A City Adrift: An RP of Tyranny, Superhumans, and Eldritch Abominations

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

In 1933, the great scientist Nikola Tesla - forgotten for many years by his peers and now an old and embittered man - unveiled the greatest invention of his lifetime, a device that he believed was capable of bridging the gap between worlds, opening portals into domains beyond the universe we were familiar with. Few cared when he announced he would test it, and fewer still attended the test, all unknowing that this would change the destiny of mankind forever.
When Tesla activated the device, the world itself began to quiver and shimmer. For a hundred miles in every direction, its center Tesla's apartment in the New Yorker Hotel, the world was torn asunder, cut from its moorings in this world and cast into a new one, an alien existence so unlike our own to be near incomprehensible.

The aftermath of the sudden shift into a world of madness and darkness drove the city into chaos. Rioting, looting, mass suicides, death and fear was everywhere. The mayor of New York, William Randolph Hearst, did everything he could to restore order, with chaos only worsening as some citizens discovered their bodies warping and mutating from exposure to this strange new worlds, some dying or being debilitated while others developed terrifying powers.

Against this threat there was no defense, until Tesla emerged and offered his services, constructing powerful technological devices capable of going toe to toe with these madmen. Simultaneously some of the mutated men and women pledged their services to the protection rather than the destruction of it, and a scant few others who had in desperation turned to the powers of the eldritch and arcane discovered that this world, unlike the one they had so recently left, was still a place of magic.

Joining their strengths, they fought against the madness and together restored order, and as they went Mayor Hearst instituted a harsh plan to maintain order, with strict curfews and armed guards on every street and walkway, determined that the riots would not recur.
While the city lie in ruins, there was peace to rebuild. Gardens and fields were cultivated in every inch of spare space, while vast sections of the city were torn down to provide more. All the while, Tesla and other scientists tried to determine what could have possibly happened, and how to return home.

All that was known was that they now lived under a pale green, luminescent sky with no sun or stars, and that very far beyond the waters surrounding the city was an ocean of black ooze that seemed to shift and twist in ways that defied physics.

A year has passed since then, and life in the city remains strictly controlled and dominated by Hearst and his cadre of superhumans. All movement within the city was under the control of the City Defense Force, with papers required to do do so much as leave your home or cross the street without being at gunpoint. As this situation wears on, the people grow discontented. Whispers speak of a splinter group within the depths of the city that rejects the totalitarian rule of Hearst.

It's your job to stamp it out. Order must be maintained.

Ok I'm blaming people like you for me being in too many rps.
This looks like it could be really fun, I've already got a character Idea going but it would be incorporating this from another universe I've worked on.

As such I'll work on that sheet and another one. That way if it goes against what you'd like then ignore it and I'll use the other (providing they are accepted of course).

Anyway again take this as a mark of my interest.

I'm disappointed I have to start as an enforcer -
I had a black market swindler in mind that uses magic he had ""found"" in a mysterious book. He sells various concoctions and tales to the locals, telling them that it would ward off bad spirits or diseases, thus making a lot of money on the backs of the people all that while looking like a saint offering a cure for illness X or creature Y. You catch my drift?
Is that possible? Can I be arrested in the beginning and then somehow be forced to accompany the group when they enter a very dangerous situation? (Granted freedom so I could just help them escape a bad situation).

Avou, unless your character is from an alternate universe 1930s and was transported to a hellish alternate dimension by a backfiring Tesla invention...probably not.

Sorry, Ruler, but I have a pretty clear-cut plan for the first act and I can't honestly see them bringing along a black marketeer to assist. They shouldn't really need cannon fodder.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Avou, unless your character is from an alternate universe 1930s and was transported to a hellish alternate dimension by a backfiring Tesla invention...probably not.

Sorry, Ruler, but I have a pretty clear-cut plan for the first act and I can't honestly see them bringing along a black marketeer to assist. They shouldn't really need cannon fodder.

He's a magical black marketeer.
Alright, I'll think of something else. Thanks for the quick response.
EDIT: Ok, New bits!
First Idea - Jewish Mobster.
Second Idea - WWI veteran who's a homeless man.
Third Idea - Captain of a US ship with a love for the sea. You said that there's no sea around NYC, right? Just black ooze.
Also - Where does Water, Electricity and other essential goods come from?

Well then I might as well just say what I'd planned before putting any real effort into it.
Basically they are from a future setting I've been working on (http://starbridge.wikia.com/wiki/StarBridge%20Wiki?wiki-welcome=1)
The distortion caused by Tesla could prove problematic for the future (might cause certain important events not to happen) so they've used the dimensional hole to travel back in time to investigate.
I wasn't planning on using human but I suppose if I'll need to then it's your call.

But again it's your call of course so if your against the idea I can't stop you.

Two questions: Will they be going out side off the island? How powerful should we be at the very beginning?

For the first act of the story, the Team will most likely remain with the City, but in subsequent acts, they will likely begin to explore the world. Right now, though, there's nowhere to go. Nobody's figured out how to cross the endless seas of black ooze that surround the City.

As for how powerful you are at the beginning, just go for my guidelines. I'll recommend nudges up or down for your character once I've seen them.

PrinceOfShapeir:
For the first act of the story, the Team will most likely remain with the City, but in subsequent acts, they will likely begin to explore the world. Right now, though, there's nowhere to go. Nobody's figured out how to cross the endless seas of black ooze that surround the City.

As for how powerful you are at the beginning, just go for my guidelines. I'll recommend nudges up or down for your character once I've seen them.

If the city is in a sea of black ooze then where does water and other goods come from?

Tesla has set up a closed water system. Plus there's a huge chunk of New York harbor that came with them, and water seems not to flow through the ooze. The ooze does react to flesh contact and to some extent by solid inanimate objects, but fluids appear to just float on the surface.

As for food, they've turned central park into massive farms. The pale green ghost-light that illuminates the city seems to provide sufficient energy for photosynthesis. Hearst's Mages have modified the crops to make better use of the limited supplies, as well.

I've got a few questions actually, otherwise this seems... interesting at the least.

1.Is this similar to the Island in the Sea of Time thing, people growing their own food, and is it just NYC that got 'ported, a section of it, or the hundred mile area?

2.What's the tech level here, wireless electricity, normal electricity, is the black ooze a form of power, are they too afraid to go near it, is there some form of plant that does different things to mutated and un-mutated people, that kind of thing

3.You said that initially we'll be peacekeepers, does this mean we'll have the chance later on to destroy the city? A maybe is a good enough answer if you haven't hashed it out yet

4.I've got an idea for a character, I just wanted to run it by you before I wrote him up and got shot down, a minor league baseball player that was up for an interview to join the Yankees that mutated, able to reduce the mass of a baseball, and hit it with reasonable accuracy over long distances(I was thinking a few hundred yards), or increase the mass of his bat, but inside his 2 foot control his body doesn't have to compensate for the increase in density of the ball or bat. Theoretically he could hit a ball up to near lightspeed, but that's up to you. I don't know any D-List Justice League/X-Men/Avengers/SuperHeroInc.Corp. guy with this power, but then again, I stopped following comics about ten years ago so I'm not sure.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Tesla has set up a closed water system. Plus there's a huge chunk of New York harbor that came with them, and water seems not to flow through the ooze. The ooze does react to flesh contact and to some extent by solid inanimate objects, but fluids appear to just float on the surface.

As for food, they've turned central park into massive farms. The pale green ghost-light that illuminates the city seems to provide sufficient energy for photosynthesis. Hearst's Mages have modified the crops to make better use of the limited supplies, as well.

As an enforcer do we have a uniform, special issued weapons, etc.?
I'm also hesitant about my powers. Would regeneration work? If so, how powerful would you like the regeneration to be? I plan on having a bed-ridden old man get through the storm and then be bestowed with abilities that allow him to regenerate his body, heal his illnesses and get back on his feet. Is that enough or do I need to shoot lasers out of my eyes?

Hopefully this doesn't die out quickly like the others. You've always got great ideas, but then Things happen.

I have a habit of making very strange characters, I note. I figure it'd be an amusing idea to have the fish-out-of-water newcomer to the force ALSO be heavily mutated.

And I drew stuff. General design experiment more than anything. Clicksy And a headshot. Clicksy

I like it! I like it a lot, Avashka. Very original design. I can pretty much guarantee you a slot.

Iron, special issued weapons sort of. I'd prefer most people to only have a minimal amount of TeslaTech unless they're playing a tech-based hero. No uniforms, though. It'd be pretty damn hard to find something that fit.

And just post the character and I'll take a look.

Rhyno, I have no idea what Island in the Sea of Time is, but the entire 100 mile area got transported, yes. The tech level is pretty much exactly what it was in the 1930s with the exception of Tesla's prototypes.

People are scared shitless of the Black Ooze, and with good reason. Contact with it in any significant quantity is almost invariably lethal. It bonds to skin and is impossible to remove short of just cutting off the piece of flesh it's latched onto, and if you don't do that fast it will get into your bloodstream and spread throughout the body, continuing to grow until it becomes too large for your bloodstream to contain, whereupon you'll either die of a massive heart attack from blood vessel blockage or your blood vessels will start ripping open. Ingestion it will generally latch onto the inside of your colon and grow until your colon ruptures and you die of septic shock. Inhalation, it eats your lungs, you die coughing.

Potentially, yeah, you could destroy the city, but I'd prefer you guys to be playing Heroes or Anti-Heroes, not Darkseid on police payroll.

The ability to manipulate mass isn't a bad idea, but restricting it only to baseballs and baseball bats, well...if he has to lower the mass to increase the velocity of the baseball, the baseball's not going to do much damage on impact as it will have a lower mass. More importantly, if he has to close to melee range to fight, the first time you get in a fight with, say, a guy with a gun, he's either going to be useless or he's going to die.

This is prone to changes.

Yeah, I'm going to have to say no on that, Iron Ruler. The ability to age items basically means he can destroy anything he wants to at will. Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'based on internal biological clock'. If you were playing a woman, I'd guess menstrual cycle, but you're not.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Yeah, I'm going to have to say no on that, Iron Ruler. The ability to age items basically means he can destroy anything he wants to at will. Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'based on internal biological clock'. If you were playing a woman, I'd guess menstrual cycle, but you're not.

I meant his age. He needs to take away other peoples' life in order to keep himself alive and young.
What's your final verdict? I see you're not as impressed as I hoped you would be.

Island in the Sea of Time was a book trilogy around ten years or so(maybe it was twenty, I forget what year it is alot) ago where the island of Nantucket was sent back to like 3200 B.C. and they had to figure out how to live with the people of the time, they end up with changing their universe, and now the same guy just came out with the last book in the same world, except it's from the perspective of the people that weren't on Nantucket, technology stopped working, pretty much anything invented in the last five centuries ceased to work, this just reminded me of it.

Anyways:
I decided to go with something a bit different because of a few personal reasons(I don't really follow baseball history for one, or baseball really beyond watching a game every now and then, I prefer to play than to watch.).

The reason I was asking about the switch sides thing was simply if we had the option to switch sides, not if we could destroy the city. Propaganda has a way of blinding people is the angle I was looking for. Sorry if I wrote it wrong

I'm gonna post a sheet soon, this seems really cool.

Ok, this is another attemopt.
Here we go!

Consider me interested. I may post a sheet soon.

Here is my submission. This looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Wall of text incoming, i've never done this type of thing before but the world sounds interesting.

Well here's my hat in the ring. I do have several other concepts lined up it this one does not tickle your fancy. This particular character is meant to be a 1930s pulp era version of Iron Man with a dash of mad science on the side. As detailed in his gadgets, he particularly *hates* water. Sure his inventions are waterproof but trying to fire them in a pool of water is just asking for trouble.

Secret World Leader, your character is literally unstoppable. There's nothing stopping him from bodyjacking any character and making them off themselves.

Viking, your character is only slightly less overpowered. There's no way to defend against him just insta-splatting someone.

Ruler, Klaw, your characters are fine power-wise.

Mecha, your Jovian Cannon is a -bit- too powerful. I'm assuming that blasting apart mountains is hyperbolical, though. Also, you may want to consider him wearing some armor that isn't crappy. Especially if he's going to be lugging those massive cannons around, he's a normal Human being and that's a bit much for any one man.

Anyway, here's one of the local...problem children.

PrinceOfShapeir:

Viking, your character is only slightly less overpowered. There's no way to defend against him just insta-splatting someone.

I don't think I understand, aren't we supposed to be extremely powerful?

PrinceOfShapeir:
Snip

So... what about mine?

Me:
That goes for everyone. I want -powerful- characters. Maybe not Superman tier, but I don't want this to be D-list Justice League knockoffs. Think characters along similar power lines as Iron Man or Wonder Woman.

*Cough*

Didn't read it, did you?

PrinceOfShapeir:

Me:
That goes for everyone. I want -powerful- characters. Maybe not Superman tier, but I don't want this to be D-list Justice League knockoffs. Think characters along similar power lines as Iron Man or Wonder Woman.

*Cough*

Didn't read it, did you?

Yes I did read it. Before I go on I think I should say I feel a hostile vibe from you. Mabey I'm wrong, but if not feel free to explain.

I don't think it is that overpowered considering he is just as fragile as a normal person, actually more so due to his skin damage. He would only be able to insta-splat someone once in a surprise attack fashion. It takes too much effort to do that in an actual fight when he needs to concentrate on not over exerting/injuring himself. In an actual fight he would really only be able to throw people around violently, any more than that and the bleeding will start, and since he bleeds all over he wouldn't be able to keep fighting after that. Plus he couldn't do it if he was tiered after a fight.

Basically the only times he would be able to straight up crunch anything bigger than a beer bottle would be if he hadn't used his powers in the last hour or so, and even more depending on the thing in question's size.

Viking Incognito:
*snip*

Might want to check who he quoted there. :D

VonKlaw:

Viking Incognito:
*snip*

Might want to check who he quoted there. :D

Again, Yes I read it. I know that is from the OP and I'm just explaining my point.

If he flattens a city bus he will need to rest and catch his breath

Basically the only times he would be able to straight up crunch anything bigger than a beer bottle would be if he hadn't used his powers in the last hour or so, and even more depending on the thing in question's size.

Which is it?

Anyway, not accepted either way because your character is capable of instantly killing someone without them having a chance of resisting or fighting back.

PrinceOfShapeir:

If he flattens a city bus he will need to rest and catch his breath

Which is it?

Anyway, not accepted either way because your character is capable of instantly killing someone without them having a chance of resisting or fighting back.

What if I just make him incapable of crunching?

No. Gravity control is entirely too powerful. There's so many other ways it can be abused. For one thing, there's the 'Throw it into Space' method.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked