Life in the 53rd Century New Sci-Fi universe 2 (Always looking for contributors and Artists)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Still working on it. I'm coming up with a concept drawing for what an Astrid should look like.

Okay, not the Astrid Drawing, but rather naval combat. First up, Fleet Composition

Soviet Heavy:
Okay, not the Astrid Drawing, but rather naval combat. First up, Fleet Composition

All looks good but unfortunatly I've lost the drone fleet info. Any chance you could reproduce the information?

avouleance2nd:

Soviet Heavy:

All looks good but unfortunatly I've lost the drone fleet info. Any chance you could reproduce the information?

Check the old page. I think it was there.

Soviet Heavy:

avouleance2nd:

Soviet Heavy:

Ok I'll look when I'm less bussy.

avouleance2nd:

Soviet Heavy:

avouleance2nd:

Ok I'll look when I'm less bussy.

Another thing. I know that the DropBox is better for storing the information than the previous thread, but it also makes it difficult to access on quick notice. Is there a storage method that we could use that allows us to access the information quickly without needing to download it?

Has anyone considered making a Wiki Page?

Another question: Are the Norg Bipedal or Quadrupedal? I'm running up some concept sketches and I'm trying to make them as close to your descriptions as possible.

Also, I have an event that will shape the face of the galaxy for a number of years. The first Frel in space.

Following a string of kidnappings, dealings, and business contracts, the Frel known as Lansik has broken off from Nelis Prime, and has left the planetary system via an equipped Faster than light Drive shaft.
Because of the tense relationship between the Norg and the Astrid regarding the concept of terminals, Lansik turned to crime syndicates and mercenary groups to hunt down and capture high ranking astrid technicians and engineers. Using business fronts and communications terminal victims to cover its tracks, Lansik was able to collect the required data to develop a Frel sized FTL drive and spacefaring technology for interstellar travel.

A Frontier Ranger, hired by the Astrid Hegemony, was able to track down one such mercenary group hired to perform the kidnappings. Following up on these leads, the Ranger discovered the illegal actions that Lansik had taken in order to achieve its goals. The Solanic Union, worried that the presence of Frel on other worlds might antagonize both the Durras and the Astrid, sent diplomatic envoys to Lansik to suggest safe worlds to inhabit.

Lansik is currently grounded on a yet unnamed planet deemed suitable for Norg colonization, and a Solanic Naval Forces Sector Fleet has been placed around the system to discourage any aggressive retaliation against the Norg that might cause war. Reports from Nelis Prime/Minor suggest that Lansik may have sold its FTL designs to other Frel. A massive surge in ground activity across multiple Frel indicates that the Flet are constructing massive structures across the surface of their masters.

Soviet Heavy:

Wiki Page?

Considered it yes but I'm not so sure how.
If you'd like to set one up or show me how I'd be happy to see? However I don't plan on spending any money so It'll need to be free.

Also I like the Frel in space thing but it's at least 100 years ahead of the main story.

avouleance2nd:

Soviet Heavy:

Wiki Page?

Considered it yes but I'm not so sure how.
If you'd like to set one up or show me how I'd be happy to see? However I don't plan on spending any money so It'll need to be free.

Also I like the Frel in space thing but it's at least 100 years ahead of the main story.

Well, this could be before widespread expansion of the Frel. A one off anomaly due to Lansik's particularly clever maneuvering to get what it wants. Perhaps the fact that it gained its tech illegally forces the Solanic Union to place sanctions on the other Frel from using the technology. Lansik is under protection from retaliation by the Astrid and Durras, but the S.U definitely does not want widespread expansion of the Norg without proper planning.

Soviet Heavy:

Snip

To be honest I just don't think sanctions on the Frel are really practical. The only thing we have they want are terminals and they only thing stopping them from taking it was the fact they rely on us for inter stellar travel.

avouleance2nd:

Soviet Heavy:

Snip

To be honest I just don't think sanctions on the Frel are really practical. The only thing we have they want are terminals and they only thing stopping them from taking it was the fact they rely on us for inter stellar travel.

So put a blockade around Nelis. Any Frel seen using Lansik's illegally acquired FTL technology will be engaged in combat. If they refuse to dismantle the engine fixtures, then the Solanic Union blocks off Terminal sales.

The only reason they'd be nice to Lansik is to make sure that the Astrid or Durras don't escalate the tensions between their species. The S.U still doesn't want the Frel moving very far. The Frel might not react fearfully to a blockade, but they will be affected if said blockade prevents them from receiving terminals.

Soviet Heavy:

Snip

In all honest I'm not really a fan of the idea.
And you can't really "engage in combat" something the size of a continent. The frel can shrug off meteorites so if it came to it, they might just use splashing to deal with any blockade.

avouleance2nd:

Soviet Heavy:

Snip

In all honest I'm not really a fan of the idea.
And you can't really "engage in combat" something the size of a continent. The frel can shrug off meteorites so if it came to it, they might just use splashing to deal with any blockade.

Well then what can you do? If one Frel manages to get into space then its the end of the fucking universe. Anywhere a Gyrale is spotted, one Frel touches down and then the entire ecosystem is shot to hell. Durras and Astrid get pissed off, and everything goes to hell.

And if is possible to hit something the size of a continent. If Kinetic weapons keep advancing at the rate they are, the impact can be enough to shatter things to hell. I don't care how strong you say the Frel are, if someone manages to get a projectile moving fast enough, it WILL explode on impact. Earth can shrug off meteorites too, but big ones are strong enough to leave a dent in the planet.

Just grab twenty mass driver cannons, set the velocity beyond the speed of light, and watch a rail gun disintegrate a planet in one shot. You can't just have the Norg be an all powerful alien species. They need to have weaknesses.

I agree we can't have them being two powerful. Maybe it was a mistake to get them into space to lightly. I mean their main weakness has always been a lack of mobility and we probably should have thought more about doing it.

avouleance2nd:
I agree we can't have them being two powerful. Maybe it was a mistake to get them into space to lightly. I mean their main weakness has always been a lack of mobility and we probably should have thought more about doing it.

That raises other problems though. If the Norg are limited to a single planet without means of leaving, then the Frel become almost irrelevant. The only mentions they'd get would be from the Flet they send out to other species as workers in exchange for Terminals.

Well that's the thing. We kind of need them. They are pretty much the default workforce, they helped build and maintain most of our fleet. The Flet have been spread pretty far around because we need them to be around. Some of the frel are investing in fleets but no way near enough to mobilise themselves.
The main problem is that they are so durable, even a small force could eventually be very destructive.
It's a complex situation. We aren't sure how far their willing to go. But we know if things escalate they can outlast us. A lot of people don't realise how hard it is for us to sustain both our military and colonise. Hypothetically one frel is manageable but the blast radius resulting from such force would take out any ships attacking them the ships are too valuable.

avouleance2nd:
Well that's the thing. We kind of need them. They are pretty much the default workforce, they helped build and maintain most of our fleet. The Flet have been spread pretty far around because we need them to be around. Some of the frel are investing in fleets but no way near enough to mobilise themselves.
The main problem is that they are so durable, even a small force could eventually be very destructive.
It's a complex situation. We aren't sure how far their willing to go. But we know if things escalate they can outlast us. A lot of people don't realise how hard it is for us to sustain both our military and colonise. Hypothetically one frel is manageable but the blast radius resulting from such force would take out any ships attacking them the ships are too valuable.

The Blast Radius problem can be solved by applying clever ship usage. Soften up the Frel with close range bombardment, and then pull back a few hundred thousand miles and fire the nukes.

It would be interesting to see the Frel try blackmail. "You try to blow us up, and those fifty thousand Flet I sold to you start to deconstruct your ship."

Well providing they had a terminal explain black mail to them then yes.

Solanic Naval Forces Combat Doctrine: Long Range Support

Soviet Heavy:
Solanic Naval Forces Combat Doctrine: Long Range Support

Sorry But I really want to cut back on SU military power, it might not be the most balanced but part of feel I wanted for the universe is one of desperation and I think giving us the military power required to have an entire army is just too much.
I know it isn't the most balanced but if we had the power to just do what we wanted it wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Or if we were that powerful we'd stop being as interesting or easy to empathise with. The Norg's extreme resistance makes them even less human which makes sense because they aren't. With us it just wouldn't feel right.
Plus the Norg are simple enough mentally to have the excuse of acting on instinct if we had that power we'd come off as jerks.

Fuck it. Have it your way with your super powered cockroaches.

Soviet Heavy:

Sorry it just fits more with the feel I intended and the idea behind the RP.

avouleance2nd:

Soviet Heavy:

Then why don't you change your fucking title so that it's perfectly clear that this world isn't "something you can be a part of" and is instead "something that you can contribute to if I say so."

I'm out.

Soviet Heavy:

snip

avouleance2nd:
snip

Guys please, lets all calm down for a moment. After we've worked long and hard on something like this it would be a terrible waste to split up now over a silly disagreement, I'm sure there has to be a solution we can all agree on. I don't really want to get bogged down in any details now but Soviet, you do make a reasonable point that perhaps we need a new more equal system of accepting or deciding whether something can be canon or not.

Soviet Heavy:

avouleance2nd:

Soviet Heavy:

Then why don't you change your fucking title so that it's perfectly clear that this world isn't "something you can be a part of" and is instead "something that you can contribute to if I say so."

I'm out.

Shame it had to end this way. But thanks for your other contributions regardless.

JoJoDeathunter:

Soviet Heavy:

snip

avouleance2nd:
snip

Guys please, lets all calm down for a moment. After we've worked long and hard on something like this it would be a terrible waste to split up now over a silly disagreement, I'm sure there has to be a solution we can all agree on. I don't really want to get bogged down in any details now but Soviet, you do make a reasonable point that perhaps we need a new more equal system of accepting or deciding whether something can be canon or not.

I can see your point a more equal system would be fairer and I'd be behind measures to create one. It's just this particular issue is one I feel strongly about.
I don't feel that the SU having much of an army fits with the universe. I've always seen this universe as one where we don't really have much breathing room. We can't really build military power because we need the resources for colonies; we have a booming population and no way near enough space to house them. We are still the most mobile and technologically advanced of the species (after all the only species we didn't help into space was us). But I think a world where we need to be more cautious and can't just build unlimited ships with weapons that are so powerful is a more interesting world.
Of course I don't want any other species to become over powered and I've put a lot of thought into balance but just as much as a world where one side could dominate would be dull so would one where everyone is exactly equal or could stand on their own.

Anyway that's not the real issue I can see that a more fair system would make sense and I'd be willing to hear any proposals you have.

And don't worry I'm not mad at all.

sigh, look. I've done collaborative works before, and communication is always the number one issue when discussing ideas.

I admit I overreacted, and I'm sorry. I think I made it clear that I don't like when something I've put a lot of effort into is considered unworkable into the story. In this thread, I've always tried to make the other contributors works mesh. I saw this as a universe that someone could be part of. If that is the case, then the setting has to allow for any person to tell the story they want, within the boundaries of the context.

If this is to be truly open to other people, there needs to be a way to allow them to voice their ideas without the risk of being shot down. Instead of saying "no, that doesn't fit", the response should be "it's a bit contradictory, but let's see if we can make it work."

I'll continue to post ideas, but I don't think I want to be as involved as I was earlier.

Soviet Heavy:
sigh, look. I've done collaborative works before, and communication is always the number one issue when discussing ideas.

I admit I overreacted, and I'm sorry. I think I made it clear that I don't like when something I've put a lot of effort into is considered unworkable into the story. In this thread, I've always tried to make the other contributors works mesh. I saw this as a universe that someone could be part of. If that is the case, then the setting has to allow for any person to tell the story they want, within the boundaries of the context.

If this is to be truly open to other people, there needs to be a way to allow them to voice their ideas without the risk of being shot down. Instead of saying "no, that doesn't fit", the response should be "it's a bit contradictory, but let's see if we can make it work."

I'll continue to post ideas, but I don't think I want to be as involved as I was earlier.

Thanks for the apology. But I should point we'd set up another thread just for race submissions. I think for the most part everything that will be in the rp is set down but of course if you want to be part of it then it your welcome to be.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.328762-Sci-Fi-Race-making-contest-now-with-template?page=1

Soviet Heavy:
snip

I have one request if you don't mind, if you want either of the races you made originally for this thread (Ferrax etc) to be playable races for the RP could you write a short one paragraph description to go in the OP?

JoJoDeathunter:

Soviet Heavy:
snip

I have one request if you don't mind, if you want either of the races you made originally for this thread (Ferrax etc) to be playable races for the RP could you write a short one paragraph description to go in the OP?

I don't see why not. I just need to dig up the information on the Ferrax.

Soviet Heavy:

JoJoDeathunter:

Soviet Heavy:
snip

I don't see why not. I just need to dig up the information on the Ferrax.

Cool, try to keep it between about 5 to 7 lines as I'm trying not to make the barrier to players new to the universe too high, if they want to actually play as the Ferrax or another alien race then they're required to read the whole sheet for whatever they are playing, this means that hopefully every player will have a rudimentary knowledge of each race.

Alright then.

Thanks, they may end up being edited a little by the time they end up being posted on the OP but that's pretty much what I need. Good luck in the contest!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked