Star Brigade: A 53rd Century Adventure RP

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 15 NEXT

avouleance2nd:
snip

Soviet Heavy:
snip

Dirran looked moodily between Tom and Lime and made an odd sound that resembled a human sigh.

"You're back," he growled in a matter of fact tone "Fine, tell me where your instructions are to go and I'll point you in the right direction. Maybe if I'm lucky I won't have to see you again."

JoJoDeathunter:

avouleance2nd:
snip

Soviet Heavy:
snip

Dirran looked moodily between Tom and Lime and made an odd sound that resembled a human sigh.

"You're back," he growled in a matter of fact tone "Fine, tell me where your instructions are to go and I'll point you in the right direction. Maybe if I'm lucky I won't have to see you again."

"Fine then. We were supposed to check one of the outlying facilities for survivors, while our other team moved on to the main colony. Kind of hard to do that when we have no maps. And what was that about swarming creatures before?"

JoJoDeathunter:
Snip

TheBlueShotgun0:
Snip

Thor put himself between James and the Durras recreating space between the two groups. "Seems your commander didn't tell you we were headed to the main colony". Thor stepped to a more open position between the groups.

"Amazan, I thought we agreed to meet there. Yet your here, mind telling us why"?

Dirran turned to look at Tom. "Skillex. They're little pests that attack in shoals out in the ocean. One isn't much of a problem, but a thousand is a different story. If you bleed into the water, they'll follow you until you stop moving. Like a Jomic Brusher Swarm, except water based."

Tom had paled a bit. "What do they look like, exactly?" he asked hesitantly.

"The historical references to Earth describe a creature known as a Lamprey. Think that, but bigger, and with fins. Oh, and the teeth, can't forget those. Millions of them."

"Oh, lovely." said tom, looking ill. "Well, apart from swarms of creepy killer fish, do you have any map layouts we could use?"

"Here, take them." said Diran absentmindedly, turning back to his work. "You were going to the outer facilities right? Follow the main boulevard, and turn left. The facilities are in the smaller domes off to the side of the main settlement."

avouleance2nd:
Snip

SeanTheBlueSheep:
Snip

razor343:
Snip

Thanking Diran for his help, this time the group left on slightly better terms, though Tom could still feel Lime and Til's disapproval. Brian hadn't said anything since they landed, so Tom wasn't quite sure what to think about his opinion yet.

The settlement was very strange. Underneath the giant transparent dome, Tom felt like he was inside an enormous snow globe. Aquatic trees and rounded buildings dominated the walkway. The air was very thick and soupy, a byproduct of the wet planet's atmosphere. Things were designed in a way that if the dome was breached, the plant life could still live, and smaller buildings could be individually sealed for survival.

The four walked for twenty minutes along Diran's route. Eventually they came to the center. It was built like a massive market area, but there were no shops, no people, and no signs that anyone had been there for some time. Even the ground was picked clean, no garbage or refuse littered the streets. It was totally silent.

"He said to turn left, right?" said Tom. Lime nodded in acknowledgement. He seemed to be giving Tom the silent treatment for earlier. "Will you just let it drop, Lime? It was a mistake, and things worked out in the end. It could've gone worse, you know. He could have shot us."

To nobody in particular, Tom mused. "What sort of interest would the Durras have with a water world? They're tree dwellers, you'd think Oceans would be the last place to find them."

"You people tried to go to mars; I don't think your experts on colonisation. Anyway I think it's more symbolic, this is there first non-lunar colony after all. Probably means a lot to them."
Lime had begun searching around. Looking into some of the buildings. Then heandshe noticed them, a human.
"I've found one, looks like he's been through a hell of a lot.
Don't worry sir we're here to help."
There was a shrike.
"Bastard." Lime called out. The human was extremely aggressive having leapt at the crelm. He was clawing at himandher, even tried biting. Lime struggled with her for a while before getting off a singly proboscis shot, after that heandshe was able to shrug off the attacker.

Several more similar looking humans were emerging from nearby buildings.

Soviet Heavy:
snip

avouleance2nd:
snip

The human who had been fighting with Lime, a thin brown-skinned man whose messy black stumble was streaked with grey, fell to the ground in a heap. From where he lay he tried to wave his hands and speak but nothing would pass through his lips. One of the humans watching from the nearby buildings, a young man in his late teens with similar features to the older attacker, ran forwards to hold the man whilst brandishing what appeared to be a makeshift club at the corps.

"Wait, Dad, not yet!" The teenager cried to his injured father, then looked up in anger at the team surrounding him, "Who are you? What have you done to him?" He shouted, one of his eye's twitching slightly.

JoJoDeathunter:

Snip

"I defended myself.
I'm sorry."
Wait a minute. Where did he hit.
"Ok I can save him, maybe. But I'll need to act quickly and I mean instantly. Your father can't really give consent so you'll have to."
Lime pulled out a combat knife. Pretty sharp enough so that, Lime could do the job with a single motion.
"If he loses the arm he might just live."
Lime was too wrapped up in the situation to really notice what was wrong. Why had the attacker been so savage? Even a desperate human would have tried arming themselves or fight differently, maybe the tumour meat had gotten into more than the animals.

TheBlueShotgun0:

Snip

Tiger Sora:
Snip

Colony team
Amazan began sounding ever so slightly offended at the question.
"We were a little held up; wildlife here's gotten pretty aggressive, classic gryale.
Anyway if we hadn't been here I doubt you'd have made it to meet us.
How armed are you."
Why the S.U sent tagged their weapons it would make things much easier.
You could hear the simultaneous clicking of many different sonars looking for their weapons.
Amazan kept speaking.
"Anyway what do you know about the gryale?"

"Mind controlling animals that your people worship as gods." Spoke Mae, able to recall his knowledge about the Gryale from the time he studied the Durras. "However I do not think this is the time for a quiz on Xenobiology. We came armed enough to deal with any local wildlife that may be in the wilderness, and with your group combined with ours we should be well fit to make it to the colony." He didn't want to waste time talking until they were at least at the colony, out of fear that the wilderness would tear his suit and that there may be survivors dying while they tarried.

avouleance2nd:
snip

"You have to cut his fucking arm off?!" The young man almost screamed at Lime, for a moment it seemed as if he would leap for the Crelm with his makeshift club. The other two humans, a pale scrawny male and a female counterpart, silently approached behind the boy but still kept their distance from the team. The young man bowed his head "Fine... just do it," he spat out through gritted teeth, hugging his father closely.

"In SU space, they are treated as highly dangerous. I suppose this isn't the SU though, so it's your call." Muokilaxes was still a little uneasy being surrounded by a bunch of armed soldiers from a foreign power, but that was diplomacy. "also is there any treatment for being... infected with the gyrale?"

Editing

JoJoDeathunter:

Snip

Lime did it. Single simple slash. The arm fell to the ground, inspecting the wound on the man's end revealed no bacteria. Lime placed a tentacle to the wound able to apply enough pressure to keep the bleeding low.
"If you've got bandages get them. Otherwise we just need something hot to cauterize the wound.
It was only seconds later the arm on the ground began to leak. Luckily Lime was able to resist temptation to eat it.

Bravo 21:

Snip

Amazam wasn't exactly pleased with that.
"There's no cure as you call it. With proper dosage management we should be more than able to help them, in fact they'll probably be better off for it. Anyway this isn't the time your right."
She points off into the distance.
"We're heading over there, its main habitation for all colonists and yes that includes the gryale."

avouleance2nd:
Snip

"Wait, said Tom. "We don't need bandages. Before we landed, the human crewmembers all had to take a pressure sealant for our pores so we could survive the atmosphere outside the dome. I brought some extra injections along just in case. We could use them to seal the blood flow."

The teen looked at Tom with pleading eyes. "Well do it then, genius! Don't stand there telling us how it works, fucking use it!"

"All right all right." said Tom exasperatedly. "Just hold him down.... wait, he's unconscious, never mind." Tom brandished one of the sealant injectors. Piercing the arm just above the amputation, Tom slowly squeezed the fluid into the wound. The fast acting sealant covered the bloody stump with a filmy layer, but the bleeding stopped.

"What are you all doing out here?" asked Tom. "Were you hiding in the warehouses?"

avouleance2nd:
snip

Soviet Heavy:
snip

"How do we know we can trust you?" The teen asked suspiciously, his grip on the club remaining firm. The pale woman standing behind him approached and put a hand on his shoulder.

"They helped your father Najeeb, it can't do any harm," she said soothingly.

When he refused to reply, she took a step forward and offered a hand to Tom.

"In the warehouses yes, but not hiding," she replied to his question "We were searching for supplies for our families back at the facility. I'm Ruth by the way, say did someone actually hear our distress beacon, or is this just a heck of a coincidence?"

avouleance2nd:
Snip

Bravo 21:
Snip

A Gent of Villainous Intent:
Snip

"Gryale. Thankfully I haven't had the displeasure of dealing with them face to face. First time for everything though". Thor heft his rifle up onto his shoulder. "Lets get to the colony before one of these creatures comes".

Tiger Sora:

Snip

Amazam wasn't going to take offence at that, the situation just didn't support it.
Passing through another small treed area they came to a much barer area.
The path to the colony was fairly dramatic a raised path of dunes with a decent dip on either sides. The land was bare from trees so nothing stopped you seeing the wall of water.
The sandy land either side of the dunes was littered with wildlife. At least five of those things from the dissection table and at least a dozen other creatures. Then again they looked fairly inactive many were either partially buried in the sand and you suspected most of the larger ones were dead. A few moved but not much.
Amazan barked a few orders.
"Stay alert, and we'll need to keep single file the dunes can be slippery."

JoJo:
snip

Soviet Heavy:
snip

"Good work Anderson." No choice but to for Lime to admit it. "Quick thinking there."
Now there was information to gather.
"What supplies are you using? Have you been consuming tumour meat?"
Best to get the big one over with. If they weren't then all was well.
But if they were then thing would be much worse.
Lime tried to not check hisandher gun too visibly.

avouleance2nd:
snip

Soviet Heavy:
snip

"Tumour meat?" Ruth gave Lime a quizzical look "We've been eating whatever we can find, it's not easy finding enough food when you're supporting a load of sick..." she stopped herself, her face hardening. "Wait a minute, you still haven't told us who you are yet. No offence but I'm not going to risk my companions until I get filled in on who you're serving. I can tell you four are SU by your uniforms, are you the military?"

~

Meanwhile back on the ship, the Captain was instructing Lisa on how to fill out the prelimary mission reports, he had never been able to get the hang of typing with more than one finger and was hoping that the AI could be recruited in helping carry out the pen-pushing for him.

"No Lisa, you put the surname before the first name on these forms... yes I know it doesn't make sense, I don't know why they do it like that either. Now for the date remember to... wait a moment, I've got someone coming in."

Kalade entered in the bridge carrying a notebook and looking like she was failing to suppress a smirk.

"What is it? I'm busy," the Captain snapped, he was feeling tense not knowing what his corps were up to on the ground.

"I've got a reply from the New Terran police about the ID we found on the saboteur,"

"Let's take a look then," the Captain said and quickly scanned the report she handed him.

5th Janurary, 5252

Dear Captain Thomas Vance of the Star Brigade, 7th Diplomatic Corps,

Your request for data on the citizen "Jaden Karl Northover" has been recieved and duely processed. We regret to inform you that Senator Northover of the Western Sector is most certainly still alive and as of time of writing resides in New Terra. The address included in your request was an empty warehouse previously associated with serious crime, the other details on the ID card were non-existent. Please run more careful checks before contacting us again.

Yours Sincerely,

Chief of New Terran Police Huan Mao,

"Damn, fuck it," The Captain swore and slapped his knee with his hand "I knew I recognised that name from somewhere. Kalade, get Nate through to me ASAP, I need to know how those secondary tests are coming along."

JoJo:
Snip

On the ground

"I'm ex-military but no, we're diplomatic corps.
But what matters is that we are here to help. Now you just need to get back to the ship."
"30 minutes until submersion."
Lisa picked the worse possible moment to say that.
"How is that even possible we've only just got here."
"I think you'll find it's been longer than you think."
What was that supposed to mean?
Back on the ship.
Kalade's giggling was cut short when she noticed the captain looking at her horns specifically the one that was still in the process of un-smashing itself.
"You can stop that act now Lisa." Kalade sounded slightly worried; hoping fixing the Ai was going to divert his attention away again. "And I'll send for Dr Nate."
The bird burst from her tail quickly going off to find the doctor.

Tiger Sora:

Bravo 21:
Snip

Snip

The sounds of the cascade only built and built.
The Durras commander spoke any.
"Come on we need to get a move on." It was almost hard to hear the speech over the noise.
The fore tide came first; it was at the base racing towards them.
Several of the durras were already making their way over the dune bridge. The change in the environment was almost instant; many creatures burst out of the ground other began to stir. Quite a few actually were dead but even they started floating.

"Get moving! Why are you standing around?" The commander again.
The durras didn't move to well across the dune bridge. They had been much quicker through the forest, being able to use all their limbs certainly helped. A few drew their weapons, they were great fans of blades, when informed of the need to update to ranged tech they just started throwing them.

The creatures now reawakened by the flow started to advance on the dunes.
Initially most were bisected by durras blades, but eventually being overwhelmed was inevitable.

avouleance2nd:
snip

Soviet Heavy:
snip

"But what matters is that we are here to help. Now you just need to get back to the ship"

Ruth shook her head in reply to Lime's statement.

"There's many more of us back at the facility, about thirty in total if you include those with the sickness. About a third of those are crelm, the rest human. I personally have no relatives here but many of us such as Najeed and his father have family hiding out there." She paused for a moment as if considering something, then continued "We aren't leaving without them too. The facility is falling apart but it'll hold for another couple of days at-least, why not come back with us and shelter while the sea is over us? Your ship can prepare to rescue us after the sea has passed. What say you four to that?"

~

Tiger Sora:
snip

Bravo 21:
snip

snip

TheBlueShotgun0:
snip

Amazan and her troops backed together into a defensive formation against the rising mass of alien creatures emerging from the dune, the Durras scrambling to keep upright in the cloying sand whilst they fought their assailants off. The native life-forms most closely resembled crustaceans, their many legs clicking and each possessing a pair of grabbing claws. If any of the corps had been an expert in xenobiology, they would have recognised the aliens as a colony organism not unlike the ants found on Earth, except many times larger in this case.

"Come help us!" Amazan shouted to the four Diplomatic corps who were coordinating their own survival efforts "According to my PDA, we have less than half an hour before the sea reaches this part of the planet. We have to be at the central colony by then or else we'll be drowned!"

Mae was usually great under pressure. Deadlines didn't cause him to worry, he was great at sorting out situations peacefully, and he had a good way of diffusing fights before they began.

However this was the first time in his life he was being attacked by a swarm of hostile non-sentient creatures, only one of which was needed to get close to him before he could possibly suffocate to death.

This is the kind of pressure Mae could not handle.

Mae drew the small pistol on his person and began randomly firing into the mass of oncoming creatures. He let out several hisses in panic, and immediately backed up to his more physically capable teammates. "Why are we just sitting here and letting them overrun us?! WE NEED TO MOVE!" He yelled, for once his calm and collected voice filled with horror and fear.

The creatures were fast, and quite large, but none of them were as big as a Ferrax. Muokilaxes moved back, shooting or bludgeoning any creature that dared come close to him, but he was forced to recognize that they were severely outnumbered, and they were not here to massacre these bugs anyway.

Looking back at the Mezian, he could see that this was no warrior. "Stop standing there then! Get moving!" he shouted back. "Thor, Orders?" he asked, falling back on his military training, instinctively looking to the senior officer.

snip

Tiger Sora:
snip

Bravo 21:
snip

snip

Tiger Sora:
snip

James was frozen in fear. All his life he had had an irrational fear of large insects, and the swarm of creatures that where currently attacking them where far to close to that description for comfort. He knew he had to move, but all he could see or think about where how the creatures had too many legs and eyes, how they walking in that disgusting way, how their side-ways jaws opened and closed in anticipation for their next meal, all contained in that gross, black exoskeleton. And through in all, the snapping of their claws and the shuffling of their steps filled his ears.

James likely would have remained in this trace of horror if he hadn't heard his companions shouts. "WE NEED TO MOVE!" he heard Mae scream, and James was once more in control of his body. Of course, this didn't mean he was over his fear. "GET AWAY FROM ME!" he roared as he turned his gun to full auto and opened fire on the swarm. The weapon blasted many apart, but still more came. Hyper-ventilating and eyes wide with fear, James dropped the empty gun and ran in the opposite direction, sprinting strait past the Durras in a mad dash for safety.

TheBlueShotgun0:

Bravo 21:
snip

Snip

"I I uhh". Thor was entirely hesitant. He was used to being outnumbered but that was when he was in a space ship. Now he was out in the open. The others were fighting to keep the creatures back. One of the creatures cut a Durras soldier in two, the body was swarmed over and taken away. Thor took notice as the event happened. 'They're after food'.

"Everyone cover me I have an idea"! Thor tossed his pack to the sand. His wrist blade popped out and he began stabbing the pack repeatedly.

TheBlueShotgun0:
snip

Bravo 21:
snip

snip

Tiger Sora:
snip

A few of the Durras had actually made it across the dune bridge. They started to work on the door. The seal was pretty heavy duty; then again it really needed to be if it was to stand up to the sea.
The commander gave thor a look (well the equivalent for her species).
"Well we're no less dead if we don't. Men give him cover." A few of the Durras did as asked.

JoJo:

Snip

Soviet Heavy:
snip

"We'd appreciate the help. If you don't mind me asking why aren't you with Durras? Also do any of you have military experience? If so you might be able to help. Also when we get back I'll be conducting a few interviews, the more information you can provide the better everyone's chances."

avouleance2nd:
Snip

Tom moved forward. He was worried by Lime's conversation with Lisa regarding the submersion. "Wait a minute, we're under this dome right? Isn't it supposed to keep the water out?"

Ruth spoke. "Not exactly. If we kept the entire dome pressurized, it would shatter under the weight when we move into the submersion cycle. The lower sections of the dome flood out to equalize the pressure to a point where we can survive. We usually move up to the higher sections of the dome, but with all these sick and injured, we couldn't move any further."

"Oh, great." said Tom sarcastically. "Just great. Why is none of this on the dossier before we go on the mission, Lime?"

Soviet Heavy:
snip

avouleance2nd:
snip

Ruth gave Lime another quizzical look at hisandher mention of the Durras.

"Why are we not with them? Why don't you ask them that, they're the ones who started fighting amongst themselves, ungrateful if you ask me after the SU sent us here to assist with the new colony," she said indignantly and folded her arms disapproving "And no we aren't military, I'm an agricultural expert. Abdul here..." she paused, pointing down at the unconscious old man "is a business consultant and young Najeed is training to be a doctor."

The teen nodded, still looking numbed by his father's injuries "Let's head back now" he said slowly, "the Sea of the Sky is unpredictable at times. We can't afford to be caught by it."

"Of course," Ruth replied briskly "let's go." Once Lime had replied to Tom's sarcastic comment, the group set off through the domes, Brian helping Najeed carry his father and Til keeping a watchful eye at the rear for any threats from the Durras or the local wildlife. Whilst they were walking Ruth sidled up to Tom, eyeing the diplomat with a half-smile.

"Sorry but you haven't mentioned your name yet have you? What do you do for the team?" she asked casually.

avouleance2nd:
Snip

JoJo:
Snip

"Technically, I don't fill any actual role." said Tom sheepishly. "I was the Colonial Envoy, so I represent the Three Sectors on our ship. Most of the time, I'm supposed to be working relations between new species requesting applications for joining the Union, but right now, I just fill whatever role the Captain gives me."

Ruth looked slightly confused, but she rebounded quickly. "So, you're just an everyman? How did you know that using your sealant would fix Nejra's arm? That doesn't seem normal."

Tom shrugged. "Every now and then, I get a flash of intuition. Can't really explain it any other way."

The group made their way to the warehouse. Inside, the team discovered the rest of the refugees. Most of them were young and old, with few adults. The Crelm sat apart from the humans. Ruth clapped her hands to get their attention.

"Everyone, we've got an escort! Those damn Durras don't want to help us, but the Union does. Every able bodied adult should carry those who can't make it on their own. Hurry, the tide is coming in quick today! We've only got about an hour before the lower dome is submerged!

The Crelm gathered up two people at a time, their grasping arms easily lifting the humans. Tom was impressed at the speed with which the people got to work gathering themselves up. "You a community leader?" he asked Ruth.

"More or less. Here, help me move Hanni. She's too old to move on her own."

Behind them, Til Wing noticed something brushing against her leg. Looking down, she noticed a steadily growing stream of water passing around her. Small creatures began nibbling at her hard skin, before breaking off in search of softer targets. Bigger ones soon followed, long white tubular creatures with sharp fang filled maws. So that was a Skrillex, she thought. But they usually swarmed, according to Diran....

"Erm, if I may say so, we should begin our ascent as soon as we can." said Til hesitantly. Her soft voice carried in the warehouse, drawing everyone's attention to the oncoming water. Ruth paled even further when she saw the Skrillex being pushed along by the flow.

"Move, move!" she shouted. Ruth turned to a pair of Crelm, carrying children. "Teal, Cyan, take the young and get up top as fast as you can. Brian, you and Til give them cover. Tom, Lime, with me. Everyone else make for the upper dome!"

Thor poured half his canteen into his pack, now filled with dehydrated foods and powdered foods. All the rations maybe going to the beasts, but better it than them.
The pack was hurled out into the throngs of foes. The foodstuff spilled out the scents attracting a large sum the beasts. "How we coming on the door"?

Tiger Sora:
snip

Bravo 21:
snip

snip

James had, at least somewhat, regained his sense since his freak out. He peered over the rock he had been cowering behind to see the swarm of creatures where attacking Thor's bag. He then heard Thor's question, and began wondering the same thing. He looked behind him at the Durras working on the door. They seemed confused; James guessed they hadn't bothered to bring any engineers or tech specialists along. He knew that the creatures would only be occupied by the bag for so long. Pushing his still present fear aside, James got up and approached the door. "Excuse me." he said to the Durras, but he got no response. "Hey, I know how to open it." Still no response. Goddammit. "Get out of the way!" he shouted as he pushed the Durras away. They saying something but James didn't care; he just wanted to get away from the predators.

The door was SU tech, that much was clear. James recognized it as the same kind that the SU used on its submarines, just much stronger to resist the increased pressure. Normally they where hooked up to a computer that would open them on command. James had no reason to believe this one was any different, but he should be able to operate the motors that opened the door with his wireless interface. James opened the pouch on his belt and withdrew the device. "I just need a second" he shouted back to Thor.

TheBlueShotgun0:
Snip

Tiger Sora:
snip

Bravo 21:
snip

snip

The Door wasn't responding much to persuasion. James was making some improvements (well if you were being optimistic about it). Suddenly a voice came from the other side of the door, another durra I think.
"Who's there? Are you sane?"
"What? Of course we are! Now let us in." One of the Durras outside responded sounding fairly stressed which was of course the smart thing to be.
There was creaking and clanking and the door opened.
Getting everyone in wasn't easy, if it wasn't for everyone's combat and numerous distractions I'd doubt anyone would have made it.
Even so the Knight almost didn't. She came through last; the green pungent liquid spilling from her wasn't good news.
Inside the facility was dark, the generators hadn't the power to keep things bright, and then again it didn't bother the durras. The facility looks like it's been through hell; I'd be worried if I was you when it comes to the water shed.
Inside there were a few durras, wearing robes, unarmed and undersupplied they'd need quite a bit of support.
One of the robed durras went to help the Knight.
"You aren't only durras? Who are the others with?"

Soviet Heavy:
snip

avouleance2nd:
snip

The refugees pattered out of the domed area, Til and Brian following them and helping those who couldn't move themselves. Ruth moved closer to Lime and Tom, speaking in a low voice.

"Well those are the healthy half of us. You better put on these before we see the sick ones, whatever it is it's highly infectious. That we've learned from bitter experience."

She handed two Diplomatic Corps a pair of white breathing masks, one human-sized, the other crelm. As they were checking the masks for size, Najeed reappeared by Ruth's shoulder.

"Wait, can I come too?" he asked pleadingly "my mum and little sis are down there."

Ruth sighed "What about your father? Doesn't he need you now?"

"That Brian guy's already taken him, anyway it's not like he'll know until he wakes up. I promised Ayesha I'd bring her some more sweets from the warehouse. She needs something to keep her going until the ship comes!"

Ruth looked like she was about to say something but instead swallowed and turned back to Tom and Lime with an exasperated glance.

"What do you think? I suppose there won't be much danger if he comes and wears a mask too."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked