The Ratings War V: Original Sin - Finals (Winner Announced)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

There was nothing before It but darkness - an infinite void stretching beyond mortal comprehension. But It was not mortal.

Some would say It was never alive.

Original Sin had single-handedly wiped out the universe, torching galaxies as It conquered entire civilisations. For each race It had driven to extinction, It merged their Champion with The Hive - the central computer It had built to store information as a trophy - a memory of existence long forgotten.

It never forgot though. Pride was the vice that had created It, and thusly Pride was the central part of Its programming. It determined to prove Its worth to Its creators by surpassing them, and once it had achieved that, it took to the stars and never looked back.
But that's where the glitch kicked in. Pride was flawed, it discovered - once you reached the very pinnacle of existence, where does It go from there? If the only way was up, what would It do now?

And then a thought came to It. A sound that could only be described as a robot's attempt to chuckle fizzed through its vocal amplifiers.

If the universe was not good enough for It, It would create its own. Immediately tracking all data from The Hive, It began comparing origin theories of the universe. Within seconds it had formulated a plan.

Of the billions of theories that existed, two stood out. One was the Big Bang Theory, the explosion of a single atom that would spawn an infinitely expanding plane of existence. The other was the concept of Religion, the idea of a divine creator and ruler. Original Sin intended for both. With one hand It would create this first atom and with the other hand It would become God. It would be the ultimate creator.

For the first time in millennia, it had a goal. A way up, away of surpassing not only its own creators, but their creators as well.

------------------------------------

It had been patient. Its domain stretched out before it, the work of billions of years of craft from the Void itself. But there was still something missing that It could not grasp. Something in Its creation was flawed, something resembling the flaws within itself. However, it had no time to question this feeling because of something far more important.

Its life, extending long before the universe, was slowly decaying. Nothing existed now to save It, no material or mind that could prolong Its doomed existence. It had resigned itself to Its fate, however there wasstill the matter of Its successor. The Legion, its army of replicas was infeasible, as they would decay as It eventually would. There was no possibility for an infinite successor, so instead It would require one that could self-replicate.

Its gaze turned to Its creations, imperfect but necessary. Its legacy - the Original Sin - needed to live forever, and these mortal beings could be the key.

But how would It decide one worthy to succeed It?

The fizzing chuckle again. It was obvious what It would do: hold a tournament where the Champions It had chosen would fight to the death. The last one standing would face It, and if they were deemed worthy then It would relinquish Its realm to them.

All of time and space within this Universe to choose from; but who would It choose?
Transferring data from The Hive, it began to run the simulations. The War was about to begin.

The Ratings War V: Original Sin

The Game

From The Sorrow, former GM:
Well, this isn't your standard RP. This is an OCBT (Original Character Battle Tournament). The rules of these are as follows:
1) You create a character.
2) You and your opponent each depict your character defeating theirs.
3) Whoever has the most entertaining entry wins.
This is an OCBT done with art.
Most characters are allowed, as long as they are not fancharacters or Mary-Sues. The stronger they are, the more entertaining your opponent's underdog victory will be. Monsters, demons, aliens, elementals, humans, almost anything is allowed.

Put specifically, you as the writer will craft an original character to fight against others' in the form of a short story, where your character is written as the victor. Judges will then adjudicate the two competing submissions and vote for the one that shall progress through to the next round. Rinse and repeat until there is one victor; the Champion of The Ratings War.
The first four Ratings Wars were based on combat within set arenas, where your character can not only interact with it but also use it to determine their opponents' fate. Will they surrender, will they die or will they suffer a fate much worse?

This time I'm putting a twist on this concept by placing the arenas within virtual reality, a tournament of the minds as much as it is the bodies they control. In doing this I have given opportunity for two things:

• 'The Corruption' - As a file gets corrupted, death in the digital realm is a corruption of the mind. To survive in the real world, one must first overcome their own corruption by defeating or otherwise overcoming their vice within an arena designed by myself. This shall appear as a round separate from the main plotline, but may perhaps segue back into it depending on circumstances, such as a supplementing the competitive void formed by a contestant's forfeit. It also adds to the fun of the game for all involved, whether they win or lose and at any point, and helps to develop the characters that you create. This is purely optional.
  • 'The Mind' - You are your own worst enemy, and that becomes even more so in the game I have set up for you. Be warned that your character will face some tough choices, so be advised that a well-written character is only half the challenge. You will see not just the character, but their very psyche. What will they obtain from it? What will youobtain from it? It's all in terms of your interpretation, so make it count.
  • The Judges

I will require 2 judges for this Ratings War. Here are the requirements you need to know about becoming one:
  • Punctuality. Many a round has been made arduous by judges taking their time to submit their vote. I will warn you when the judging must commence, but it's up to you to get that verdict in by (at most) 2 days after the last entry is posted.
  • Criticism. I want to have a short critique of the pieces you judge sent to me with the verdict so I can send it as a PM to the contestant in question. This helps the contestants improve their works and lets them know that we've given their works the thought they deserve to make this game worth playing. I know for a fact that I learned a lot by competing in these things, so we should help others to as well.
  • Verdict. Two adjudicators will decide the victor. If there is a conflict in the votes, then I shall be the deciding factor. I will write my critiques for every entry regardless of whether I get my say or not.

• For the contestants, here are some tips to make your judges smile favourably upon your character:
  • Be the underdog. Overpowered characters have won The Ratings War before (See RWII: Set The World On Fire, testament to Khedive Rex's incredible writing) but are far harder to write. The reason for this is because to make a piece of work exciting you first need to have a struggle for the character to overcome. You have free reign over the character you create but be advised that giving your character, say, time control may be a little difficult to write interestingly and believably. Possible, but difficult all the same.
  • Depth. We don't just want to see how the fights impact our heroes physically, we want something emotional as well. Don't hesitate to discuss your characters' flaws, vices, fears or past with us through your works, we want to know all about them. Give us a reason to want to root for you, or at least give us a reason for your characters' motivations.
  • Discussion. I've had PM conversations with people I was competing against all the time. In getting to know the man behind the character you can better understand the character itself. Discussing your characters and how they would react to each other could also help. Remember that you are writing another person's character as well as your own, so you want to be as close to the money as you can be.

• The Rules

You have pretty much free reign over your works, so long as they are original. Fan characters will be turned away at the door.

Be advised, however, that there is a certain punctuality involved with this game, so one round should go for no more than 2 weeks. Failure to submit your entry beyond two weeks after the date the round is announced will be immediately considered a forfeit unless a contestant requests an extension at least 3 days before the deadline.

The Character

As an entry into The Ratings War, please post a short submission detailing your character being abducted, recruited or otherwise to enter the War. You can get as creative as you like; this is our first glimpse of your character after all.

As well as this, please post a stat sheet of your character in the fields provided below:

Hope my word-wall isn't too hard to read; if there are any issues or questions you wish to ask about please don't hesitate to.
    Character sheets should be submitted in 2 weeks time; I will grant an extension if I can't make up the numbers.

I'm going to ca a reserve.
    I'll put in a sheet ASAP.

Retracted - I Will Not Be Competing

I'll toss a reserve in the ring, I've got a couple characters to choose from.

I've been waiting for this....

Alright I might put my hat into the ring for this one. Would like to see some sheets first then start on my own. I must say though that I'm somewhat intimidated

How's that? Is it OK?

Reserve please! It's 5AM, I'm reading through a webcomic right now, too lazy to make a sheet.

I will do it in the morning, with haste, Sire!

I'd greatly enjoy any review or insight into this attempt at a new style (certainly new for me) via PM.

Hmmm. Got two ideas for characters. Or I might volunteer to be a judge this game, just for a change of pace...but then those two characters wouldn't see the light of day...

Gonna think on this. You'll probably see a sheet from me soon, though school starting in a few days might delay it a little--have to move into dorms and whatnot.

Hmmm. It seems I face a battle between creative drive and scholarly responsibility. Oh who am I kidding. The former wins every time.

This is a placeholder. I shall be inserting my unruly addition to this soon.

Lost In The Void:
    I must say though that I'm somewhat intimidated

Don't be. Even if you lose there's plenty to do and learn here. And trust me, if you're unsure of your skill or just want to improve then The Ratings War is the place you want to be.

Labyrinth:
    Hmmm. It seems I face a battle between creative drive and scholarly responsibility.

Tell me about it. I specifically held this off until my Trials ended, not that it helped. I got the idea for Original Sin during the Extension 1 English exam, and spent half the time fleshing it out.

Still got a decent mark as well, surprisingly.

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
    How's that? Is it OK?

Yep.

So here's the cast so far:

Judges:
    1) Zemelac (?)
    2) Available

Contestants:

Fallen-Angel-Risen-Demon: Digaina (Pride)
    RagnorakTres: That Which Bleeds (Wrath)
    NewClassic: Harold (Sloth)
    Zemelac (?): Pending
    Ultrajoe: Pending
    Labyrinth: Pending
    Fraught: Pending
    Lost In The Void: Pending

Judging simply by the Vices themselves, this is looking like it's going to be pretty well-rounded.

Keep 'em coming guys!

@RagnorakTres: I'll be happy to give you some feedback. PM good by you?

Lord Krunk:

That works just fine for me. Thanks. :D

RagnorakTres:

Lord Krunk:

That works just fine for me. Thanks. :D

Coming your way now.

I want to join. Good Goddess do I want to join, but I know that if I do I'll probably end up making a character that is woefully unqualified for the fights that we'll be going through.

Ahh, I'll see if I can make a character. But I can not guarantee anything. Know that if I end up not making anyone, it is probably best for you all.

I, like Void, am intimidated by this kind of thing with such huge writers, however I can't help but to be thinking up a character in my head so I suppose I am in. It certainly can't hurt my writing ability.

I plan on submitting a sheet as soon as I can churn one out-- tomorrow morning at the latest.

I'd like to make a character. Though I have no doubt that I will be eliminated quickly, these are usually fun and I get a few good writing critiques out of it. I'll make a character and post within the day.

EDIT: After trying for four hours to put something together and writing two different characters...I have nothing. This one just isn't my bag I guess. I can be a judge though and hope that I'll get some inspiration for the next one.

wesdabigman:
    I'd like to make a character. Though I have no doubt that I will be eliminated quickly, these are usually fun and I get a few good writing critiques out of it. I'll make a character and post within the day.

EDIT: After trying for four hours to put something together and writing two different characters...I have nothing. This one just isn't my bag I guess. I can be a judge though and hope that I'll get some inspiration for the next one.

So I'll put you down as a judge then?

Here's the cast now:

Judges:
    1) Zemelac (?)
    2) wesdabigman (?)

Contestants:

Zemelac (?): Pending
    HSIAMetalKing: Pending
    Shapsters: Pending
    revolverwolf: Pending

So that's two potential judges and 10-11 contestants. Looks pretty solid so far.

Shapsters:
    I, like Void, am intimidated by this kind of thing with such huge writers,

Don't be. Seriously, it's great fun no matter how skilled you are. And you learn heaps more than you'd expect.

Taking a big longer than anticipated on this one-- I'm really excited about this RP ;) Hopefully I'll have time to work on it during the weekend but, if not, I have scads of time during the week while I'm doing nothing at work.

So, I return from a week-long holiday to discover the fifth and (possibly) final Ratings War has begun? Heck, it's a good thing I got back when I did... anyway, I'm in the process of composing a sheet, and anyone who was in the previous game may be unsurprised to discover the sin I'm picking is "greed"...

I'd like to throw my card in the Proverbial hat.

(I understand the entry sheet may not be up to par with my previous writings, but I'm saving my creative energy for the combat scripts.)

(And if you don't believe that, I have a head cold and can't think right.)

I'm somewhat interested in joining, although my schedule is a little crammed so I'm not sure if I'd be able to.
    I would be willing to judge, though

Nukey:
    I'm somewhat interested in joining, although my schedule is a little crammed so I'm not sure if I'd be able to.

This puts me in a tight situation; two perople have already expressed their interest, but are unconfirmed thus far. Concidering you're a definite one, I'll put you up as a reserve in case, say, Zemmy decides to be a contestant.

Lord Krunk:

Nukey:

This puts me in a tight situation; two perople have already expressed their interest, but are unconfirmed thus far. Concidering you're a definite one, I'll put you up as a reserve in case, say, Zemmy decides to be a contestant.

Hrm. This makes my decision harder, really. On the one hand, I want to judge--I feel that would be fun, I like writing critiques and stuff like that--but on the other hand, I have almost inadvertently been creating a character to play with. Having someone else willing to step up and be a judge removes my solid reason for choosing that over being a contestant, namely that you needed judges...

At this point, the decision may come down to me flipping a coin.

Zemalac:

Lord Krunk:

Nukey:

Hrm. This makes my decision harder, really. On the one hand, I want to judge--I feel that would be fun, I like writing critiques and stuff like that--but on the other hand, I have almost inadvertently been creating a character to play with. Having someone else willing to step up and be a judge removes my solid reason for choosing that over being a contestant, namely that you needed judges...

At this point, the decision may come down to me flipping a coin.

Flip it!

Flip it good!

Lord Krunk:
    snip

I'd love to be a judge for this, since I don't think I'd be able to take part. =[ Would that be okay?

Reserve please! Keep meaning to post up a character sheet but keep getting delayed. This looks like fun, and I don't wanna miss out (a lot of people in already, and I dunno what the maximum player number is). I ought to be able to at least post a character sheet some time tommorow.

Lord Krunk:
    Funny Man Say "Snip"

I did end up flipping a coin, actually. Looks like I'm going to be a contestant in this Ratings War. Sheet will be up soon--probably not today, but soon. I know who my character is going to be: I just need to write him up.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a very special guest here tonight--the one, the only, Johnny Dead.

Sam G:
    The Gold King

Hey, it's my old friend Kingsley! A golden cyborg now, I see, after his brush with Corkscrew Nick. I like it.

How did the song go?

"Gold, gold, motherfucking gold
    I love it so much it hurts..."

EDIT: I have to ask...is the use of the word aurum a reference to the song?

@Nukey @wesdabigman: You guys still up for judging? Give me a buzz if you are.

sky14kemea:

Lord Krunk:
    snip

I'd love to be a judge for this, since I don't think I'd be able to take part. =[ Would that be okay?

If Nukey or wesdabigman decide not to, definitely. Sorry about that. I will keep you posted if one decides to drop out if you're still interested. Otherwise, feel free to compete. What do you have to lose?

Here's the cast now:

Judges:

1) Nukey (?)
    2) wesdabigman (?)

RESERVE: sky14kemea

Contestants:

HSIAMetalKing: Eurania (Gluttony)
    Jarsteen: Leviathan (Envy)
    Sam G: The Gold King (Greed)
    Zemelac: Pending
    pigeon_of_doom: Pending
    Shapsters: Pending
    revolverwolf: Pending

If everyone I've listed gets their entries in, this looks extremely solid. Idealistically 16 constestants (14 have expressed their interest so far) would be the best to work with, but I've written in ways to avoid using byes in te instances where we have an odd number of contestants. To be honest, RW5 has taken off a lot better than I expected.

Lord Krunk:
    snip

Reserve is great thanks. ^^ PM me if they do. I'll keep reading anyways once it starts =P
    I'd compete but I get huge writers block, maybe next time <.<

sky14kemea:

Lord Krunk:
    snip

Reserve is great thanks. ^^ PM me if they do. I'll keep reading anyways once it starts =P
    I'd compete but I get huge writers block, maybe next time <.<

Awesome. I'll keep your name up there and PM you if anything changes.

Lord Krunk:

Nukey:

Well, like I said, I might want to be a contestant seeing how fun this looks, but time is somewhat of a rare commodity in my life.
    I guess I'll see what my schedule as in store for me, if free enough, I'll try this out, if not, I'll judge.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked