Fixed in Upcoming Patch
Read Article Pokemon GO’s Wiglett Debut During Rediscover Kanto Event Excites & Confuses Fans
Photo of a beach scene with the Pokemon Wiglett popping out of the sand, with several question marks nearby
Read Article PSA: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Has a Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug
Screenshot of Lam in Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.
Related Content
Read Article Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes’ Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug to Be Fixed in Upcoming Patch
Read Article Pokemon GO’s Wiglett Debut During Rediscover Kanto Event Excites & Confuses Fans
Photo of a beach scene with the Pokemon Wiglett popping out of the sand, with several question marks nearby
Read Article PSA: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Has a Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug
Screenshot of Lam in Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.