The Tower of Druaga (heroic fantasy- Started)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 NEXT

Got a few friends somewhat interested in this too, but they're waiting for the new thread before they look at it anymore.

I guess we're waiting on the reboot and the current acting Gm to get things rolling? If we want to start new characters and no longer use them, we can each give them our own epilogue in sense depending on the situation.

Want to just end on a cliffhanger?

soon to be overrun by a horde of spiders? Possible chance with obvious shenanigans involving a frozen lake, most likely resulting in yet again, the obvious!?

I think I'd prefer the cliffhanger.

Cliff-hanger could work
I was thinking of more things with Prail as a background character so cliffhanger would give her a bit of a break before she shows up again.

Asclepion:

Huh, that gives me a thought. To follow up and mention the others on this, perhaps getting on the frozen lake somehow separates us from one another thus leaving our characters' fates unknown and if you want you could just say that your character made it out alive. They don't have to necessarily die but just separated from the others and forced to make it out or meet-up with the others and ponder what happened to the rest.

I do like Caedis and I might keep her due to the interest that the Overlord has in her. I'll spruce her character sheet a bit more in the mean time. Anybody has anything to suggest or critique about Caedis or should I make up an entirely new character?

Mr.Ivebeenframed:

Asclepion:

Huh, that gives me a thought. To follow up and mention the others on this, perhaps getting on the frozen lake somehow separates us from one another thus leaving our characters' fates unknown and if you want you could just say that your character made it out alive. They don't have to necessarily die but just separated from the others and forced to make it out or meet-up with the others and ponder what happened to the rest.

OHHH; that would be interesting! I second this wholeheartedly. Maybe have the "epilogue" for characters moving to the next game be a "reaching the portal" moment - you know, those that will go on, reach the portal, walk through, and then the next game begins on the other side (either immediately or after some time. This would create a sort of "riding off into the sunset" scene - can't think of a better way to end a thread then that.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:

I do like Caedis and I might keep her due to the interest that the Overlord has in her. I'll spruce her character sheet a bit more in the mean time. Anybody has anything to suggest or critique about Caedis or should I make up an entirely new character?

hiei82:

OHHH; that would be interesting! I second this wholeheartedly. Maybe have the "epilogue" for characters moving to the next game be a "reaching the portal" moment - you know, those that will go on, reach the portal, walk through, and then the next game begins on the other side (either immediately or after some time. This would create a sort of "riding off into the sunset" scene - can't think of a better way to end a thread then that.

Hmm, this idea could work, although I think Naut already has something planned; which involves a dragon if my memory is correct.

Evrant:

Mr.Ivebeenframed:

hiei82:

Hmm, this idea could work, although I think Naut already has something planned; which involves a dragon if my memory is correct.

Well, that's actually a good idea. Sorry if my level is dragging on though, I just wanted a cool adventure. Perhaps I can incorporate something that separates the group...

TheNaut131:

Evrant:

Mr.Ivebeenframed:

hiei82:

Well, that's actually a good idea. Sorry if my level is dragging on though, I just wanted a cool adventure. Perhaps I can incorporate something that separates the group...

Maybe after the thing involving a dragon?

Hey guys. Here is my first character draft. Any helpful advice would be grateful :)

dalekprince:
Hey guys. Here is my first character draft. Any helpful advice would be grateful :)

Temperamental and instrumental kind of thing, telekinesis as always can be a very powerful ability. Though I think it is easily balanced considering your character is from a peaceful race, not use to battles and etc. interruptions for the mental control seem pretty easy. No real quarrels but power as always should be judged by more then one.

dalekprince:

Snip

Since I helped work through the character I've no problems with any of it.
Also Ray I was going to suggest something for our character's to do over the break.

Perhaps while Prail needed to re-grow her arm her and your character could take a break in a level and start up a library or school of sorts, working as information dealers. Helping to advance the locals.

And I also talked a bit with DP about Kearu Shiroon turning up and talking with our characters.

Prail may have been able to make a new candle about what's happened to the group of travellers.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:

Asclepion:

I think this is the best option. Her arc was the best: a surviving noblewoman swears vengeance on her former mentor. But her viciousness and drive soon attract the attention of a yet greater foe- a malevolent spirit who seeks to subjugate the world. She repels his minions with her comrades, while also advancing on her own. In doing so she sees new worlds, grows closer to her fellow travelers, and becomes slowly more serene and open, having seen of the threat of evil both on the outside and within. Ultimately she must choose between her personal vow for revenge, or seeking to stop evil from reaching the prize. There was even one part in the first level where her father's spirit told her to beware one who was coming for her. That's great stuff.

I think it's best that we end it by leaving our fates up in the air, so to speak. The Overlord deems the climbers a threat to him reaching the apex and sends a freak blizzard to crack the ice. The group get separated on different floes. Cut to the next city, weeks later, where the climbers are trying to find each other and regroup. If you make a new character, this allows you to keep your old one in reserve without being forced to kill them off. Just say they are in the process of tracking down the others, somewhere else.

Asclepion:

I think it's best that we end it by leaving our fates up in the air, so to speak. The Overlord deems the climbers a threat to him reaching the apex and sends a freak blizzard to crack the ice. The group get separated on different floes. Cut to the next city, weeks later, where the climbers are trying to find each other and regroup. If you make a new character, this allows you to keep your old one in reserve without being forced to kill them off. Just say they are in the process of tracking down the others, somewhere else.

Hmm, it could be that some of the group got split into pairs?

Evrant:

I can see that happening, just PM hiel and arrange a shared epilogue or something.

Evrant:

The DM in me says you can do whatever you want. The writer in me says fuck no, because characters resonate stronger when they have something that drives them, and a character facing dangerous situations in an effort to rescue someone they care about is one of the most gripping motivations to have, and a trope that's been in stories since prehistory. But it's your decision.

I've PM Ray with a suggestion about what our characters could do after this arc together, I was planning on using it to help bring in DPs character and give him a bit of pre-rp experience.
Then again this could be done with just my character based on what Ray has to say.

Thanks ray. How do the rest of you think of my character sheet? Iv edited it to add an extra item as well as an edition to her personally section. If anyone else has any ideas on how i can improve her i shall be very grateful to listen to your advice. Also it would be quite interesting to do some "pre-rp experience" as avouleance puts it :)

dalekprince:
Thanks ray. How do the rest of you think of my character sheet? Iv edited it to add an extra item as well as an edition to her personally section. If anyone else has any ideas on how i can improve her i shall be very grateful to listen to your advice. Also it would be quite interesting to do some "pre-rp experience" as avouleance puts it :)

For the Free RP it'll depend on how many people are involved.
If it's just Us to we could talk over skype and write it up as a single big post. If any other characters where there when Prail was talking to your character we could set up a temporary thread or even do it here in spoiler tags.

Also since she's coming up to a break if not a full stop what does everything think of how I handled Prail as a character? Was she interesting/ played well? Any tips for changes or improvements when/ if she returns? Any other comments?

avouleance2nd:

dalekprince:

For the Free RP it'll depend on how many people are involved.
If it's just Us to we could talk over skype and write it up as a single big post. If any other characters where there when Prail was talking to your character we could set up a temporary thread or even do it here in spoiler tags.

Also since she's coming up to a break if not a full stop what does everything think of how I handled Prail as a character? Was she interesting/ played well? Any tips for changes or improvements when/ if she returns? Any other comments?

Could be fun, and a good way to get the RP started. maybe we could all take part in it during the reboot thread?

dalekprince:

First off, hello! Moving on...

I can't help but notice some similarities in your character and avouleance's - on one hand, color changing clothes, telekinesis, can influence other's emotions - on the other, level attacked by something/someone and her whole race almost destroyed, going off in a search to find them.

Not that it really bothers me, I just don't want things to get repetitive.

The next thing I'll comment are the powers.

Like with avouleance's Oubliette Gnossia, not one of them is, in it's own right, overpowered, it's just that there are so many powers, when, at least what Asclepion said, there should be little magic, and it should be focused.

Now, I know I complain a lot about powers, but let me try to explain why I "dislike" them.

I go to medieval fantasy LARP gatherings, and I go there as a simple soldier - not a paladin, lord, baron, king, monk, mage, wizard, whatelse, but as a simple soldier from a battle ready nation. And then when I end up in a fight against a mage, and he casts a spell at me that can either: kill me, cripple me, disarm me, destroy my shield, destroy my armor, "fear" (scare) me, destroy my weapon, pushes me away, drops me to the ground - the list goes on; well, then I'm annoyed. Sure it's cool, but take a bloody weapon and put me down if you can instead of waving your hand and mumbling some words.

So, my opinion might be biased, but magic - everyone, keep it at a minimum, please?

NastoK:
...at least what Asclepion said, there should be little magic, and it should be focused.

Now, I know I complain a lot about powers, but let me try to explain why I "dislike" them.

I go to medieval fantasy LARP gatherings, and I go there as a simple soldier - not a paladin, lord, baron, king, monk, mage, wizard, whatelse, but as a simple soldier from a battle ready nation. And then when I end up in a fight against a mage, and he casts a spell at me that can either: kill me, cripple me, disarm me, destroy my shield, destroy my armor, "fear" (scare) me, destroy my weapon, pushes me away, drops me to the ground - the list goes on; well, then I'm annoyed. Sure it's cool, but take a bloody weapon and put me down if you can instead of waving your hand and mumbling some words.

So, my opinion might be biased, but magic - everyone, keep it at a minimum, please?

I can see your point there. Sometimes, being the magically underpowered character in a magic heavy game can suck (Faunra meets these requirements), but I must disagree in some circumstances.

While you came from the LARP community, I grew up in the tabletop crowd (viva la Dungeons & Dragons Pathfinder), so I have seen the many ways a spell-caster can be balanced. The two best ways I have seen are:

1) limited times/day: Sure you can throw a fireball, but how many before you're out of "ammo"?
2) drain: you can use magic, but every-time you do, it hurts you, until eventually you're on the ground crying in pain from over casting

a nice third version I have seen is evil-magic, in which the more you use it, the more power the DM has over your character and the more you're spells start to hurt the wrong guys.

Another of my favorites was that magic does not work on iron or steel (from a book, not a game) so the wizard types are all powerful until the fighter in heavy metal armor shows up and ruins their day.

Finally, the more magic you have, the more the enemies get. this mechanic is somewhat less helpful for the sword-types, unless they also define that magic must be learned, which means the more they know, the more frail they are (having spent more time learning "the art", and not out moving muscles and staying fit) - this one has been lost to this game sadly.

So yeah, I see your point about magic - in particular in a pure RP like this, but I can't help but remember all the wizards and sorcerers my fighters and rogues have hacked down over the years. Bottom-line: Magic is fine, as long as there is an appropriate balancing force to it.

Incidentally: the book where iron and magic hate each other; it's about the French-American war... but with zombies and a dragon... who says fictional-history can't be entertaining?

Edit: On an unrelated note - did we ever decide who is going to be the next GM?

First Nope! we never chose who would be next as the GM, though we've mentioned ideas and etc.

Second-Magic is powerful and can do tons of things, but typically balancing occurs like what Hiel said.

Third

avouleance2nd:
I've PM Ray with a suggestion about what our characters could do after this arc together, I was planning on using it to help bring in DPs character and give him a bit of pre-rp experience.
Then again this could be done with just my character based on what Ray has to say.

Never got said message =/, or you did send it and I completely ignored it somehow...

Fourth-WIP

I'm not really the right guy to ask. I come from the days when the spell 'haste' had ruined the game and druids routinely massacred fighters twice their level.

I don't mind it- either low or high magic can work as long as it's well written and integrated into the setting. I have seen good examples of both. Personally, I'll usually just describe the effect, or if I must reference it directly I'll say something like "some sorcerous power" or "a mystical force".

And I vote Mr.Ivebeenframed. His level seemed the most developed, he is not concurrently DMing something else, and I'm curious how he'd run it.

Signup thread will be posted shortly.

So basically I can keep the power stuf as long as I keep it balanced and not overpowered.remember kearu is quite young and as iv stated she doesn't have full control over her powers yet meaning its liable to stop working for example she is trying to lift a stone over a distance and suddenly it falls to the floor as she couldn't control it properly. As for origin I'm sure I can come up with a way of how their magic works in a way that's not overpowered

Yeah, she may not have control of her powers, and she might not be able to lift a stone off the ground sometimes, but the reverse is true as well, she might rip apart something when all she meant to do was push it back, and since it's up to you on whether or not her powers work pretty much, means it doesn't matter most of the time.

For me, telekinesis and telepathy have always been borderline OP even at their weakest, simply because there's the obvious problem of knowing what's coming, therefore enabling you to dodge with almost no chance of being hit and lifting said person off the ground before tossing them off nearby yonder cliff. But there's also the thing that if you can read your ally's minds, what's stopping you from "accidentally" pushing one off a roof or tripping them into a pit of spikes if they don't care for you? I know she comes from a peaceful level, but come on, do you really expect everyone to buy that there's not a teensy bit of assassination and unexplained deaths happening from time to time? Emotional control is much the same too, with it being distinctly over- and under-powered most of the time. Making someone calm from angry in the middle of a fight wouldn't necessarily stop them fighting, just make them that much more dangerous since you just took off the tunnel vision goggles. The flipside too, making someone happy nets you bonus points if you're looking for information, happier people tend to give out more, unless they find it insanely funny, of course.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine, but powerful psychics just don't always make sense to me when it pertains to why they travel with a group. And I don't like them in general because the only glaring weakness they have is that they can't stand up in a fight, but that point becomes moot the second they have any kind of telepathy, citing points I've made above and some others.

A few potential nurf suggestions for psychic powers.

She could have a limit on how many mental hands she able to have at any time, for example If she only had 2 them it would limit how much she could pick up at any one time. Perhaps then each of the emotions could change the hands in some way; e.g focus produces more hands with more dextrous fingers whereas rage might give the hands claws or something.

The other idea was limiting her by senses, for example if the object she's trying to manipulate is out of view then she's essentially got to do the equivalent of fumbling around in the dark for it. It also makes me wonder how much feeling she can get from her mental hands.

For example she'd at least need a sense of weight, so she could tell the different between a gold and aluminium, but not between two different objects that were of similar weights, unless she could guess by feeling for shapes.

If she had other senses though, for example if she was sensitive to heat and texture she might be able to tell if a metal was hot or not. This could also put another limit on her powers, even if she can lift many times her weight it could still be uncomfortable or even painful for her to lift something too hot or too sharp even if she doesn't actually take damage.

This could also add in some elements of puzzle solving, for example trying to figure out exactly what's beyond the wall by just feeling around.

You could also limit her effective range to a few meters or so.
As for the emotional side of things, they're could be an element of her being required to feel the emotion herself before she can send it out to other people. So for example even if she wants to stop a fight, if she can't get over her own anger she's not going to be able to get everyone else to calm down. Similarly it's no good cheering people up or stopping their fear when she's crying/ terrified inside.
Thoughts?

Also Ray sorry I just accidently didn't send it somehow.
The idea was that Celica and Prail would end up in the city using their combined knowledge to found a sort of information brokers or college. Giving them some off time from adventuring for Prail to heal and work on some personal projects. Who knows she may even be able to work on a machine to produce new candles. It would also give DPs character an opportunity to get information on the travellers and join up.
Thoughts?

Personally I don't like the idea of "mental hands" but i do like the idea of limiting her effective range as well as her needing to feel the emotion to use the power. I also think that making i so she can only use major magic such as major healing like limb regrowth for example would exhaust her and could take the rest of the day to recover again.

dalekprince:
Personally I don't like the idea of "mental hands" but i do like the idea of limiting her effective range as well as her needing to feel the emotion to use the power. I also think that making i so she can only use major magic such as major healing like limb regrowth for example would exhaust her and could take the rest of the day to recover again.

Now see, when you first said major injuries, I figured a punctured heart, cracked skull, punctured lungs, reattaching severed limb (as long as it's a fresh wound), things like that. Full out limb regrowth, however, seems OP (yes, Prail can regrow her limbs, but from the looks of it it takes ages, and even then it's her own limbs, not someone else's).

Hmm fair enough full limb regrowth does seem a bit OP. Ill limit it to the sorta major injuries that you have mentioned.

NastoK:

dalekprince:

Now see, when you first said major injuries, I figured a punctured heart, cracked skull, punctured lungs, reattaching severed limb (as long as it's a fresh wound), things like that. Full out limb regrowth, however, seems OP (yes, Prail can regrow her limbs, but from the looks of it it takes ages, and even then it's her own limbs, not someone else's).

Just to suggest a reason for the distinction, perhaps her healing allows for repair but not regrowth or in other words it can't add new information that's been lost e.g, if you chop something off or lost something or cut it out the information is lost forever but damage sustained to something still there just damaged like a broken bone or bad cuts, then there's no need to create new information.

You could have her biology skill also play a part, so for example one of her own species who she presumably knows the most about she could heal and break the no new information rule. But when she attempts to heal a species much less like her, e.g a Lallow her powers would be much more limited. This might allow her powers to increase with time as she learns more about the biology of other species.

avouleance2nd:
Schikarky

Why not?

Raynoson:

avouleance2nd:
Schikarky

Why not?

Guess that settles it then
Anyone have any additional suggestions?

avouleance2nd:

Raynoson:

avouleance2nd:
Schikarky

Why not?

Guess that settles it then
Anyone have any additional suggestions?

Only that maybe we should continue with the actual game, so that we can introduce the new character(s) as soon as possible.

Edit: Also, maybe we should have a poll for "which story to GM first" in the new thread, with everyone who wants to be a GM submitting a basic run down of their level before the new thread is opened, then everyone can submit their votes with their character (I figure that even though I'm keeping Faunra, I'll re-post her in the new thread so everyone new can see the character, along with my vote for the next GM.)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked