The Ratings War V: Original Sin - Finals (Winner Announced)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

sky14kemea:
A cold breeze drifted through the thread, as one of the judges looked to her left, then to her right. It was quiet... Very quiet.
She frowned, looking at her comically large watch, where was everybody?
_____

I know people still have 8 days, but man it's slowed down in here. xD

I've got five-hundred words. Was planning on writing maybe another couple thousand over the weekend, and then paring it down to the word limit.

You won't find much going on in the thread in between rounds, though.

Doc Gnosis:
Well, if you're looking for a progress report, I can tell you that I'm working on it.

.... Oh btw, hello everybody! :)

Hello there. Good to meet ya.

Sorry for any bad grammar/spelling. I'm terrible at spelling.

Anyway, that was my entry. I think I could have done better, but it will do.
It was also made harder by the fact that I could not use my power. : (

sky14kemea:

It's kind of the Ratings War thing. Don't worry, the thread will explode again when the 8th comes around.

Funnily enough, we're drawing close to matching The Ratings War IV in both posts and views. And that one's finished. Not intending to stroke my own ego, but I think this is the biggest one yet.

I've done several posts... but I'm not happy with any of them. Trying to Frankenstein a few of my better/favorite parts of them together into a super post, but it's not going so well at the moment, sadly.

But yes, I am working as well.

Doc Gnosis:
.... Oh btw, hello everybody! :)

AND HELLO TO YOU AS WELL, SCARY MAN

sky14kemea:
A cold breeze drifted through the thread, as one of the judges looked to her left, then to her right. It was quiet... Very quiet.
_____

...Wait, this takes place in a universe where all life has been destroyed and a giant black universe devouring super computer is the sole being left in existence, essentially playing with code for a couple of seconds while to the human constructs of code inside it may seem like weeks, months, or even years...

...I guess we could be complex sentient judging programs...with comically sized watches. Yeah, yeah. I'm cool with this.

wesdabigman:

sky14kemea:
_____

...Wait, this takes place in a universe where all life has been destroyed and a giant black universe devouring super computer is the sole being left in existence, essentially playing with code for a couple of seconds while to the human constructs of code inside it may seem like weeks, months, or even years...

...I guess we could be a complex sentient judging programs...with comically sized watches. Yeah, yeah. I'm cool with this.

The Mac, Linux and Windows of judging; all with different tastes and compatibilities .

I guess you can fight over who's who.

To confess, this is over the word limit, I wish the limit was slightly raised; I had to cut down a lot of things.

But, here's my story.

Ladies and gentlemen.

RagnorakTres has asked for an extension so I have given it to him; both he and @Zombie_Fish have until the 12th to get their entries in.

For everyone else, entries are due in 2 days.

Once everything is judged, I'll begin Round 2 and send out the reviews for Round 1 simultaneously. After that I will be on hiatus until the 3rd of November - my HSC begins in less than 2 weeks and I'll be forced to divert my attention from The Ratings War. You'll hardly notice my disappearance though because Round 2 will be in progress during that time.

That's all from me for now.

Well... here goes nothing. I'm anxious to see where this gets me!

Hrm... I'm not as happy with this post as I would like to be, but the deadline is fast approaching and I don't know if I'll be on in time tomorrow to meet said deadline. Hence- this is my post... Enjoy!

I should be sleeping right now. But I can't help myself. So-

EVERYONE GETS A REVIEW!!! YOU GET A REVIEW!!! AND YOU GET A REVIEW!!!

>_> I editted my post a teensy bit... Left a word out here and there... Is that a problem since I already posted? I've got the original saved on my computer, so if it is, I'll just copy/paste that back up.

Also, I realize I went over the word limit slightly... I can fix that too, if necessary >_>

GODDAMMIT, POST SO I CAN SEE MY DOOM, ZEMALAC!

Soothsayer:
>_> I editted my post a teensy bit... Left a word out here and there... Is that a problem since I already posted? I've got the original saved on my computer, so if it is, I'll just copy/paste that back up.

Also, I realize I went over the word limit slightly... I can fix that too, if necessary >_>

GODDAMMIT, POST SO I CAN SEE MY DOOM, ZEMALAC!

Its still the 8th here so I'm sure that Krunk will be ok with it. As for the word limit, I don't think anyone's entry has been under the limit at all

Edit: Also

Khedive Rex:
I should be sleeping right now. But I can't help myself. So-

EVERYONE GETS A REVIEW!!! YOU GET A REVIEW!!! AND YOU GET A REVIEW!!!

Thank you for the kind words and the improvements needed. Funnily enough it wasn't meant to be a reference to the Bear Jew, hell I haven't even seen the movie in months, it was more I was going for an unexpected flash of rage. As for the character himself I've spent a lot of time writing this kind of character and I've always tried to get between the archtypes, in this case it seems to work, though it appears I do need improvement on a few things. Thank you again for the critique, always love to hear it when I write.

Khedive Rex:
Review that makes me smile

I thought that beating Sam G in this round was enough of an ego boost, but you make my entry sound so good I feel as if I need to go back and read it again. I just hope I can keep up the same standard of writing in future rounds.

Thank you greatly for the review, Khedive.

Khedive Rex:
If the word limit weren't there I'd say to add a little more flash to the end of the fight and a final look at Amelia to see what she makes of it all.

I was, in fact, writing a little piece to explain what Amelia felt after realising what it was she had just done. But now that the 8th is upon us I think it might manage to mix in with the Part 2 entries by the time that it's done and end up confusing people.

Okay, we're just waiting on @Zemelac, @pigeon_of_doom and @NewClassic now.

Soothsayer:

I've allowed plenty of people to go a little over the limit so you'll be fine. Editing is fine too until I close the round.

Currently fixing my laptop. On phone with tech support. Posting this from iPod. Post will be up later tonight, unless something goes terribly wrong.

Khedive Rex:

Aahh nice to see some reviews at last, I was hoping to hear what people thought of it!

Lets see... I used the trap because of "Two Champions duel to the death in a ring of unforgiving traps and feral beasts." which was in the description of the Arena. I was torn between the trap and a lion however I had written myself into a bit of a corner and I actually kind of wanted to end on an anticlimactic note. See if I would have gone on to later rounds (and if I write against the fellow losers) I had/have plans to end them all like that. In fact I wanted Ryan to be attacked as much as possible and attack back as little as possible yet end up winning, thought it not only added to the luck but also the incompetence. Also, "He abruptly kicked something buried in the sand", was the trap >.> Guess I didn't make that clear enough.

As for Void's character development, I too was disappointed by my lack of character expansion because I was hoping Ryan would kind of realize via trying to talk Fredrick down how desperate he was and use that to his advantage. However that nasty limit came into play and I just didn't have the patience or time to re-edit the whole piece.

On that note I had nasty writers block around the time of my entry and I literally wrote the thing in 2 hours the day it was due. Looking at it that way I am really happy how it turned out and the only major thing I would have changed was adding more development for Fredrick.

I greatly appreciate the review and I'm hoping there is someone else out there who would want to review it, I appreciate the critique.

Listen closely.

Here's my submission, then. I started writing it yesterday, and finished it yesterday, but I didn't know whether it was okay to be over the word limit at all. With that said, it's only 95 words past the 1,000 word mark, though, and Krunk said it's a'okay, so here it is.
Though I edited it a tiny bit. It's a biiiit longer, but not by much. The amount of words I added should add, like, at the maximum 20 seconds of reading time. No harm, and much good done, right?

Okay, well. Usually when I write something, and read it a few days later, a week later, or any other slightly bigger amount of time has passed, I always find it, in my opinion, to be and sound slightly better than what I thought it was during when I wrote it.

With that said, I wanted to do so much more, I had a lot of stuff planned that swept into my mind when I finally started to do it yesterday, but alas, most of it I left out, because during writing, I saw the "Words: 1000" impending, and I tried to think of something that'd end it quicker. Also, the final product was 1,274 words, but I trimmed it down considerably. And, well, I think it suffered greatly for that. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, seeing as Zemalac's submission is about 1,200 words.

I also wanted to add a paragraph which would explain why the knife flew straight through the sheet of metal (and why they fell unconscious (hint hint, because they died)) but I left that out. But believe me, it isn't just a glaring, stupid plot hole that I unintentionally did. Maybe I'll explain it in future fights, if the chance comes up. Heh, Chance.

I PMed Krunk asking if being late was okay. I've been slammed by the Mod Queue of late, not to mention uni. Either way, I'm in now. Judges, don't read this until I get the "OK" from Krunk, I don't want to potentially win by cheating. Nope, it's good to go.

I'm free to admit, I ate the word count alive on this one, all the way up to 1,500 words, which was my cut-off. It's pretty hard to squeeze that much exposition in, plus I wanted to do my thing with Harold's friends. I could've cut that and been over by only 200 words, but I feel like Harold as a character isn't the same without that dynamic.

Anyway, it's in late, hope it's worth the effort of reading it. And if the judges do end up looking over it, sorry it's so long. Hopefully my word limit will be bigger next time around.

NewClassic:
snip

Maybe I should have checked before I answered your PM.

Because it's only been a matter of hours from when I said I'd close the round, I'll allow it. So Round 1 Part 2 is now closed - RagnorakTres' piece is due on the 12th, but the judges have plenty of work ahead of them regardless.

@sky14kemea @Nukey and @wesdabigman , you guys know what to do.

Lord Krunk:
snip.

Since Rag has till the 12th, mind if I don't PM any judging's till then as well? (Obviously I'll start even before he's posted, and just wait to judge the arena he's in when it's posted.) I'm in the middle of trying to move out of my parents house and I'm exhausted from cleaning. Dx Plus I have to start painting tomorrow.
/excuses. >_>

sky14kemea:

Lord Krunk:
snip.

Since Rag has till the 12th, mind if I don't PM any judging's till then as well? (Obviously I'll start even before he's posted, and just wait to judge the arena he's in when it's posted.) I'm in the middle of trying to move out of my parents house and I'm exhausted from cleaning. Dx Plus I have to start painting tomorrow.
/excuses. >_>

I'll allow it, but be advised that I'm trying to get everything done by the 15th so I can focus on tests. I don't know if I will, I know I'm cutting it close.

Good luck with the whole moving out thing by the way! Next year myself and a bunch of friends intend to do the same.

Lord Krunk:

sky14kemea:

Lord Krunk:
snip.

/excuses. >_>

I'll allow it, but be advised that I'm trying to get everything done by the 15th so I can focus on tests. I don't know if I will, I know I'm cutting it close.

Good luck with the whole moving out thing by the way! Next year myself and a bunch of friends intend to do the same.

And I should have it done on the 12th, maybe even on the 11th (which is today technically... >.>)
I'll Pm it all in one go though ^^ I wont let ya down.

Alright, this is far from perfect, but it stands. It's something. It's about as good as it's gonna get.

And so, with no further ado....

I have no doubt that this is over the word limit, but I feel like it's all necessary. I can't say this is my best showing in this competition, but it's what I've got with this character. Let me just say that it's been a pleasure reading the entries this far and I intend to keep up with you all until the very last round.

I was just reading through most of the entries (Yay productivity!) And I can't find an entry by Zombie_Fish. :l

sky14kemea:
I was just reading through most of the entries (Yay productivity!) And I can't find an entry by Zombie_Fish. :l

It's called Being half-assed.

Ragnorak and I were given an extension till the 12th; I'll have mine up later tonight[1].

[1] By 'later tonight', expect one entry by about 3am, knowing how late I stay up on stuff like this.

Zombie_Fish:

sky14kemea:

It's called Being half-assed.

Ragnorak and I were given an extension till the 12th; I'll have mine up later tonight

Okey doke then. xD I was just saying.

sky14kemea:
Okey doke then. xD I was just saying.

'Salright. Just wanting to let people know that I'm still in this.

There's all 996 words of it. And now, let us all be amused as Zombie attempts to do AS Further Maths homework at twenty past one in the morning! (wooh!)

Well, that's all the entries in. The judges know their task and I've received one set of verdicts so far.

I haven't received any word from Nukey though, I might drop him a PM to find out what's going on.

Lord Krunk:
Well, that's all the entries in. The judges know their task and I've received one set of verdicts so far.

I haven't received any word from Nukey though, I might drop him a PM to find out what's going on.

I can try to reach him on Skype as well, we'll find him and get him back on track

Lost In The Void:

Lord Krunk:

I can try to reach him on Skype as well, we'll find him and get him back on track

Worst comes to worst, I'll return to my original plan and be the decider. You might have to wait longer for the results/reviews though; 3 days until the HSC begins, you see. God help us all.

Lord Krunk:

Lost In The Void:

Lord Krunk:

Worst comes to worst, I'll return to my original plan and be the decider. You might have to wait longer for the results/reviews though; 3 days until the HSC begins, you see. God help us all.

Damn I'm already going Mad already I should be able to talk to him today but none the less, driving me mad XD

ARENA 3: Gray Eminence (Doc Gnosis) v By Default (NewClassic)

WINNER: NewClassic

ARENA 6: Carl Grob (pigeon_of_doom) v Leviathan (Jarsteen)

WINNER: Pigeon of Doom

ARENA 7: That Which Bleeds (RagnorakTres) v The Drifter (Zombie_Fish)

WINNER: Zombie_Fish

ARENA 8: Chance Connie (Fraught) v Dan Freeman (venom 3135)

WINNER: Fraught

ARENA 9: Kliss (Zemalac) v Beuxhart (Soothsayer)

WINNER: Soothsayer

Three things I have to say:

1) Arena 7 is missing one verdict, and that verdict just happens to be a decider. I decided to put this up so everyone else could see their results; expect the Arena 7 winner to be edited in sometime today. I'll let you know. Everything's sorted.

2) Round 2 will be up soon, alongside the reviews that I will begin distributing. In a perfect world it'll begin in the next 2 days, but chances are more likely it'll happen on the weekend, after my first test.

3) Of all the results we have seen, the one that stood out the most was the result of Arena 9. A newbie takes on a champion and knocks him out first round? Kudos to you, Soothsayer.

It really is a testament to the great writers we have here, and I can't wait to see what you'll come up with for Round 2. I'm not going to say much, but there'll be a twist this time around. Oh, and no word limit. AND THE CROWD REJOICED

I'll see you soon.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked