The Truth Within the Truth: A Fullmetal Alchemist RP (Interest/Signup Thread)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

CJ1145:

Redryhno:
I watched a couple of episodes years ago, found it somewhat interesting, but I just never got around to it, this looks kind of fun, and the other things i'm in seem to be starting to stagnate. I don't know why, but did anyone else see similarities between this series and Fred Saberhagen's Sword books?

I like the idea, but I'm a little concerned. You didn't really describe how, exactly, will he use his alchemy? There should preferably be some sort of plausible explanation, using alchemy circles as described throughout the thread, to create your abilities. I'm also not clear on your "connection" to the stone. A personal affiliation and attempts to emulate it are good, but on the off chance it's a bit on the supernatural side, Fullmetal Alchemist (at least the good anime =P ) never really got into that sort of quasi-spiritual justification.

Well, I thought it was pretty straight-forward, he puts up stone walls, spikes, etc., and charges in to hand-to-hand, using the stone to crush,break, and pummel the guy to death. I guess you could picture him as a tank, I could change the name to Stone Dragon to illustrate that he's going to get to you, doesn't matter what you use to stop him, he'll keep coming. And the stone thing I'm not even completely sure about, he just has some kind of affinity for it. He's looking for answers, and didn't like one or two guys in either the anime or manga feel some kind of connection to their Alchemy? If you want I could change it to him just always being able to play with stone, ie making small inclines over a short distance,imprinting his hand onto granite with a touch, that short of thing. He's not that well educated either, the only formal schooling he can remember having is the Academy, before that he was just a resourceful vagrant used to hard times and climates. So that could be another thing, he just only ever felt safe in stone and so in his mind it's his family, since he has no memory before his eighth year.

CJ1145:

sage42:

Okay here we go, a changed and completed sheet. Again criticisms are welcome. If anything seems wrong I can change it.

Approved. Now unique enough to be unworried by potential conflicts. I hadn't had any major issues with the sheet before, and I don't know.

Awesome, can't wait to start. Speaking of which when is this planned to start?

CJ1145:

CrazyBlaze:

Here is my sheet.

I like it. Looks like potential fun with the alchemy there, and I like the ideas for the character as well. My only gripe is that I originally requested that only soldiers give rank, as the state alchemists were majors by default. But, looking back I kind of worded it poorly, so no real harm done. I'll let it slide.

Don't forget that state alchemists can advance. Roy Mustang went from Colonel, to Brigadier- General to General over the course of series.

Redryhno:

CJ1145:

Redryhno:
I watched a couple of episodes years ago, found it somewhat interesting, but I just never got around to it, this looks kind of fun, and the other things i'm in seem to be starting to stagnate. I don't know why, but did anyone else see similarities between this series and Fred Saberhagen's Sword books?

I like the idea, but I'm a little concerned. You didn't really describe how, exactly, will he use his alchemy? There should preferably be some sort of plausible explanation, using alchemy circles as described throughout the thread, to create your abilities. I'm also not clear on your "connection" to the stone. A personal affiliation and attempts to emulate it are good, but on the off chance it's a bit on the supernatural side, Fullmetal Alchemist (at least the good anime =P ) never really got into that sort of quasi-spiritual justification.

Well, I thought it was pretty straight-forward, he puts up stone walls, spikes, etc., and charges in to hand-to-hand, using the stone to crush,break, and pummel the guy to death. I guess you could picture him as a tank, I could change the name to Stone Dragon to illustrate that he's going to get to you, doesn't matter what you use to stop him, he'll keep coming. And the stone thing I'm not even completely sure about, he just has some kind of affinity for it. He's looking for answers, and didn't like one or two guys in either the anime or manga feel some kind of connection to their Alchemy? If you want I could change it to him just always being able to play with stone, ie making small inclines over a short distance,imprinting his hand onto granite with a touch, that short of thing. He's not that well educated either, the only formal schooling he can remember having is the Academy, before that he was just a resourceful vagrant used to hard times and climates. So that could be another thing, he just only ever felt safe in stone and so in his mind it's his family, since he has no memory before his eighth year.

Well where are the transmutations circles? I think that's what he means. Also well there were characters that were really good with alchemy it was because they were really smart and understood the theory well. They didn't use circles because they attempted a human transmutation that backfired and give them they special ability to do use their bodies as a circle. However, very few people are able to do it. It usually requires a great lose, a lot of knowledge and the sacrifice of the thing most important to them. So there are no real affinities with anything. Someone might really like something like the earth but you can't really feel or communicate with it. Mabye you should watch some more or read the manga or at least look over the wiki.

CrazyBlaze:

Redryhno:

CJ1145:

Well where are the transmutations circles? I think that's what he means. Also well there were characters that were really good with alchemy it was because they were really smart and understood the theory well. They didn't use circles because they attempted a human transmutation that backfired and give them they special ability to do use their bodies as a circle. However, very few people are able to do it. It usually requires a great lose, a lot of knowledge and the sacrifice of the thing most important to them. So there are no real affinities with anything. Someone might really like something like the earth but you can't really feel or communicate with it. Mabye you should watch some more or read the manga or at least look over the wiki.

Oh, If that's what he was asking then it says right in his appearance that they're carved onto quartzite coverings on his hands. If it's how he does it, I thought that every Alchemist in the world had their own form of doing it, and he can control any rock or stone. Tell me if I'm not getting the gist of what you're saying, it's late and I haven't been able to sleep in a day and a half.

I've only ever seen a single episode of the show (they're on an island running from a masked guy and learning about the circle of life). Much of this will be new to me, but I'll try to keep up as much as I can. I browsed the wiki and came up with this.

Inform me if there are any problems, and good luck :b

At the risk of looking unoriginal...

EDITED
Finished biography and changed some powers so as to fit with physics.

did I do good?

Redryhno:

The biggest thing about his alchemy was it kind of sounded like he had some sort of stone armor. I'd just like to know how he accomplishes that. And I may have overreacted to the stone affinity thing a bit, it should be fine. But beyond natural skill at it and his own personal appreciation, I imagine most of the affinity would be in his head.

I guess a good comparison would be Kimblee, and how he was pretty much obsessed with the art of your head a splode. He's good at it, and he loves it to death, but the explosions aren't talking back or anything.

Don't worry about changing anything just yet. My biggest concern is being certain that there's a way that makes sense by the manga's standards of making that stone armor.

CrazyBlaze:
Don't forget that state alchemists can advance. Roy Mustang went from Colonel, to Brigadier- General to General over the course of series.

That's right, and it's the biggest reason I'm not making you change it. I figure the group needs some kind of arbitrary leader anyway.

Asclepion:
I've only ever seen a single episode of the show (they're on an island running from a masked guy and learning about the circle of life). Much of this will be new to me, but I'll try to keep up as much as I can. I browsed the wiki and came up with this.

Man, that looks awesome! It really annoys me, but I can't accept this sheet =(. Chimeras in Fullmetal Alchemist are extremely bestial, monstrous creatures. The only two human chimeras to exist in the manga look far more like beasts than humans, and their speech is extremely stunted and basic. I imagine you wouldn't want to roleplay one of those. I do hope you can come up with another sheet, though, because if this were a setting where that sort of stuff was possible you'd definitely be in.

JokerboyJordan:
At the risk of looking unoriginal...

Looking good! Once you get the bio done, I'm fairly well certain you'll be accepted. And it is kind of similar to another person's alchemy, but if both of you are OK with that I think it might make for a fun little rivalry.

sage42:

CJ1145:

sage42:

Okay here we go, a changed and completed sheet. Again criticisms are welcome. If anything seems wrong I can change it.

Approved. Now unique enough to be unworried by potential conflicts. I hadn't had any major issues with the sheet before, and I don't know.

Awesome, can't wait to start. Speaking of which when is this planned to start?

Probably tonight or tomorrow, assuming everything goes well. I think I'm going to accept a maximum of 8 sheets, but we're already in a sweet spot more or less, so it all comes down to when I get the time to start it up.

nuba km:

did I do good?

Yes, I believe you did. Approved, can't see any real issues.

CJ1145:
[quote="Redryhno" post="540.351542.13945201"]Well, I thought it was pretty straight-forward, he puts up stone walls, spikes, etc., and charges in to hand-to-hand, using the stone to crush,break, and pummel the guy to death. I guess you could picture him as a tank, I could change the name to Stone Dragon to illustrate that he's going to get to you, doesn't matter what you use to stop him, he'll keep coming. And the stone thing I'm not even completely sure about, he just has some kind of affinity for it. He's looking for answers, and didn't like one or two guys in either the anime or manga feel some kind of connection to their Alchemy? If you want I could change it to him just always being able to play with stone, ie making small inclines over a short distance,imprinting his hand onto granite with a touch, that short of thing. He's not that well educated either, the only formal schooling he can remember having is the Academy, before that he was just a resourceful vagrant used to hard times and climates. So that could be another thing, he just only ever felt safe in stone and so in his mind it's his family, since he has no memory before his eighth year.

I'm sorry, I got this show confused with another I was watching, I'm thinking about it being not so much armor as a giant tower shield he pushes ahead of himself. Or just a wall of stone he creates on the field. And I never really expected him to actually have some kind of connection to the stone beyond he's really good with it, but all in his head seems a bit on the other extreme, but who cares? It's not really that important of a thing.

CJ1145:

Asclepion:

Man, that looks awesome! It really annoys me, but I can't accept this sheet =(. Chimeras in Fullmetal Alchemist are extremely bestial, monstrous creatures. The only two human chimeras to exist in the manga look far more like beasts than humans, and their speech is extremely stunted and basic. I imagine you wouldn't want to roleplay one of those. I do hope you can come up with another sheet, though, because if this were a setting where that sort of stuff was possible you'd definitely be in.

What about this guy? http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Bido

Asclepion:

CJ1145:

Asclepion:
-snip-

Yeah, I don't see why there can't be a human chimera, unless the government are trying to keep it underwraps, there were many human like chimera in the manga/anime.
http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Zampano
http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Ulchi
http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Dolcetto
http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Roa
http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Martel

There are another 4 however, that do transform into monstrous forms.

Asclepion:

CJ1145:

Asclepion:

well the problem here is 1, the government is keeping this under wraps and 2, these chimeras were most likely only created after the ishvalne war of extermination, I mean why else would the government want the research notes of the first man who made a human chimera as (spoiler character) could use those notes to make better human chimeras.

Asclepion:

CJ1145:

Asclepion:

I HAD forgotten about Greed's posse, but to my knowledge they were post-Ishval creations. And more importantly, the government did not have access to them.

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT, they did. I was wrong here, but I am learning things I did not realize about the series, so I am happy.

However, be they military creations or not, there is definitely no way that the military would openly field a chimera soldier, so I am still going to have to reject your sheet. Sorry =(

CJ1145:

Asclepion:

CJ1145:

I HAD forgotten about Greed's posse, but to my knowledge they were post-Ishval creations. And more importantly, the government did not have access to them.

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT, they did. I was wrong here, but I am learning things I did not realize about the series, so I am happy.

However, be they military creations or not, there is definitely no way that the military would openly field a chimera soldier, so I am still going to have to reject your sheet. Sorry =(

The researchers who create chimeras aren't trying to make warriors? That isn't the whole point of the program?

I'm confused :V .

If there's no possible way that this character could fit, then I will accept that and think of another one. But I really liked it, and hope that isn't the case.

Asclepion:

CJ1145:

Asclepion:

The researchers who create chimeras aren't trying to make warriors? That isn't the whole point of the program?

If there's no possible way that this character could fit, then I will accept that and think of another one. But I really liked it, and hope that isn't the case.

Well, I believe fusing humans and beasts like that is a pretty serious taboo. So while it's possible that they would be used for some sort of assassin or covert ops, their existence couldn't be allowed to become public knowledge.

Your character could work as some sort of independent assassin, but being part of a unit means her existence would be known and pretty much nobody would be ok with that. In my opinion, at least.

Fragrance of Mtn Dew:

Asclepion:

CJ1145:

Well, I believe fusing humans and beasts like that is a pretty serious taboo. So while it's possible that they would be used for some sort of assassin or covert ops, their existence couldn't be allowed to become public knowledge.

Your character could work as some sort of independent assassin, but being part of a unit means her existence would be known and pretty much nobody would be ok with that. In my opinion, at least.

I'm pretty sure that your human chimera is considered a failure because it contains noticeable animal traits and it is unable to hide it. Also it would not have been sent to the front lines because human chimeras are considered human transmutation so anyone outside a select few in a privileged group would talk about it or know about it. They would not release the failed chimera into the world willingly. Also I think the only successes came at the end of the civil war or after it when the military had a good amount of philosopher stones.

CJ1145:

-snip-

Just a quick question - Am I accepted? Do you have any gripes with my sheet?

Sooooooooo. When are we starting? Also maybe we should make a group to keep in contact and stuff.

TheIronRuler:

CJ1145:

-snip-

Just a quick question - Am I accepted? Do you have any gripes with my sheet?

I have no trouble with your sheet. You are accepted.

CrazyBlaze:
Sooooooooo. When are we starting? Also maybe we should make a group to keep in contact and stuff.

As soon as I write the starting thread, we will start. That comes down to my own personal laziness. And yes, a group sounds like a wonderful idea, and I will do that the same time I start the game proper.

I was thinking for a while, trying to make something as awesome as the last one. I think I've got it.
Here's my second attempt.

:D Again, I await review. Also, it would be a good idea to put everyone's character sheets in one place.

Hey dude, I made some changes, I hope you'll accept this time.

Asclepion:
I was thinking for a while, trying to make something as awesome as the last one. I think I've got it.

:D Again, I await review. Also, it would be a good idea to put everyone's character sheets in one place.

I think you're not going to have much luck with this sheet either, unless you change some aspects.

I think, (in the nicest possible way), that you have a lack of understanding of the source material.

The alchemically bonded armour is okay, but it isn't allowed to be a soul vessel as only recently during the FMA story were the government experimenting with such things.
It's the same situation with your kind of alchemy, not only is it taboo, it also pays no attention to the law of Equivalent Exchange.

Everything else on the sheet is good though :)

I'm very sorry if I come across as nitpicking, I just hate to see inconsistencies with the lore and thought I'd voice my opinion.

But ultimately the decision doesn't lie with me, it lies with the GM.

Asclepion:

Again, a very good character sheet, and one that I think would make an awesome villain. =/

There are a few problems, but this one is definitely more salvageable than the last for the purposes of this RP. First off, what Jokerboy said about is most likely true about the status of soul armor experimentation by the Amestrian government. However, Pol could possibly be a prototype, so that's one thing explained.

The other thing is, him being a soul embedded into armor would have to be a secret, as only the absolutely highest members of the brass were aware of such experiments at the time. So, his armor would have to conceivably hold a human inside instead of some monster. So your appearance might need a few adjustments, since that is very definitely NOT human. Even completely artificial golems were nonexistant, so he kind of sticks out like a war crime-colored thumb.

Finally, his alchemy is more or less impossible, and would require the kind of raw alchemical energy that only a homunculus could access. I guarantee you, he lacks that. However, I think a technique along the lines of electrically-pulsing wires attached to circles on your hands being used to stimulate muscle movement to use corpses as dummies is something that could be done.

I don't mean to sound rude, I'm honestly trying to make your character fit in the lore, because it is definitely a good idea.

Viking Incognito:
Hey dude, I made some changes, I hope you'll accept this time.

Looks good to me, welcome aboard.

I think after Asclepion's sheet is handled, I will start the thread. We have more than enough players now.

JokerboyJordan:

I think, (in the nicest possible way), that you have a lack of understanding of the source material.

You are correct. This is becoming more work than I thought it would be >:V

I wanted to make something more interesting. We have characters that shape rock, water, electricity, etc. That's great. Me, I wanted my own thing- some creative application of alchemy that wouldn't be initially obvious. So, I guess I'll just take it one part at a time.

Here's a question: What do the fights in FMA tend to look like? Say I gave someone some kind of power-sword. You said the setting was like early 20th century, so you have guys running around with gatling guns and model T's.

In real life, World War 1 was the result of technology advancing faster than people themselves. They had automatic firearms, but still had this idea of big formations and imperialist conquest. You had guys lining up against machine guns and getting slaughtered because the tactics were obsolete compared to the weapons. That's why everything eventually devolved into trenches- the armies couldn't advance, so everyone just digs in where they stand.

I read about homonculi who use their bodies as weapons. So... is melee viable in this setting? How do these things work?

Asclepion:

JokerboyJordan:

I wanted to make something more interesting. We have characters that shape rock, water, electricity, etc. That's great. Me, I wanted my own thing- some creative application of alchemy that wouldn't be initially obvious. So, I guess I'll just take it one part at a time.

Here's a question: What do the fights in FMA tend to look like? Say I gave someone some kind of power-sword. You said the setting was like early 20th century, so you have guys running around with gatling guns and model T's.

In real life, World War 1 was the result of technology advancing faster than people themselves. They had automatic firearms, but still had this idea of big formations and imperialist conquest. You had guys lining up against machine guns and getting slaughtered because the tactics were obsolete compared to the weapons. That's why everything eventually devolved into trenches- the armies couldn't advance, so everyone just digs in where they stand.

I read about homonculi who use their bodies as weapons. So... is melee viable in this setting? How do these things work?

From what I've seen of the anime, really the only people that engage in hand to hand are alchemists and homunculi, but soldiers get into it every once in a while, but I could see an electric alchemist or like plasma alchemist running around with a power sword, or a prototype given to a high ranking soldier. But it really all comes down to GM's decision.

Asclepion:

JokerboyJordan:

Yes there are high level weapons, pistols are pretty much the same as what we have today but other weapons like rifles are older maybe late 18th century. There is also robotic limbs but they don't really go much into how those work beyond they connect to the nerve centers. Homunculi are not a viable option because of how they are made. They are the literal embodiments of the seven sins and they all come from one man named Father. Alchemy has a similar concept to energy, with the exception of Father, where you can not make something from nothing. It has to come from an existing source and to make it the alchemist needs to understand the makeup of the orginal object and the makeup of the object they are making. Human transmutation are highly illegal and only a few people know about the experiments the government does. So unless the Alchemist in question is in the know of these things then most State Alchemists would not know about. Bringing back people who are dead, human chimera and creating new bodies are all examples of human transmutation. Also new bodies powered by philosophers stones do not have a mind of their own and are extremely feral and will attack anyone regardless.

A power sword might be possible but remember if it is used in Alchemy it has to have equivalent exchange.

CrazyBlaze:

A power sword might be possible but remember if it is used in Alchemy it has to have equivalent exchange.

Was the power sword just a metaphor?
Because if it was...can I have it? :P

Asclepion:

JokerboyJordan:

Well, the thing about melee is this: It's a viable option, but only to certain people. Homuculi and alchemists have talents that naturally lean toward an advantage up close. For example, Scar's destructive alchemy is only good when he makes physical contact with you. He is also extremely fast, to the point of dodging bullets, so he is not at any extreme disadvantage against a marksman. On the other hand, someone like Hawkeye can give him a real run for his money because they're a good enough shot to counteract his speed. In Fullmetal Alchemist, skill can make up for any tactical inefficiency.

Also to compile on what Blaze said, homunculi do not use alchemy. They are not human, just very good replicas fueled by philosopher's stones, and their abilities are natural, in the sense that it's in their nature. An alchemist cannot do what a homunculus can, but a homunculus can only use those abilities, they are alchemically inert.

The closest to a power sword that I can think of might be a normal sword with a circle to draw energy/static/electricity from some belt-mounted battery to give it a two-second charge when you stab a guy with it. A constantly-on one would be out of the question, as all that energy would be astoundingly impractical to acquire. But one like the one described above with enough juice for maybe 50 swings, plus a backup battery I would grant, even though it might be a LITTLE on the apocryphal side.

Also if you haven't noticed, school kind of eats my life, so I'll be posting around this time through the next three hours on weekdays.

come one when will this rp start? I am so looking forward to it.

Well, Asclepion wanted to take part, and I feel kind of bad starting without him. I suppose I could get it rolling and just introduce him once I get his sheet worked out.

Using Entropy as an alchemic tool would be classed as over kill wouldn't it?

(I'm fairly interested in the RP, Brotherhood, and the original FMA were both great, just having a really hard time thinking of a character to make. And most importantly, I'm kind of already doing a RP on Escapist... and probably won't have the time, with School and everything... so I guess I'm just not sure on a lot of things...)

I guess I'm more or less asking is if I did in fact have the time, maybe in the next semester, would I be able to enter then?

Zepherus14:
Using Entropy as an alchemic tool would be classed as over kill wouldn't it?

(I'm fairly interested in the RP, Brotherhood, and the original FMA were both great, just having a really hard time thinking of a character to make. And most importantly, I'm kind of already doing a RP on Escapist... and probably won't have the time, with School and everything... so I guess I'm just not sure on a lot of things...)

I guess I'm more or less asking is if I did in fact have the time, maybe in the next semester, would I be able to enter then?

Yeah, I don't see a problem with latecomers. I'll find a way to get you in whenever you sign up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked