Interest thread: An Eden of the East RP

Pages 1 2 NEXT

For those who have not seen the anime it might be a tiny bit spoilery, Alright so the basic Idea is as follows:

11 people have been selected to play a "game". They are the Selecao (Selection).

Each person has been given a special phone and a specially allotted 10 billion Japanese Yen. However this 10 bn cannot be converted into cash instead by pushing the middle button one contacts the concierge "Juiz" who will execute any command given and deduct the cost from the 10 bn Yen. Juiz is capable of extremely difficult feats and sophisticated plan execution, if you told her to kill the prime minister and then cover it up she could do it with ease and almost immediately (albeit at a cost, conceivably the cost of the cover up would be huge).

The rules seem simple at first but success is actually quite difficult, the only main instruction as to what to do with the money is "improve japan" (the main goal) and it is left at that.

There are a few sub rules that stop the players from going wild:

1. The Selecao may not spend money on something that does not promote the goal. This is not strongly enforced but it serves to stop a Selecao from buying a mansion and sitting back without doing anything towards the goal (actually you could go ahead and buy a mansion for the goal, and hope it is not misinterpreted).

2. If a Selecao stops using their phone for too long they break this rule.

3. Once the Selecao has used all their money if they have not achieved the goal they have broken a rule.

Anyone who breaks one of these rules will meet a swift and conclusive death at the hands of the "Supporter", a highly dedicated member who is technically the 12th Selecao.

That's basically it, as for how I will chose the winner, the vague instruction stands as a vague instruction. I think that if I do run the RP I would just pick one or a group if people work together. More details if interest arises.

Edit: Whenever someone makes a "Purchase" everyone else is informed, each selecao can see the others' purchase history, If you figure out that someone else has a plan that goes against yours you may enter a battle of the wit's (remember everything you do costs money, if you run out before your plan is done, you die).

You also don't know the identities of the other selecao at the start so you have to figure it out by their purchases if you want to track them down.

Edit 2: as to whether the Supporter will be one of you, maybe. That I will choose once the RP gains more interest but for now you can assume there is space for 12 selecao (11 normal, one Supporter).

Notice: I will be away for about 10 days, I will be looking over this thread and working on this but will not be able to start the RP until after then.

Edit Notice

Will the killer be one of us but we won't know who it will be?
Sounds interesting, though a bit vague. How do I fix Japan and why would I care about Japan? I don't know the place, culture, problems, etc.

TheIronRuler:
Sounds interesting, though a bit vague. How do I fix Japan and why would I care about Japan? I don't know the place, culture, problems, etc.

Yeah, The idea is interesting but I don't really have an answer, For the sake of the RP I might change it to "improve japan" (actually I just did). This change makes it a little easier because you should be able to think of something. The time period is today so if you need an issue to target a little research can be done.

But I think the point is that it's kinda vague, go crazy, you don't have to be in it to win (i.e. a character that does not mind dying at the end as long as they achieve their idea of improvement). Find a crazy plan to make japan better maybe by creating a new internet site that changes the way society works, or by changing all trains into buses because you're whacko RP character believes that today's society is too jetset. I think in the anime they focused on the young unemployed and the injustice of corporations so you could do that too.

Edit: There winner will be the one who made the "best" (once again vague) improvement, all the rest are killed. You where chosen not by choice so many of the character's won't want to die.

xXGeckoXx:

TheIronRuler:

Yeah, The idea is interesting but I don't really have an answer, For the sake of the RP I might change it to "improve japan" (actually I just did). This change makes it a little easier because you should be able to think of something. The time period is today so if you need an issue to target a little research can be done.

But I think the point is that it's kinda vague, go crazy, you don't have to be in it to win (i.e. a character that does not mind dying at the end as long as they achieve their idea of improvement). Find a crazy plan to make japan better maybe by creating a new internet site that changes the way society works, or by changing all trains into buses because you're whacko RP character believes that today's society is too jetset. I think in the anime they focused on the young unemployed and the injustice of corporations so you could do that too.

It's too open, man. Box it up, define what costs what and the shape the rules better. It's not a manga, it's free form.

TheIronRuler:

xXGeckoXx:

TheIronRuler:

It's too open, man. Box it up, define what costs what and the shape the rules better. It's not a manga, it's free form.

Jesus that's the point both of the anime and why I thought it would be a good RP. I want to leave the characters in a sandbox with 10 bn yen (Over 60 millin Great British Pounds for reference) and see what you can come up with to "Improve japan". Interactions between characters will fill in the rest of the RP, will you collaborate or try to kill everyone else. I forgot to mention something important I am editing it into the main post, it should explain why character interaction is interesting.

xXGeckoXx:

TheIronRuler:

xXGeckoXx:

Jesus that's the point both of the anime and why I thought it would be a good RP. I want to leave the characters in a sandbox with 10 bn yen (Over 60 millin Great British Pounds for reference) and see what you can come up with to "Improve japan". Interactions between characters will fill in the rest of the RP, will you collaborate or try to kill everyone else. I forgot to mention something important I am editing it into the main post, it should explain why character interaction is interesting.

It's so random it might just work!
(Please do it in the USA... or maybe in some kind of a third world country, or in Israel, or in greece... Maybe present the problems we have to fix?)

I am up for it, sign me up! Sounds like a lot of fun.

drmigit2:
I am up for it, sign me up! Sounds like a lot of fun. What is "The Goal"?

As I said "Improve a country" (currently japan, will take some thought). It's quite vague, collaborate or go lone wolf and try to do something to impress whoever judges you on your contribution before you run out of money or time or whatever and the Supporter kills you (or one of the other players kills you).

hmmm, as an adendum, I don't think that players should be able to order a kill with their 10 billion yen, wouldn't that be against rule 1? As if they haven't already broken rule 1 then they are working towards it and killing them would be detrimental. (if they did break it they are already dead). Maybe have players able to do it but unable to simply order the death of another? Or possibly just have identities be unknown and it show as player 1, 2, 3 etc. Idk I sense trolling is possible if on my first turn I just say KILL EVERY OTHER PLAYER! lost 10 bill, die, everyone loses.

drmigit2:
hmmm, as an adendum, I don't think that players should be able to order a kill with their 10 billion yen, wouldn't that be against rule 1? As if they haven't already broken rule 1 then they are working towards it and killing them would be detrimental. (if they did break it they are already dead). Maybe have players able to do it but unable to simply order the death of another? Or possibly just have identities be unknown and it show as player 1, 2, 3 etc. Idk I sense trolling is possible if on my first turn I just say KILL EVERY OTHER PLAYER! lost 10 bill, die, everyone loses.

Hehehe I thought about this one. Obviously they can order a kill that would be way within rule one as long as it goes with the goal, also I should note that rule one is really weak, basically as long as it's not some ridiculous expenditure anything can be passed off as for the goal of improving *insert country here*.

Okay I should note that Juiz works indirectly, If ordered to kill someone she will hire a hitman who will promptly shoot the dude and the cost of the hitman and cover up will come off the users phone. At the same time every Selecao would recieve a message showing what the dude purchased and would be able to tell Juiz to stop the hitman (if done in time) and the cost of the counter hitman would be taken off their phones. Essentially this just makes it a waste of precious money. I was thinking about what would happen if someone ordered a kill on everyone, they would lose a bunch of money and everyone else would only lose a little (they would hire only one hitman, the original guy would hire 11).

Furthermore as to the identities, identities and locations are unknown at the beginning of the game. to figure out another player one has to track them by their logs. For example if one guy is ordering pizza to an apartment through Juiz you might guess that he is at that apartment, you could then ask Juiz (at a cost) to verify the owners of that apartment.

Woah what? Sign me the hell up. I fucking love Eden of the East, and this is probably the closest I'm ever going to get to having one of those magical phones. This a genius idea.

Sign me up aswell, hadn't heard of the anime before now but the idea seems interesting since you explained it well.

Side-note: Apart from not being murdered, what would someone get if they "won" anyway?

VonKlaw:
Sign me up aswell, hadn't heard of the anime before now but the idea seems interesting since you explained it well.

Side-note: Apart from not being murdered, what would someone get if they "won" anyway?

They are not in this game by choice. You are given this phone of near infinite possibility, do what you want. Winners survive, losers die. The rules are not strictly enforced except for the running out of money one.

Alright, I'm officially interested.
Get your act together with a set of rules, goals and a location and also a character template.

TheIronRuler:
Alright, I'm officially interested.
Get your act together with a set of rules, goals and a location and also a character template.

Public service announcement here: This is my first time GM'ing and I may want to have a co-gm just because everything the Selecao do has to go through Juiz which means somebody has to be around to moderate the use of the phone (in a pinch or for small demands you guys can probably do it yourselves once you get the hang of it).

Finally I will be on holiday with limited access to the internet for 10 days from tomorrow. I will use this time to get the rules location and the rest of the shit in check but won't be able to start the RP till after then.

I'll have a character template up sometime soon.

Seen it, love it. And I love the idea. Sign me up!

Character template here:

Name: (it's your name!)
Age: (no really small children, other than that free to choose whatever)
Selecao No.: (Leave it blank, Selecao numbers will be given out at the beginning of the game)
Appearance: The usual, rundown in words or pictures, Hair Colour, what clothing do you usually wear.
Personality: This is the important one, what is your character like, how does he react, what sort of ideas might he/she have about the country he/she is trying to approve and to what ends is he/she willing to go.
Bio: Character-history is unimportant here but if you want to add a little to give some context go ahead. You may want to give some indication of skills and abilities in here.

I may have missed something if so add it in.

Ok I did mine, looking forward to this.

EDIT: Added a little more.

Paddy the Second:
Ok I did mine, looking forward to this.

We have an anarchist. Looks good.

drmigit2:

And we have a communist. This is great. This one is good to go too. Man I have some work to do over the next week before the RP starts.

About the country I was wondering. We have a good character who would justify running the game in japan. Otherwise I would put it somewhere like spain, greece. Suggestions would be appreciated on this.)

xXGeckoXx:
About the country I was wondering. We have a good character who would justify running the game in japan. Otherwise I would put it somewhere like spain, greece. Suggestions would be appreciated on this.)

I'd prefer one that people are familiar with. Britain for example.

JokerboyJordan:

xXGeckoXx:

Kill the Queen?
Challenge accepted.

TheIronRuler:

JokerboyJordan:

xXGeckoXx:

Kill the Queen?
Challenge accepted.

The Queen?

Not enough, I'd kill the entire traceable Royal family, before falsify a relation and then re-establishing the Glorious British Empire :D

TheIronRuler:

JokerboyJordan:

xXGeckoXx:

Kill the Queen?
Challenge accepted.

I happen to live in Britain. Seems like the right choice. drmigit2 will you're character function outside of japan?

xXGeckoXx:

TheIronRuler:

JokerboyJordan:

Kill the Queen?
Challenge accepted.

I happen to live in Britain. Seems like the right choice. drmigit2 will you're character function outside of japan?

Will you'd have to have a majority be familiar with it, otherwise some may feel alienated.

Lemme know what you think, left it open since a country doesn't seem to have been decided yet.

xXGeckoXx:

TheIronRuler:

JokerboyJordan:

Kill the Queen?
Challenge accepted.

I believe that it could be an interesting idea, have him shipped off to britian almost against his will, then being told that he has to fix it or die. A place that by all rights he dislikes due to them being involved in burning his home city to the ground. Yeah, this will be fun.

VonKlaw:

Lemme know what you think, left it open since a country doesn't seem to have been decided yet.

This is supposed to be his actual bio, no characters will have it available, but having an actual name and a place in which you were from would be ideal.

Name: Isaac
Selecao No: Currently Unknown

Appearance: Isaac has pale skin, long black hair, sharp blue eyes, and is tall while athletic in build. His style of attire often changes drastically on a day to day basis.

Personality: In constant fluxuation.

Bio: Isaac claims to be a resident of Earth, and that being as such he belongs to no particular state or country and withholds his origin of birth to those he meets. Very secrative with no family to speak of, Isaac seemingly wanders place to place with no discernable direction or purpose along with his Siberian husky Jeht.

Skills & Abilities;
Isaac has a startling tolerance to pain, and often eats foods that most would find to hot for cunsumption as a result. He is also believed to have a great understanding of the human anatomy and has been trained in swordsmanship, hand to hand combat, and throwing knives.

drmigit2:

This is supposed to be his actual bio, no characters will have it available, but having an actual name and a place in which you were from would be ideal.

Fair enough, I'll edit it when I have time to do more than a hack job at it.

Are we working on the assumption that people just get moved to whatever country needs fixing then?

Yup, as I said bio is actually surprisingly unimportant as long as your character has a clear personality.

ThePenguinKnight:
Name: Isaac
Selecao No: Currently Unknown

Appearance: Isaac has pale skin, long black hair, sharp blue eyes, and is tall while athletic in build. His style of attire often changes drastically on a day to day basis.

Personality: In constant fluxuation.

Bio: Isaac claims to be a resident of Earth, and that being as such he belongs to no particular state or country and withholds his origin of birth to those he meets. Very secrative with no family to speak of, Isaac seemingly wanders place to place with no discernable direction or purpose along with his Siberian husky Jeht.

Skills & Abilities;
Isaac has a startling tolerance to pain, and often eats foods that most would find to hot for cunsumption as a result. He is also believed to have a great understanding of the human anatomy and has been trained in swordsmanship, hand to hand combat, and throwing knives.

A very bi-polar character here character. We can only really have one of those and I guess you get the spot. Edit: I smell apathy and I am not too sure about it, any sort of motivation, does he have some reason to have an impact on the world?

VonKlaw:

drmigit2:

Are we working on the assumption that people just get moved to whatever country needs fixing then?

I am not sure. I think it would be preferable if everybody started off in the country for some reason or another. It makes sense that the Selecao should have some interest in the state of the country (for better or for worse). I can personalize it for each character. The characters all wake up in different rooms around London and get their phones in the anime none of the characters where particularly far from their point of abduction but here I can personalize.

Edit: for example the Japanese communist character might be brought against his will.

Maybe it was the fact that we started watching it at 4am, but I just got so damn lost when I watched this anime, right about the time that chick was cutting everyone's dicks off I fell asleep.

With a goal that nebulous crazy stuff could happen, this might be something to follow.

deth2munkies:
Maybe it was the fact that we started watching it at 4am, but I just got so damn lost when I watched this anime, right about the time that chick was cutting everyone's dicks off I fell asleep.

I found it surprisingly endearing, not topping any lists but a fun watch never the less. And yeah the "johnny hunter" thing is a bit strange. Keep this related to the RP if possible. It is heavily based on the series.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked