The Western Frontier: An Episodic, Schizotech Sci-Fi RP (Started)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The Western Frontier: An Episodic, Schizotech Sci-Fi RP

Nerin stood, motionless, his arms tightly crossed as he gazed towards the bright electrical pulses that shot around the ship as it entered hyperspace. A cold, uncaring look filled his eyes as he each individual spark collided against the plate glass, dissipating into nothingness upon impact. A loud crackle emitted from the rear of the vessel as the engines powered up, echoing throughout the ship's hull as it prepared to launch. It was an unusual, almost mesmerizing display, but Nerin was accustom to it all, no longer finding it the slightest bit enticing. He listened to crackle that echoed off the glass pane, but through the disorganized static, he heard another, even more familiar noise, his focus suddenly shifting from the void towards the pair of metallic feet stepping behind him, all too aware of who they belonged to.

"So, what's up?" Nerin asked, his eyes still gazing out towards the void. The reply he had excepted did not come immediately, which made him somewhat uneasy, only showing in the sudden stiffness of his posture.

"Nothing out of the ordinary." The man behind him finally answered. "Those rookies who phoned in for the job are waiting for us at Tanra Sta-"

"Hey, Gira, my good friend," Nerin interrupted, his voice shockingly calm despite the nature of the nest words to exit his mouth, "remind me again, why in the bloody hell are we recruiting?"

"Because Nerin, on our last bounty everyone other than us and Hiener got killed in that fucking explosion! That one you blindly drove us in to!"

"That's not true, Haar's still aliv-."

"He's in the goddamn hospital, idiot, he lost both his legs and an arm! The fact the doctors are still able to patch him up with cybernetics is nothing short of a miracle!" Gira paused, placing a hand on his forehead, then continued, "Not that he's our problem anymore, he quit. He said the whole business was too risky for someone about to get married."

"Good for him. He's gonna be one of the few who leave this business not in a bloody casket." Nerin muttered, his eyes rolling at the thought. "Anyway, when are we picking up these newbies..."

There was a bright flash of light as the vessel fully entered hyperspace, launching itself forward through the glowing energy field at an alarming rate, suddenly vanishing from sight and from this very plane of existence. The duo's conversation continued within the confines of their vessel, but fell into silence mere moments later.

---------

In farthest region of the galaxy, in the farthest future imaginable, lies the Western Frontier, a lost portion of humanity surrounded on all sides by the threats that lurk in void and those that lie hidden underneath its own skin. Once a proud symbol of human expansion and a trade, thriving on the very edges of space deemed uninhabitable, this small grouping of systems now fights a never ending war on corruption and anarchy. Whole sectors of space are now controlled by pirates, murderers and the rest of their ilk, while the politicians openly speaking out against it are in truth powerless to oppose it.

In order to provide a defense against these threats, the government, private companies and police forces began to employ bounty hunters in order to bring these criminals to justice and protect their assets. Among all of these, Blackhearts carved out their domain in the system, founded by countless planetary governments and supported by even more. At their peak, they bolstered over a hundred hunters, but those days are long past, and there numbers have dwindled dramatically since its founding ten years ago, as only three of the original founders remain. However, the stubborn trio are unwilling to allow their business to sink so easily, and have once more opened their doors to recruitment.

The pay's lousy, the work's dangerous, and one rarely stays in the same spot for long, but hey, it's a living...

- - - -The Western Frontier, Important Notes- - - -

- - - - Sheet Format/Example- - - -

- - - - Rules - - - -

1) Be respectful of the GM and other players
2) No Godmodding, Trenchcoating or mary sueing.
3) If I kill you off don't bitch about it.
4) Don't argue with me.
5) Have fun.

---Accepted Sheets---

This sounds very awesome and I'd love to join. I cant make a sheet right now; its very later here; but I'll be sure to give you something tomarrow. I do have a question though: would a marksmen or gunslinger character be alright? I ask because you said in OP that guns aren't as widely used as knifes and swords.

---Accepted Sheets---

Cont.

This RP sounds very interesting, and I haven't played one in a while.
I'd like to join, but I fear you may see the character I have in mind as one of those "trenchcoats", seeing as I want to go with a bit of a mysterious/faceless character.

Sounds good. Hope revolvers and pump-action shotguns are primitive enough for you.

You will be getting his Bio shortly.

Greyfox105:
This RP sounds very interesting, and I haven't played one in a while.
I'd like to join, but I fear you may see the character I have in mind as one of those "trenchcoats", seeing as I want to go with a bit of a mysterious/faceless character.

I figure if s/he was a Byronic hero, in addition to being mysterious and shadowy, it could work quite well. Their "faceless" nature could be used to hide character depths that could be later explored, perhaps?

And keep in mind, this is more or less a Western in space, so some cliches are excusable and possibly encouraged.

Nukey:
I figure if s/he was a Byronic hero, in addition to being mysterious and shadowy, it could work quite well. Their "faceless" nature could be used to hide character depths that could be later explored, perhaps?

And keep in mind, this is more or less a Western in space, so some cliches are excusable and possibly encouraged.

Well, I guess some of those traits would doubtless apply.
But I mean mysterious to the point of being silent to the point of being a mute unless necessary (which is unfortunately like me in real life), and concealing details of identity mainly by the use of obscuring clothes (such as an armoured suit).
Which seems a bit over the top, really...
But at least I tend to compensate by having my characters generally suck or having a host of weaknesses, unlike some people I've RPed with >.>
If you want, you can PM me an I can give yo a better idea of what I have in mind for a character, and I could give an example. One which I'm pretty much planning to base my character on >.>

@Nukey: Is there any complaints, comments or concerns that you have with my char?

Okay, there is my somewhat questionable character sheet.
Damn, my character seems at first glance like it will be such a Mary Sue/Gary Stu >.>
And all because of the lack of personal data >.>
Oh well, bed time now, I'll probably be going out early tomorrow >.>
Edit: Expanded on some details, since my character sheet seemed to be rather short.
Last minute edit: Slight update to the appearance, only change is colour of armour/clothing.

Malyc:
@Nukey: Is there any complaints, comments or concerns that you have with my char?

No, not really. Everything looks pretty solid right now.

I'm going to be "judging" the sheets on Tuesday, I think, so until then you're free to make any edits you want.

Nukey:

Malyc:

No, not really. Everything looks pretty solid right now.

I'm going to be "judging" the sheets on Tuesday, I think, so until then you're free to make any edits you want.

Okie dokie!

Oh can I play, first RP here?

Character is as follows

EDIT-1

EDIT 1: reworded the appearance.
EDIT 2: added onto home world. Will add more details about the ranches soon.
EDIT 3: Changed the sidearm from revolver to Sawed-off. Added images for your viewing pleasure

I spent way too long on this, probably because I absolutely love the concept.
I hope I don't come across as too much of a Mary Sue, I know I fill the role of cliched katana user, but the setting just screamed for a samurai cowboy.

If being an expert swordsman and gunslinger is too much, let me know and I'll remove some aspects.

I welcome any constructive criticism.

Broken Orange:
mind if I resend my old sheet? I was so proud of that guy.

Just resend me the bio and repost the sheet.

Just edited my last post and bio should be incoming. If i can find it...

Made some revisions and additions, mostly regarding his homeworld.

Any and all feedback is welcome. ^^

Mortis Nuncius:

A few of your letters are being displayed as weird characters.

Mortis Nuncius:

All very, very good, although you might want to edit out those weird symbols by rewriting the hyphens and the apostrophes. I could just do that latter once I compile everything into a master list of sheets, though, so no worries if you don't/can't.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

@Nukey:
@JokerboyJordan:

Alright, weird symbols should be gone. ^^

Why would I want to make a character if I couldn't give him/her/it a trenchcoat?
I'm kinda new to RP threads.

DVS BSTrD:
Why would I want to make a character if I couldn't give him/her/it a trenchcoat?
I'm kinda new to RP threads.

Just read this thread http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.116378-Escapist-role-playing-and-you .

It explains many common parts of role playing, better than I could :-P

Don't be afraid to ask any more questions though.

Made another edit, just added a little more detail to his weapons.

Mortis Nuncius:

Did you steal borrow my description for the ranchers hat? Just noticed how you used to have a cowboy hat and now it's not. Cool if I was a source of insperation.

Broken Orange:

Mortis Nuncius:

Did you steal borrow my description for the ranchers hat? Just noticed how you used to have a cowboy hat and now it's not. Cool if I was a source of insperation.

Yes, I hope you don't mind. Your description just brought up the point that the term "cowboy" may not have been quite as widely used of a term for the time period. ^^

Made some modifications and filled out the homeworld description some.

Mortis Nuncius:

Broken Orange:

Mortis Nuncius:

Yes, I hope you don't mind. Your description just brought up the point that the term "cowboy" may not have been quite as widely used of a term for the time period. ^^

Don't mind at all. It's humbling in a strange, small way.

@Nukey Would you like me to expand on my character's homeworld a bit more? I see everyone else doing it so I don't know if you want more than the paragraph I already wrote or what.

@Blue: I was only doing it because I intended to modify the char as i went. I don't think it's required, by any means.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked