The Ratings War VII: Dimensional Deathmatch! (WE'RE FINISHED!)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Miscellaneous errors resolved. Eagerly awaiting judgement.

I now have a computer again, so we can get things moving along at a swifter pace. Judges are active, or at least have been told to get a mosey on. I'm going to send a PM asking for confirmation of conciousness so I'm not waiting on skeletons, which is less than fun.

So.... any updates at all?

Ultrajoe:
*Snip*

So it's been over ten days since the judging was supposed to being and four days since it's normal close. If you are holding off till after Krunk and NewClassic please inform us of so?

I'd also like to note that it's been two weeks and past the would be deadline of when you posted the arena for NewClassic and Krunk. If that wasn't the deadline could you please update us with their deadline? Thank you.

Sorry about the break, I haven't heard back from any judges but I'll send a message now, and one to Krunk and Nuke, telling them they all have until Saturday. Judges can judge the odd match out on Sunday.

Really sorry for the delay, I'm a bit messed up after the break-in, it could have happened at a better time. I'll post daily to keep you guys in the loop, we'll have it all done by Sunday, or at least a concrete date for round 3. I'll fit a 'plot' (or at least, narrative excuses for game changes) update when we know when the round is.

EDIT: Messages are sent, it liiiiives!

Two judges have responded and one entrant. I will replace the judge (likely with user Labyrinth) and still have pronouncements by tomorrow.

You have been patient, very, but still stay tuned.

After taking way too much time due to game acquisitions and mini-vacations to tiny college towns in boring provinces, judging has been rendered! Now, to imbibe some beverages!

One judge has returned verdicts, one is expected and user Labyrinth has agreed to step in in place of Staika, who has yet to confirm his existence.

NewClassic has not responded to my prodding, Krunk has and is expected today.

Midnight tonight I call any writers missing forfeit and any judges absent to be incapable, and replace them. We will have round three up on tuesday morning, and fun it shall be.

Hurray! I'm not incapable! The drinking tonight has been worth it!

Not sure when it clocks over to Monday proper, but I'm just dropping to say that I may be a couple of hours late.

Just letting you guys know the score.

Sorry for the lateness, I've been rather busy and internet has been scarce. I hope you enjoy my entry anyway. Comments are more than welcome.

Ultrajoe:

Midnight tonight I call any writers missing forfeit and any judges absent to be incapable, and replace them. We will have round three up on tuesday morning, and fun it shall be.

So, it's Tuesday night here - any updates?

So by Tuesday morning he meant after Wednesday?

mshcherbatskaya:

drmigit2:

Only one judge and one entrant have responded, leaving me in a mighty stew, and finding a replacement judge took longer than any sane man would have thought. I should just stop giving dates, because it's becoming infuriatingly clear that I cannot keep to them. If you think it annoys you, you have no idea how much it drives me up the wall to have to miss my own promises. I like to count myself as reliable.

Labyrinth will be our second judge and I expect her rulings within minutes, because I am next to her and literally poking her until she gets them done. I poke with cruelty, so it serves as a potent motivator. If nobody objects I will be the decider when we need one, in the name of expediency.

Ultrajoe:

mshcherbatskaya:

drmigit2:

Only one judge and one entrant have responded, leaving me in a mighty stew, and finding a replacement judge took longer than any sane man would have thought. I should just stop giving dates, because it's becoming infuriatingly clear that I cannot keep to them. If you think it annoys you, you have no idea how much it drives me up the wall to have to miss my own promises. I like to count myself as reliable.

Labyrinth will be our second judge and I expect her rulings within minutes, because I am next to her and literally poking her until she gets them done. I poke with cruelty, so it serves as a potent motivator. If nobody objects I will be the decider when we need one, in the name of expediency.

If that is the case, when you have the results, any matching judgings (like lets say both judges vote for elementsoul) should be posted, any conflicting rulings, like a 1-1 would be solved by the third judge that we don't know.

Ultrajoe:
*Snip.*

FFS, yes please be the third judge and end this round already!

drmigit2:

If that is the case, when you have the results, any matching judgings (like lets say both judges vote for elementsoul) should be posted, any conflicting rulings, like a 1-1 would be solved by the third judge that we don't know.

Ultra is asking to be the third judge if it is needed.

Two judges responded, I called Labyrinth in for our single contested match. No fancy formatting, lets just get these results up:

Tenebris vs. Baron Renaldo Sonoris
Winner: Baron Renaldo Sonaris 2/0

Walt Nas Kor'llm vs. Cassandra 'Syndrome' Bilan
Winner: Walt Nas Kor'llm 2/0

The Muse vs. Project Inquisitor
Winner: The Muse 2/1

Lyon Aero vs. Rook, the Chess Master
Winner: Lyon Aero 2/0

Other winners by default in our Second Chance bracket are Reggie Hartigan, Experiment K-213 and Lord Krunk.

This means that Yelth and Dam Carnak are our first fatalities. Write-up and new matches are incoming, these things take time to write.

Ultrajoe:
Two judges responded, I called Labyrinth in for our single contested match. No fancy formatting, lets just get these results up:

I'm sorry for this, but what? Can I please get an explanation as to this decision? Counter Attack's story portrayed both characters as they have been shown and were stated to be in their sheets, it's pacing was a lot better than mshcherbatskaya in my opinion, and most importantly the victory in his fight was a 1000 times more solid than mshcherbatskaya's.

Expanding on that last one not only did CounterAttack have a solid argument for why his victory would benefit both. It remained reasonable to both of their interests, kept both characters in character, and offed a promising future plot line to follow.

mshcherbatskaya's on the other hand seemed silly and farfetched. A food fight to decide the victory was far from the worst thing I've seen in RW, but the victory was just paper thin. She declares herself the winner and wins solely based off of that. It doesn't have Project Inquisitor admitting defeat and I honestly doubt Erzanx would care about a broken rule made up during one of his matches. Not only that by the logic used to explain why Project Inquisitor threw a hot pot of what I remember to be soup doesn't actually make sense. The heat from the source below would firstly indicate that the object on top was hot, and if it wasn't it would show a different heat pattern that the object below it and the contrast would be seen. Further more Project Inquisitor is built with 3D mapping so object distinction is not only possible, but he'd easily be able to identify the object as being hot.

If that made any sense at all; could the two judges please explain their votes, because I just don't see why mshcherbatskaya should have won.

elementsoul:

Ultrajoe:

I'm sorry for this, but what? Can I please get an explanation as to this decision? Counter Attack's story portrayed both characters as they have been shown and were stated to be in their sheets, it's pacing was a lot better than mshcherbatskaya in my opinion, and most importantly the victory in his fight was a 1000 times more solid than mshcherbatskaya's.

Expanding on that last one not only did CounterAttack have a solid argument for why his victory would benefit both. It remained reasonable to both of their interests, kept both characters in character, and offed a promising future plot line to follow.

mshcherbatskaya's on the other hand seemed silly and farfetched. A food fight to decide the victory was far from the worst thing I've seen in RW, but the victory was just paper thin. She declares herself the winner and wins solely based off of that. It doesn't have Project Inquisitor admitting defeat and I honestly doubt Erzanx would care about a broken rule made up during one of his matches. Not only that by the logic used to explain why Project Inquisitor threw a hot pot of what I remember to be soup doesn't actually make sense. The heat from the source below would firstly indicate that the object on top was hot, and if it wasn't it would show a different heat pattern that the object below it and the contrast would be seen. Further more Project Inquisitor is built with 3D mapping so object distinction is not only possible, but he'd easily be able to identify the object as being hot.

If that made any sense at all; could the two judges please explain their votes, because I just don't see why mshcherbatskaya should have won.

Admittedly, as I was reading mschcherbatskaya's I felt I had entered another world that was not Dimensional Deathmatch. That said, it actually had action, something Counter Attack's lacked. That said, it was the only match with a disputed vote on the judge's part. I rather liked Counter Attack's tbh, but I can see how a judge would pick the one with action in a fighting tournament.

elementsoul:
If that made any sense at all, could the two judges please explain their votes because I just don't see why mshcherbatskaya should have won.

That's not how this works, but I'll not stop any judge from responding to this. As I've shown which judge voted for whom previously, allow me to do so now to prevent confusion.

The Muse was voted for by Revolverwolf and Labyrinth, while NeoAC voted for the Project. NeoAC was the only one to provide a rationale along with his votes, and to cut a long story short he largely agreed with your concerns. He did however point out that The Muse's story was actually held in a kitchen, not a side-room and did include a fight of some description. I cannot say to what extent the other judges shared this view, but it does offer some other criteria on which it may have won with.

On a personal note: I would have been hard pressed to choose, but Mshcher has written a tighter (opinions!) story in terms of dialogue, and that's a huge part of both tales. I'm not sure if that would have convinced me in the end, but it's worth noting as a factor.

Uhh... Part of me wonders what the judges thought of my work.

drmigit2:
Admittedly, as I was reading mschcherbatskaya's I felt I had entered another world that was not Dimensional Deathmatch. That said, it actually had action, something Counter Attack's lacked. That said, it was the only match with a disputed vote on the judge's part. I rather liked Counter Attack's tbh, but I can see how a judge would pick the one with action in a fighting tournament.

A major focus in the character of Project Inquisitor is that it does not fight unless it is provoked. Hence its suggestion in my entry for this round: a contestant in a deathmatch openly defying the violent natures of both the tournament and itself by refusing to fight unless it is attacked first.

My version of the match lacked action because that was not the way I had intended it to go. I wanted the characters to talk about things and determine a winner through non-violent means. Doing so allows me to expand on my character more and properly flesh out its background. The information I write up, provided that fortune favours me, would have an impact on Inquisitor's attitude towards what it does at the end of the Deathmatch.

In conclusion, I don't think fighting should be the only thing that is critiqued in entries. If that is in fact the deciding factor, I will leave[1] and wish you all good day.

Edit:

Ultrajoe:
That's not how this works

Could you please explain this a little more? I don't quite understand what you mean.

[1] Side Note: If I choose to leave, I would much prefer that Inquisitor were left alive rather than destroyed.

CounterAttack:

Ultrajoe:
That's not how this works

Could you please explain this a little more? I don't quite understand what you mean.

I think he's referring to the demands that the judges explain their verdicts. The whole point is that judging is a democratic process - you don't see John McCain demanding that the people of America explain to him why Obama was a better choice. In my honest opinion, this is why I think it's better to leave who voted for whom confidential (unless the judges wish to disclose). Makes any potential disputes less personal and more critical.

I'm not swinging either way here, I haven't had a chance to read either piece yet. I also think it is a good topic to take into discussion. But it shouldn't be in the form of someone questioning the integrity of the judging system in play - once again, this isn't just one person deciding who goes and who stays.

EDIT: Asking for a critique or two, though, is certainly welcome in my humble opinion.

I include the critiques when I pass my verdicts along because I think it just looks a little more professional than just passing along straight up votes. It avoids the whole "he probably just flipped a coin" thought process if I give descriptions to the methods of my madness. I mean, even the American Idol judges give reasons for not liking someone, even to the truly dreadful.

Also, in my process, the actual fight itself may count for more, but it certainly isn't the only thing I use. I take faithfulness to the characters, to the setting and to their own rationales into account. Depending on where one category might falter, that can change the whole outcome of my vote.

I elected to use the food fight in respect to Counter Attack's assertion that Project Inquisitor would avoid violence, and a food fight allows for there to be a "fight" without violence. I will admit that the hot soup thing is a bit of a stretch, but it's in keeping with the rest of the story and avoids what I wanted to avoid, namely a contest where the two characters talk each other into submission. I think Counter Attack did a great job, and if they won, I would be fine with it. I really don't see why some people are so worked up about it. There's nothing at stake here. It's just an excuse to write some fun stories.

Post Reserved, Round Three Under Construction. Ignore the sounds of heavy machinery. I've made you all wait long enough, so as I complete each individual section of this post I'll put it up and there'll be something for everyone. I'll be prioritizing the round itself over the 'plot' narrative, so we can all get started, but this final post will include some of that all the same.

The 'Behind The Scenes' will begin with Erzanx 'saving' the defeated, so check there to see what kind of injuries and trauma your character might have sustained, if any. You can have these healed, of course. As this is important for the round, this will go up before any other 'plot' as I prioritize functional concerns. If not tonight, we'll see round launch tomorrow. I'm on trains all of today, so I'll update whenever my internet connection is working. Syndey rail, gotta love it.

ROUND THREE: 'THE ACHING PAST'

Even the omnipotent know the tug of mortality, and every show has it's final season. In the face of the Versecore's looming demise, Erzanx cannot help but look to those great contests who have since passed. Some have moved on to other times and places, some are dead as their entrants, but for the resourceful xenos there is always a remnant to retrieve.

The Primary Bracket: The Living

Match One: Baron Renaldo Sonaris VS Walt Nas Kor'llm, the Father of News

The Journalist and The Noble will venture further back than any others, to a once-proud and bloodstained battleground. This crumbling, circular arena is connected by two grand, opposing gates to a maze of living quarters, ancient armories and other rooms essential to the gladiators art. Above the sandy fighting pit tower the stands, once teeming with cheering crowds. In the center of this all is sunk a pool of filthy water, on the bottom of which long dead monsters, fusions of aquatic fury and mad science, lurk in sad stillness. Pay your respects to the fallen, and in remembrance bring fury to your foes.

Match Two: The Muse VS Lyon Aero, the Captain of the Rockstad

On some level all religions are true, even if only as a fleeting flicker of a dimension in response to stray thought. The Words and The Siren will meet in Purgatory, the cosmic waiting room for a billion disparate faiths. It is a dark but gentle woodland, interspersed with grassy fields and shallow, clear ponds. Here the dead wait, not conscious but adrift in their past guilt and glory. If there is suffering here, it is only what the sleeping ghosts have brought with them. They flit and flicker between the trees like faded projections, casting illusions from their lives onto the surrounds. Don't get lost in the lives of others, you already know how they end.

The Sedcondary Bracket; The Dead

Match Three: Tenebris VS The Ambassadors

The Shade and The Pariah will meet in a place that never was and probably should not be again. Here a glorious city rises, ruined, from a thick bog. Junk and debris are everywhere, filling rooms and falling occasionally from the precarious rooftops. Trees sprout merrily from the sides of the towers, and despite the heat and damp it is beautiful. Birds wheel through the glorious sunlight and glittering waterfalls fall constantly (and impossibly) from the tops of verdant skyscrapers. Beware though, for this is a place made of memories, and thoughts can take shape here. Watch your minds, lest you drag forth your pasts and what lies therein.

Match Four: "Project Inquisitor" VS Rook, The Chess Master

The Construct and The Master will be taken down to the Paradise City, where the grass is green and the pretty girls will shoot you on sight. So will everybody else, actually. The locals are a rough sort, and they still have some unhappy memories from the last time a cosmic showdown rocked through the streets. Crime is rife, the lights are bright and the bars as smoky as they are atmospheric. In Paradise City, there's somebody who will sell you anything and probably anything, but the prices are high in ways you might not expect. Don't jaywalk, don't look anyone in the eye and don't forget why you're there. To win a wish.

Match Five: Experiment K-213, the Fog Monster VS Reginald "Reggie" Hartigan, Badass Cop

The Haze and The Hunter meet in the city of Chicane, a city divided in time, space and society. Here, four classes work their respective magics to the betterment of all and in service to those above them. Our contestants will do battle on the lowest levels of the quartered city, where time and light work in strange and mysterious ways. The city rests on a giant disc, and should or contestants find their way through the thin divide, to the other side of the plane, they will enter the Past. Here, in a dark and twisted distortion of what has already been, the fighters are moments or maybe ages behind the events of the upper world. Can our fighters use the temporal shift to their advantage, or just to pay an overdue phone bill?

-Stay Tuned-

CounterAttack:
In conclusion, I don't think fighting should be the only thing that is critiqued in entries. If that is in fact the deciding factor, I will leave and wish you all good day.

Note: If I choose to leave, I would much prefer that Inquisitor were left alive rather than destroyed.

It isn't, but to my mind it at least *A* deciding factor.

As the Project finds itself in the second chance rounds, however, there must be a fatality in order to determine a victor. There are ways around this (or at least ways to keep a clear conscience) for a determined pacifist, mind you, but given your concerns I thought I'd bring it up. I don't want you to go, you write engagingly as well as enjoyably and I like your character.

Oh poop. I'm against Counter Attack. Rook won't be living too long.

Ultrajoe:
As the Project finds itself in the second chance rounds, however, there must be a fatality in order to determine a victor. There are ways around this (or at least ways to keep a clear conscience) for a determined pacifist, mind you, but given your concerns I thought I'd bring it up. I don't want you to go, you write engagingly as well as enjoyably and I like your character.

There must be a fatality? Quite honestly, I do not know how to respond to that. I have a tendency to avoid fighting of most kinds, in role-plays and real life in equal measure. While I am aware of the possibility of Project Inquisitor avoiding having to kill someone, I very much doubt my ability to find the way and act on it within the given setting (once it's been written up and posted).

CounterAttack:

Ultrajoe:

There must be a fatality? Quite honestly, I do not know how to respond to that. I have a tendency to avoid fighting of most kinds, in role-plays and real life in equal measure. While I am aware of the possibility of Project Inquisitor avoiding having to kill someone, I very much doubt my ability to find the way and act on it within the given setting (once it's been written up and posted).

I am willing to put an end to that. I plan to write about a chess match between the two. Neither will have a fatality and thus neither of us will be stunted. So feel free to write about whatever you choose.

I'm more than happy to do another wild card match, hopefully it won't be another victory by forfeit though.

Also, @Ultrajoe: Man, you should have told me you were in Sydney! I would have been overjoyed to finally meet you in the flesh!

I'm dropping out of the contest so Lord Krunk's character can be moved into my character's position. I honestly hate dealing with blind faith systems like our current judging structure. I was willing to get past it as long as the judges were timely and they didn't make any decisions that didn't seem overly strange. Considering that they failed completely on one part and brought question to the other, I just don't want to dedicate time and work to people I don't trust to give it a complete read and not follow the set terms that they agreed to.

CounterAttack:
While I am aware of the possibility of Project Inquisitor avoiding having to kill someone, I very much doubt my ability to find the way and act on it within the given setting.

My settings are very stretchy, I've no doubt that imagination will prevail. My definition of 'fatality' merely means somebody needs to die. Feel free to be a cheeky sod with the wording, as has been the best tradition of guile heroes throughout the ages. Do see my next point as well, though.

drmigit2:
I am willing to put an end to that. I plan to write about a chess match between the two. Neither will have a fatality and thus neither of us will be stunted. So feel free to write about whatever you choose.

A multiple mutiny works, as I can hardly disqualify both of you. If you trust each other to both write a peaceful conclusion, then we'll simply judge it on writing merit. Erzanx might get angry in-story, but I myself have no problem with it.

elementsoul:
I'm dropping out of the contest so Lord Krunk's character can be moved into my character's position. I honestly hate dealing with blind faith systems like our current judging structure. I was willing to get past it as long as the judges were timely and they didn't make any decisions that didn't seem overly strange. Considering that they failed completely on one part and brought question to the other, I just don't want to dedicate time and work to people I don't trust to give it a complete read and not follow the set terms that they agreed to.

Okay, bye.

Matches have been shuffled accordingly, allowing me to drop the most tenuous of our planned arenas and assign everybody an existing opponent.

Lord Krunk:
Also, @Ultrajoe: Man, you should have told me you were in Sydney! I would have been overjoyed to finally meet you in the flesh!

I live in Wollongong, an hour and a half away. If you have a weekend free let me know, I can come up for a day and do lunch. My weekends are blessedly uncluttered nowadays. EDIT: Actually, myself and Labyrinth will probably head to Sydney to see The Hobbit when it's out, if you wanted to come with us. The crowds are killer in the city, but the cinemas themselves are fantastic.

Ultrajoe:

Lord Krunk:

I live in Wollongong, an hour and a half away. If you have a weekend free let me know, I can come up for a day and do lunch. My weekends are blessedly uncluttered nowadays. EDIT: Actually, myself and Labyrinth will probably head to Sydney to see The Hobbit when it's out, if you wanted to come with us. The crowds are killer in the city, but the cinemas themselves are fantastic.

That sounds absolutely fantastic. Provided I remember, which I'm pretty sure I will, I'd absolutely love to meet you guys (Labyrinth for the second time)!

As for weekends, it's a bit odd for me because of work and Uni and such but I'm sure I'll find myself available at some point :)

On-Topic: The Shadowman vs. The Shadow. Something tells me this is going to be a showdown and a half.

Ultrajoe:
Match Four: "Project Inquisitor" VS Rook, The Chess Master

The Construct and The Master will be taken down to the Paradise City, where the grass is green and the pretty girls will shoot you on sight. So will everybody else, actually. The locals are a rough sort, and they still have some unhappy memories from the last time a cosmic showdown rocked through the streets. Crime is rife, the lights are bright and the bars as smoky as they are atmospheric. In Paradise City, there's somebody who will sell you anything and probably anything, but the prices are high in ways you might not expect. Don't jaywalk, don't look anyone in the eye and don't forget why you're there. To win a wish.

Okay, yeah, remember what I said about not knowing how to use a setting to my advantage? Turns out I was one hundred percent correct. I'm not really sure what to say, except that I very much doubt my chances of being able to write up a post for this one.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked