In our image (New Rp Concept looking for interest )

You can submit as many realms and characters as you want but you'll only have complete control over at most one of each the others will become community characters giving everyone personal controle.
Coming soon...
Answers to questions
Realm sheet.
Sample sheets.

So
What does everyone think? I'd love to have feedback and be more than willing to answer your questions.

Didn't you already try to have that same RP and failed because nobody understood what the hell was happening?
Just a warning, I think it's a bad idea.

TheIronRuler:
Didn't you already try to have that same RP and failed because nobody understood what the hell was happening?

Yes which is why I waited until I had two different RP-ing groups on side to try and gather interest, also I've decided to move away from the more gamy trappings in the original, it detracted from the purity of the experience.
Anyway I'll be trying to better explain things.
If there are things you're not sure on I'd appreciate you asking them it should help refine things.

avouleance2nd:

TheIronRuler:

Yes which is why I waited until I had two different RP-ing groups on side to try and gather interest, also I've decided to move away from the more gamy trappings in the original, it detracted from the purity of the experience.
Anyway I'll be trying to better explain things.
If there are things you're not sure on I'd appreciate you asking them it should help refine things.

There is no plot, there is no established lore or world, therefore it will all go to shit the moment someone decides he has the power. And everybody is supposed to have the power.
I'm sorry to say this but having such an RP with no structure is insane. The GM creates the original text and guides the players but here you want the players to paint on a white canvas without realizing what is their aim.

TheIronRuler:

Snip

I can see your concern. As this gather's Interest I'll work on filling in a few of the other realms give some common locations and characters (it's late so I won't be able to expand on much tonight). As for your concerns about people being over-powered there a reason for the submission process it should help both find people with balanced characters. As for being overpowered player's powers will be limited outside their realm and the usual rules about not player killing will apply.

I'd disagree with your pessimistic view of what players will do given freedom, I've seen a lot of really impressive creative endeavours here, the idea of creating and exploring a world (not to mention filling it with characters) has a lot of appeal. I'm sure that with the right people we could have something great on our hands. I'll have a character to help direct things and the goals part of the sheet is there to give everyone direction. I just think people will be able to invest more in a narrative that emerges from their characters and mine than one that they really don't have much control in the end.

Anyway if I didn't try and fail I wouldn't learn.

Love the idea. If you still have my old "the Artist" sheet, I'll be using him.

willofbob:
Love the idea. If you still have my old "the Artist" sheet, I'll be using him.

Unfortunately I don't still have the sheet. However the sheets are differently formatted now so should probably rewrite it anyway so it fits with the format. Sorry for the inconvenience.

TheIronRuler:

There is no plot, there is no established lore or world, therefore it will all go to shit the moment someone decides he has the power. And everybody is supposed to have the power.
I'm sorry to say this but having such an RP with no structure is insane. The GM creates the original text and guides the players but here you want the players to paint on a white canvas without realizing what is their aim.

^this. I really want to join this, but there's really nothing to join here. You need someone to act as a leader, and give shape and form to this 'adventure' and drive some sort of interesting plot. Otherwise it will just flop, like apparently it already did previously.

Some_weirdGuy:

TheIronRuler:

Snip

[quote="TheIronRuler" post="540.344739.13817065"]
Snip

Ok you asked and I'll oblige.
I'll have a few characters to help move things along and there are quite a few concepts it would be interesting to explore. It would still help if you could produce sheets; I want to integrate the player's motivation into the main plot the goals section could really help.
I'll be talking with people to help develop my ideas.
What I might try is talking with each of the applicants and working out a personal plot for everyone which will be kept separate from the other.

I kind of like the idea, the "We are our avatars" RP is doing something similar, and it's coming along quite well. However, things only really started to pick up once we banded together and began crafting a plot for ourselves, with one of us to act as a definitive antagonist. I don't see why this couldn't work, but it will require some basic structure to get it going.

Arrogancy:

Snip

I appreciate the optimism so thanks.
I can see the need to start with everyone in the same place which shouldn't be too hard to pull off.
As for having one person designated as antagonist, I like the idea of having players be naturally against each other, I don't think I'd just pick a villain but hopefully if the goals system works out players will natural oppose each other in some places and band together in others.
If there isn't an obvious antagonist I'd be willing to fill that role in myself just to help get things along.
Don't get me wrong it's not like I intend to have no input I can easily provide story threads and characters, I just don't want to force people along a single plot line if others start coming up.

Also would you consider joining/ submitting a sheet?

avouleance2nd:

Arrogancy:

Snip

I appreciate the optimism so thanks.
I can see the need to start with everyone in the same place which shouldn't be too hard to pull off.
As for having one person designated as antagonist, I like the idea of having players be naturally against each other, I don't think I'd just pick a villain but hopefully if the goals system works out players will natural oppose each other in some places and band together in others.
If there isn't an obvious antagonist I'd be willing to fill that role in myself just to help get things along.
Don't get me wrong it's not like I intend to have no input I can easily provide story threads and characters, I just don't want to force people along a single plot line if others start coming up.

Also would you consider joining/ submitting a sheet?

Sure. Perhaps later today. I'm a bit busy right now though.

I'll join. I can see possible issues with getting a plot going and stuff, but eh. I'll join anyway, willing to give it a chance and see if it's any fun. May as well, nothing to lose after all! How/ where do I submit?

snappydog:
I'll join. I can see possible issues with getting a plot going and stuff, but eh. I'll join anyway, willing to give it a chance and see if it's any fun. May as well, nothing to lose after all! How/ where do I submit?

You fill out a character sheet and if you're planning on submitting a realm a basic description of it (at least until I actually have a solid realm sheet up). You can make submissions in this thread and you can submit multiple characters and realms but only one of each will be entirely in your controlee (you can pick which).
Thanks for the interest.

Title: Professor

Previous Life: Clarence Williams was a Harvard professor of history and literature. For the most part he was a quite intelligent, if rather boring, man. He lived a fairly solitary and orderly life. When reality came to a halt some people survived, many people died, and a few weren't so lucky. With the breakdown of reality, some people couldn't comprehend what was going on, like Professor Williams. His mind broke with the rest of existence.

Current Form: Professor Williams's form is that of himself, when he was a college student. He is tall with jet black hair, and iron grey eyes. He wears a tweed jacket and wire rim glasses.

Powers: The Professor is a worldmaker. He currently resides in Enigma, a vast library, much like the ones in which he spent much of his youth. It reflects the mind of the madman who created it, altering and changing according to his insanity.

Possessions: From his old life, the Professor has an engraved pocket watch from his colleagues. The watch allows him to affect the flow of time in a given area.

Personality: Despite his bland and orderly appearance, the Professor's mind is broken. He has become erratic and unpredictable. He is very dangerous. He is still quite intelligent, however, and spends much time with his books, but he abhors people and will deal with them, usually in a violent manner.

Weaknesses: The watch has limitations of area and speed. It expends much more power of affect a larger area, or affect time in an area in a significant manner.

Goals: Something's missing. The Professor is certain that he has lost something, but can't remember what. It's frustrating, and he needs to find it.

Arrogancy:
Title: Professor

Previous Life: Clarence Williams was a Harvard professor of history and literature. For the most part he was a quite intelligent, if rather boring, man. He lived a fairly solitary and orderly life. When reality came to a halt some people survived, many people died, and a few weren't so lucky. With the breakdown of reality, some people couldn't comprehend what was going on, like Professor Williams. His mind broke with the rest of existence.

Current Form: Professor Williams's form is that of himself, when he was a college student. He is tall with jet black hair, and iron grey eyes. He wears a tweed jacket and wire rim glasses.

Powers: The Professor is a worldmaker. He currently resides in Enigma, a vast library, much like the ones in which he spent much of his youth. It reflects the mind of the madman who created it, altering and changing according to his insanity.

Possessions: From his old life, the Professor has an engraved pocket watch from his colleagues. The watch allows him to affect the flow of time in a given area.

Personality: Despite his bland and orderly appearance, the Professor's mind is broken. He has become erratic and unpredictable. He is very dangerous. He is still quite intelligent, however, and spends much time with his books, but he abhors people and will deal with them, usually in a violent manner.

Weaknesses: The watch has limitations of area and speed. It expends much more power of affect a larger area, or affect time in an area in a significant manner.

Goals: Something's missing. The Professor is certain that he has lost something, but can't remember what. It's frustrating, and he needs to find it.

I like it so far but there's room for expansion. I'd recommend at least a paragraph or two for each section. The more could can write the greater your chances of getting in after all.
Expect more feedback when I'm not very tired.

avouleance2nd:
Ok you asked and I'll oblige.
I'll have a few characters to help move things along and there are quite a few concepts it would be interesting to explore. It would still help if you could produce sheets; I want to integrate the player's motivation into the main plot the goals section could really help.
I'll be talking with people to help develop my ideas.
What I might try is talking with each of the applicants and working out a personal plot for everyone which will be kept separate from the other.

Thats just it though, having everything separate and freeform gets boring. I've RPed in a few different RPG's before(proper ones, set up in their own forum or sub-forums, not these flimsy single thread affairs :P)
and freeform never tends to work well, because the whole key to a forum RPG is interaction with everyone else. Otherwise, like I said before, you might as well open up a notepad document and just start typing away.

Everyone gets absorbed in their own little stories, and most people don't even bother reading what others have wrote because it has nothing to do with their own character(which is completely understandable), and things tend to stagnate.

A group RPG however, with someone acting as leader and everyone tied together as a group with a proper plot(if the leader plans it out properly) works much better.
Everyone can have their own personal character development and goals, yet you have the close interaction between members characters and the driving force of the leader to push the plot onward(which people can then use as a springboard for their own personal character developments).

I'm still keeping my eye on this though, and trying to come up with a good character(right now i have some ideas but I don't have enough for commiting to a full character i don't think). Your idea kinda reminds me of Serial Experiments Lain, which is cool. I just hope you get to hammer this out more cause it sounds like you don't actually have a proper plot planned out right now(which is pretty important to have planned if you want this to actually go anywhere).

Is it conceivable that someone with a split personality would change form?

Just tossing round some ideas in my head.

Burning Bard:
Is it conceivable that someone with a split personality would change form?

Just tossing round some ideas in my head.

It's that or split into multiple separate entities.

For example the crowd had been scattering selves for years now.
In other words if it's interesting and balanced it'll have my blessing.

Giving this more thought, I'd have to say that probably the most limiting factor in this is actually the fact that no one can technically die. It makes all actions virtually repercussion-free. For all intents and purposes everyone in this is a god, and that's only interesting if there are lesser beings around to torment, which there aren't.

Shall keep my eye on it.
All has been said, if you can solidify some plotlines and add consequence for action, I'm in. Working on character sheet at the moment.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here