The Principalities of Mons Caelos - Status: Future Uncertain

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Principalities of Mons Caelos

Picture a time long ago when man grew beyond the limitations of the tribe and seized the glory days of their forefathers. Gone were the days of taking up the sword and constantly fighting for survival in a harsh world. Gone were the hunting & gathering cultures, the darkness, and the savagery. One man from another world proclaimed himself King of the realm, and ushered a golden era. The new kingdom, Mons Caelos grew under his command, expanding its borders and becoming the most powerful nation in the land. with its encastellation mankind could finally grow beyond the puny towns and militia, and truly flourish within walls of stone like a forest untamed.

Exactly like a forest untamed...

As populations grew inside these castles, so did their needs. Some expanded their walls to hold more land, while its people left their safety to seek their fortune. Those who stayed to build recieved renown from the king and became the future castellians, while those who left relived the days of warrior kings and held territory in their name. A rift was created between those who stayed inside and those who left; each had accused the other of decadence and sought nothing more but their subjugation. Yet both the castellians and landlords still swore fealty to the King and remained united.

Until his death.

The new sovereign did not carry the same allegiance as his predecessor, and with each passing generation they many opted to secede; in fact many had abandoned Mons Caelos to form their own kingdoms in the south: Sul'giat and Ancier. Were it not for their constant warring with their suzerain nation and the pirate hordes from the Golden Edge in the east, the city-states would've abandoned the king long ago. In an attempt to keep rule in the lands, the King gave to powerful castellians in the land unilateral authority to establish control in their lands by any means necessary, proclaiming them as Princes of the domain.

With this declaration, all vestiges of the King's authority were stripped and a great game between the new Princes, the landlords, and the few independant castellians had finally begun. And this game for power will not end until Mons Caelos' rotting heart beats its last.

*.*.*

To describe it simply, Mons Caelos is a confederation of city-states loosely united under the rule of a King. Back in its founding days, the king held absolute power, but now the office is only a figurehead; the real power is in the Princes, the castellians, and the landlords.

The land's history is intermingled with the Golden Edge; the founding ruler hailed from there and was the one who led Mons Caelos to its golden age. Many hold people from the ocean in high regard, prizing them for their competence, acuity, and resilience; some elevate them to working as their lieutenants and secretaries, but others prefer to keep them as quality slaves.

Slavery is legal in Mons Caelos, and consists of criminals, prisoners of war, and people from the Golden Edge. Since castles and walls were being built across the land, the nobility relied on slave labor to accomodate their needs.

Few are willing to admit it, but the Principalities are falling apart; the Princes, castellians, and landlords refuse to see eye to eye; and the only thing the king can do is lament at the state of his realm. The sun is setting fast upon Mons Caelos, with the only thing that can be done is to take power like the Princes have done.

Anything goes this RP, but to win, you'll need to fulfill these two objectives:

LEGITIMATELY CROWN YOURSELF KING

CONSOLIDATE ALL POWER IN MONS CAELOS AS KING

*.*.*

*.*.*

The Party Line

Please be reasonable with your character design - No Mary-Sues, Trenchcoats, Godmods, etc.

Even though we'll be at each others' throats in this RP, don't do the same in real life - Be respectful and courteous to one another while speaking.

You have free reign to design your domain, from landmarks and settlements, to how you run it - Feel free to use the map as reference, be as descriptive as you want, and you are encouraged to outsmart the GM.

Having said that, be reasonable with your domain size - Don't take up half of the map.

Take some time to design your retinue: Contacts, power structure, reputation, etc.

Awesome! I love the premise and the setting so expect to have a sheet from me relatively soon. I hope that's okay for me to do that.

Feel free to send one in, and it's good to have you aboard. :)

Sounds great, here's my character sheet :)

Hope all is in order, let me know if anything needs changing / when we start.

El Dwarfio:
Sounds great, here's my character sheet :)

Hope all is in order, let me know if anything needs changing / when we start.

I just noticed I forgot to include personality in the character sheet, but anyway...

It's an interesting character though some details with Sulla seem sparse. What kind of influence does he have beyond Greyback? Is he an officer to a Prince's or landlord's army? Does he have family spread amongst the Wilds or the northern region in general? How did he get the mace wound to begin with? Consider tweaking your character some more and expanding on certain details, especially if you're planning on playing a castellian.

Also new update: I'll be seeking a Co-GM for this RP. Needs to be savvy enough to know how to build a political arena and move the game from time to time.

I would like to register an interest. I would also like to be the co-GM, but I'm way too busy. I'll probably be a Landlord, by the way...

Alright sign me up, I'm bring back Julian Scarisi as the Merchant Prince of the Presses, (kinda of a mouthful).

Welcome aboard. This should be an interesting RP with you two here. :)

One thing to note though is were not in the Renaissance era for Mons Caelos, and there's going to be some technological stunting. If you want any of such devices - like guns - you're going to have to invent it in the course of the RP. By the same token, you do have slave labor for whatever ends you engineer.

Here's mine. Hope you like it and of course criticisms and suggestions are welcome. If you need me to edit just tell me.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Here's mine. Hope you like it and of course criticisms and suggestions are welcome. If you need me to edit just tell me.

Good character, though it's Gulf instead of Wolf; apologies for that bit of confusion. Welcome aboard! :)

Note: When I mention the notch, I refer tot he range of mountains there. I am also assuming the the peninsula of land is also mountainous, or at least made of of hills and highlands.

I'm interested, but curious as to how exactly this works. I mean when, and indeed how, do we play? Sorry, I'm sort of a noob when it comes to RP.

The-Epicly-Named-Man:
I'm interested, but curious as to how exactly this works. I mean when, and indeed how, do we play? Sorry, I'm sort of a noob when it comes to RP.

If this is anything like what I think it's based on, we'll be typing describing our actions in this thread, rather like a collective story, only each of us is trying to completely dominate every other player (probably).

It may come about that we need secret actions, which will be sent ot the GM (Doc Gnosis) who will announce the result without saying who caused it (ie with an assassination attempt)

ThreeWords:
If this is anything like what I think it's based on, we'll be typing describing our actions in this thread, rather like a collective story, only each of us is trying to completely dominate every other player (probably).

It may come about that we need secret actions, which will be sent ot the GM (Doc Gnosis) who will announce the result without saying who caused it (ie with an assassination attempt)

Sounds fun, I'll get to work on my character sheet.

ThreeWords:

Note: When I mention the notch, I refer tot he range of mountains there. I am also assuming the the peninsula of land is also mountainous, or at least made of of hills and highlands.

I'm digging this character, though I have to inform you that the peninsula proper sadly isn't within Mons Caelos' borders. Nothing though can stop you from leaching from those lands though, or seizing them for you own purposes.

ThreeWords:

The-Epicly-Named-Man:

ThreeWords pretty much nailed it on the head on the how. As for the when, we'll be getting this RP started when at least 9 or more people sign up.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I don't want to leave anyone in the dark. :)

Doc Gnosis:
Snippy snip

It seems I'm suited to co-GMing, I guess. I'd happily volunteer if you don't mind me being only able to post once or twice a day...

As for geography: Am I to understand that the Southern Notch is the mountain range alone? who lives on the peninsula? Are they hostile? Can I raid them/enslave them? Would I gain glory from adding their lands to the kingdom?
Please excuse the barrage of questions...

The Southern Notch is the name of the peninsula in the south, with most of the mountains incorporated in the region; the mountain coast north of the range aren't part of the Notch. The rival state of Sul'giat occupies most of it; the map shows the dividing line in the region.

As for the people in the Notch, most of its ethnicity comes from the pirate hordes from the Golden Edge. They don't see eye to eye with one another - one side adheres to anarchial nomadic tendencies, while the other embraces the perks of city life - with each believing they're following the example of the first king of Mons Caelos. But that doesn't make them loyal to the countries.

Yes, you can try conquering the land and take whatever you can get from it, but due to the lack of unity in the region control is tenuous and tends to flip-flop. The wild card in the region is the nomads that dot the Notch - the state can't control them but trust them enough as buffers against invaders; if you're looking for more permanent control, you'll need to turn the nomads against Sul'giat, which may backfire.

Anyway, captainguy42 is already Co-GM, but I'd be glad to have you at the helm as well. I'll even create a Skype chat for us all if you're interested.

This sounds very interesting, here's my sheet

If you find anything wrong, let me know and I will fix it.

Grim327:
This sounds very interesting, here's my sheet

If you find anything wrong, let me know and I will fix it.

This is one heck of a character. Welcome aboard. :)

Thanks for the compliment. I have one question; How would spies work, or are we even able to use them?

When it comes to spies, you'll need to write a PM detailing what your spies are going to do - where they're going, their objective, etc., details are key. You'll later recieve a PM detailing the results of your endeavor, and/or their findings.

This will be a secret action and kept strictly to PM's. If you create a relay of secret actions - i.e. sending one spy to case security, then another to infiltrate it for data - you have higher chances of success than just sending in one spy to handle both. Some tasks are easier than others and spies can fail depending on the task; either they'll be killed, or the target will be made aware of your efforts.

Speaking of that, how will we be conducting research into technologies? Like through PM or should that be mentioned in the RP?

There's no need to PM any research and development unless you're planning on stealing it from someone else. Put in the time in posts and play your cards right, and you should be able to put your discoveries to use.

Seems like a great idea. Here's my sheet

If there's any issues lemme know.

IBlackKiteI:
Seems like a great idea. Here's my sheet

If there's any issues lemme know.

Personally I would've kept the enemy landlord and province's name vague; there's no telling if anyone else may have land next to you. If you were looking for a name to justify your army's policies, you could just have that enemy be Sul'giat, especially since they control most of the land surrounding Lake Mitra; the map shows it as the southeastern land with the dotted lines showing its border.

Apart from this discrepency, it's a good character sheet. You'll either need to alter some names or keep things vague as to who you were fighting. Feel free to ask about Sul'giat if you have any questions.

So, we have three southern Landlords, who all have small, well equipped, elite armies, with weak outer provinces that have powerful central strongholds. We all seem to be into manufacturing, or have plans to invent gunpowder weaponry or similar.

In light of the stunning diversity, I may redesign my character. Thoughts?

Could it be at all possible to make a character who happens to be an obscure Prince in charge of a very minor principality, returning from a self-imposed exile? Because this idea is very, very interesting, and I definitely want to know more. This may just be the thread that gets me into rping on The Escapist.

[EDIT]: Unfortunately, I've realized that I neither have the time, attention span or skill to really put any good effort into this, and it really deserves that kind of effort from what I've read of this. So, I'm going to have to step back from joining in.

We are lacking in the numbers department a Prince, or a Castellian so that might be a possible venue.

Shannow seems pretty cool enough himself to be flexible for any of those roles but that's my opinion. In Achreus, the other Shannow seemed to be a pretty good head of the IIB ;)

ThreeWords:
So, we have three southern Landlords, who all have small, well equipped, elite armies, with weak outer provinces that have powerful central strongholds. We all seem to be into manufacturing, or have plans to invent gunpowder weaponry or similar.

In light of the stunning diversity, I may redesign my character. Thoughts?

I'd welcome some diversity in characters and roles; it would make creating the power outlets of Princes and castellians feel kinda vindicated.

Texas Joker 52:
Could it be at all possible to make a character who happens to be an obscure Prince in charge of a very minor principality, returning from a self-imposed exile?

That's a very good question. In medieval politics you get situations where every noble turns their gaze from one particular individual - even if he was important - on account of some stigma like being a criminal, or different race, ethnic group, or mentality from the norm (i.e. magic), or any other reason why people would give one space. In the case of a pariah Prince, they'd have to give aid to one of their own if it keeps the land united.

I'd still have your for the RP and I'm pretty sure a lot of people here are willing to help you out in anything. Everyone here started with no experience and needed help from somebody; we all had to start somewhere.

Doc Gnosis:
*snip* >8

Oh, I'm interested. The initial idea I had was for a small principality that was essentially an oasis in the middle of a desert, possibly between the Golden Edge, the Meshlands and Lake Mitra, and while it would have little to no military forces save a small, basic militia, it WOULD supply the other principalities with copius slave labor.

The idea behind that is that the principality, which I was planning on naming The Tesra Lowlands, would be home to an exotic fruit which acts like a very potent aphrodisiac, causing massive overpopulation due to the populace being under its effects, and in a desert environment, would make it so that not only the birth-rates would be high, but so would the death-rates. One of the previous Princes would have made a deal between the others: To preserve the scarce resources as well as provide a reason to keep them safe, they would provide slave labor from those that would otherwise starve, or those of the lower class.

As for planning my Prince, I would definitely feel that thats best done in private, until if and when I finally post a character sheet.

Doc Gnosis:
Personally I would've kept the enemy landlord and province's name vague; there's no telling if anyone else may have land next to you. If you were looking for a name to justify your army's policies, you could just have that enemy be Sul'giat, especially since they control most of the land surrounding Lake Mitra; the map shows it as the southeastern land with the dotted lines showing its border.

Apart from this discrepency, it's a good character sheet. You'll either need to alter some names or keep things vague as to who you were fighting. Feel free to ask about Sul'giat if you have any questions.

It'd probably be best to just go along with Sul'giat, though I'm not clear on whether or not they're a fully unified kingdom or a collection of territories with varying attitutes. If they're the former, my domain should've logically been completely streamrolled, but if my domains enemy was an isolated province from wherever with no others supporting it that might make more sense.

Whatever you reckon is the easiest and best option is I'll go with it, but I really do want to somehow keep the big backstory war as part of my domains history though. It's a massive reason for it's current situation and that of my character.

IBlackKiteI:
snip

Sul'giat is barely united; you have the legacy of castle towns and garrison by former slaves, then you have nomads who descend from the pirates from the Golden Edge. The towns are loosely tied to one another and control the nation, but the tribes are unpredictable and uncontrollable; some strike out on their own turf or outside to Mons Caelos or Ancier to slake their bloodlust and greed. Control over territory gained or lost from Sul'giat may flip-flop; the nomads could raid the land killing most soldiers and forcing them to rout - regardless of whose side their own. And if they do try taking over land, they'll quickly forego all control, leaving the towns they've pillaged to whoever grasps the reins first. Also keep in mind that the nobility ruling Sul'giat are opportunistic and will likely jump on any land raided by the nomads.

In terms of backstory, using Sul'giat - or more specifically the nomads - as your enemy may keep your war intact as relations could deteriorate due to the nation's inability to rein in the tribes. In fact it could bolster your backstory due to its unpredictable nature.

And thaaaat, is my entry. If i've trodden on some toes with the domain location just say and ill change it, i've tried my best to get an idea where everyone is on the map but its all very confusing.

Ill change anything if i've done goofed on it such a political structure and what have you

Pandalisk:

And thaaaat, is my entry. If i've trodden on some toes with the domain location just say and ill change it, i've tried my best to get an idea where everyone is on the map but its all very confusing.

Ill change anything if i've done goofed on it such a political structure and what have you

Actually you've brought up something I've been meaning to bring up for quite some time. Once we have nine or more people on board, I'm going to give the map over so you can draw out your domain. Castellians get first pick in placing their cities, followed by the Princes to draw the borders of their principality, and finally the landlords get to carve their provinces from the principalities. If anything intersects between Principalities or provinces, the common folk in it will be squabbling against one another due to territory issues.

Anyway, I like your character's backstory, but I have to inform you that Ancier controls most of the Meshlands. The map shows the nation's borderline; Ancier is in the Southwestern area. I'd accept your character, but you'll have to relocate some of your villages.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked