Just Another Day: A Zombie Survival Choose Your Own Adventure

 Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT
 

Waiting for more votes (if anyone still wants to play), but I tried to recreate Alex in The Last Stand: Union City.

http://armorgames.com/play/12009/the-last-stand-union-city

I'm advertising I guess, but whatever. She's got Oliver and Tyler with her, although there wasn't a head bandanna or the right kind of coat.

EDIT: Hasn't uploaded properly (She's my avatar). I'll try again.

b) Leave the city.

I cannot stress this enough. A large group of people is bound to draw the attention of hordes of zombies, and that only puts yourself at greater risk. Not only that, but we would also be taking a trip to the hospital. That's bound to be the most infested point in the city. We should be running in the direct opposite direction.

As for the possibility of rescuing other survivors, they've isolated themselves at the top of a skyscraper. Trying to fight your way up is suicide considering that if the horde follows you up, you'll be trapped along with everyone else. You're not the hero in this story. Aside from a few brushes with the undead, you have no fighting experience whatsoever. So let the police do their job and stay out of the way.

Besides, when you're in a group of that size and you get swarmed, you'll never know when some trigger-happy officer mistakes you for the undead and busts a cap in your head.

But what about the value of friendship, RaNDM?

Benndak:
But what about the value of friendship, RaNDM?

I'm sorry. I didn't think friendship was high on our list of priorities, what with the downfall of civilization as we know it. My mistake. I promise to work on my friendship skills more when we get ourselves slaughtered on the way to the hospital.

That post was sarcastic, by the way.

I think you're really overplaying the apocalypse themes of this CYOA (and for that matter the above-mentioned value of friendship), and also being really snarky and deadpan.

Which is why he has convinced me. Change my vote to hurt feelings, and also B.

I'm inclined to vote B, but the GM is obviously railroading/guiding so I'll go along with it and vote "A". (the hints about the suburbs being filled with zombies and what not)

Plus the game would get rather boring if the story went down the path of "you make it far enough out of the city for the slow dispersal of zombie density to effectively keep you safe, and start up a post-apocalyptic agriculturally based society and die years later safely in your sleep."

Ask about the zombies.

Also is there any reason we didn't take both the Assault rifle and the M9 handgun? I mean a M9 is at tops 2 pounds fully loaded and can be useful as a back-up weapon or we can pawn it off on another survivor unlucky enough to not be equipped with a firearm.

Bohemian Waltz:
Also is there any reason we didn't take both the Assault rifle and the M9 handgun? I mean a M9 is at tops 2 pounds fully loaded and can be useful as a back-up weapon or we can pawn it off on another survivor unlucky enough to not be equipped with a firearm.

Using two guns instead of one? That just wouldn't be fair for the zombies.

Since Benndak changed his vote, that puts the score at 2-2. We need a tiebreaker.

RaNDM G:

Bohemian Waltz:
Also is there any reason we didn't take both the Assault rifle and the M9 handgun? I mean a M9 is at tops 2 pounds fully loaded and can be useful as a back-up weapon or we can pawn it off on another survivor unlucky enough to not be equipped with a firearm.

Using two guns instead of one? That just wouldn't be fair for the zombies.

It's also a fairly useful shot to the head of the Convient gun jam/misfire trope

Bohemian Waltz:
I'm inclined to vote B, but the GM is obviously railroading/guiding so I'll go along with it and vote "A". (the hints about the suburbs being filled with zombies and what not)

Railroading? Me? I'm hurt.

(Actually, I changed most of my story to suit the players' opinions and have tried to avoid railroading. But I'm not that experienced at GM/DMing, so I've probably failed on that count.)

Bohemian Waltz:

It's also a fairly useful shot to the head of the Convient gun jam/misfire trope

Don't worry, I won't kill you with that. If it happens (unlikely), you have a chance to get out of it.

I'll need to wait for a tiebreaker vote before I continue, but whatever you pick you'll have a reasonable chance of escaping alive unless you do something stupid.

Eh, for the sake of continuing, I'll change to "get the hell out of Dodge."

Ninjat_126:

Bohemian Waltz:
I'm inclined to vote B, but the GM is obviously railroading/guiding so I'll go along with it and vote "A". (the hints about the suburbs being filled with zombies and what not)

Railroading? Me? I'm hurt.

(Actually, I changed most of my story to suit the players' opinions and have tried to avoid railroading. But I'm not that experienced at GM/DMing, so I've probably failed on that count.)

What I really meant was that as a rule of thumb any real choices PCs make won't result in a significant reduction of danger. The game would be boring if the PCs win and we die peacefully in our sleep. Without danger to drive the game it becomes stale and lifeless; in short not a very good game.

It is therefor reasonable to assume that any and in fact all courses of action will result in a "throwing us out of the frying pan and into the fire" sort of situation to varying degrees, as it's a GM/DM's job to make the life of the PCs difficult by producing obstacles and danger to drive the game and keep it lively.

It's been established that the suburbs are filled with zombies and been implied that there's nothing of interesting in that direction (besides more zombies). The other choice seems to be a plot-hook of some kind otherwise we wouldn't have encountered the group and continued on our way into the suburbs; it looks like a juicy hook and as such I'll bite. It will likely lead to more characters to interact with and a more interesting harrowing adventures in this zombie survival game.

I'm basically not naive enough to think we can escape and obtain any measure of safety. So sticking with a group and following the hook you've placed at our feet seems to be the best choice. IMO.

Though, truthfully my choice involves heavy amounts of meta-gaming.

I've read the past 4 pages so I think I'll join in.

I vote to go to the hospital. We have an assault rifle and a whole load of cop backup so we're at a better time now to raid a new place than any other that we have been so far. We could get medical supplies, more food, masks and contamination suits to protect us and maybe even a survivor or two.

We should ask if they have any kind of transportation as well, or know where we can find any. we need an escape if the horde comes. Also ask about special zombies.

Jedoro changed his vote. The score is 3-2 in favor of leaving town.

Right. 3-2 it is in favour of GTFOing. Also, you're asking about the "special zombies" before you go.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

There was no way I was going to risk my life on a suicide mission like that. Jacob... disagreed. The police didn't seem very happy about it, but they weren't about to shoot me for anything. I stuck around for a while to have the resident gun expert show me how to clean and maintain my guns, and was even given a spare 9mm police handgun from one of the guys who didn't quite make it. I made a point of asking about the zombie types on my way out.

"So far, we've seen three kinds of zombies. There's the walking ones that crash tackle you and try and bite off your face. they don't kill you generally, and they only eat wounded and corpses from what we've seen.

Then there's the runners. They seem to make nests and just curl up in corners most of the time, but if you wake them up they run right at you. They're smart too- if you shoot down two running at you, the third'll try and dodge the bullets. They're not that fast fortunately, but it's not exactly a comforting sight to see a flesh eating cannibal that manages to remember what guns are.

The third ones are covered in all these bruises and swollen veins, and if you break their skin they bleed everywhere. Nobody's been unlucky enough to take a face full of the stuff yet, but I don't think it would be a good idea to try.

Anyone who's been bitten by one of these things just seems to go insane. They become irrational, they lash out at anyone nearby, their heart rate slows and after about twenty minutes they're almost indistinguishable from the rest of the shambling mobs out there. Except for some, who just go full-blown runner and start tearing faces off. Some of the regular shamblers do that as well- just hulk out and sprint at you. No clue why."

I left while everyone else was gearing up for the big rescue mission, heading in the opposite direction. I didn't come across much more than the occasional walking zombie and those went down easily to a crowbar hit to the face. It was only a few minutes later when I saw the crowds begin to thicken in the distance. A mass undead exodus, right down the main streets. Why was I even on a main street?

Choices:
a) Pull a Han Solo and return to the hospital.
b) Find a big 4X4 offroad vehicle and smash right through.
c) Get a motorbike and maneuver around the individual zombies.
d) Find a car, but take it around the side streets and avoid the higher concentrations of zombies.
e) Berserker mode, charge in and start breaking heads.
f) 1337 Sniper mode, use your gun to shoot them down from a reasonable distance.
g) Ninja your way down the side streets on foot.
h) Go out the way you came in- Grab a bike and find a less popular street.

Hints:
- Doesn't seem to be any runners in the crowd. At least, not any running runners.
- You've got a healthy amount of ammo for your AR, but it's not bottomless. Pistol ammunition is much more limited, about 45 rounds or so.
- No, this isn't a dead end, you can get past them. Without going back to the hospital.

i vote c) but only if we can find two of them, one for alex and one for jacob. also they both have to have a full tank of petrol (gas) because we dont want to break down in the middle of nowhere. if neither of these then just go h instead.

I'd say H). Go around the horde, try not to attract attention. Motorized stuff is unreliable.

Also, is Jacob still with us or not? I value his companionship above all else.

Ninjat_126:
a) Pull a Han Solo and return to the hospital.

Must... resist... awesomness...

h) Grab a bike and find a less popular street.

Benndak:
Also, is Jacob still with us or not? I value his companionship above all else.

Derek_the_Dodo:
i vote c) but only if we can find two of them, one for alex and one for jacob.

I'm pretty sure Jacob stuck with the group of anywhere between 4-20 heavily armed trained police officers we abandoned to strike out on our own towards zombie filled suburbs.

I'm voting A. For the power of friendship.

Waltz, on any other day you would have convinced me, but I can't take the shame of returning to the group of friends we so callously tossed aside because of my indecision.

I reread the last bit and Im changing to A) for the sake of having some companionship. i didnt notice that we'd lost jacob.

Benndak:
Waltz, on any other day you would have convinced me, but I can't take the shame of returning to the group of friends we so callously tossed aside because of my indecision.

: | *scratches head*

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just clarifying; although the numbers of police were never given there where at least 4 guards + Jacob, hence the 4-20 something number.

I do think it would be cool to ride in at the most convenient moment and become a big damn hero, though.

Derek changed his vote so it's 2 for a and 2 for h. We're tied.

RaNDM G:
We're tied. *(again)*

Son of a testicle gobbling scum gargling sea hag!

Sorry. I don't speak whatever the heck that language was.

I can either go the way of the dapper, silver-tongued lone wolf or the hard-boiled cigarette-smoking party leader. I have never felt this much responsibility. In my dreams, I am the tie-breaker.

its me

Benndak:
I can either go the way of the dapper, silver-tongued lone wolf or the hard-boiled cigarette-smoking party leader. I have never felt this much responsibility. In my dreams, I am the tie-breaker.

its me

My thoughts when:

However this turns out, it would be criminal not to name the bicycle we're acquiring the Millennium Falcon.

Since I've read this entire post and have grown to love Jacob, I will choose A (also Han Solo is freaking awesome).

So, it's 3-2 in favor of heading back to the hospital. Sorry Benndak. You won't get your chance this time.

*cue suspense*

A it is! Time to go save the day like a stone cold badass who just had a change of heart.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Perhaps leaving on my own was a mistake. Sure, the hospital was a suicide mission, but facing a crowd that size wouldn't even be worthy of the "mission" tag. In a poetic mood, I dubbed my 9mm Chewbacca, "acquired" a bike (which I christened the Millenium Falcon) and headed back for the hospital as fast as I safely could.

Moving at the speed I was, I intercepted the group before they got too close to the hospital, and they seemed happy to have me back, although they didn't seem as pleased as when Jacob and I had first shown up. Which was understandable, I suppose.

Seeing the group of uniformed officers in action for the first time, they seemed remarkably coordinated, using riot shields and batons to knock down and finish off the wandering packs of zombies, and working in pairs for safety. However, their batons were surprisingly inefficient at putting the zombies down for good, and their riot armour would probably be useless against zombies who seemed to consistently aim for the face.

As we approached the hospital, we discussed their plan. The police were going to form a loose perimeter around the front entrance to the hospital, before using gunfire to draw out any zombies and runners from inside. Wandering packs would be killed in hand-to-hand fighting to avoid attracting attention, and any mobs around the hospital would be brought down with coordinated gunfire from the more skilled marksmen of the group. Overall, it seemed fairly flimsy and it was quite possible that the 30 or so officers they had wouldn't be able to pull it off. I probably wasn't going to be able to quite turn the tide by myself of course, but every single survivor counted in an assault like this.

Choices: Choose one from each group

a) Use your crowbar to best effect in the front lines.
b) Stay on the perimeter and use Tyler as much as possible.
c) A middle ground approach- fill gaps where necessary.

1. Join the team going inside the hospital to rescue any survivors.
2. Hang back outside and keep watch, and keep zombies of the indoor team's backs.

i- Dump your pack somewhere for added mobility.
ii- Keep your pack on you, you never know when you might need it.

Hint: Your pack is fairly heavy and bulky, but that's because it contains your food, ropes, medical supplies and a few spare mags for Tyler, among other things. Don't worry, if you drop it I won't pull a "it got stolen" out of my ass to make things harder.

Here's a thought, why not create a huge distraction a block or two away so all outside zombies head for that as opposed to the hospital? Then we'll have more men available to go inside. barricade self on a roof so you don't get swarmed and jobs a good un.

Failing that b),2,i but make sure you have a fortified position, say on the roof of a nearby building and leave your bag at your feet so you can easily grab more ammo. We all know the campers with the long range weapons do best in FPS games.

Derek_the_Dodo:
Here's a thought, why not create a huge distraction a block or two away so all outside zombies head for that as opposed to the hospital? Then we'll have more men available to go inside. barricade self on a roof so you don't get swarmed and jobs a good un.

That would pull the zombies out of the hospital and surrounds, but the unlucky volunteers would go down hard. If they barricaded themselves on a roof or something, then that would just be another group that would need to be rescued later.

C, 2, I. Also, take this time to profusely apologize for all the feelings we hurt, and begin a romantic relationship with the nearest fellow named Richards. We won't even have to go into the hospital with them - we're the Chief Friendship Advisor around here.

I just read the pages this morning and would mostly agree with Derek except for when it comes to the matter of the backpack, keep it, you never want to leave something like that laying around. I might not get stolen but you'll need it all the same and you don't want to get trapped on the roof with the other survivors if the cops downstairs can't hold their ground and flee.

Final verdict: B,2,2

I only say about barricading self on roof because at this point we have guns and ammo as well as a small personal army. And if we managed to escape from the mall roof just fine with only two people and a couple of ropes then why cant we escape from a different roof just as easy?

Unless of course there's a shit load more zombies in the hospital than the cops can handle and they all die. But so would we if we went in there.

Besides, if we go with the distraction idea what's to stop us from creating another distraction another couple of blocks away after we're done in the hospital so the first distraction team (could even just be 1 person screaming loudly or setting car alarms off or fire to things) can gtfo when the zombies head off and the second team can run like fuck before the zombies even get to the second distraction.

It's like herding sheep.

 Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked