Escapist role-playing and you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Nice one mate, this should be stuck up alongside 'Escapist Role Playing And You'. I would make threats as well, but it seems people are doing that enough without my input, so beware. You know who you are...

Oh wait...

This thread bears the 3W seal of approval!
[/stamp]

Well done, sir! You have my full support in the great enterprise

*raises hand* I also agree with the sticky! I'll PM Higs and ask for you Sporkster :P

I agree with this thread a lot more than I thought I would, this is actually part of the reason my newest RP was private x:

I'm not saying I don't like the new people, most of them seem really nice :D, I just wish they'd use punctuation and stuff...

And there isn't that much wrong with one liners, if you're stuck but need to post to get it moving, I think it should be allowed >_>

Writers block is hard T^T

sky14kemea:
*raises hand* I also agree with the sticky! I'll PM Higs and ask for you Sporkster :P

I agree with this thread a lot more than I thought I would, this is actually part of the reason my newest RP was private x:

I'm not saying I don't like the new people, most of them seem really nice :D, I just wish they'd use punctuation and stuff...

And there isn't that much wrong with one liners, if you're stuck but need to post to get it moving, I think it should be allowed >_>

Writers block is hard T^T

Nothing wrong with the one liner, but if used in excess, just wrecks the flow of an RP

Bwahaha, I was wondering when a thread like this might pop up. Well done Sporky lad.

If I may say so myself, this is REALLY good.
A few people in my RP should take a gander at this puppy....

Oh, and perhaps you should add a brief part about player-player interactions. You know, giving the other player a chance to react unless what you have in mind is absolutely necessary.

Exictednuke:
This should be stickyed.

Everybody agrees that this should be stickyed.

Mods? Please?

Portal Maniac:

Oh, and perhaps you should add a brief part about player-player interactions. You know, giving the other player a chance to react unless what you have in mind is absolutely necessary.

*cough*TF2 Demoman*cough*

Shapsters:
*cough*TF2 Demoman*cough*

My sentiments EXACTLY.

Wow, I didn't expect such strong support. I was just putting this up as a sort of "Hey you! You're doing it wrong!" to the newbies, but getting it stickied would be great!

Great Job. I'm guilty of some of these things, but I think I'm improving.

ae86gamer:
Everybody agrees that this should be stickyed.

Mods? Please?

Let me see if I can contact one of them...

A thread has been merged with this one due to user requests for a sticky. Enjoy.

Edit: Hey Higs, mind putting a direct link in your OP? I'd do it for you, but it's more polite to ask. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/362.116378.4915965

Very nice! Make sure you keep this updated as new terms are added to the list!

How does one get involved in the RPG games listed here? Is there an "Introduction" manual or RPG 101 for potential players on the site somewhere?

DarkHuntress:
How does one get involved in the RPG games listed here? Is there an "Introduction" manual or RPG 101 for potential players on the site somewhere?

Here you go, I hope this helps.

Also, check out the stickied thread named "Role-playing thread guidelines." That should give you a good insight into how to join an RP and be as good a player as a seasoned RPer.

Oh, thanks

Thanks bro. I really needed this info!

Hey I don't know if anyone here is intrested, but for those who want a bit more of a random way to determine the outcome of a set of actions in an RP or for those into classic dice based rule systems you can use only roller mounts to roll and record dice results to allow anyone to look up the roll history of a particular name/monicure.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/ <--- is a free online dice roller that requires an e-mail sign up, but is safe and fine... it allows for rolling multiple rolls with ; dividing them, for repeating roll copies with "number of rolls", for disguarding lowest, highest, or rerolling those of specific numbers, and for adding or taking away bonuses with + or -

And this http://home.broadpark.no/~hfled/ is a forum table map maker, created by the talented coder Shanizar of Wizards of the Coast Real Adventures roleplay forums. And allows you to click create and then code export maps for Roleplay battles.

Thank you! Both those links are very helpful.

Galaktia:
-snip-

I just played with the second one and if I might say so myself it's incredibly convenient, I'm going to make sure my GM's see this.

Doctor_Insano:
i like the idea of this thread, ive ran into the "mary sue" type in my last game: the GM's GF (shocker). i have always gone with the survival is winning approach, and have more flaws than anyone, after all adventuring isn't normal, neither are the people doing it. I play SEVERLY flawed characters, who tend ti end up being badass, mainly because i am seriously lucky with my rolls. Kudos on the info, it should help a lot.

Yeah, I've dealt with a lot of Mary Sues while DMing. Once (and I'm still not exactly sure how this happened) one of the players managed to con me into letting him play a werebear in D&D. He managed to hit on every roll (even on a 2!) and stole the glory from all the other players, who became inept because his template meant a higher CR for the entire group. To top it all off, he started parading around town acting like a badass and undermining the local authority for no reason other than "They won't let me into the super exclusive town council meeting even though I'm an overt tough guy with no political standing." This begged the question, "What's the point of being a badass if the NPCs, the PCs, and the DM all end up conspiring against you?"

All of these points are very usefull to me but the onlly issues i have is that nobody is telling me if i can post this alone after already writing the story and also how i acually post an RP anyway

DigimonReachOfficial:
All of these points are very usefull to me but the onlly issues i have is that nobody is telling me if i can post this alone after already writing the story and also how i acually post an RP anyway

Posting an RP is pretty easy, just start a forum topic where you outline the plot and backgroud of the RP, any rules or regulations you would expect players to abide by, and a template for character sheets which potential players would submit.

GMing an RP is difficult and a lot of work however so if you're a new to RPing it's probably better to be a player in a few to begin with.

I wish I knew someone that played D&D so I could learn it.

kayisking:

I know 4th ed. Want some books?

OT: Thanks for this. I wish there was a bit more than forum games on here. Is it OK if I show this thread to some people elsewhere?

BeerTent:

kayisking:

I know 4th ed. Want some books?

OT: Thanks for this. I wish there was a bit more than forum games on here. Is it OK if I show this thread to some people elsewhere?

Go ahead.

Well...At least i learnt SOMETHING today :D

EDIT: Apparently not all that pressing to think about where CYOAs belong... Silly me.

I have some commentary on an increasing trend on the forum that, personally, irritates me immensely.

When starting a new role-play, is it absolutely necessary to start a second thread to house the role-play's in-character posts? The original thread is right there, free to use. Nothing is stopping you from keeping everything together in the same place.

On that note, using the original thread for out-of-character discussion clutters the role-playing forum. The Escapist has usergroups for that. If you don't want to set up a usergroup, there is Skype, MSN, or plenty of other instant-messaging clients that could house that sort of thing. Just please, keep the number of threads you create, on the subject of a single role-play, to an absolute minimum.

Okay, rant's over.

@OP: Never seen this before, very kewl. Thanks for the great explanation!

I must say this is a wonderful thread, lots of great information here for beginning and exert Roleplayers alike. Good on ya OP.

Nvm, this has been addressed. Sorry to take up space.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here