Sci-Fi Race making contest (Closed Winners on page 4)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

PrinceOfShapeir:
Yeah, I would figure so. The Ashuul are more the one scene wonder kind of thing, or otherwise something that might crop up in the plot, not a major mover and shaker in the story, they're far too bizarre and isolationist for that.

Alright, I have a couple of issues and a question or two that need ironing out. Take your time if you need it, after I write this I need to get back to revising for an exam tomorrow so I won't be able to reply for a while anyway. Firstly there are two contradictions with the established canon which AV2 touched on:

1) Since magic doesn't exist in the universe, I'm afraid that the Ashuul can't specifically use psychic powers, although they can use some very advanced technology/electro-magnetics/unknown to SU science thing which has effectively the same end result.

2) The word "immortal" is a little too strong, giving them an indefinite lifespan if they aren't killed or diseased and them being hard to kill due to their gaseous nature or something similar would mean they are less potentially over-powered and be otherwise not that changed.

Those are only the two nit-picks I have right now, though I have a question: how and in what way do the Ashuul interact with solid matter? You mention that they have ships so presumably they can do something with solids but further details on that would be much appreciated.

@AV2, @retyopy: Either later tonight or sometime tomorrow I'll comment on your entries too, thanks for entering :-)

retyopy:
Can we do more than one?

Sure, go ahead, I'm no good at these sorts of ideas anyway and AV2 has already made a lot of races so the more fresh blood we get the better!

1 makes sense. Some kind of control over magnetism would work just as well, although it would kind of mess with how incomprehensible their communications are. Still, I'm sure a not quite psychic means of transmitting information directly into somebody's mind works well enough.

2 was what I meant. They don't age, but they can be destroyed - besides dedicated weapons intending to kill them, dispersing them works as well, an individual Ashuul that is less than 50 cubic centimeters in volume will die and become nebular gas. If absorbed into a different Ashuul, this Ashuul will not retain memories. Dispersal can be done in a number of ways, but the most common way is to just shell their ships with nuclear or antimatter torpedoes.

As for their interaction with solid matter, they're capable of - over a considerable period of time and with sufficient size - using their powers to bend and shape materials. As long as the ship is airtight, it basically works the same way for an Ashuul as it would for a Human, a means of transportation. They aren't capable of moving across stellar distances at a particularly fast pace without the assistance of ships.

PrinceOfShapeir:
They aren't Gods. They are...ethereal. Strange. Alien. And a primitive would find them rather deific. They're pretty advanced technologically, a corollary of Clarke's Third Law (any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic) is that a sufficiently more advanced being is indistinguishable from deity. You'll note nowhere do I describe the Ashuul as being Gods, merely of having possibly been perceived as one at a point in their history.

Sorry about that. I'll try and make my criticism more clear now I have time. I'll admit that they might be accepted but there will be changes you'll need to make, I hope this clears things up.

Also I'd stil like to talk about what you meant by

PrinceOfShapeir:
Ah, you wanted a green skin space babe, or a species that was otherwise a knockoff of two earth species kludged together? Should've said so.

In all honesty I think the accusation is unfounded but if you generally feel this way then you deserve a chance to back up your point.

retyopy:
Can we do more than one?

I wasn't aware we couldn't.
I sure hope not, I've done about 6.

JoJoDeathunter:

PrinceOfShapeir:
Yeah, I would figure so. The Ashuul are more the one scene wonder kind of thing, or otherwise something that might crop up in the plot, not a major mover and shaker in the story, they're far too bizarre and isolationist for that.

Alright, I have a couple of issues and a question or two that need ironing out. Take your time if you need it, after I write this I need to get back to revising for an exam tomorrow so I won't be able to reply for a while anyway. Firstly there are two contradictions with the established canon which AV2 touched on:

1) Since magic doesn't exist in the universe, I'm afraid that the Ashuul can't specifically use psychic powers, although they can use some very advanced technology/electro-magnetics/unknown to SU science thing which has effectively the same end result.

2) The word "immortal" is a little too strong, giving them an indefinite lifespan if they aren't killed or diseased and them being hard to kill due to their gaseous nature or something similar would mean they are less potentially over-powered and be otherwise not that changed.

Those are only the two nit-picks I have right now, though I have a question: how and in what way do the Ashuul interact with solid matter? You mention that they have ships so presumably they can do something with solids but further details on that would be much appreciated.

@AV2, @retyopy: Either later tonight or sometime tomorrow I'll comment on your entries too, thanks for entering :-)

retyopy:
Can we do more than one?

Sure, go ahead, I'm no good at these sorts of ideas anyway and AV2 has already made a lot of races so the more fresh blood we get the better!

PrinceOfShapeir:
1 makes sense. Some kind of control over magnetism would work just as well, although it would kind of mess with how incomprehensible their communications are. Still, I'm sure a not quite psychic means of transmitting information directly into somebody's mind works well enough.

2 was what I meant. They don't age, but they can be destroyed - besides dedicated weapons intending to kill them, dispersing them works as well, an individual Ashuul that is less than 50 cubic centimeters in volume will die and become nebular gas. If absorbed into a different Ashuul, this Ashuul will not retain memories. Dispersal can be done in a number of ways, but the most common way is to just shell their ships with nuclear or antimatter torpedoes.

As for their interaction with solid matter, they're capable of - over a considerable period of time and with sufficient size - using their powers to bend and shape materials. As long as the ship is airtight, it basically works the same way for an Ashuul as it would for a Human, a means of transportation. They aren't capable of moving across stellar distances at a particularly fast pace without the assistance of ships.

Ok this does help deal with some of my critique but i'd stil like you to look at my annotations in post 38 because while agree with what JoJo says there are some extra points which weren't covered.

Alright, I'm going to go think about a new species, and I will report back with the POWER of EDITING!

Okay, one: Stuff in italics is notes made by scientific researchers. It's more intended to show how the Ashuul are perceived than any factual data about them. It's equally likely that the Ashuul were named by an unknown race that eventually passed onto the Duras. More likely, in fact.

As for the rest of your concerns, it would kind of kill the whole concept behind the race to have every aspect of them be explained in detail, particularly in an open thread. But whatever. Also, it's spelled -magnetism- not -magnesium-. Half the point behind the race was to be a mysterious thing in the universe, a wonder and a mystery that might never be explained.

And to be honest, most of your questions are stupid. How do you seek them out? You go to a -nebula-. How do they shape nebula? Presumably by -being- the Nebula. How do they reproduce? They grow and split. I do explain most of these things.

As for how they feed, I hadn't really considered it much, to be honest. I was more interested in the interesting parts of the race than pointless, boring minutiae like 'what's their diet' but logically, their diet would probably be solar wind. Likewise, I hadn't considered whether they'd be battered about by wind because I cannot imagine a single reason one of these beings would ever go to a planet. As they are -physical- (notice they are -gaseous- not spiritual) though they would certainly be effected by gravity, and logically by wind as well.

You can't explain Ashuul physiology or culture because there are pretty much no reference points. They are -completely- alien.

Honestly, the prohibition against psychic powers is rather perplexing, considering you already have FTL travel - which unlike psychic powers is a complete violation of the laws of physics, rather than just being rather improbable and unlikely.

If you need specific weapons, fine. They use particle beams. Showy, effective. Generally have a primary one mounted axially on their ships with several others on ball mounts for dealing with more problematic, smaller craft.

Anyway. The crux of this problem is this - I left stuff open because I figured that if shit like their home nebula or their origins became important, it would need to be fitted into the RP more intimately. Also because the race is intended to be strange and rather mysterious, and blathering every detail about them would be rather foolish.

I was making a new species but I decided I didn't like it halfway through and deletd everything, and now I've got major writers block for all writing ever. My brain is just not functioning.

Sheesh.

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip

Then have you considered that they might just not work for this RP? I don't know that much about how this is going to work, but from what I gather, it might just not work out. Look, I know it sucks. I was just working on something not 5 minutes ago, and I had to scrap it because it just wouldn't fit. I like the concept, I like the way its written, but it might just not be right. I have no say in this, but if I were you, well, I would keep trying to get it to fit, but if I were more reasonable, I'd save it for another time and work on something else. Not trying to put you down, I really like it, and I obviously have no say, but...

PrinceOfShapeir:
Okay, one: Stuff in italics is notes made by scientific researchers. It's more intended to show how the Ashuul are perceived than any factual data about them. It's equally likely that the Ashuul were named by an unknown race that eventually passed onto the Duras. More likely, in fact.

As for the rest of your concerns, it would kind of kill the whole concept behind the race to have every aspect of them be explained in detail, particularly in an open thread. But whatever. Also, it's spelled -magnetism- not -magnesium-. Half the point behind the race was to be a mysterious thing in the universe, a wonder and a mystery that might never be explained.

And to be honest, most of your questions are stupid. How do you seek them out? You go to a -nebula-. How do they shape nebula? Presumably by -being- the Nebula. How do they reproduce? They grow and split. I do explain most of these things.

As for how they feed, I hadn't really considered it much, to be honest. I was more interested in the interesting parts of the race than pointless, boring minutiae like 'what's their diet' but logically, their diet would probably be solar wind. Likewise, I hadn't considered whether they'd be battered about by wind because I cannot imagine a single reason one of these beings would ever go to a planet. As they are -physical- (notice they are -gaseous- not spiritual) though they would certainly be effected by gravity, and logically by wind as well.

You can't explain Ashuul physiology or culture because there are pretty much no reference points. They are -completely- alien.

Honestly, the prohibition against psychic powers is rather perplexing, considering you already have FTL travel - which unlike psychic powers is a complete violation of the laws of physics, rather than just being rather improbable and unlikely.

If you need specific weapons, fine. They use particle beams. Showy, effective. Generally have a primary one mounted axially on their ships with several others on ball mounts for dealing with more problematic, smaller craft.

Anyway. The crux of this problem is this - I left stuff open because I figured that if shit like their home nebula or their origins became important, it would need to be fitted into the RP more intimately. Also because the race is intended to be strange and rather mysterious, and blathering every detail about them would be rather foolish.

Unfortunately leaving stuff out doesn't really work since me and JoJo will need to know this information if we are to properly run the universe with them in it. By all means feel free to PM us with an explanation and not post it here but there still needs to be one, omnipotence is necessary for a GM.
Also if there really isn't any reference point then I'm afraid that's your problem, the races need to be on at least some level understandable or who are we supposed to communicate about them. If you can't explain it here how do you explain it to work in a game with people that might not be as familiar with the universe?

Aside from that calling my questions stupid doesn't answer them.
Also you might find diet boring but I'd consider it an important part of the universe's depth.

retyopy:

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip

Then have you considered that they might just not work for this RP? I don't know that much about how this is going to work, but from what I gather, it might just not work out. Look, I know it sucks. I was just working on something not 5 minutes ago, and I had to scrap it because it just wouldn't fit. I like the concept, I like the way its written, but it might just not be right. I have no say in this, but if I were you, well, I would keep trying to get it to fit, but if I were more reasonable, I'd save it for another time and work on something else. Not trying to put you down, I really like it, and I obviously have no say, but...

You might have a point.

avouleance2nd:
snip

Hey, I'm not tryng to say that it's bad, I'm just saying it may not work with all the established canon. Canon? Yeah, I think so.

For the sake of having something to do, I may just create something this week. Would you recommend I read all the stuff in the other thread before writing up a sheet? Or is there only a few specific bits of info I should look at?

Tips_of_Fingers:
For the sake of having something to do, I may just create something this week. Would you recommend I read all the stuff in the other thread before writing up a sheet? Or is there only a few specific bits of info I should look at?

There's a heck of a lot of stuff so you don't have to read all of it, I would only recommend reading up about an existing race or faction if you intend to mention them in your sheet. You should probably check out the shortened descriptions of the existing races on the OP on this thread though so you don't end up creating something similar to what's already been done by coincidence.

I answered your pointless questions, actually. Read what I say. Anyway, if you're so hard up for conclusive answers, here you go.

JoJoDeathunter:

Tips_of_Fingers:

There's a heck of a lot of stuff so you don't have to read all of it, I would only recommend reading up about an existing race or faction if you intend to mention them in your sheet. You should probably check out the shortened descriptions of the existing races on the OP on this thread though so you don't end up creating something similar to what's already been done by coincidence.

Faaaaair. I might have something up this week. Maybe....

What's the rules regarding races that are similar to humans but have enough differences to make them a separate race in their own right? I guess the best way I could explain what I'm thinking of is Imperials/Bretons/Nords from The Elder Scrolls series... Although, I'd be including more distinct differences.

Nords, Imperials, and Redguards are ethnicities, not races. Bretons have some mixed Mer blood in them.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Nords, Imperials, and Redguards are ethnicities, not races. Bretons have some mixed Mer blood in them.

Good point, well presented.

Despite the fact that they're all grouped under "races" not enthnicity, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Ignore my example lol.

Tips_of_Fingers:

JoJoDeathunter:

Tips_of_Fingers:

Faaaaair. I might have something up this week. Maybe....

What's the rules regarding races that are similar to humans but have enough differences to make them a separate race in their own right? I guess the best way I could explain what I'm thinking of is Imperials/Bretons/Nords from The Elder Scrolls series... Although, I'd be including more distinct differences.

Well, humanoid aliens are a no-no in general, the year in the universe is 5202 so there hasn't been time for any drastic evolution of the human race and having a similar race evolve independently is very improbable. Humanity all went to Mars at one point after trashing the Earth and ended up coming back about a thousand years later so there has been a significant amount of race-mixing but all the existing phenotypes found in humans today can still be found in the 53rd century and there are still distinct nationalities to a point, but they aren't the same ones that exist today. Most humans live in an alliance with the Crelm in the Solanic Union (S.U.) but there are other human factions with their own civilisations such as the Ra Empire and resistance groups that hold very different values such as the Followers of Pi.

So basically, you can make a minority faction of humankind if you want, who may well due to a genetic bottleneck have certain phenotypes common in their population, but unless they have deliberately bio-engineered themselves they can't look much different from what is found today in the 21st century human population.

JoJoDeathunter:

Well, humanoid aliens are a no-no in general, the year in the universe is 5202 so there hasn't been time for any drastic evolution of the human race and having a similar race evolve independently is very improbable. Humanity all went to Mars at one point after trashing the Earth and ended up coming back about a thousand years later so there has been a significant amount of race-mixing but all the existing phenotypes found in humans today can still be found in the 53rd century and there are still distinct nationalities to a point, but they aren't the same ones that exist today. Most humans live in an alliance with the Crelm in the Solanic Union (S.U.) but there are other human factions with their own civilisations such as the Ra Empire and resistance groups that hold very different values such as the Followers of Pi.

So basically, you can make a minority faction of humankind if you want, who may well due to a genetic bottleneck have certain phenotypes common in their population, but unless they have deliberately bio-engineered themselves they can't look much different from what is found today in the 21st century human population.

Improbable? With the vastness of the universe you're saying that no humanoid aliens would exist? I'm not talking about a race evolved from humans, but a race that is kind of similar to humans in terms of life-cycle diet, appearance (to an extent). The main difference would stem from environmental issues (eg. living on a desert planet, ice planet, planet low in food etc etc.)

It's your call, obviously.

Also, would human colonies/communities that have adapted to life in drastically different environments count? Obviously it shows less creativity, but it'd be good to know what kind of thing I'm allowed to work with.

Am I allowed to mess with established canon a bit? Not really a lot, just add something on. It's basically an idea about a splinter group of humanity who set up their own world, beleiving ventures into space were an affront to God. They also beleive that it is their purpose to destroy the S.U., and that they were chosen to recreate Eden on their planet of choice.

Tips_of_Fingers:

JoJoDeathunter:

Improbable? With the vastness of the universe you're saying that no humanoid aliens would exist? I'm not talking about a race evolved from humans, but a race that is kind of similar to humans in terms of life-cycle diet, appearance (to an extent). The main difference would stem from environmental issues (eg. living on a desert planet, ice planet, planet low in food etc etc.)

It's your call, obviously.

Also, would human colonies/communities that have adapted to life in drastically different environments count? Obviously it shows less creativity, but it'd be good to know what kind of thing I'm allowed to work with.

Other humanoids might well exist somewhere in the vastness of space, but this particular place we are creating doesn't even cover our one galaxy entirely, let alone the universe, and only in one small bit of time. Sorry but the general assumption has been that aliens who appear very similar to humans don't appear in the universe and we've established too much to deviate from that now. Human colonies that have adapted are allowed but do take into account that from evolutionary terms there has been practically no time to evolve significantly so any new differences (existing phenotypes such as dark skin don't count) will have to have a bio-tech origin.

retyopy:
Am I allowed to mess with established canon a bit? Not really a lot, just add something on. It's basically an idea about a splinter group of humanity who set up their own world, beleiving ventures into space were an affront to God. They also beleive that it is their purpose to destroy the S.U., and that they were chosen to recreate Eden on their planet of choice.

That is definitely allowed, however a similar group already exists which I have spoilered below, so if you do wish to make the group could you either make it part of these guys or give them some significantly different beliefs so the two don't get confused with each other:

JoJoDeathunter:

Other humanoids might well exist somewhere in the vastness of space, but this particular place we are creating doesn't even cover our one galaxy entirely, let alone the universe, and only in one small bit of time. Sorry but the general assumption has been that aliens who appear very similar to humans don't appear in the universe and we've established too much to deviate from that now. Human colonies that have adapted are allowed but do take into account that from evolutionary terms there has been practically no time to evolve significantly so any new differences (existing phenotypes such as dark skin don't count) will have to have a bio-tech origin.

Ah ok, I likely would have come across that piece of info when reading the other thread tomorrow. It's good to know form the start though that that's what is established.

Thanks for the info and I guess I'll work on something during the week.

PrinceOfShapeir:
I answered your pointless questions, actually. Read what I say. Anyway, if you're so hard up for conclusive answers, here you go.

This just comes off as really fantasy not Sci-Fi, there's so much not yet explained, not that it's a bad idea but I don't really feel it fits.

Wait, who exactly is judging this?

retyopy:
Wait, who exactly is judging this?

JoJo has the final word but I think i still have some sway.

I'm in the process of making a race... In summary, they're a race of silent, religious writers, beleiving that war and conflict are the ultimate sin.

retyopy:
I'm in the process of making a race... In summary, they're a race of silent, religious writers, beleiving that war and conflict are the ultimate sin.

Ok but that's more a culture than a race, sure they could be naturally geared against war but having them all be writers as well and all be religious might invoke planet full of hats which wouldn't be good.
Of course that's just a initial reaction, show us what you got when you can and prove me wrong.

To be honest I don't think the last race I produced was up to my usual standards. So I'm working on another race(s) to compensate.

Let's hope this makes up for it

What was the last one?

retyopy:
What was the last one?

the Auteroggarni

Honestly? I preffered that to this one. Not because the Onti-stiff idn't good, but because I like the Autoroggarni. But you're the person.

retyopy:
Honestly? I preffered that to this one. Not because the Onti-stiff idn't good, but because I like the Autoroggarni. But you're the person.

To be honest I prefer these but i think the Autteroggarni were fine, just not my best.

By the way have you considered putting one of the mascaraed into the pub?

Well, I was thinking about getting rid of Ben since he never really ended up getting anywhere and replacing him with a Maskerade, but I only wanted to do it if ended up getting through. Speaking of which, what's my chance of getting through, do you think?

And I would make a new one, if it weren't this stupid WRITERS BLOCK! RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!

I plan on making a second race (The more civilized but physically weak Mez), sometimes tomorrow.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked