Just Another Day: A Zombie Survival Choose Your Own Adventure

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

The thing about herding sheep is that they're usually dancing down to the last man.

Chew that over in your head for a while. I'm a brilliant man.

B, 2, ii

Would it be possible to find a car with an alarm, set if off, and run away from it? Hopefully it'd draw the zombies to the car and away from anyone.

Eh? C,2,i.

Our daring return was far less heroic than I'd hoped.

b, 2, i) We don't have any experience in search and rescue and we don't know the layout of the hospital. We can be much more effective staying outside and holding off the infected. We don't have any sort of armor or protection, so it would be best to stay back and take potshots while the officers take the brunt of the horde.

Carrying all that weight is going to hinder our movement, but we can set the backpack down on a flat surface and use it as a kind of bench rest. That should help steady our aim, and we can keep track of our gear to make sure it doesn't get lost or stolen.

Benndak:
The thing about herding sheep is that they're usually dancing down to the last man.

Chew that over in your head for a while. I'm a brilliant man.

Are you sure that's the right expression?

Counting all the votes, the current score is:

a - 0
b - 4
c - 2

1 - 0
2 - 6

i - 4
ii - 2

So the leading votes are b, 2, i.

So we're dropping our bags in a corner, grabbing Tyler and staying outside to hold them off from a distance.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first really big packs appeared about a block away from the hospital. Jacob suggested a distraction: setting off some car alarms in another part of the city. They'd wake up the runners, but the rest of use would have a bigger chance. A couple of police officers volunteered, and a few minutes after they left we heard a car alarm sound from a few streets away. We just had to hope they'd make it back.

The first runners emerged from their holes, moving at top speeds towards the alarm sounds. We took them down before they had reacted to us. A few of the seemingly passive walking zombies also sprinted towards the alarm, and one of those brought down an officer with a lightning-fast lunge. I was glad that I wasn't going to be in the frontlines.

The hospital was still crawling with the things, who'd barely even begun to shift when we arrived. Some of the zombies outside the building were beginning to move away and even come towards us, but in the windows we could see plenty more slowly climbing the stairs or just standing around in the hallways. Most obviously, there was a huge white sheet hanging over the side of the roof, with the letters "SOS" on it. There were other survivors still trapped on the hospital roof.

Since most of the zombies seemed to have no inclination of moving and the rest were coming right at us, we broke into our two separate groups of ranged and hand-to-hand fighters, dropped any encumbering gear and started hitting any target within range. The marksmen/women would fire first, and the rest would mop up the rest when they got dangerously close to our lines. We made sure a few people were looking behind us at all times, ready to bring down any recently disturbed runners.

This was the first time I'd fired Tyler, and I immediately noticed the surprising recoil and the accuracy problems. Most of my shots were hitting shoulders, arms or torsos and doing nothing to bring down the zombies, who (being zombies) didn't even seem to notice the missed shots. When I was able to line up an accurate headshot, it took so long that often someone else would take the bastard down before I could fire. The officers around me were having little more luck, but many of them had shotguns that had enough force to knock a zombie down even with a chest shot. I tried using my handgun instead, only to see that my hands were shaking so much that I couldn't line a shot up at all. Jacob seemed to be doing the best out of us all- even with the telescopic sight on his rifle being useless at this range he still was pumping out headshot after headshot, slowed down only by the nature of his rifle.

With our ranged approach being only somewhat successful, the CQC team moved in to cover the gaps. Despite their efficient teamwork and armour, we lost far too many. The rest of us couldn't even shoot, it was as likely we'd hit our friends as it was we'd kill any zombies.

After the deaths of about 5 of our dwindling party, we had temporarily cleared the entrance and the remnants of the team went in, leaving roughly ten or so of us back outside guarding the perimeter, including Jacob and I. That was when the first runners started to arrive, distracted from the enticing car alarms by the even more enticing sounds of gunfire and people having their faces bitten off. By this time, I'd switched weapons back to my crowbar and the rest of the group were taking care of the runners from range. The sounds of gunfire rang out from inside the hospital, mixed with a few screams of the human and runner variety.

The rest of the rather large zombie horde had almost reached us by this point, and for the first time we saw a few of the bleeding ones mixed in with the normal crowds. The bruises and swollen veins didn't stand out as much as we'd hoped, and with ten or so meters to go one of the bleeding ones did its best Usain Bolt impersonation and crashtacked Jacob to the ground. By the time we'd shot it dead, it had already sunk its teeth into his neck, before we all got a face-full of zombie blood for our efforts.

Even with goggles and riot masks on, a few seconds with obscured vision is pretty much a death sentence when there's hundreds of zombies a few meters away.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

YOU HAVE DIED.

Restarting from previous choice:

Choices:
Choices: Choose one from each group

a) Use your crowbar to best effect in the front lines.
b) Stay on the perimeter and use Tyler as much as possible.
c) A middle ground approach- fill gaps where necessary.

1. Join the team going inside the hospital to rescue any survivors.
2. Hang back outside and keep watch, and keep zombies of the indoor team's backs.

i- Dump your pack somewhere for added mobility.
ii- Keep your pack on you, you never know when you might need it.

Hints:
-Your pack is fairly heavy and bulky, but that's because it contains your food, ropes, medical supplies and a few spare mags for Tyler, among other things. Don't worry, if you drop it I won't pull a "it got stolen" out of my ass to make things harder.
- Perhaps making an untrained journalist one of your dedicated marksmen is a mistake.
- To counterbalance the previous statement, running in blindly swinging a crowbar probably isn't that smart either.
- And the middle ground is fairly risky too, you've got a higher chance of getting in the way when you swap between Tyler for range and Oliver for hand-to-hand.

So... b,1,i? I imagine shooting a melon-size target is easier indoors due to the shorter range, especially if there aren't any runners inside.

Jedoro:
...especially if there aren't any runners inside.

Why wouldn't there be any runners inside? If anything, they've got more places to hide.

Ninjat_126:
- Perhaps making an untrained journalist one of your dedicated marksmen is a mistake.

I was kind of hoping we could pull a Frank West here, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I still think we should have left town when we had the chance, but too many people around here still value friendship. Hospitals are always death traps. At least we now know our girl can't use a gun under stress.

Let's rethink the situation: We're playing an investigative journalist with minimal combat training. We're likely to have skills like lock-picking or computer hacking. That can help us through locked doors, so we would be better off joining the search-and-rescue team.

If we go inside the hospital, we don't want to get separated from the group. We should take the middle ground. That should make it harder for us to get picked off by stragglers.

c, 1, i.

Jacob sounds like Boone from New Vegas but without the dead gaze of a man with no hope...

Anywho, I think although she may not be a great marksman at long range, keeping her back but in the middle is most likely the best option, as running in with a crowbar is for the lovable but squishy NPCs to do, and plus they have training and riot shields. And, in the middle distance random fire hopefully in the right direction could be more effective.

Plus we know the insta-death is that one, and the GM wouldn't be that mean, would he?

So, C/2/i.

i vote C/1/i

Frankly, RaNDM, if fewer people valued friendship around here, we would have died a long time ago. The only thing keeping us alive in the mall was the power of friendship.

But you're also right, so c, 1, i.

Benndak:
The only thing keeping us alive in the mall was the power of friendship.

Please explain this to me. I was under the impression Jacob merely tolerated Alex. I didn't see any kind of bond between the two.

Apparently, RaNDM G-land does not recognize the international universal unilateral power of friendship. First off, Jacob and Alex were clearly best friends, but that's not what I meant. I mean the spirit of friendship very literally guided Alex through the mall.

You mean that friendship is...

A GHOST?!

I don't see how that has ever been up for discussion. Friendship is obviously a ghost.

I guess that makes sense considering the zombie apocalypse and all. I suppose that means vampires and werewolves exist too.

Nope, those are still fake.

I disagree with the premise that a hospital is an undesirable location during a zombie Apocalypse. It's not the best place to go immediately at the outbreak or by yourself. But with large numbers it's built in a manner similar to a mall, but with easily sectioned off wards and more narrow hallways which is an advantage to a large group fighting primarily melee in phalanx style formation. A hospital also has certain luxuries a very large supply of gasoline and a back-up generator in case of emergencies, an emergency water supply, an industrial kitchen used to feed hundreds/thousands daily with tons of non-perishable food, a security system, increased likelihood of green energy sources being a government building, and a large amount of un-reproducible medical supplies that become crazy valuable in post-apocalyptic bartering.

If you can lock down the entrances which seems feasible it's probably one of the best locations outside a prison to clear out and hold as a base of operations.

In any case:

a,1,i;

Except duel wield your crowbar and 9mm. At close range (2-12ft) the minimal recoil and extremely close range should up your ability to hit your targets. Only use you're 9mm as a supplemental weapon using it to pop off head-shot on groups of zombies you wouldn't be comfortable engaging in melee safely. I imagine it's a 20 or 32 clip magazine since it's police issue so try not to use more than half of that. A crowbar is light enough to wield in 1 hand without it causing you too much trouble.

If a zombie grapples you and destroying him with the power of friendship doesn't work, just pop a round off at point blank.

Benndak:
Nope, those are still fake.

Aw man. I was looking forward to shooting vampires in the face.

Bohemian Waltz:

Except duel wield your crowbar and 9mm. At close range (2-12ft) the minimal recoil and extremely close range should up your ability to hit your targets. Only use you're 9mm as a supplemental weapon using it to pop off head-shot on groups of zombies you wouldn't be comfortable engaging in melee safely. I imagine it's a 20 or 32 clip magazine since it's police issue so try not to use more than half of that. A crowbar is light enough to wield in 1 hand without it causing you too much trouble.

If a zombie grapples you and destroying him with the power of friendship doesn't work, just pop a round off at point blank.

Bohemian Waltz:

Bohemian Waltz:

the power of friendship doesn't work

I don't understand this statement. I don't understand you.

I was about to say the very same thing, Benndak.

C 1 i
Sorry if its to late for me to join. I love choose your own adventures.

So, I'm seeing a lot of c, 1, i going on.

On the subject of Jacob, I pictured him as being a few years older than Alex, however old Alex is. Since I'm only a student at the moment, she's unlikely to be older than about 25 since I'm not a particularly good writer and haven't developed her character enough that she can write for me. Still, I like the idea of her being about 40 or 50.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first really big packs appeared about a block away from the hospital. Jacob suggested a distraction: setting off some car alarms in another part of the city. They'd wake up the runners, but the rest of use would have a bigger chance. A couple of police officers volunteered, and a few minutes after they left we heard a car alarm sound from a few streets away. We just had to hope they'd make it back.

The first runners emerged from their holes, moving at top speeds towards the alarm sounds. We took them down before they had reacted to us. A few of the seemingly passive walking zombies also sprinted towards the alarm, and one of those brought down an officer with a lightning-fast lunge. I was glad that I wasn't going to be in the frontlines.

The hospital was still crawling with the things, who'd barely even begun to shift when we arrived. Some of the zombies outside the building were beginning to move away and even come towards us, but in the windows we could see plenty more slowly climbing the stairs or just standing around in the hallways. Most obviously, there was a huge white sheet hanging over the side of the roof, with the letters "SOS" on it. There were other survivors still trapped on the hospital roof.

Since most of the zombies seemed to have no inclination of moving and the rest were coming right at us, we broke into our two separate groups of ranged and hand-to-hand fighters, dropped any encumbering gear and started hitting any target within range. The marksmen/women would fire first, and the rest would mop up the rest when they got dangerously close to our lines. We made sure a few people were looking behind us at all times, ready to bring down any recently disturbed runners.

I drew Chewbacca and split off from the main group to watch the alleyways behind us for any movement. After the first volley of shots landed, a few curious and mostly oblivious zombies poked their heads out and came at us. Since I'd never even fired a gun before, my accuracy was pathetic and I didn't manage to hit anything with my first few shots. Alerting the other two cops on lookout with me, I grabbed Oliver and started breaking heads in close range in front of me while they kept watch on their sections of the perimeter.

Looking behind me briefly, I saw the close-quarters team and their riot shields and batons moving in to intercept the zombie hordes before they reached the shooters. They were fairly practiced and worked as a team, just as they had on the way to the hospital. The shooters had done a good job of thinning out the crowds, and the close-quarters team managed to take out every single one, losing only a couple of batons and for one unfortunate officer, an eye. There were still heaps of zombies inside the hospital, but we had clear ground in front of us, and took advantage of that.

The group split into the two teams, leaving roughly fifteen outside the building to keep the hordes back, including Jacob. I went inside with the majority of the close-quarters team. Due to my conspicuous lack of full riot gear, I was tasked with blocking up doorways and dealing with any zombies that decided to come through them. All I could really do was push tables in front of them, and even then there weren't many tables around. Chewbacca saved my life more than once- accuracy doesn't matter when the gun's against their head.

We climbed the stairs quickly, leaving a trail of slow zombies behind us. Soon we were at the door to the roof collecting the survivors and preparing for the push back out. From the roof, we saw that some of the shooters on the ground were already dead or bleeding from the face, and everyone was covered in blood. A couple of the officers with guns took random shots down at the zombies, but none seemed to do much. I'm pretty sure I saw one of the police officers below take a pistol round, but his armour seemed to prevent him from injury.

All the gunfire had woken up the hospital's runner population, and as we were descending the stairs a couple darted out from the balconies and hit the armoured phalanx of our front lines right in the back. The resulting domino effect knocked them all down a flight of stairs, which broke one officer's arm and another's neck.

We reached the ground floor minus two dedicated officers but plus eight survivors, which would have sounded a lot better if we hadn't lost five on the ground holding back the hordes and possibly the two who'd set the car alarms off. What's more, a few survivors seemed to have some suspicious hastily bandaged injuries.

Choices:
a) Go with the group straight out of town.
b) Split from the group (Jacob can come with you).
c) Kill zombies, make a distraction. Make sure the others get out alright.
d) Go try and find the two volunteers (with Jacob).

______________________________________________________________________________________________

So yeah, multiple endings time! You've got 4 different branches here that will determine what happens to you in the end.

And just for the hell of it, I'm not going to respawn you again. If you die, you're going to be dead and stay dead. But every choice here comes with a chance of making it out alive.

If jacobs willing to go with you then pick a) if not then we may as well play the hero and pick d)

Yeah A.

We're almost at the end already? Damn, seems like we just started.

I'll go with b. We did our job, now let's get out before we get swarmed.

Choice A seems to lead to death: "What's more, a few survivors seemed to have some suspicious hastily bandaged injuries." sound a lot like code for if you hang out with the survivors one will turn zombie and bite you in the neck. It also seems like the most secure option which makes me very suspicious of it.

Choice C seems like a blatant suicide mission.

That leaves me with B & D....

I'll go "D". Daring heroics are always fun, probably warn whoever seems in charge of the group that a few survivors look like they might be infected.

Friendship is thicker than blood, gentlemen. B.

D

We've already charged back into the fray for some thrilling heroics and survived (after a bit of time travel) so why not keep the hero momentum going? Okay, there's probably some good reasons why not to, but I still vote D.

So two for a, two for b, and two for d.

Tied again.

ummmm i'll do what they tell us to do in school CHOOSE C!!! I know i've already voted disregard.

Isn't it now 1 for a) 2 for b) 1 for c) and 2 for d)? still a bloody tie. I'll change my vote from a) to d) then for the sake of continuing. suicide missions are fun anyway I'd much rather alex go out with a bang than just start a new life in the cotswolds with jacob as a dinner lady.

definitely d)

Also i agree with bohemian waltz, we definitely have to treat the survivors for their injuries and identify if any are going to zombify. Were there any doctors amongst the survivors? and did any of us think to swipe some medical supplies?

I change my vote to triple-B.

lionday:
ummmm i'll do what they tell us to do in school CHOOSE C!!!

Derek_the_Dodo:
Isn't it now 1 for a) 2 for b) 1 for c) and 2 for d)?

You didn't get the joke?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked