Empirical [Interest?]

"The essence of every movement, every act, every thought is power.
Nothing else matters, because nothing else matters."

This is an Rp primarily about survival, and the means to that end. As such, it will be about acquisition of knowledge and power, and the necessity to understand what the arcane and the other.

---

You awake in a small, windowless room of stone, alone. You do not know how you arrived, nor where you are, but the atmosphere bears an air of menace, and you know instinctively that you must escape this place. There are several doorways, all of which lead into dark stone corridors, lit by the distant lights.

You originate from the mundane 21t century Earth. You know nothing about the applications of practical or theoretical magic, though you may be religiously disposed. Your life before this point is of little importance, though do not be afraid to discuss it if you feel inclined.

I am looking for applications, to gauge both the intensity and quality of the interest for this Rp

Thoughts, comments, denouncements, haikus. All are still welcome.

A double edged sword, A deceitful Genie or A simply misunderstanding gone terribly wrong?
You can play this in many different ways, but I have no clue as to what is your ultimate goal in all of this.

Power you say?

Megalomania Ho!

I might be interested, that's not a lot of info yet though.

Seems interesting...If you make it i will join. Just one question, are we able to choose how we're going to try to attain power and you just make the consequences or is it something we're coming across that you've decide to throw at us and we just have to accept?

TheIronRuler:
A double edged sword, A deceitful Genie or A simply misunderstanding gone terribly wrong?
You can play this in many different ways, but I have no clue as to what is your ultimate goal in all of this.

I'm still deciding on the exact framework. One option is to have people free in a world, and make it so that they are given options that will allow them access to said unquantified power-sources. The second involves a much more constrictive environment in which I control all the variables, and where the players are forced to attempt to understand and thereby harness said sources in order to escape or defeat some direct threat.

I'm leaning toward the second, because it allows me to control all variables and so prevent death by player inaction. Again, thoughts are welcome.

figment of mind:
Seems interesting...If you make it i will join. Just one question, are we able to choose how we're going to try to attain power and you just make the consequences or is it something we're coming across that you've decide to throw at us and we just have to accept?

I'm going to throw things at you, and you're going to have to work out how they work. I'm not going to tell you anything except what your senses detect, and the rest is up to you. Hence the title...

Hmm... this sounds like a very good idea... colour me interested.

Id be up for it, I would reccomend the second idea at the start with it gradually becoming more free. Introduces us to the new world in a controlled way, then slowly lets us spread our wings and get to know it.

This sounds really cool. Interested in where your going to take it.

Sounds interesting. The title "Empirical" seems to imply that power is defined, first and foremost, through knowledge and experience. But, then, that's nothing new, is it? You learn or you die, you evolve or you die. Things in that vein.

Hmm... I've not RP'd in a while... count me in. Or not. Your choice.

I'm a rookie here, but this is definitely something I'd be interested in doing. Can't wait to see what you have planned

Count me in! This sounds PERFECT!
Hoping to play as someone like Big Head.
Speaking of, are there sources like the mask that gives Big Head his/her powers (gives you increasing powers every time you wear it, but becomes addicting, wares away your inhibitions, makes you lose your mind, gives you a wicked [see: The Joker] sense of humour, eventually driving you into a homicidal frenzy, no matter how noble your intentions)?

LevROLL:
Sounds interesting. The title "Empirical" seems to imply that power is defined, first and foremost, through knowledge and experience. But, then, that's nothing new, is it? You learn or you die, you evolve or you die. Things in that vein.

In short; yes.
In long; the power (or at least, the source) is already there, waiting for someone to take it. Your problem will be knowing how to use it.

drmigit2:
Id be up for it, I would reccomend the second idea at the start with it gradually becoming more free. Introduces us to the new world in a controlled way, then slowly lets us spread our wings and get to know it.

That may be suitable. My instinct is to set you loose to craft an epic saga, but by now, I really should know better.
My fear is that open worlds and player driven stories are a quick way to lose focus. If, instead, I have you trapped in my labyrinth, constantly under attack of one flavour or another, I can provide constant motivation, while conveniently killing off the stragglers.

Yes, labyrinth it is.

willofbob:
Count me in! This sounds PERFECT!
Hoping to play as someone like Big Head.
Speaking of, are there sources like the mask that gives Big Head his/her powers (gives you increasing powers every time you wear it, but becomes addicting, wares away your inhibitions, makes you lose your mind, gives you a wicked [see: The Joker] sense of humour, eventually driving you into a homicidal frenzy, no matter how noble your intentions)?

You mean an easy-to-use artifact that gives immediate access to large amounts of power, at no cost except a 'harm' that would benefit the writer? I hope you are joking.

I mightt be with noting that you will have no control of what you are given. I may occasionally give you choices, and you can move between options you are given, but at no point will you control what powers are available.

Also, there will be secret actions: if you want to do something on the quiet, you will Pm me, and I will inform relevant people. This will be important: if knowledge is power, secrets are supremacy.

ThreeWords:

LevROLL:

In short; yes.
In long; the power (or at least, the source) is already there, waiting for someone to take it. Your problem will be knowing how to use it.

Ah, I see. Speaking, though, of this, is it not right to say that no more power exists now than has ever existed or will ever exist? It only changes form and shape and vessel to suit the designs of... itself, I suppose.

LevROLL:

ThreeWords:

LevROLL:

In short; yes.

Ah, I see. Speaking, though, of this, is it not right to say that no more power exists now than has ever existed or will ever exist? It only changes form and shape and vessel to suit the designs of... itself, I suppose.

No one said that the power is sentient. But neither am I going to deny it.

ThreeWords:

LevROLL:

ThreeWords:
In short; yes.

No one said that the power is sentient. But neither am I going to deny it.

I was merely trying to better understand the parameters of the RP. On that, my thinking was along the line of power itself, in a pure, essence-like form, being a quasi-sentient, driving force. Sort of like saying, "God is Power. Power is God."

Rereading the first post, I can gather that power is paramount but, almost tantamount to that, is the cost of what you receive. It comes down to whether or not the consequences outweigh the benefit, or, I suppose, if the end indeed justifies the means.

It's also perfectly fine to tell me I'm thinking about this too much. I won't stop thinking about it, but I will stop bothering you with it.

Right, point taken.
I meant more an item that grants power, but you can't actually control what you use it for.
You activate that old jade mask you found, then you wake up a few hours later with the mother of all hangovers and no idea what you did last night.

In any case, I'm interested. I'm in if you'll have me.

willofbob:
Right, point taken.
I meant more an item that grants power, but you can't actually control what you use it for.
You activate that old jade mask you found, then you wake up a few hours later with the mother of all hangovers and no idea what you did last night.

In any case, I'm interested. I'm in if you'll have me.

Love Jim Carrey.

Highly interesting...

Power is fickle
though not literal power
like, F times V stuff

Question: when?

LevROLL:

It's also perfectly fine to tell me I'm thinking about this too much. I won't stop thinking about it, but I will stop bothering you with it.

If knowledge is power, then I'm using confusing terminology.
If knowledge is advantage, then I'm telling you no more than I have to.

In short, keep thinking, but don't expect an answer.

The Thinker:
Power is fickle
though not literal power
like, F times V stuff

Question: when?

"Soon, methinks" say I,
"Made sooner by interest
from haiku writers"

Basically, if I can raise a half dozen interested players who I can trust to stick around and help me make this work, I'll set it rolling. Without them, never.

willofbob:
I'm in if you'll have me.

Khedive Rex:
Highly interesting...

Your interest is noted. Judgement opportunities my arise in the short-term.

The Op is revised. Please, re-read and respond as required.

I am interested. I will add a sheet to this post in the near future. Can I be slightly vague? Typing on an IPhone isnt set out for paragraphs of text as such.

Hope I'm not jumping the gun with this sheet....

Technetium:

Aditional Clause: the characters are to be real people from the real world. The insane, especially, may be "cool" or "quirky", but they will not befeatured in this Rp.

ThreeWords:

Technetium:

Aditional Clause: the characters are to be real people from the real world. The insane, especially, may be "cool" or "quirky", but they will not befeatured in this Rp.

In heed of what you said, I have updated my character. I have removed insanity, and brought him down to earth. He is more or less the same, but is now arrogant, and with a volatile temper when things aren't favouring him. 

I'm happy to change pretty much anything other than name, gender and description. Hope this fits the cut!

Suggestions and critique appreciated.

willofbob:

Please, could I have a more believable character? Roland seems to be an exercise in eccentricity rather than an actual character, and I suspect that he would have been written as insane if I had not already specified otherwise.

Technetium:

I have no direct objections to this sheet. It will be considered when the characters are selected.

Here you go...

Hope it's good enough.

Reserve me a spot please.

I voice much interest! Is this an acceptable/suitably realistic character?

Hope this is ok for a first draft!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked