On The Wayside RP (Interest Thread) [CLOSED]

Pages PREV 1 2

Haven't done this in quite a while, but your thread piqued my interest. After much thought, and labor my sheet is ready for your viewing pleasure. If any changes need be made then SO BE IT! I am kinda excited for this, haha!

TheIronRuler:

'In the year of our lord' did come from Latin, referring to Jesus Christ, but I do not want to involve any real world aspects in this fable. Instead I will use this dating system since it concerns the affairs of the Empire (And because using the Japanese dating system is a kick in a balls. No, I will not make a bloodline of all of the emperors and the time in which they ruled. I have a life. Sort of).

In the interest of creating some kind of comprehensive fictional world, can i ask that you refer to the 'In the year of our lords' as I was planning on introducing a large religous organisation that parallels the Christian church but moving away from monotheism and using a doctrine that suggests the world was created by a group of gods referred to not by name, but by the title Lord and whatever it was they were meant to have contributed to the creation of the world.

I only ask as it is such a small change that would make the reading of the final product seem more unified. Of course, if this fucks with your ideas too much, then no worries.

PleasantKenobi:

TheIronRuler:

'In the year of our lord' did come from Latin, referring to Jesus Christ, but I do not want to involve any real world aspects in this fable. Instead I will use this dating system since it concerns the affairs of the Empire (And because using the Japanese dating system is a kick in a balls. No, I will not make a bloodline of all of the emperors and the time in which they ruled. I have a life. Sort of).

In the interest of creating some kind of comprehensive fictional world, can i ask that you refer to the 'In the year of our lords' as I was planning on introducing a large religous organisation that parallels the Christian church but moving away from monotheism and using a doctrine that suggests the world was created by a group of gods referred to not by name, but by the title Lord and whatever it was they were meant to have contributed to the creation of the world.

I only ask as it is such a small change that would make the reading of the final product seem more unified. Of course, if this fucks with your ideas too much, then no worries.

Does the Empire fit into your ideas? Plus, we should further the discussion via PMs from now regarding these changes so that we won't mess the thread.

Ok guys, I'm going to make next Thursday the closing date for applications. All those who have submitted a sheet, make sure it's up to standard - and your own satisfaction - before this time. Those of you who have shown interest but have not yet thrown a sheet in, do so before next Thursday.

As always, if there are any questions, make sure to ask!

Catch y'all later, I'm going to wander Skyrim for a few hours.

Finally managed to get this finished, I apologise if it's ended up rather large:

I've introduced a new land, the Kingdom of Tamar, so to try to keep the world connected I've involved a couple of other nations and a religion mentioned by previous posters in it's history as well as annexing two cities which have been mentioned but haven't been given a location yet. If anyone has any objections to an inclusion please contact me and I'll happily change it. Note that I refer to Darren by his surname in the history section since that is the style generally used in historical non-fiction.

I've also used the same dating system as was used in earlier post, which I've worked out makes the present day in the RP as 753 under that calendar if I calculated correctly, if it isn't that again I'll gladly change it to the actual one. Any comments or criticisms would be gladly appreciated.

Edit: A some sentences have been improved and a few typo errors have been fixed, no details of importance has changed though.

Right, quick little update here. Due to some people having exams and me being a nice guy I'm delaying my decision for a whole day. Wow, aren't I generous. That means the deadline for applications and any edits you wish to make to your sheet is this FRIDAY.

Once I've decided who's in, I'll set up a group, we can all say hello and recap what I'm expecting, the rules etc, then we'll get started.

Also, just a little reminder: You should not mention how your character ended up at the campsite. Not in the biography, not in the history.

Thaaaaaaaaaanks.

EDIT: apparently I did the "what history says" wrong since most of it focused on what happened to her after the campfire which i failed to notice wasn't allowed. Today or tomorrow I'll be editing it heavily to make it fit properly and will probably have to make some minor changes to her personality and the like to make it fit.

PleasantKenobi:

TheIronRuler:

I was sort of planning a big scale religious institution paralleling christiantity as well. great mind think alike and what not, we might be able to combine them. Mine was kind of going to be imperialistic, warmongering and overly pious so if thats nothing like what you'd been intending we can keep them seperate.

Febel:

PleasantKenobi:

TheIronRuler:

I was sort of planning a big scale religious institution paralleling christiantity as well. great mind think alike and what not, we might be able to combine them. Mine was kind of going to be imperialistic, warmongering and overly pious so if thats nothing like what you'd been intending we can keep them seperate.

think of Absolute monarchy and Louis the 14th, but to a higher degree, "I am God". The Emperor is the divine conduit of our Lord, and his actions occasionally stem from divine right.
The King is strong and the land is centralized, I'm not sure how to incorporate your idea. PM me and we can discuss it.

TheIronRuler:

Febel:

think of Absolute monarchy and Louis the 14th, but to a higher degree, "I am God". The Emperor is the divine conduit of our Lord, and his actions occasionally stem from divine right.
The King is strong and the land is centralized, I'm not sure how to incorporate your idea. PM me and we can discuss it.

Since this discussion has come up now I might as well check, has your idea and the Lords of Creation by PK been merged together or are they separate entities? As you've probably noticed the Lords of Creation (or at-least a variant of it) are the majority religion in Tamar after it was brought in by missionaries so if there's anything important I should know about them or anything I've written that's contradictory it would be helpful to know, you can PM me if you don't want to fill up the thread.

Alright, Dames e Gaspada, this is getting on my nerves. If we all want one giant meta-universe, we need to cooperate and pool out ideas together. But if you want to keep your stories intact, you should probably not try and connect loosely related stories.
I also address the GM here - since the book was set in one time with a history that all of the story-tellers knew of, what should we do here if any person would address his own land while others would know nothing of it? Do you see this problem?

TheIronRuler:
Alright, Dames e Gaspada, this is getting on my nerves. If we all want one giant meta-universe, we need to cooperate and pool out ideas together. But if you want to keep your stories intact, you should probably not try and connect loosely related stories.
I also address the GM here - since the book was set in one time with a history that all of the story-tellers knew of, what should we do here if any person would address his own land while others would know nothing of it? Do you see this problem?

This is something I was going to address once I'd accepted the players on Friday. The idea is that the players work with the places that are mentioned in the accepted sheets.

When I think about it, trying to link it all in is pointless before I've accepted players so I apologise for the stupid mistake on my part. Cohesion isn't something that is necessary to be honest though, I If the accepted players wish to refer to someone else's lands/religions then they'll have to work it out with that particularly player via PM. As I said though, this will hopefully be sorted out once I've accepted players into the RP.

For now, I'll say wait until we all know who's participating before gallivanting off to refer to each others sheets.

Again, I apologise for the problem I've caused.

In terms of people talking about their own land during the RP...I honestly don't see the problem. People rarely always know the details of every land in the world. Sure, they may have heard of the place but don't actually know anything about it; it simply paves the way for more questions to be honest.

Just think of this RP's world as absolutely fucking massive. So massive that no person can hope to understand or know of every single land.

Remember: the characters have no idea how they ended up at the campfire, they don't know where the campfire is. For all you know, the campfire could be inhabiting a completely different world that your character is from. The location is kind of irrelevant. It's the interaction between characters and the stories they tell each other that is important.

I hope that helps???

Also, I'm a little confused as to what "book" you are referring to.

The 'Lords of Creation' or whatever names people want to label the accomapnyhing religion can be whatever yall want it to be. Opresive and supportive of military campaigns against non-believers? Sure! Priests and missionaries sympathetic to the plight of the peasants in Tamar? Go for it.

The only things I envision for the religion is that it is relatively far spread, with actual number of active followers in differing regions varying. That, and that there is supposedly several (seven?) 'Lords' who are sentient and nearing upon all-powerful, yet suspisciously absent from day to day life, similar to that of the Christian idea of God.

Other than that, go nuts! Or ignore it. When it comes to a coherent fictional world, a laid back aproach is probably the best one. I for one will not be using any date system, because it appears far too factual and rigid. One of the best aspects of spoken word/re-told narrative is that the potential for falible narration and bias.

I agree with PleasantKenobi, I don't think we need extensive world-building before the RP begins, rather we can let it happen naturally through discussion. None of places introduced have been fleshed out yet by more than the slightest margin yet so I can't see why it would damage the RP for say my character to mention something new about the Western Lands which he travelled through recently.

Also, from what Tips has written I'd think he'd agree when I say that the stories are the focus of this RP and the world is the backdrop on which they happen, important but only secondarily. Heck, since everything we know is being told by a character perhaps if there is contradictions between accounts that could be down to bias or a mistake on behalf of one of the tellers? (we wouldn't know which one though) That's what I think at-least.

JoJoDeathunter Hit the nail squarley on the head, to be honest! A concrete world is not important. The world will be created through the stories (depending on their content), and character interaction. What's important his how the character's interact with each other, how they conduct themselves around the campfire and the types of stories that they tell.

By all means, go into details of kingdoms, religions etc. within your own story if you want, but it is not, by any means, imperative that you do so. I definitely don't want the RP to be bogged down by concrete facts though...it defeats the purpose of it.

Pleasant Kenobi's got the right idea though with this sentence:

PleasantKenobi:
One of the best aspects of spoken word/re-told narrative is the potential for fallible narration and bias.

That is one of the things that I hope for in this RP.....

It should be noted that Dexero is not left out of Shannow's testimony due to inconsistent sheet-writing, but due to the pain of discussing the matter. Be sure it shall come about later.
Also, I chose to give the opinion of a biased historian to give insight into Drenan's new political situation, but if you want an objective summary of the character I can rustle one up...

Sir Strange Of The House Lycan:
Elias/Hatoor

I think I shall enjoy writing Shannow's reaction to a 'jester'...

ThreeWords:

Elias/Hatoor

I think I shall enjoy writing Shannow's reaction to a 'jester'...

I imagine he'll take it badly. Reading your character sheet, it occurs to me that that he's nearly snowball from Animal Farm.

Khedive Rex:

I...I think only one section was supposed to be in the first person. Impressive though, kudos.

Febel:

I...I think only one section was supposed to be in the first person. Impressive though, kudos.

Many thanks. Just felt like doing the whole thing first person since most of the RP will be that way. I suppose it was practise on how to use the guy's language.

I've been reading some of the other charcater sheets now that I submitted my own (I didn't want to before cause I didn't want to mix ideas.) I notice you say up top that apparently we aren't supposed to talk about what happens to our characters after the campfire in the history section. Is it alright as long as we don't mention the campfire at all? I'm a little concerned about that considering my history section details the final few years of Thibadeau's life.

Also, nice character.

Khedive Rex:

I've been reading some of the other charcater sheets now that I submitted my own (I didn't want to before cause I didn't want to mix ideas.) I notice you say up top that apparently we aren't supposed to talk about what happens to our characters after the campfire in the history section. Is it alright as long as we don't mention the campfire at all? I'm a little concerned about that considering my history section details the final few years of Thibadeau's life.

I hate to speak for Tips here, as it is his show and all, but you should not discuss what happens post-camp fire anywhere in your sheet. It has been stated several times, and at one point even in reference to someone not adhering to this request. You may need to edit your bio/history.

But other than that I am really liking your character by the way. : )

Ditto. Really awesome character.

Khedive Rex:

Many thanks. Just felt like doing the whole thing first person since most of the RP will be that way. I suppose it was practise on how to use the guy's language.

Also, nice character.

Obviously I've already PM'd you about the issue and I hope you can get it changed to your own satisfaction by the time I make my decision. I am going to give you until 10pm GMT to alter the sheet, which I think works out at around 5pm in America? Let me know if that's wrong.

I've been busy writing the Opening Post today and fretting over who to accept but 10pm (GMT) is the final deadline. I hope you're all suitably excited and good luck to Khedive Rex in his rush to change aspects of his sheet.

here's my entry sheet...on the day of the deadline xD.....

Editted. Its not as illustrous but it does tell a little more about Thibadeau's childhood.

Okie dokie, it's that time I've been dreading. THE DECISION!

First off I'd like to thank everybody who showed interest in the RP and made this decision so fucking difficult. For the past few days I've been going over the pros and cons of each sheet; the quality of writing, the character idea, how each one would fit into my plans. Quite honestly, I was overwhelmed by how good many of the sheets were. I even toyed with the idea of upping the number of players again!

In the end though, I think this is a good number of people to work with and unfortunately some characters had to be rejected. I can't stress enough how hard it was to decide...*sighs* but here it goes.

Below are a list of the accepted sheets:

PleasantKenobi:

Khedive Rex:

ThreeWords:

JoJoDeathunter:

Apparently the post was "too large" to do all in one go. Here's the rest of it lol.

Red_Fog:

Dectomax:

I apologise to all who didn't make it in, but I assure you that it was a very tight race. Hopefully you'll stick around and follow our progress.

For the accepted players, I ask you to join this User Group and begin our time 'On The Wayside'. [/terrible pun]

A CURSE ON YOUR HOUSE.
By which I mean good luck with the RP Mister Fingers and other involved.
*Takes his leave*

Well that's a shame. I already had like 70% of my story written out...

Snip

Febel:
Snip

So sorry to both of you. Your characters had great strengths and caused me so much difficulty in my decisions. In the end, though, I had to choose.

If this incarnation goes well though I may take the RP structure (characters telling a story) and create another incarnation in a different setting.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked