Your Blood In My Veins: A Post Modern Vampire RP

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

"Jack I don't know what else I can say; that's the third one dead in less than a week. The Blood district isn't usually targeted like this; you need to move somewhere in this case before it leaks to the public. If they hear reports that there's tainted blood on the market, we could see an increase in attacks on the street; we have enough Beast related attacks already with the lack of Husks on the market."

"Look Boss, we're investigating as fast as we can. We have the Dogs sniffing leads and the cops banging on doors near the Blood and the Marked districts. We have seven hundred thousand vampires living in those districts alone though, we need more people on the case."

"I don't want to call out the National Guard quite yet; I want to keep this as quiet and in house as possible; do you want another blood riot on our hands, we barely contained them last time and it brought vamp-human tensions to a new high since the First Reveal ten years ago. No, you'll do what you can with the force you have now. You get this under control or I'll find myself someone who can..."
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to New York City 2030. It's been a hell of a decade since the Nightwalkers revealed themselves to the world. Their little act was over when the EU released the biological information of a captured inmate incarcerated for cabbibalistic tendencies. After biting another inmate in an altercation, he was moved into solitary confinement. When he was examined, it was determined that a lack of stomach, a body temperature lower than the standard by several degrees and mutated teeth, this was a new species; it was decided that the risk of panic did not outweigh the need for investigation.

It didn't take long for the "Elders" to reveal themselves after that. They weren't powerful men in upper Echelons of society; instead they were special security agents, intelligent ops and other such skills that allowed them to conceal themselves. Secrecy works better with fewer numbers though and the vampire numbers had increased steadily since the turn of the 20th century. After the initial losses at WWII the Baby Boomer generation alone doubled the vampire populations.

The Blood riots soon began after the initial reveal of the vampires. The vampire more in tune with the Beast felt that now since the cover was blown, they could feast at will and chose in indulge in such things until the Army was called in to stop them. The Riot Days, as they are called in the United States, are remembered by both sides and continue to fuel tensions between the two species to this day.

This RP is a mesh up of old vampire tropes, new vampire ideas and some of my own polish to stick it all together. The RP takes place during the Tainted Blood Scare of 2030 after the death of the third vampire in under a week. You all live somewhere around in or the various vampire only districts in the Eastern wing of New York City. You are one of three types of characters: The Vampire, the Human or the Husk. Vampires have supernatural strength and are generally physically attractive, a trait bred into vampires in order to easily stalk prey. They have weaknesses to UV light, garlic and silver, all of which are extremely lethal to a vampire. They are known to have smooth tongues and intelligence bred over an extended lifetime. The average age of a vampire who dies is around one hundred fifty to two hundred years.

Humans require no explanation; they come in different shapes and sizes and have all kinds of various skills to them. A variant of the human though, is the husk, a blood bank for a single vampire. If a vampire is wealthy enough, they generally hire on a human as a Husk. Becoming a husk is easy enough; drink some of the vampire's blood and continue to feed the vampire from then on out. Husks are given a small increase in age and strength showcasing some of the vamperic benefits. They also become allergic to garlic and weaker in sunlight, however neither are lethal. Husks are susceptible to human deaths.

The Sheet format follows as such:

Name:

Sex:

Species:

Profession:

Appearance:

Personality:

Bio:

Right now this is an interest thread, any questions should be PM'd to me or posted on the thread. Sheets can also be placed here; if enough good sheets come up, the RP process can begin.

Some questions here -
How would one become a Husk? You described how it became one from being a human but how it turned into a husk in the first place? What, they bought the person like a slave? I don't understand that.
Where would Vampires get blood? Do they kill people for it? Is there a company, product - something that distributes blood? Can they also drink non-human blood? How would one become a vampire?
Any global changes in the past decade? Did ghettos of vampires appear in large cities? Are they hated like Jew in Medieval Europe? Persecuted?

Definitely interested, been looking for an RP like this that I can definitely indulge myself in.
Do Husks have any differences in appearance? Or is it only in physical ability and role that they change?
Can a husk rebel from the vampire who bought it, or does it have to remain loyal?
Also, are the vampires who buy husks actual roleplayers or NPCs?

EDIT:
When exactly where the Blood Riots?
Who are the Elders? Is an elder any vampire, or a vampire leader?

I would like to register my interest, specifically as a Husk. Perhaps one of the Vampire players would like to employ me?

Question: Can you be a Vampire Hunter? Going after the Beast? (I'm guessing those are the Bad Vampires)

Working on a Vampire character sheet. Are there any specific naming conventions used for any of the three species, or do they share the usual names we see in modern society?

Ack. Double post. Ignore this one, please.

TheIronRuler:
Some questions here -
How would one become a Husk? You described how it became one from being a human but how it turned into a husk in the first place? What, they bought the person like a slave? I don't understand that.
Where would Vampires get blood? Do they kill people for it? Is there a company, product - something that distributes blood? Can they also drink non-human blood? How would one become a vampire?
Any global changes in the past decade? Did ghettos of vampires appear in large cities? Are they hated like Jew in Medieval Europe? Persecuted?

Becoming a husk is easy enough; drink some of the vampire's blood and continue to feed the vampire from then on out. Literally what the bold says, you drink vamp blood, you mutate into a husk, you become addicted to vampire blood, its a drug to you. Thats why the husk vampire relationship is so important, its symbiotic. As for becoming a vampire; there is no becoming a vampire; you're either born one or nothing. Vampires are hunters by nature, they can kill for blood but that draws attention, usually buying it from a blood bank, having a husk or seeking 'donations' from people are how they sustain themselves. Only a vampire under the influence of "The Beast" will kill victims.

Vampires, on whole have been relatively well accepted because they were already there. Businessmen, retail workers, hell your next door neighbour could be a vampire. There are those who don't like vampires but its no different than say the extreme groups like the KKK, they're stuck in a different time. There are mostly vampire districts in cities but they aren't quarantined.

Note: the rest of the poster's questions will be answered and edited in once I'm home from work

I'm definitely interested in this RP. I should have a sheet up sometime tomorrow. I have the same question as Diablo, can human characters be hunters?

I'd like to put forth my interest as well. Not sure what I'd like to play as, but I'll figure that out ASAP

SextusMaximus:
Definitely interested, been looking for an RP like this that I can definitely indulge myself in.
Do Husks have any differences in appearance? Or is it only in physical ability and role that they change?
Can a husk rebel from the vampire who bought it, or does it have to remain loyal?
Also, are the vampires who buy husks actual roleplayers or NPCs?

EDIT:
When exactly where the Blood Riots?
Who are the Elders? Is an elder any vampire, or a vampire leader?

They remain relatively the same as they were human. They do gain a bit of muscle build, toning up a considerable amount.

The only loyalty a husk has is to a vampire that provides. Husk doesn't get his fix, he'll go elsewhere.

You can roleplay as a husk owner, be prepared to write for two characters

Blood riots have happened more than once in more than one city. Last one in New York was two years ago.

Elders are similar to the Native American chiefs of old, self elected with mostly ceremonial power at this point.

axle 19:
I'm definitely interested in this RP. I should have a sheet up sometime tomorrow. I have the same question as Diablo, can human characters be hunters?

Diablo1099:
Question: Can you be a Vampire Hunter? Going after the Beast? (I'm guessing those are the Bad Vampires)

I'm hesitant to add hunters by sheer virtue that they're criminals and murderers by the laws definition.

This looks interesting, I like the meshing of ideas. But I have some questions as well. They are as follows:

* About the vampires. Do they have two fangs, four fangs or complete set of sharp teeth? Retractable or permanently altered?

* Are there such things as halfings/dhampir/hybrids/whatever term you'd like for half-vampire half-human beings?

* Do vampires get any unique or otherwise 'special' eye color? Red, yellow, black, what have you?

* What is 'extremely lethal' translated into? Two seconds in the sun and you're a pile of ash or you just catch fire and you have to get out of the sun -quickly-?

* How long would it take a vampire deprived of blood, in any way, to die?

* Can humans be forcibly converted into Husks?

* Can Husks be relocated from one vampire to another or do they have to stick with the original one that transformed them? [edit: Nevermind!]

RBMidknight:
This looks interesting, I like the meshing of ideas. But I have some questions as well. They are as follows:

* About the vampires. Do they have two fangs, four fangs or complete set of sharp teeth? Retractable or permanently altered?

* Are there such things as halfings/dhampir/hybrids/whatever term you'd like for half-vampire half-human beings?

* Do vampires get any unique or otherwise 'special' eye color? Red, yellow, black, what have you?

* What is 'extremely lethal' translated into? Two seconds in the sun and you're a pile of ash or you just catch fire and you have to get out of the sun -quickly-?

* How long would it take a vampire deprived of blood, in any way, to die?

* Can humans be forcibly converted into Husks?

Enlarged canines, so two on top, two on the bottom.

The biological properties of vampires are as such: Vamperism is a dominate trait; thus its a all or nothing biological property, though obviously rare at the same time. However if two heterozygous vampire have a child with two recessive traits, they will be born human.

Special eye colours can happen but the more common eye colours for humans do apply to vampires

Extremely lethal is just that, you either get out immediately or you die. Garlic is more of an allergic reaction though and can be avoided with an epe pen

One could be forced to become a husk if they were forced to drink vamp blood against their will.

Lost In The Void:
[quote="SextusMaximus" post="540.336736.13599372"]Snippity Diggity

That narrows it down. I'll probably end up creating a vampire then. How many characters are you looking for?

axle 19:

Lost In The Void:
[quote="SextusMaximus" post="540.336736.13599372"]Snippity Diggity

That narrows it down. I'll probably end up creating a vampire then. How many characters are you looking for?

As long as quality sheets come in, I'll keep taking them

What's the technology like? That'll probably make it or break it for me.
Are there low class vampires? Poor down on their luck vampires?

Revnak:

Its been less than 20 years, this won't be space age tech, mostly just a small technological upgrade. As for down on their luck vampires; well there are down on their luck humans, why would vamps be any different?

Lost In The Void:

Revnak:

Its been less than 20 years, this won't be space age tech, mostly just a small technological upgrade. As for down on their luck vampires; well there are down on their luck humans, why would vamps be any different?

You said that the vampires were in the intelligence community, CIA and the like, or in private contractors, trying to stay hidden.

i can haz husk? 83

dammit what i do haz is work tomorrow. maybe ill get a sheet up by the end of the week... not sure if i can get it in sooner :P as a husk would i have to RP my "owner" as well? or just sort of refer to them vaguely from time to time.

@Lost: Thanks. Questions round two :)

* Can Husks 'kick' their vampire blood addiction? Or is it permanent?

* When vampires feed on Husks is there a difference between doing the actually biting/drinking/draining routine themselves versus say having a stocked blood bank and heating up blood in a novelty mug? Does it -have- to be Husk/Human blood? What happens if it's not?

* Vampires don't have a stomach at all? Or it's just not like a human stomach and does something else?

* Are Husks referred to as Humans or Husks or both after the point they are transformed?

* Does getting bit by a vampire (provided they're not gnawing on a human like a rawhide bone) typically hurt the bitee or is there a countermeasure of some type?

TheIronRuler:

Lost In The Void:

Revnak:

You said that the vampires were in the intelligence community, CIA and the like, or in private contractors, trying to stay hidden.

I said Elders were; not every vamp would get into that kind of business with there being millions in the world; however the Elders have been about covering that up, hence the intelligence positions.

SkyeNeko:
i can haz husk? 83

dammit what i do haz is work tomorrow. maybe ill get a sheet up by the end of the week... not sure if i can get it in sooner :P as a husk would i have to RP my "owner" as well? or just sort of refer to them vaguely from time to time.

Write a character and we'll see....XD

RBMidknight:
@Lost: Thanks. Questions round two :)

* Can Husks 'kick' their vampire blood addiction? Or is it permanent?

* When vampires feed on Husks is there a difference between doing the actually biting/drinking/draining routine themselves versus say having a stocked blood bank and heating up blood in a novelty mug? Does it -have- to be Husk/Human blood? What happens if it's not?

* Vampires don't have a stomach at all? Or it's just not like a human stomach and does something else?

* Are Husks referred to as Humans or Husks or both after the point they are transformed?

* Does getting bit by a vampire (provided they're not gnawing on a human like a rawhide bone) typically hurt the bitee or is there a countermeasure of some type?

Its a little delicate instead of the rush and tearing of a muderous feed and not as deep as a draining feed. Its like having a nice simple meal instead of a stuffing meal. Human blood is generally the best type of blood due to its similarities to the vampire's. You'd need to have blood thinning agents to keep blood from coagulating and so its a little more difficult to keep in a drinkable state.

The stomach is like a processing unit, it converts blood into vamperic blood injecting the various hormones and enzymes into the blood to change it.

Husks is more of a vamperic slur for the technical term Humans Utilized for Blood Trafficking. They're biologically human, but enhanced and so they are generally distinguished from vanilla humans.

Being bit hurts if the vampire is being rash and quick about it, usually either biting extremely deep to rush the blood transfer, or ripping to kill the victim to avoid struggles. The more subtle vampire will bite delicately, injecting a paralyzing and numbing agent that lessens the sensation of being bit.

"Today we continue our study of basic genetics by looking at alleles. Who can give me an example of an allele? Suzie?"

"Sir, its the traits passed on through mating, such as eye colour, hair colour, height and all things like that."

"Simply put that is true, now something interesting about alleles is that they are not all created equal. Rather we have our basic two types that we'll be studying today. There are dominate and recessive traits. Now, as the name suggests this means that one trait takes precedent over the other if the two meet each other. An example of this would be vamperism. While it is indeed a rare genetic trait, it is the dominate one. This means that if a pure human and a pure vampire mate, every child birthed will be vampire."

"But sir, if that's the case, then why aren't there more bloodsuckers than humans?"

"Jason you use that slur in my classroom again and you won't be back here again." However, Mr. Mathews does raise a good point, if the trait is dominate, then why aren't there more vampires than humans? Quite simple, vampires only have one set of ova. What does this mean? It means that, at most the mother can hope to have one child, if she is a vampire. We also have to account for human children from heterozygous vampire parents, two recessive genes after all will cause the child to be human. Basically, we're more equipped to reproduce quicker. One can wonder why nature did this in your sociology and philosophy classes though..."

@Lost: What are your thoughts on a detective character?

@axel: Private or public because I don't believe a public detective would work well

@science lesson: one set of ova? like... if they miscarry or something, it's over? and they dont have periods? hehe bloodsucker

@Lost: Private is what I was thinking. Either a contractor or a police detective.

@Skye: They get one shot and luckily for them that does indeed mean no shedding of the endometrium for them. It should also be noted that male ability to procreate is also limited to the ages of 20-25 due to a slow degrading of the gonads.

@Axel: Sounds like it would work

@void: "shedding of the endometrium"? fancy.

also, the age limit is hilarious. even if 100 year old femme vamp is smoking hot, im not sure if a 20 year old would marry one. not saying you need to be married to hit that.

So wait, how long does it take for a male vamp's junk to completely deteriorate? Having an extended lifespan and not being able to have sex during the majority of it would suck

I'm reading this and I'm thinking to myself - What stops a Husk from running around, living his life to the fullest and becoming a predator to vampires - Stalking them, subduing them and then drinking their blood? He is better than humans and doesn't rely on Vampires. He is a Vampire of sorts- Of other Vampires.

Well, I'd certainly like to participate in this. Here's my character sheet.

Name: Cabo Setek

Species: Human

Profession: Private Detective

Appearance: Cabo is about 5'8, and muscular for a human. Caucasian, with a hint of Oriental, Vietnamese to be specific. Usually seen wearing a black fedora and a black trench coat. One of his most distinctive features is a scar across his left eye gained from a piece of shrapnel taken during a skirmish during his time as an Army Ranger. He keeps his jet black hair cut short. He has a constant smile on his face, that many find comforting or disconcerting, depending on the person.

Personality: Many of Cabo's friends, family, and clients describe as a pleasant, cheerful person. He likes to help people, and believes that humanity is inherently good. However, he can be deathly serious when the situation demands it, even though he prefers to keep a jovial disposition.

Bio: Born in Manhattan to Elizah and Trung Setek, he was taught the values of living honestly from an early age. As he grew up, he kept true to his parent's philosophy on life, eventually joining up with the Army Rangers at 18. Of course, mum and dad weren't particularly thrilled about this decision. There were several weeks of high tension in the Setek household when Cabo had announced that decision.

Eventually though, they came to terms with it, even if they weren't happy with the idea. In Basic Training, Cabo proved himself to be a capable soldier, even being offered a leadership position. However, he turned it down; "I'm not leader material" he said. Cabo stayed with the 214th Ranger Division for almost a decade, completing two tours of duty.

After being discharged from active duty, Cabo went back to Manhattan, finding a place on the Upper East Side. He immediately joined the Manhattan PD, patrolling the streets and trying to keep them safe.

When the Blood Riots broke out, he and many others were sent out to keep the peace. It was several weeks of violence, pain, and sleepless nights. Cabo saw everything from crucified vampires, to burning buildings, and more than a few close encounters with Beasts. It wasn't until after the Riots that Cabo received news that shattered his world. His parents had been killed in the Riots, burned down by a vampire decided to take vengeance on a group of humans who had killed his wife by throwing a several molotovs through the windows.

He was enraged more than depressed and took it out on innocent vampires, mercilessly beating them till they ended up in the hospital. After realizing what he had done, he quit the force. He later took up residence in the Blood District, working as a Private Detective, in an attempt to help the people who needed it. He's become good friends with several vampires, and occasionally donates blood to the local blood bank. And he's even wooing a lovely vampiress, though she seems more amused than interested.

Hopefully, you like my sheet, because I really like the idea, and would love to participate.

TheIronRuler:
I'm reading this and I'm thinking to myself - What stops a Husk from running around, living his life to the fullest and becoming a predator to vampires - Stalking them, subduing them and then drinking their blood? He is better than humans and doesn't rely on Vampires. He is a Vampire of sorts- Of other Vampires.

Dammit, I thought I was the only person to think of that =(
Ah well...

Lost In The Void:
Snip

Ok, bear in mind, If you want him to join up with rest of the cast, just say that you can bring him the one who killed his family.
Any Issues, Buzz me.

TheIronRuler:

Same reason a Gazelle doesn't attack a lion except when desperate; the latter is much more equipped to survive in a pitched battle. A husk might be able to subdue a couple vampires but in the end, he's bound to die because a vampire is generally the better hunter by nature.

Lost In The Void:

TheIronRuler:

Same reason a Gazelle doesn't attack a lion except when desperate; the latter is much more equipped to survive in a pitched battle. A husk might be able to subdue a couple vampires but in the end, he's bound to die because a vampire is generally the better hunter by nature.

that's a bit morbid. about the structure of this rp? will the quality characters you receive band together to fight a common threat? will they be on different sides, piecing together a puzzle larger than they are? will this be a team deathmatch roleplay with vampires? while the setting you've described has piqued my interest, if you could piece together more of a premise you would get a better character from me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here