The Ratings War VI: Aces High - Round 1 (Closed - Judging)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Khedive Rex:
I may throw my hand in. I don't have the best history with consistency but I've been in the mood to write.

Curse you for making me break my perfect post count number Rex, but if you're going to throw in your hat, I may just have to do the same. Details pending.

EDIT: Earlier I finished reading the final entries for the last Ratings War and was very impressed. Both finalists' posts were great. I'm surprised that Zombie_Fish won though...not because I didn't enjoy his entry - it was good - I just loved Armitage Shanks' style and overall theme more.

But the judging is all subjective and the entries were both pretty close in quality so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, still no sheet as of yet but hopefully I'll have something for y'all to read through tomorrow...

I'd like to resister interest, and bemoan lack of time. I shall return soon with a character...

I'm gonna submit a sheet.

reserve me a spot for later tonight please.

I will preemptively agree with everyone who reads this that this is an odd character and seemingly will be difficult to work with, but I have actually been working on the concept for a character like this for a month and besides, trying to work with it is half the fun.

sorry tomorrow night I'll have it all done.

Okay, so here's the cast thus far:

Judges

revolverwolf
sky14kemea
NeoAC

Contestants

staika - Spades
CounterAttack - Diamonds
Nukey - Pending (Sheet Done)
Segadroid - Clubs
Hafrael - Hearts
Viking Incognito - Diamonds (Hearts if necessary)
JoJoDeathunter - Pending
Lost In The Void - Pending
Fragrance of Mtn Dew - Pending
RBMidknight - Pending
Zombie_Fish - Pending
elementsoul - Pending
Sam G - Pending
Khedive Rex - Pending
Armitage Shanks - Pending
Tips_of_Fingers - Pending
ThreeWords - Pending
darthobri - Pending

So that's all 3 judges set up, along with 18 entrants thus far. It's looking to be a good one, keep those sheets coming!

Remember, if you have any questions just ask me here, via PM or on the group and I'll get back to you ASAP.

JoJoDeathunter:
Out of interest will there be a limit on the number of players who are eventually accepted?

There will be no limit. The easiest number for me to work with is 16 (as every time I halve the number it is divisible by 2). It's not impossible to do an odd number though - I did it last time in RW5 and it seems to have been a hit.

I don't think I'll take more than 32 though, because I intend for this one to consist of 5 rounds and 32 is perfect - and also because the judges will start forming suicide pacts. Not that we've ever had that many people in an RW before though.

@Sky/Revolver: So it's agreed then. Krunk brings in more than 32 people, it's death by chocolate.

32 players is a bit much, I think... we don't normally get more than 24 people in the average Serial Killer round, and I figure that requires much less participation than this does.

NeoAC:
@Sky/Revolver: So it's agreed then. Krunk brings in more than 32 people, it's death by chocolate.

Can... can I join?

CounterAttack:
32 players is a bit much, I think... we don't normally get more than 24 people in the average Serial Killer round, and I figure that requires much less participation than this does.

I'm not saying there will be 32 players; just that if I ever need a limit, that would be it.

It would certainly be fun for me to work with such diversity, but the judges? Not so much. I've divided the contestants into blocks of 3 or 4 matches that compete in succession and that worked last time.

@Neo: Agreed.

@Krunk: Of course you can join in! :D

Viking Incognito:
I will preemptively agree with everyone who reads this that this is an odd character and seemingly will be difficult to work with, but I have actually been working on the concept for a character like this for a month and besides, trying to work with it is half the fun.

The only way I can think of that working is through lots of passages written from the (altered) perspective of your opponents...interesting idea but good luck with that.

Not that mine is that much easier to work with.

I'll edit this post once I've got the ol' intro out of the way.

EDIT: Intro is done. I apologise for the length (kind of) but I hope it helps whoever I come up against...

A slightly rushed end to Part 3 but I was bordering on 7 pages so I really wanted to finish it. That's it then...hopefully it's an interesting read. Criticism is welcome and appreciated. I'll take the next few days before we begin to check through it and make any edits I see fit.

EDIT (again): Had to change the Suit section of the sheet because it still said 'Diamonds' even though I changed it to 'Spades' in his intro.

@Krunk: Of course! Suicide pacts don't discriminate!

Alright I think I'll join, these threads always looked crazy fun, I'll start trying to brainstorm an interesting contestant and I'll try to have a sheet by the end of this week.

I'd like to join. How much time do we have left to submit characters?

@Yorgmiester I believe the deadline is two weeks after the threat started. That would make it October 20th.

Yorgmiester:
I'd like to join. How much time do we have left to submit characters?

Until the 21st of October. So...a while yet.

...And here is my entry. I decided to put the bio with the introductive passage as I thought they went well together, note that the 1st person in the bio is a one-off to introduce the character.

If there's anything you need me to expand on, confirm or change, don't hesitate to say so. On a unrelated note it's great to see so many experienced RPers on this thread, this will be an interesting competition indeed.

I'm the only heart.

O.o

Gorram papers due all around the same time as interesting rp submissions due.

Looking forward to this. Let me know if you have any questions or if anything needs to be changed.

Fragrance of Mtn Dew:

Looking forward to this. Let me know if you have any questions or if anything needs to be changed.

As a fellow player, there's a couple of questions I have for you:

1) Given his name and the general theme in your sheet, I'm guessing your character is Japanese, despite the blue eyes, but a confirmation would be nice.

2) I suspect the "Frost Demon" is just a nickname but to check, he isn't actually a demon is he?

Also it's not a question but I'd recommend you join this group now as there's already been several pages of discussion on it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/members/The-Ratings-War

Wow, I just re-read the final 5 entries of RW V and...I was just as amazed as the first time I read them but I forgot how depressing they were. Either way, it will be really hard for future RWs to top that finally since it ended with literally the creation of the entire universe. I am so glad you two (Shanks and ZF)aren't fighting in this one because...damn.

Crap, seeing as some people put in introductions in their sheet I guess I have to do so too huh?

I'll come up with something later on...

Viking Incognito:
Wow, I just re-read the final 5 entries of RW V and...I was just as amazed as the first time I read them but I forgot how depressing they were. Either way, it will be really hard for future RWs to top that finally since it ended with literally the creation of the entire universe. I am so glad you two (Shanks and ZF)aren't fighting in this one because...damn.

But they are competing...It says they're sheets are pending. Scroll up and you'll find a list of contestants... Most are pending but until their names disappear form the list then we should assume they're competing.

Viking Incognito:

Who said we weren't?

I have a character idea sorted out now, I'm just looking for time to write him and my entry up over the last few days. I can't speak for Shanks but I can promise you that I'm doing my best to enter again.

Zombie_Fish:

Viking Incognito:

Who said we weren't?

I have a character idea sorted out now, I'm just looking for time to write him and my entry up over the last few days. I can't speak for Shanks but I can promise you that I'm doing my best to enter again.

*Twitch* Think...positive...think...positive...be...confident...

EDIT: Now that I read it, that seems less joking than it did when I was typing it out. I am actually excited at the idea that I might go up against you even though I will probably lose. If I can get at least one vote though, I'll know I'm improving.

JoJoDeathunter:

Fragrance of Mtn Dew:

As a fellow player, there's a couple of questions I have for you:

1) Given his name and the general theme in your sheet, I'm guessing your character is Japanese, despite the blue eyes, but a confirmation would be nice.

2) I suspect the "Frost Demon" is just a nickname but to check, he isn't actually a demon is he?

Also it's not a question but I'd recommend you join this group now as there's already been several pages of discussion on it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/members/The-Ratings-War

1) Yes and no. His world isn't specifically Japan, but it is based mostly on Sengoku era Japan.

2) Yes, that's just a nickname. He's a normal human in just about every way.

Fragrance of Mtn Dew:

1) Yes and no. His world isn't specifically Japan, but it is based mostly on Sengoku era Japan.

2) Yes, that's just a nickname. He's a normal human in just about every way.

Fair enough, thanks, that's mostly what I thought but I thought it best to check now in-case I end up opposing you later so I don't make silly mistakes ;-)

Zombie_Fish:

Viking Incognito:

Who said we weren't?

You better be in this round; I'm trying to convince Nuke to hop on in too.

EDIT: While I'm here I guess I can present my first draft.

Expect a few tweaks to it, as well as the introduction in the next couple days

Edit 2: Despite being unhappy with both the name and bio of my character, I'm leaving them as is, unless inspiration strikes tomorrow.

Lost In The Void:
snip

Ha, your character is almost the opposite of mine; the morally corrupt rich man and the good-natured street-urchin....

...Oh dear...stereotypes. = /

Nice sheet though. = ]

Viking Incognito:
*Twitch* Think...positive...think...positive...be...confident...

EDIT: Now that I read it, that seems less joking than it did when I was typing it out. I am actually excited at the idea that I might go up against you even though I will probably lose. If I can get at least one vote though, I'll know I'm improving.

If it makes you feel any better, I've gotten criticism for a few pieces thanks to Khedive Rex. So now I know what points of my writing to improve. (muahaha)

To be honest, it's great feeling like you're bound for failure. I felt exactly the same way when I went up against revolverwolf last time, but it made me try my best and to my surprise I actually won that battle. Just do your best and at worst you now have a better idea of what you're capable of.

Lost In The Void:
You better be in this round; I'm trying to convince Nuke to hop on in too.

As returning champion/ person who persuaded Krunk into putting this up I kind of feel obliged to get involved again. Not that I wouldn't try to anyway.

Lost In The Void:
snip

Firstly nice character, I like the detailed personality section especially. There's one query I have though which is the suit:

Suit: The suit of Diamonds selected Barry as one of its Champions, realizing the political and social nature of Barry's work. Whether or not it selected Barry for the outer nature he portrays, or the inner nature of Barry's corruption and lust for power remains unknown.

If we look back at the first page...

It seems that Hearts is a much better fit since your character is all about working amongst citizens and being influential, in-fact politician is even listed as a "Heart profession!" Of course, if you have a special reason for choosing Diamonds then I'd be interested to hear it.

JoJoDeathunter:

Lost In The Void:
snip

Firstly nice character, I like the detailed personality section especially. There's one query I have though which is the suit:

Suit: The suit of Diamonds selected Barry as one of its Champions, realizing the political and social nature of Barry's work. Whether or not it selected Barry for the outer nature he portrays, or the inner nature of Barry's corruption and lust for power remains unknown.

If we look back at the first page...

It seems that Hearts is a much better fit since your character is all about working amongst citizens and being influential, in-fact politician is even listed as a "Heart profession!" Of course, if you have a special reason for choosing Diamonds then I'd be interested to hear it.

Nah I'm just fucking stupid and got them mixed up

My horse in this particular tournament. Let me know if theres question I should answer or glaring flaws I should resolve. The intro will come shortly. In the mean time, what do you all think?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked