A City Adrift: An RP of Tyranny, Superhumans, and Eldritch Abominations

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Damn, I really want in on this, but I'll probably be too busy...

PrinceOfShapeir:
No. Gravity control is entirely too powerful. There's so many other ways it can be abused. For one thing, there's the 'Throw it into Space' method.

If he isn't strong enough to crunch stuff then I think it can just be assumed he can't throw them into space either.

Viking Incognito:

PrinceOfShapeir:
No. Gravity control is entirely too powerful. There's so many other ways it can be abused. For one thing, there's the 'Throw it into Space' method.

If he isn't strong enough to crunch stuff then I think it can just be assumed he can't throw them into space either.

what if he just had an area of control, say ten feet or so originating from him, that he can control and in that area, he could make gravity either a stronger or weaker force, even changing it to 11 or 8 from it's original 9.8 can have a huge difference on how people move, assuming of course that this place is under the same laws of physics as Earth. that small degree wouldn't be capable of crushing so much as just feeling a greater pull, now if he did it over a cliff and a guy fell off, then he would be crushed, but normally it could just be utility for moving heavy objects more easily.

That's just my idea for how it could work, of course.

If he isn't -strong- enough to crunch things, he's not strong enough to do -anything-. Because even if he requires line of sight, a tiny gravity singularity placed in or in immediate proximity to an eye would basically be an instant fatality as their eyes pop like little grapes and then brain matter starts getting pulled through the hole.

Look, your guy is unworkable simply because there is no defense against his powers beyond just being big enough to ignore it.

This is not open to discussion anymore. Gravity Manipulation is denied.

I don't really know how to quote things here, so it's just gonna be out in the open, here:

Update: I'm a liar!

It's [*spoiler=Title Dealie] [/spoiler] without the *. And welcome. I like the character - there's something to be said for the classic powers.

Thanks, mang. Gotta have a Superman, right?

And since back in the day, Superman was kind of 'basic', I figured why not.

Is magic the result of mutation or simply one of the governing laws of the dimension they find themselves in? I've got an idea for a priest character who casts offensive and defensive spells based upon passages from the bible. Though a little more outlining on how magic works before I start building him would be helpful, that is if there's more rules to elaborate on outside of what's been stated already.

I hope this'll work, this being my first rp and all.

Let me know what you think, and if there need to be any changes.

PrinceOfShapeir:
If he isn't -strong- enough to crunch things, he's not strong enough to do -anything-. Because even if he requires line of sight, a tiny gravity singularity placed in or in immediate proximity to an eye would basically be an instant fatality as their eyes pop like little grapes and then brain matter starts getting pulled through the hole.

Look, your guy is unworkable simply because there is no defense against his powers beyond just being big enough to ignore it.

This is not open to discussion anymore. Gravity Manipulation is denied.

What about a massive reverse gravity explosion-thingy that makes everything fly everywhere (obviously some restrictions like only starting on solid surfaces/has to point at origin to specify point of explosion)?

Also: sorry for opening it back open to discussion again, I just thought it had potential.

You had me at "Eldritch Abominations." I just wish I knew more about the 30's, and could think of something that wasn't terrible.

Edit: I put together some of my least terrible ideas and came up with this.

Tell me if anything is unsatisfactory. I can change it. Even if most of it needs to be changed. Probably.

This has piqued my interest, will consider creating a sheet later.

deathbydeath:

Isn't this similar to what Abe can do (My character)?
His fists can hit high speeds and he could hit the air at super-sonic speed, sending away a shock-wave. We need to ask the GM about that.

PrinceOfShapeir:

Mecha, your Jovian Cannon is a -bit- too powerful. I'm assuming that blasting apart mountains is hyperbolical, though. Also, you may want to consider him wearing some armor that isn't crappy. Especially if he's going to be lugging those massive cannons around, he's a normal Human being and that's a bit much for any one man.

It is hyperbole, or more correctly I lost track of part of the description. It can indeed be fired at a mountain and you could reasonably expect part of it to fall off. Its just that most of the mountain would still be there. In terms of stopping power, consider it to be the equivalent of a modern day recoiless rifle, anti-materiel rifle or stinger missile. Its basically a one-shot heavy artillery to take care of vehicles and I can downgrade it if you so desire. Note though that its weigh and heft makes it difficult to use against man-sized targets in very much the same way as its modern equivalents.

Okay, here's an armor set for him. In aesthetics it looks very much like an old-school diving suit, not unlike a much smaller version of the Big Daddies from Bioshock.

Mobile Armored Strike Cuirass: A bulky suit often worn by Edward, many of its systems are a culmination of his own research. His own work in magnetohydrodynamics and plain hydaulic systems allow him to move with alacrity even when clad in the armor. Of course "alacrity" is relative when speaking of what is essentially a 1930s version of powered armor. Its stride is slow and ponderous, its manual dexterity is rather low but it allows Edward to mount far more weaponry than would otherwise be feasible for even a reasonably fit human being as himself. It does enhance his strength somewhat although its mainly for hauling and carrying purposes, it pales in comparison to the superstrong compatriots and foes that Edward had faced in his armor. Its structural integrity is high, able to deflect most small arms fire and survive under concentrated rifle fire for a limited period of time. Physical impact is also muted although a sufficiently strong character can reasonably expect to peel it off with a modicum of effort.

The suit also has a primitive propulsion system based off magnetic levitation. By emitting a strong magnetic field with an opposite polarity to Earth's, the suit can float an inch or two off the ground and be propelled by a series of thrusters built into the boots and back. This is meant more for traversing terrain where the heavy suit would be hopelessly mired, such as mud and bog, or for bypassing floors that could not sustain its weight. The batteries powering the maglev do not have sufficient power for extended operation and Edward must generally walk wherever he wishes to go. The boot jets do allow for jumping great heights if not great distances although the fuel expenditure does limit this to more or less necessity rather than convenience.

The suit's energy source are capacitors built into various parts of the armor which are designed to be recharged rather than harmed by electrical attack up to the point where the capacitors themselves overload. It is waterproof but does not provide a sealed environment for Edward normally. He can do so (it was after all a diving suit in its first incarnation) but he only carries about 10 minutes of oxygen supply due to weight and space constraints.

Notes: Yes I am aware that magnetic levitation using the Earth's own magnetic field is not feasible but its a fudge so that he can have a flavor appropriate propulsion system.

Some baseline comparisons:

Surive superstrong punch? Yes. Prolonged pounding? No.

Can carry a car with ease, a truck with effort but too slow to really be effective at hand to hand combat.

Can jump up to a dozen stories, cannot safely land from that height even with his other devices. Mainly used to jump onto rooftops once or twice before the fuel supply runs out.

His devices and weapons can be mounted on the suit but they all have their own integral power supply. The technology is not sophisticated enough for a central energy source that can power the varies gadgets Edward uses. The suit itself has a very long battery life but it is still finite. A rule of thumb is that it will go into shutdown after several hours of operation. Using maglev tech drains power quickly and is pretty much limited to short bursts.

There are no sensors or HUD built into the suit, even TeslaTech is unlikely to have advanced that far. Edward must rely on his own senses.

TheIronRuler:

deathbydeath:

His fists can hit high speeds and he could hit the air at super-sonic speed, sending away a shock-wave. We need to ask the GM about that.

The only things physically changed about Aaron were his eye/hair pigment and the ability to rapidly contract muscles. Everything after that is through good-old fashioned working out. I'd argue that Aaron is the faster of the two (probably much faster), in terms of running and sprinting, but that's due the the speed he can push himself around of the ground, but because of the speed of his leg movements. For the sake of comparison, I'd argue that Abe is closer to Superman and Aaron is closer to Monkey D. Luffy, in terms of the "types" of powers and how they are applied. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do some pre-game editing, though.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Secret World Leader, your character is literally unstoppable. There's nothing stopping him from bodyjacking any character and making them off themselves.

I said he could posses MOST HUMANS. Non-human/mutant characters could probably only be possessed if they allowed him to or they were weak enough. Which mutants/non-humans are/aren't weak enough would be yours to decide i assume.

deathbydeath:

TheIronRuler:

deathbydeath:

The only things physically changed about Aaron were his eye/hair pigment and the ability to rapidly contract muscles. Everything after that is through good-old fashioned working out. I'd argue that Aaron is the faster of the two (probably much faster), in terms of running and sprinting, but that's due the the speed he can push himself around of the ground, but because of the speed of his leg movements. For the sake of comparison, I'd argue that Abe is closer to Superman and Aaron is closer to Monkey D. Luffy, in terms of the "types" of powers and how they are applied. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do some pre-game editing, though.

So you made a Lupi ripoff. Congratulations.
What I meant to say was that alongside an ordinary beating, Abe can hit the air and send away shock-waves. I thought about this ability because I couldn't hit the goo, but I could at least give it a little push so I'd have time to escape.
About his combat - He's agile and quick on his feet. Think of a boxer and how fast he needs to move. Although he's quick he can sustain heavy punishment and due to the mutation he can endure a lot more. Coupled with the mild regeneration ability he's the perfect boxer.

TheIronRuler:

What I meant to say was that alongside an ordinary beating, Abe can hit the air and send away shock-waves. I thought about this ability because I couldn't hit the goo, but I could at least give it a little push so I'd have time to escape.
About his combat - He's agile and quick on his feet. Think of a boxer and how fast he needs to move. Although he's quick he can sustain heavy punishment and due to the mutation he can endure a lot more. Coupled with the mild regeneration ability he's the perfect boxer.

Whoah there, chief. Is there any reason to be uncivil about things? Besides, there's a big difference between being inspired by a character, or even making a tribute character, and 'ripping someone off'.

ArmorKingBaneGief:

TheIronRuler:

Whoah there, chief. Is there any reason to be uncivil about things? Besides, there's a big difference between being inspired by a character, or even making a tribute character, and 'ripping someone off'.

Actually, it's not a ripoff of Luffy. I was just using him as an example of a character who has a single, simple change to his body that can be applied in many different ways. I do understand the accusation, though.

TheIronRuler:

deathbydeath:

TheIronRuler:

All right, then. It's settled. Abe is more of a boxer, and Aaron is closer to a stereotypical hollywood ninja

Enough. If anyone's going to be picking at characters in this thread, it'll be me.

Alright, those of you interested in playing, I'd appreciate it if you got/had Skype and added Corsair601 to your list. Once we get started I'm going to make a Skype group so I can handle questions and such on the fly.

SecretWorldLeader, being able to control any Human would make you able to control all non-mutant player characters. It's too powerful. It's denied.

Mecha, I like the diving suit idea. Very nice.

Lev, Death, your characters have reasonable power sets. Not approved as of yet, I've got a couple apps I'm waiting for, but they aren't in the 'unapprovable' category like SecretWorldLeader's.

I still have you on my Skype, and I think you have me on yours, so that bit at least is handled. I'll do my best to be on it more often if nothing else.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Enough. If anyone's going to be picking at characters in this thread, it'll be me.

Alright, those of you interested in playing, I'd appreciate it if you got/had Skype and added Corsair601 to your list. Once we get started I'm going to make a Skype group so I can handle questions and such on the fly.

SecretWorldLeader, being able to control any Human would make you able to control all non-mutant player characters. It's too powerful. It's denied.

Lev, Death, your characters have reasonable power sets. Not approved as of yet, I've got a couple apps I'm waiting for, but they aren't in the 'unapprovable' category like SecretWorldLeader's.

Uhh, it says you don't exist on Skype. Are you sure it's Corsair601?

PrinceOfShapeir:

Does that mean I'm accepted?

ArmorKingBaneGief:

PrinceOfShapeir:

Uhh, it says you don't exist on Skype. Are you sure it's Corsair601?

I seem to be having the same problem, with the Skype thing.

Whoooops. Corsair65, sorry. I knew it was Corsair6 followed by some number, just forgot to check. *Facepalm*

PrinceOfShapeir:

I think the possessing idea would be really neat for super-sneaky scenarios. Maybe the victim has to be within eyesight, alone/subdued, and conscious, otherwise they would fight back or cause a commotion, alerting others to the threat. He could himself be unconscious during control/possession, and exhaustion would set in exponentially over time, and carry over from other possessions and to his own body. Naturally, the rest of the character should be average/weak to compensate for this, meaning that he needs to be guarded/hidden during possession. I just think that this could work out well and make for some interesting scenarios, and I'd hate to see it die.

EDIT: Skype request sent.

PrinceOfShapeir:
*snip*

Here's my first crack at a character sheet. Let me know if anything needs fixing.

Ooo. A mage. A pastor-turned-divine-mage, at that. Very cool!

Avashka:
Ooo. A mage. A pastor-turned-divine-mage, at that. Very cool!

Yep, that's an awesome character, The GM is bound to pick him.

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip

Ignore my earlier post, I found something more fun:

Well, here's mine

Edited for rational and balance

This piques my interest immensely but it's getting pretty late, I'll have a sheet up tomorrow.

TheIronRuler:
Ok, this is another attemopt.
Here we go!

Uh...discrimination against Jews was pretty wide spread in Europe, but actually kind of rare in America. Aside from a handful of crazies like Ford, and the 2nd Ku Klux Klan, who hated everyone other than themselves, discrimination against Jews was pretty rare in the U.S. Of course, discrimination against Blacks, Asians, and Latinos/Hispanics was *very* common, but discrimination against Jews was rare. Discrimination against the Irish was more common. Anti-Semitism has always been rarer in the U.S. than in Europe.

This largely has to due with the different perspectives on Jews of Protestants and the Catholic Church- The Catholic Church has often claimed that Jews are responsible for the death of Jesus, whereas Protestants generally believe that all of humanity is responsible for his death through our sins. Europe, being mostly Catholic, has a long history of discriminating against Jews that America, being mostly Protestant, does not have. Discrimination against Blacks, Asians, Latinos/Hispanics and Native Americans on the other hand, was largely based on Phrenology and the "Manifest Destiny" Concept- the idea that white people- not just Anglo-Saxons, but white people in general were mentally and morally superior and meant to lead the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_antisemitism_in_the_United_States

EDIT: Never mind, I re-read the article and remembered that the discrimination increased suddenly in the 1930's for a short time. I forgot about that, my bad, you are right.

RelexCryo:

TheIronRuler:
Here we go!

Uh...discrimination against Jews was pretty wide spread in Europe, but actually kind of rare in America. Aside from a handful of crazies like Ford, and the 2nd Ku Klux Klan, who hated everyone other than themselves, discrimination against Jews was almost non existent in the U.S. Of course, discrimination against Blacks, Asians, and Latinos/Hispanics was *very* common, but discrimination against Jews was rare. Discrimination against the Irish was more common. Anti-Semitism has always been rarer in the U.S. than in Europe.

This largely has to due with the different perspectives on Jews of Protestants and the Catholic Church- The Catholic Church has often claimed that Jews are responsible for the death of Jesus, whereas Protestants generally believe that all of humanity is responsible for his death through our sins. Europe, being mostly Catholic, has a long history of discriminating against Jews that America, being mostly Protestant, does not have. Discrimination against Blacks, Asians, Latinos/Hispanics and Native Americans on the other hand, was largely based on Phrenology and the "Manifest Destiny" Concept- the idea that white people- not just Anglo-Saxons, but white people in general were mentally and morally superior and meant to lead the world.

Did you really dedicate ten-twenty minutes of your life to educate me on the matter?
I wrote what I did. There was discrimination. Boys be boys, and Abe was picked on for walking around in strange clothes and not cutting his wigs.
You had some nazi supporters in the mid 1930s, but it's after this period. Nevertheless, what the hell does this has to do with my character? Do you want me to re-write it because it doesn't fit the history? Do you want me to make him Protestant? Do you want me to piss off?
It wasn't organized hatred towards the Jews. It were simple shop owners that banded together against Organized Crime and not antisemitism. The thing that banded them together was their religion, that's all. The Jewish Mafia existed and was rather successful. They in fact had a deal with the mayor when nazi-supporting rallies started popping up in NYC, so they could beat the crap out of the nazies as long as nobody dies and the police looks away.
I'm sorry but this post ticked me off for some reason, maybe because I did my research on this character for a long while.

TheIronRuler:

RelexCryo:

TheIronRuler:
Here we go!

Uh...discrimination against Jews was pretty wide spread in Europe, but actually kind of rare in America. Aside from a handful of crazies like Ford, and the 2nd Ku Klux Klan, who hated everyone other than themselves, discrimination against Jews was almost non existent in the U.S. Of course, discrimination against Blacks, Asians, and Latinos/Hispanics was *very* common, but discrimination against Jews was rare. Discrimination against the Irish was more common. Anti-Semitism has always been rarer in the U.S. than in Europe.

Did you really dedicate ten-twenty minutes of your life to educate me on the matter?
I wrote what I did. There was discrimination. Boys be boys, and Abe was picked on for walking around in strange clothes and not cutting his wigs.
You had some nazi supporters in the mid 1930s, but it's after this period. Nevertheless, what the hell does this has to do with my character? Do you want me to re-write it because it doesn't fit the history? Do you want me to make him Protestant? Do you want me to piss off?
It wasn't organized hatred towards the Jews. It were simple shop owners that banded together against Organized Crime and not antisemitism. The thing that banded them together was their religion, that's all. The Jewish Mafia existed and was rather successful. They in fact had a deal with the mayor when nazi-supporting rallies started popping up in NYC, so they could beat the crap out of the nazies as long as nobody dies and the police looks away.
I'm sorry but this post ticked me off for some reason, maybe because I did my research on this character for a long while.

Actually, I recently remembered that Anti-Semitism increased suddenly during the 1920's-30's.During this period in America's history, Anti-Semitism was something that actually happened on a large scale. So I apologize, even if it was based on discrimination, it would be plausible. I think your character history is perfect actually, and I also think his powers are well designed- Speedsters are an excellent concept.

Also, I just have an OCD tendency to point out historical innaccuracies, sorry.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked