Mistborn: Metals of Man- A Mistborn RP (Closed/Not Enough Interest)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mistborn: The Metals of Man- A Mistborn RP

ASH FELL FROM THE SKY. It was an especially dreary day, thought Errik as he trudged through the streets Luthadel. His soot stained coat made him blend in with the rest of the crowd, the skaa around him. They were working class, tasked to exhaustion every day, not knowing what horror would await them when they would come home- a dead friend, a wife or daughter taken away to please some noble, or worse.

Errik pitied them, yet he wasn't a part of them, he was a crewleader in a special crew- one filled with various Mistings. The tall man spotted a carriage passing down the streets, it was their target. The hit had been planned out for a while, inside was a noble of the House Venture, one of the most powerful Houses in the city. Errik signalled to one of his comrades nearby and started down a nearby. The carriage took the same path each day, and the alley that Errik was taking now would put him in front of the carriage. When he got to the target location he waited and looked. He saw many of his compatriots waiting in the shadows or in alleys around the street.

As the carriage past, Errik braced himself and burned iron, he was a Lurcher- an Allomancer that used iron in order to forcibly pull metal objects. As he pulled on the nails connecting the wheel spokes to the rim, the wheel came off with a mighty CRACK, speeding towards Errik. Dodging out of the way, Errik saw that the rest of his crew were already advancing on the carriage. As he regained his balance, Errik saw his Thug rip off the door with his pewter-enhanced strength, the driver of the carriage already silenced by others of the crew.

A feeling of dread filled Errik. Why didn't the driver call out? His thoughts were interrupted as the Thug was violently thrown back, his mangled body hitting the pavement. A massive figure stepped out of the broken down carriage, two spikes jutting out where its eyes should be. A Steel Inquisitor.

"No..." Errik whispered, then raised his voice to a full shout, "RUN!" His crew followed the command, fleeing down the streets and alleys, sounds of battle and screams of pain filled the air as hazekillers stormed in and ran down his crew. Someone had betrayed them; the tall man turned around and started to run as the Inquisitor turned its attention to him. Suddenly he found himself flying backwards, towards the Inquisitor. He landed at the feet of the monster as it bent down to pick him up. The last thing he saw before death took him was the grim face, and two steel spikes.

Note: A lot of the stuff after this is from the Mistborn: Inquisition RP, as most of their stuff is better written and thought out than I could ever make it. Credit goes to them, not me. I have altered some in order to reduce spoilers for the series.

Note: After the RP has started, I will probably open up for some antagonist sheets. There will be altered rules for those types of sheets.

Accepted Sheets will go here.

Oh god, so much to read. I'll have a sheet up when I've finished reading your thesis.

I was interested, but then the amount of lore just confused me, and seems like it'll bog down things

JokerboyJordan:
I was interested, but then the amount of lore just confused me, and seems like it'll bog down things

Much of this lore would be unimportant on a day to day basis, particularly the important locations. Instead, it is there in order to help people build fully fleshed out character sheets, instead of having a one or two line history.

I read this and I believe it to be interesting, a quick question however, what situation will the main characters be in? I plan to write a Hemalurgic Kandra but the important parts of his characterization will be decided on what side the main characters should be on. For instance, if you plan to have them all be against the established rule, then I probably would take a different backstory than if say they were working for the established rule.

drmigit2:
I read this and I believe it to be interesting, a quick question however, what situation will the main characters be in? I plan to write a Hemalurgic Kandra but the important parts of his characterization will be decided on what side the main characters should be on. For instance, if you plan to have them all be against the established rule, then I probably would take a different backstory than if say they were working for the established rule.

The idea is that main characters would be going against the established rule. It hard to have skaa allomancers otherwise, as one of the Canton of Inquisitions primary objectives is to hunt down and kill any skaa allomancers.

thought as much, alright I should have a sheet ready when I get back from Japan, im on an airplane today and land at about 10:00 am pacific, so sunday I should have a sheet ready.

I'm interested, but I've never done a forum RP before. Would that be a problem?

Shouldn't be, just look at the stickied forum RP guide to get you started up.

Awesome. One skaa misting character sheet coming up :)

*Edit* yeah bad sheet, diddnt know the lore. I am editing it now

Aaaw man, as much as I'd like to join in I just haven't got the time to devote to dedicated RP right now. I love the Mistborn setting and hope you all enjoy yourselvs!

Name: Skyler
Race: Skaa
Powers: Allomancy
Type: Misting
Metal(s) Used: Pewter
Degree of Skill: Intermediate
Appearance: She is 4'5", with short brown hair (though it looks black with all the ash) and amber eyes. Despite her small size she tends to act as though she were the biggest, toughest person in the room.

Special Skills: Fighting (hand-to-hand), stealth
Strengths: She's well-practiced at bluffing and intimidation.
Weaknesses: She is impulsive and hot-headed to the point of recklessness, and is illiterate.

Personality: Bull-headed and impulsive with a short fuse. She doesn't have a strong sense of morality, and mostly does whatever seems most beneficial to herself at the time. She is prejudiced against plantation skaa, and tries very hard to deny that she grew up on a plantation.

History: (Hidden because it's a tad long)

drmigit2:

The biggest issue I have with your character's history is that Kandra are straight up not allowed to kill, and they make it part of their contract that they will not harm/kill other humans. The Kandra are spies used to infiltrate and to impersonate people in order to gain information rather than assassinate. Furthermore, Kandra require the bones of the person they intend to impersonate, so if you wish to have multiple forms, you will need to be carrying the bones with you- you will also need a few minutes of time if you want to change. Finally, only kandra know how to make other kandra- so your character cannot have a human creator that owns him, instead he would be raised for a hundred years in the kandra homeland and trained in his skills before he would be allowed outside and able to mkae a contract.

BrassButtons:

Looks pretty good. Quick question though- have you read the books? Your character is very similar to the main character in TFE.

Berenzen:

Looks pretty good. Quick question though- have you read the books? Your character is very similar to the main character in TFE.

I have, and was concerned about coming across too much like Vin. Though my main inspiration was Toph Bei-Fong from Avatar, and I don't think she's very much like Vin at all (aside from both being badasses).

BrassButtons:

I have, and was concerned about coming across too much like Vin. Though my main inspiration was Toph Bei-Fong from Avatar, and I don't think she's very much like Vin at all (aside from both being badasses).

It's fine really, there are similarities, but there are more differences- I was just reading it and started to think, this is sort of like a weaker Vin.

Berenzen:

It's fine really, there are similarities, but there are more differences- I was just reading it and started to think, this is sort of like a weaker Vin.

OK, cool. Also, this thread is making me want to read the books again...

Quick question. Given that being widely known as a Misting is probably a bad thing, does the Status part of the character sheet, specifically Hidden, mean that the character knows they are a Misting, but hides this from others? And, so, Known would then mean that a select group of people know and rely on their powers, right?

LevROLL:
Quick question. Given that being widely known as a Misting is probably a bad thing, does the Status part of the character sheet, specifically Hidden, mean that the character knows they are a Misting, but hides this from others? And, so, Known would then mean that a select group of people know and rely on their powers, right?

Hidden means that a select few (i.e. the character's crew/family/House if noble) know about the character's power. Known is that it is widely known that the character is a misting. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, being known as a misting as a skaa might get your crew better jobs, but at the same time, has a higher chance at piquing the interest of the Steel Ministry.

It can be advantageous or disadvantageous as a Noble as well, if someone is a known Mistborn, people might decide it's best not to screw around with their house, or if you are a known pewterarm people might be willing to talk to you as they know you won't influence their emotions.

Unsnapped just means that the character hasn't come into their power yet.

Berenzen:

LevROLL:

Hidden means that a select few (i.e. the character's crew/family/House if noble) know about the character's power. Known is that it is widely known that the character is a misting. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, being known as a misting as a skaa might get your crew better jobs, but at the same time, has a higher chance at piquing the interest of the Steel Ministry.

It can be advantageous or disadvantageous as a Noble as well, if someone is a known Mistborn, people might decide it's best not to screw around with their house, or if you are a known pewterarm people might be willing to talk to you as they know you won't influence their emotions.

Unsnapped just means that the character hasn't come into their power yet.

All right. Thanks for the clarification. I'll try to churn out a character sheet, but that history part is going to challenge me...

Berenzen:

drmigit2:

The biggest issue I have with your character's history is that Kandra are straight up not allowed to kill, and they make it part of their contract that they will not harm/kill other humans. The Kandra are spies used to infiltrate and to impersonate people in order to gain information rather than assassinate. Furthermore, Kandra require the bones of the person they intend to impersonate, so if you wish to have multiple forms, you will need to be carrying the bones with you- you will also need a few minutes of time if you want to change. Finally, only kandra know how to make other kandra- so your character cannot have a human creator that owns him, instead he would be raised for a hundred years in the kandra homeland and trained in his skills before he would be allowed outside and able to mkae a contract.

BrassButtons:

ah, I never really knew the books, the contract I thought was a mere suggestion and could be overruled, kind of ruins the character I had in mind on top of other things, alright yeah might as well scrap him.

Also, it seems kind of useless for a kandra to only be able to transform in to dead people when he himself cant kill anything... The point of my character is that he kind of abandons the contracts, I mean I dont know much of the lore but what would happen if he just kind of killed anyway? It is why I made him hidden

My attempt at a skaa misting. Been a while since I read the books, though, so tell me if anything is inconsistent with the lore or... itself.

Edit: I keep revising the tiniest details I find wrong in this. Don't mind that.

Clerical? Edit: Realized how close "Kells" is to Kell. Go figure. Changed his birth name.

drmigit2:

I dont know much of the lore but what would happen if he just kind of killed anyway? It is why I made him hidden

Just speaking based on the lore, a Kandra who broke a Contract would return to the Homeland to be executed. They are extremely disciplined (I think at one point Kandra shuffling slightly in their chairs are characterized as rowdy) and consider their adherence to the Contract to be a source of pride.

BrassButtons:

drmigit2:

I dont know much of the lore but what would happen if he just kind of killed anyway? It is why I made him hidden

Just speaking based on the lore, a Kandra who broke a Contract would return to the Homeland to be executed. They are extremely disciplined (I think at one point Kandra shuffling slightly in their chairs are characterized as rowdy) and consider their adherence to the Contract to be a source of pride.

gee that is pretty limiting as far as characters go...

drmigit2:

BrassButtons:

drmigit2:

Think about it, though. The kandra have phenomenal power and great intelligence. They need something to limit them in order to avoid abusing this strength. You could always focus almost exclusively on the espionage part.

LevROLL:

drmigit2:

BrassButtons:

Think about it, though. The kandra have phenomenal power and great intelligence. They need something to limit them in order to avoid abusing this strength. You could always focus almost exclusively on the espionage part.

Kind of makes it difficult for him to be good at hemalurgy though xD. I kind of based him around the fact that I wanted a hemalurgic kandra and considering hemalurgy is all about stabbing people with long rods...

*edit* just did some research, turns out kandra cant be allomancers, how sad.

*edit edit* ok, there is one thing I dont understand about kandra and that is what their main form is supposed to be, if they cant keep a disguised form, do they just spend most of their time running around as some spirit goo thing? aslkjasdlhdf

drmigit2:

LevROLL:

drmigit2:

Kind of makes it difficult for him to be good at hemalurgy though xD. I kind of based him around the fact that I wanted a hemalurgic kandra and considering hemalurgy is all about stabbing people with long rods...

*edit* just did some research, turns out kandra cant be allomancers, how sad. also, I would like clarification on the powers section as that is really vague.

First, wish I knew this quote thing better. Second, if I remember correctly, kandra have special rods of certain metals placed in them that are designed to fortify certain attributes. These are called their Blessings, and each kandra has a single Blessing.

For more than that, the internet or BrassButtons/Berenzen can probably explain it better than I.

Edit: You could also see if the OP/GM/Berenzen would let you be an Inquisitor, but... that would be difficult to RP. And spoiler-y to explain.

LevROLL:

drmigit2:

LevROLL:

*edit* just did some research, turns out kandra cant be allomancers, how sad. also, I would like clarification on the powers section as that is really vague.

First, wish I knew this quote thing better. Second, if I remember correctly, kandra have special rods of certain metals placed in them that are designed to fortify certain attributes. These are called their Blessings, and each kandra has a single Blessing.

For more than that, the internet or BrassButtons/Berenzen can probably explain it better than I.

I already picked the blessing of presence, which allows him to have greater intellect. My question is how this is supposed to be useful if he cant kill anything and his powers rely on things being dead. That and the freaking disguise thing, none of the websites I have been to adequately describe this.

drmigit2:

LevROLL:

drmigit2:

I already picked the blessing of perseverance, which allows him to have greater intellect. My question is how this is supposed to be useful if he cant kill anything and his powers rely on things being dead. That and the freaking disguise thing, none of the websites I have been to adequately describe this.

Damn these quotes!

Kandra typically rely on whoever they have a contract with to supply a disguise. Otherwise, someone has a sack or something they carry around full of the bones the kandra can use.

The Blessing of Perseverance, I guess, would be focused on giving the kandra an edge on mimicry and cunning. Again, there are those better than I to explain this, though I do my best.

LevROLL:

drmigit2:

LevROLL:

I already picked the blessing of perseverance, which allows him to have greater intellect. My question is how this is supposed to be useful if he cant kill anything and his powers rely on things being dead. That and the freaking disguise thing, none of the websites I have been to adequately describe this.

Damn these quotes!

Kandra typically rely on whoever they have a contract with to supply a disguise. Otherwise, someone has a sack or something they carry around full of the bones the kandra can use.

The Blessing of Perseverance, I guess, would be focused on giving the kandra an edge on mimicry and cunning. Again, there are those better than I to explain this, though I do my best.

I see little point in the other blessings considering kandra are already given the shaft and are unable to kill things. Awareness is usefull for making your kandra a scout I guess, potency is useless considering they do something akin to sepuku if they kill things so strength is worthless, and stability makes you become Spock.

drmigit2:

LevROLL:

drmigit2:

Damn these quotes!

I see little point in the other blessings considering kandra are already given the shaft and are unable to kill things.

I don't remember whether the kandra have a stigma against murder only, or simply excess violence against men, but the other Blessings aren't quite useless.

Awareness: Greatly heightens senses, like tin does. Useful for spying from afar.
Potency: Gives the bearer twice the physical strength and endurance. Useful for combat and torture.
Presence (the one you chose): Higher mental capacity. Useful for quick thinking and the cunning.
Stability: Fortifies emotional stability... I got nothing for this one.

Also, if the GM agrees, it could be possible to have more than one Blessing. I wouldn't count on that, though.

drmigit2:

*edit edit* ok, there is one thing I dont understand about kandra and that is what their main form is supposed to be, if they cant keep a disguised form, do they just spend most of their time running around as some spirit goo thing? aslkjasdlhdf

Their "true" form (that is, without any bones) is basically a pile of goo. However they spend very little time in this form. They mostly switch from one body to another as the situation warrants. He might have a set of bones stashed somewhere if he does not want to keep his current body after the contract ends.

Keeping disguised isn't really difficult for them, as the only people who would ever know someone is a Kandra are the people who hired him. Nobody else could ever spot the difference.

If you're really focused on getting to kill things, you may want to see if you can be an antagonist and play a Steel Inquisitor. Those guys are basically murder machines.

LevROLL:

Also, if the GM agrees, it could be possible to have more than one Blessing. I wouldn't count on that, though.

I'm pretty sure this happens in the books. You'd just need a way to explain how he got the additional hemalurgic spikes.

I made severe alterations to the sheet to make him fit with the kandra mold.

BrassButtons:

drmigit2:

Their "true" form (that is, without any bones) is basically a pile of goo. However they spend very little time in this form. They mostly switch from one body to another as the situation warrants. He might have a set of bones stashed somewhere if he does not want to keep his current body after the contract ends.

Keeping disguised isn't really difficult for them, as the only people who would ever know someone is a Kandra are the people who hired him. Nobody else could ever spot the difference.

If you're really focused on getting to kill things, you may want to see if you can be an antagonist and play a Steel Inquisitor. Those guys are basically murder machines.

It is not that I really want to kill things that badly, I just figured it would fit with my character a bit if he was up for a stabby stab

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked