The Ratings War VII: Dimensional Deathmatch! (WE'RE FINISHED!)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Yeah, I'd like to know the deadline as well, just so I can know whether to sleep :p

The deadline is listed on the first page. It is Friday the 11th, so this Friday in case people are too lazy to look at a Calendar.

I am very afraid of who I might get put against in the first round....very afraid.

The last date that he gave was this Friday, May 11th 2012. I personally think this might be a bad move as more people would likely join if the last entry date was Sunday, May 13th 2012 since people would have Saturday and likely no work or school.

Tsurugi:

I am very afraid of who I might get put against in the first round....very afraid.

That's the great thing about the double-elimination bracket. No matter what happens in the first round, we all get a second chance.

It's pretty silly, but then you did mention Lobster Rock Gods

Two questions. First: are the characters aware that this is a double elimination bracket system? or do they think they'll be permanently dead when they die? Second: how smartass-proof is the wish? What's stopping you from writing out a list of stuff you want then wishing for "Everything on the list?"

mshcherbatskaya:

ThreeWords:

William dam Carnak
William's main talent, however, is subversion.

Please explain a bit more how this subversion ability works. What do he subvert and how does he subvert it?

Hum. On reflection, subversion was rather the wrong word. Serves me to write when I'm tired.

A Mark II sheet will appear, with improvements and clarifications.

Captcha: fire + brimstone

elementsoul:
-snip-

I changed the character sheet around a bit in an attempt to help explain things better.

VonKlaw:
It's pretty silly, but then you did mention Lobster Rock Gods

It's perfect. This ratings war is all about the unique and exaggerated, and as such I adore your 'Reggie' and all his awesome charms.

Working on character will finish tomorrow and Send before the end of austrailia's Friday. Since I'm assuming that's the Friday how refers to

Its short and sweet, I'll admit, but the fact is, I was simply running out of time. I assure you my entries shall be more substantial.

Alright, everything is good to go.

Lost In The Void:
Working on character will finish tomorrow and Send before the end of austrailia's Friday. Since I'm assuming that's the Friday how refers to

I've tacked on an eighteen hour lenience to account for timezones.

drmigit2:

CounterAttack:

drmigit2:
Is it ok if I bring my character from another RP in this? Tadx is too much fun to role play as.

We can't use characters that already exist. I presume this applies to existing role-plays as well. Not having it apply would defeat the purpose of the rule; it would turn Ratings War into a meta-RP, a fight between existing characters.

Ah, that kind of sucks, alright then.

Actually, I think the idea of a meta-Ratings Battle of existing RP characters sounds more than a little awesome. I think someone should do that next. I'd totally bring my Commander Fangirl character from the pre-historic "4chan Invades the Escapist" RP, back from the days when the Role-Play Forum was just a sparkle in Off-Topic's eye. It would be EPIC. That's right--EPIC WITH ULTRACAPS! ULTRACAPS I SAY!

I also went for silly...

mshcherbatskaya:
Actually, I think the idea of a meta-Ratings Battle of existing RP characters sounds more than a little awesome. I think someone should do that next. I'd totally bring my Commander Fangirl character from the pre-historic "4chan Invades the Escapist" RP, back from the days when the Role-Play Forum was just a sparkle in Off-Topic's eye. It would be EPIC. That's right--EPIC WITH ULTRACAPS! ULTRACAPS I SAY!

Eh. I've been in crossover roleplays before and they haven't been all that great, in my opinion. I favour the existing RW format of new characters from new universes.

CounterAttack:

mshcherbatskaya:

Eh. I've been in crossover roleplays before and they haven't been all that great, in my opinion. I favour the existing RW format of new characters from new universes.

Well, I'd still like to try it, if someone wanted to do one. I believe in its potential for fun, even if you don't. I'd do it myself, but if I ran it I couldn't compete and that's the fun part.

Finally finished. The introduction and summary might be a little rough, but that's what I get for wanting to meet a deadline and not having much time to use. I present Project Inquisitor for your perusal.

CounterAttack:

Clothing: Project Inquisitor 'wears' military-grade battle armour built into its body to protect the chassis and torso. The armour's metal is a graphene-steel hybrid, able to resist impacts from multiple different sources and capable of conducting electricity.[quote="CounterAttack" post="540.373412.14524672"]Finally finished. The introduction and summary might be a little rough, but that's what I get for wanting to meet a deadline and not having much time to use. I present Project Inquisitor for your perusal.

When you say it is able to resist impacts from multiple different sources what does this mean in terms of how well it will stand up to different weapons (Ie. A sword, or a bullet?). How thick exactly is this metal and how much can it resist?

Tsurugi:
When you say it is able to resist impacts from multiple different sources what does this mean in terms of how well it will stand up to different weapons (Ie. A sword, or a bullet?). How thick exactly is this metal and how much can it resist?

Honestly... I'm not entirely sure. I don't know all that much about armour in general, not to mention its resistances or how thick it would need to be in order to be effective. Given that Project Inquisitor was supposed to be a commanding officer on the front lines, I imagine its armour should be able to withstand at least some amount of gunfire, or attempts to hack it open with a sword. It shouldn't be overly easy to pierce, but not impossible either.

I'll also point out that the construct's armour does not cover it entirely. It's not impenetrable.

K-213 is now raring to go. For the post, Just go right this way.

It is now Friday, the 11th day of the month! Hooray for time!

By my reckoning, that gives people... 22 hours and 45 minutes left to finish off submissions from the time of this post, including the eighteen hour grace period for timezone differences.

Get cracking!

Story of application to follow. I've got twenty two hours you say? Ought to be enough time but I'll warn in advance it'll be rushed. Its three in the morning my way and I have to work in three hours or I'd finished it now. As it stands I aim to be a couple hours before deadline.

Questions comments or concerns directed toward Nas-Kor'Ilm? What do y'all think?

I want to edit this, but it will need to do for now.

Note: I use the acronym DNA a fair amount here. What I mean isn't really DNA, but the system of trait expression DNA is part of, but which symbiotic parasites and hormone regulation and such also play roles. That's just hard to say.

Holy shit this was hard to work out the details for. Let me know if something makes no sense or is stupid complicated.

Alright, not hours early. More akin to seconds left on the clock. But still here.

Khedive Rex:
-snip-

I must say, your character will be an interesting opponent. If Project Inquisitor and Walt were to be pitted against one another, I imagine there would be much discussion had between them.

I really want to be a part of this, and so I will. Save me a spot for a couple of days, will ya?
I have much to do tonight, so not much will go down in this post.

Auger is a thrill-seaking dimension sailor Admiral and noble of the dimension spanning Astralian Empire with a very childish deamenor, Deeds is his butler, in charge of bringing the tea.

WARNING! ENTERING CONSTRUCTION SITE
please put on hard hats.

that'll do for now

CRAP! I just saw the deadline! Can I ask for the luxury of being given until midday Saturday the 12th, Brisbane time?

Right-the-o.

I'm going to call submissions closed as of now. Willofbob, if I find that your inclusion would bring the contest to even numbers, you can join. If not, I do apologize but you'll need to wait until next time. I haven't counted yet, but feel free to do so yourself and assuage your doubts.

I have a Warhammer tournament, and after it will announce a full cast list, the arenas for the game and the brackets. Such fun, yes?

Ooh! I can't wait.

Adding more so I don't get banned, I'm really excited and I'm really digging what you've written so far.

++++++++B-B-B-B-B-B-BROADCAST IN THREE, TWO, ONE... ROCK IT!!!!++++++++

"Sentience!" said Erzanx Infinus, lord of all frequencies and giga-bonsai guru "I do sincerely apologize for that brief delay. It's not the first time Dimensional Deathmatch has experienced technical difficulties, but each such terrible occasion fills me with sadness and regret"

Erzanx made a grandiose gesture (Or rather, more grandiose than usual) and the blank space behind him lit up with millions of incredibly tiny, incredibly bright lights.

"Across all spaces, all planes and all dimensions the souls of the hopeful have been crying out! Our dedicated and tireless teams of empaths have been working themselves to death, in a manner of speaking, to find those entrants with the qualities that Dimensional Deathmatch desires! What are those qualities, you ask? Moxy, I reply, moxy and a physical form that doesn't incinerate the minds of carbon and argon based lifeforms that see it!"

The lights winked out slowly behind the orange showhost, leaving behind only the brightest. At a gesture from Erzanx, these favored, especially luminous sparks sprang forth and began to orbit lazily around his upheld hand. With the remaining three, he continued to gesticulate unrepentantly.

"Here they are, sentience, the champions of skill, speed, strength, sorcery and science sent to satisfy and slake your slightly sadistic, slavering soft spot for struggle!"

The lights flew outward from Erzanx, striking the stage in a rough semicircle before him.

There was a flash. There was a bang. Then, when the ringing cleared, there were the contestants.

"Welcome, entrants, to the bridge of the ultraship Versecore! Although it's capable of altering and exceeding the concept of velocity, you'll find it the smoothest ride this side of a friction-less lover. I do apologize to the Experiment and Miss Anthrax for the force fields, but I prefer my component elements to stay within my dermal layers and to remain uninfected. As for the rest of you, feel free to wave to the folks back home, and everyone everywhere else". Erzanx directed a not entirely smug-free smile towards Walt Nas'Korllm.

"You'll have residences here for the duration of the contest, and will be positively pampered between bouts by our capable and understanding staff. For legal reasons, The Baron is advised not to investigate their internal structures. Once the rounds start, on the other hand, you'll be doing your best to subdue, submit or slay your opposition in whatever fashion you feel is appropriate. Before that, however, there are a few things we need to go over. If you could all stay quiet for the moment, that would be grand".

"For starters, while I don't have a problem with you delightful folk chatting between yourselves, we'll be inhibiting any radial powers, spells, energy projections or old fashioned fisticuffs while you're on board. That means you, Cassandra, can have no doubt enlightening discourses with Wilbur without burning each other's brains out, inadvertently or otherwise. Terra, you're free to move any rocks you find, but only by hand".

"You'll be broadcast live at all times while you're here, but you can opt out of this in private spaces such as your own rooms and the adjoined amenities. During matches, however, everything is recorded. Because of this we recommend using the toilet before your match. Unless, of course you don't need to. Project Inquisitor, Tenebris, and others whose digestive functions I don't want to guess at, you're off the hook".

"At any time you're free to roam the Versecore and it's infinite halls, if you get lost just ask a passer-by or the empty air and we can teleport you back to your room. I myself will always be here on the bridge, barring the next few hours, and you should feel welcome to drop in any time. Yhelth, if you swing by we can fire up the astral divini-caster and prove to your people once and for all that the pantheon exists. Maybe. Feeling lucky?"

"We really do have something for everyone on board the ship. William, while we can't provide you with any equipment I'm sure our technicians could help with planning your new armor. Muse, I'm a huge fan of all of your work, but I'll fathom that you haven't read the original barsoomian glacial eddas. Deck 6f, if you get curious. We have a gym, a library, a lab, firing ranges, hologram/tactigram/histogram decks and more dining facilities than you can conceive of without feeling full. Barring the whole 'fight for your life', thing, I can guarantee that this will be the most pleasant stay of your existences. Mr Hartigan, we can even generate a small moon if you feel at all out of place without a lunar influence".

"And, finally, just a few more specific conditions. Rook, while I can't prevent any of my crew from consenting to a potentially lethal game of chess, no games of any kind with the other contestants are allowed between matches. Ambassador, we have a few volunteer hosts for you while you stay, and feel free to ask for replacements if neural structure or lack of familiar organs becomes an issue. Captain Aero, because my first communications officer thought it would be hilarious, and I agreed, we've extended an offer to your ship's AI to inhabit your room's control circuits for the duration of the contest, we'll see if it gets back to us".

"Aaaand that about wraps it up." Said Erzanx, gesturing lazily to the doors behind the assembled cast, which slid open. Warm, friendly symbols glowed softly around the feet of each entrant, guiding them towards the doors that lead to their rooms. Before any could move, however, Erzanx straightened up and gave an apologetic cough.

"Oh, one more thing" Said Erzanx, looking for the first time something other than suavely cheerful or cheerfully suave "If you're defeated, which many of you will be, Dimensional Deathmatch will be preserving your very essences as promotional material for some supplementary, second-chance matches. We prefer to not to think of it as enslavement of the soul, but more like a generous redundancy program".

"The fine print's always a bugger, eh? Stay tuned" Said the towering alien, who then vanished entirely.

++++++++OH YEAH! BROADCAST OUT! AWESOME!!!!++++++++

Ultrajoe:
Right-the-o.

I'm going to call submissions closed as of now. Willofbob, if I find that your inclusion would bring the contest to even numbers, you can join. If not, I do apologize but you'll need to wait until next time. I haven't counted yet, but feel free to do so yourself and assuage your doubts.

I have a Warhammer tournament, and after it will announce a full cast list, the arenas for the game and the brackets. Such fun, yes?

I suppose it's too late for the updated version of my sheet?

ThreeWords:

Ultrajoe:
Right-the-o.

You can make changes to the original, sure, but lets say that friday is the final day for such changes, and they should only be minor.

Ultrajoe:

ThreeWords:

Ultrajoe:
Right-the-o.

You can make changes to the original, sure, but lets say that friday is the final day for such changes, and they should only be minor.

Lovely intro. When should we expect to see the bracket? I'm literally itching for my first fight, its quite uncomfortable.

I'd personally like to know who you have chosen to judge this fair contest. Also whatever joke or quip you tried to make about a conversation between Tips' character and my own went over my head or under my feet; very likely the latter.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked