The Ratings War VI: Aces High - Round 1 (Closed - Judging)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Lord Krunk:

elementsoul:
snip

JoJoDeathunter:
snip

I've discussed it a bit further up at the Round 1 post above, but I will say that the reason it's taken a day longer than I had originally planned was because I have had no access to my computer until now. Sorry if it's caused any problems, but I really couldn't have got it in sooner.

I really do have to start meeting deadlines at some point - it makes me really hypocritical to expect you to meet them now.

So Jojo, that Co-GM is an idea that is a very tempting idea that might just work.

Round 1 has started, by the way, so check if you're in the current participating block. If not you'll be given your opponent and arena on Wednesday.

It's 3a.m. and I have work this morning, so I'm gonna hit the hay - I'll send the PMs tomorrow afternoon, just in case anyone's been out of the loop recently.

Could you post something in the RatingsWar chat when the Red block starts?

Lord Krunk:
Co-GM snip.

I'm fine with being a co-GM.

@ThreeWords: Best of luck! I may be a bit busy over the next few weeks thanks to coursework, but I'm definitely going to try and get something done. Already my mind is a raging torrent.

Lord Krunk:
Snip

I'll admit that having a Co-GM is a great idea if you're busy with other things alongside this, but I can't help but feel that passing the role onto Zombie_Fish gives him an advantage in the RP.

I'm sure being a veteran (and winner) of The Ratings War means he's a good writer and capable of sharing your load but would it not be better passing the duties onto someone not involved? Even one of the judges would surely be a better choice...

I just think that having access to plot points and arena information would allow Zombie_Fish to plan his entries accordingly, giving him an unfair (however slight) advantage. I would feel so much more comfortable if you gave the Co-GM duties onto someone who is not a contestant.

What does everybody else think about this?

I agree. A contestant being co-GM does give them a very slight advantage since they have greater knowledge of the universe than the other participants. A co-GM should be someone impartial... perhaps one of the judges?

Tips_of_Fingers:

What does everybody else think about this?

I agree there might be an issue, while I'm sure Zombie_Fish or another player wouldn't deliberately use a co-GM position to advantage themselves in the competition, there is the unfortunate problem of a co-GM contestant seeing the data before it is released or maybe even having to fill in some data themselves if Krunk became absent half-way through the writing process. I can see three possible solutions:

1) Give the role to a judge

2) Give the role to someone outside the RP

3) Give the role to one of the contestants who is knocked out after the first round

Either 1) or 3) are preferable in my opinion.

I don't think either of you are giving Zombie, Rex, or even Lord Krunk enough credit. Both Zombie and Rex are smart enough and mature enough to remain impartial (and not use the knowledge of their environment to their advantage) and Krunk is smart enough to know that.

Also, this round looks awesome! I'm especially interested in the aftermath of a few of them, the James vs. William Darkes one in particular.

000Ronald:
I don't think either of you are giving Zombie, Rex, or even Lord Krunk enough credit. Both Zombie and Rex are smart enough and mature enough to remain impartial (and not use the knowledge of their environment to their advantage) and Krunk is smart enough to know that.

Also, this round looks awesome! I'm especially interested in the aftermath of a few of them, the James vs. William Darkes one in particular.

Trust is a tenuous thing when expressed over the internet.

However, I would trust them to not give themselves an advantage but I don't think it's possible not to have an advantage if you know things in advance. Simply by knowing certain things before the other players is, in itself, an advantage. Even if they don't plan on using those...things.

Sadly, human nature doesn't always work like that. I'm not attacking Zombie_Fish's integrity or trustworthiness...If it was a close friend - or even ME - who was offered the role of Co-GM, I'd turn it down due to the very reasons I've stated.

At the end of the day, It's Krunk's choice. Maybe if he could explain the kinds of things that the Co-GM would be seeing/in control of, I'd feel a little more comfortable with the idea. I guess if Zombie_Fish never had any control (and never saw) any information regarding the rounds that he was involved in then it wouldn't matter too much.

As I said though, I'd prefer a little more information about the kinds of info he'd have access to before being happy about this.

Tips_of_Fingers:
Trust is a tenuous thing when expressed over the internet.

However, I would trust them to not give themselves an advantage but I don't think it's possible not to have an advantage if you know things in advance. Simply by knowing certain things before the other players is, in itself, an advantage. Even if they don't plan on using those...things.

Sadly, human nature doesn't always work like that. I'm not attacking Zombie_Fish's integrity or trustworthiness...If it was a close friend - or even ME - who was offered the role of Co-GM, I'd turn it down due to the very reasons I've stated.

At the end of the day, It's Krunk's choice. Maybe if he could explain the kinds of things that the Co-GM would be seeing/in control of, I'd feel a little more comfortable with the idea. I guess if Zombie_Fish never had any control (and never saw) any information regarding the rounds that he was involved in then it wouldn't matter too much.

As I said though, I'd prefer a little more information about the kinds of info he'd have access to before being happy about this.

That is entirely reasonable, and I understand completely.

Tips_of_Fingers:
Snip

I understand what you're talking about, and I know that I won't be able to convince you or anyone else that me, Khedive or some other contestant are trustworthy enough to not use the details we receive to our advantage.

If any of the judges/ some other non-contestant would be up for being a co-GM instead of me then I'm fine with that. It wouldn't even be the first time either that a judge has been co-GM, with Higurashi in RW4. Personally I'm fine with just feeling honoured that Krunk trusts me enough to think about letting me look after information like that. If he does finally decide on offering the role to me then I won't turn it down, but I do understand your concerns.

000Ronald:

It's a shame I can't read more pieces featuring William Darke before going into this battle. In particular I would've liked to know more about the Evening Star and how he/ it acts towards authority figures.

Zombie_Fish:
Snip

Just so you know, if Krunk does decide to give it to you then I won't harp on about my concerns or tarnish the RP by being a whiny dick. When all is said and done, the RP is primarily about having fun, reading some top-notch stories and helping to develop people's writing styles.

There'll be no grudges harboured by me... = ]

With regards to being a Co-GM, It's more about holding a second copy of supplement that they can simply copy/paste if I am not available. That way deadlines can be met regardless of whether I have access to a computer or not.

I haven't decided whether or not I will yet, but if I do I understand others' concern with having contestants read supplementary material and rounds ahead of schedule. I'll deliberate on this in the next couple of weeks.

Zombie_Fish:

Lord Krunk:
Co-GM snip.

I'm fine with being a co-GM.

@ThreeWords: Best of luck! I may be a bit busy over the next few weeks thanks to coursework, but I'm definitely going to try and get something done. Already my mind is a raging torrent.

I'm all in favor of creating a better finished piece! Send me questions, and I'll send you answers...

If it's a matter of impartiality and it's just a matter of copypastaing the relevant texts, I can do it if need be. I've got plenty of space on here for storing such things.

Block 1 and 2 is now up, anyone in the Red Block must get their entries in on or before Saturday the 3rd of December.

Any questions or qualms, just send me a PM and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Nice, time to get my thinking-cap and get working on this story, good luck @Doc Gnosis: if you have any questions you want to ask me about my character just drop me a PM or something ;-)

@JoJoDeathunter: Thanks. Same for my character. I'd be glad to answer whatever you have in mind.

Am I first? Really? That makes me kind of anxious, actually; I'd hate to have to be the bar everyone else is measured against.

That should be under 1000 words; I can't be 100% certain, I had to change some things, and I fixed up some stuff, too, but I'm about 93% sure it's under 1000 words.

I've got other stuff planned, too; I'm going to elaborate on what happens to Issac, Soneyo and Roland, but it's not part of my actual submission, just additional stuff that adds to the world. I might also add a commentary explaining my thought process; I've done that before.

Oh shit, I have been way busy with family stuff and I didn't even know this was underway, am I out or have I missed anything major?

Viking Incognito:
Oh shit, I have been way busy with family stuff and I didn't even know this was underway, am I out or have I missed anything major?

Fortunately for you it's been pretty quiet around here recently; you're in Block 2 of the First Round which means you've got until December 3rd to get your first entry in, for full details see this post written by Krunk.

{ A Meeting of Minds }

[ Daman Ra versus Dimitry Shanks ]

Here is my first draft of my entry with a word count of 998 words. I have proof read it myself since my friend was busy but have it be known that I had to do edits from my phone so take it as you will.

So that 1000 word limit nearly killed me. It took me half as long to write this as it took to drop 76 words from the original draft to bring it to exactly 1000 words. I also had to cut a lot of ideas that I had thought of because of want to use everything available. That also meant that the combat writing took the biggest hit. For that I apologize and hope that I get selected to move onto the next round, which will hopefully have a higher word limit as I could have easily made this 3000 words+ like my sample entry.

Entry is earlier than I had anticipated. I may reread it tomorrow and edit if necessary but I'm pretty happy with it...despite that blasted word limit lol. In case you're all wondering, I'm bang on 1000 words.

So here it is, Faustus vs Zayin. (I've referred to her by her real name in my entry).

Mine is almost done, but I think I'll wait until Dec. 2 to submit it so I can revise a bit or in case I change my mind about the ending.

Relatively important question: Who should I show this to for proof-reading? Obviously not my opponent or the judges, I just don't know.

Traditionally speaking we're supposed to proofread our own stuff. If someone edits your peice for you a certain amount of their ability is reflected in what you wrote, the peice isn't a singular effort anymore. That said, I'm not wonderfully strict on this rule and I'll admit to having had first look at a friend of mine's production on one occasion so I'm really in no position to enforce this. I'd ask Lord Krunk for an official decision but, my first suggestion would be to proof read it yourself and if you're sure it still needs looking through i'd give it to a friend. But certainly not your opponent and I think it would be unfair to expect the judges to read through both the finished submitions and the unfinished submissions.

Viking Incognito:
Mine is almost done, but I think I'll wait until Dec. 2 to submit it so I can revise a bit or in case I change my mind about the ending.

Relatively important question: Who should I show this to for proof-reading? Obviously not my opponent or the judges, I just don't know.

You got any friends you can PM it to?

Khedive Rex:
snip

Yeah, it's true people shouldn't help write it, but proof reading for things like spelling and grammar mistakes is helpful. =P

I'll openly state this now. This is a writing contest. Your personal spelling and grammar are part of your writing and your writing ability. When someone else proofreads your battle, it is no longer just your writing because it is no longer just your writing and it shouldn't be allowed.

elementsoul:
I'll openly state this now. This is a writing contest. Your personal spelling and grammar are part of your writing and your writing ability. When someone else proofreads your battle it is no longer just your writing because it is no longer just your writing it shouldn't be allowed.

This. I am looking for some level of competency when I read these posts. If you have to look to outside sources when writing up something because you don't trust yourself to make sure you have something understandable before the judges, then there are going to be problems.

Viking Incognito:

Isn't that what things like Microsoft Word are for? It proofreads your piece and notifies you of any spelling or grammar mistakes.

I've read through mine so many times I could probably recite it from memory.

I think that allowing others to read your own work is ok as long as they're not helping you write/edit it. Getting an objective opinion is important to know if your work is actually good or bad because, as we all know, critiquing your own work can be difficult.

I, personally, got my girlfriend to read my entry...she said it was good. That is all. Not that I'd ever take her advice on writing anyway lol.

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that my girlfriend reads some real trashy novels, so what she says is good could be utterly wrong lol. ; P

Tips_of_Fingers:

Viking Incognito:

Isn't that what things like Microsoft Word are for? It proofreads your piece and notifies you of any spelling or grammar mistakes.

I've read through mine so many times I could probably recite it from memory.

I think that allowing others to read your own work is ok as long as they're not helping you write/edit it. Getting an objective opinion is important to know if your work is actually good or bad because, as we all know, critiquing your own work can be difficult.

I, personally, got my girlfriend to read my entry...she said it was good. That is all. Not that I'd ever take her advice on writing anyway lol.

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that my girlfriend reads some real trashy novels, so what she says is good could be utterly wrong lol. ; P

You forget that Microsoft word doesn't catch every grammar and spelling error. It's a good base to start with but proper proofreading is still required after using spelling and grammar check, because it doesn't always pick up incorrect word usage or where commas need to be inserted and such.

Now I agree that having someone else read your battle and give you feedback is fine as long as the ideas in the battle remain yours. This is mainly because they can state what they liked and didn't like about your battle which, could be contrary to what a judge's opinion would be. Therefore it holds a calculated risk against your battle as you could replace parts of your post and lose a judge's vote because of it.

elementsoul:
You forget that Microsoft word doesn't catch every grammar and spelling error. It's a good base to start with but proper proofreading is still required after using spelling and grammar check, because it doesn't always pick up incorrect word usage or where commas need to be inserted and such.

Also, Word hates it when you use anything other than U.S. English. Which is the worst English.

I kid, I kid.

I'm not going to stop any of you from having your works proofread, because it's fine by me. It's always good to have an outside opinion on your works, otherwise how would you know what you were doing wrong or right?

However, editing is a no-no. Only you are allowed to edit your piece, not anyone else. You can ask for an opinion or some suggestions, but nothing further than that.

Sorry if this has caused any confusion.

Chances are I'll do some more editing before tomorrow, but that's the basic idea.

I'm not a big fan with how I deal with the Priest, but seeing as William has 'a resistance to magic' and Hearts magic is essentially the Priest's powers, I decided it should be fine.

Current word count is bang on 1000.

Alot -and by that I mean ALOT- was changed in the course of 10 days. At first I had forgotten about the 1000 words limit, so when I rediscovered there was one, I had to cut down alot of content from the original draft.

Alas, it turned out alright and I will await judgement.

Man, 1000 words is a lot fewer than it sounds. I might be a little over but it shouldn't be by too much.

Edit: Must've read the word count wrong. My apologies. Chopped down to 1000.

Fragrance of Mtn Dew:

Man, 1000 words is a lot fewer than it sounds. I might be a little over but it shouldn't be by too much.

That is 187 words over. Trim it up. There should be no reason why you get a larger limit than everyone else who managed to drop theirs down to 1000.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked