The Super Mario Bros theme has been chosen to be added to the Library of Congress, the first piece of video game music to be included.

Super Mario Bros. Theme to Be Preserved in Library of Congress

If you grew up or even have a passing relationship with Nintendo, you know the Super Mario Bros theme. It is one of the most iconic pieces of video game music in history. The piece does a great job of setting the mood for the original game. Sure, nowadays we have soon-to-be classics like “Peaches” from the new movie, but the original theme has been a staple in the series for years. Such a famous composition deserves recognition. Luckily, the Library of Congress agrees: This year, Koji Kondo’s masterpiece the Super Mario Bros theme will be added to the National Recording Registry (via VGC). It is the very first time video game music has been chosen.

Recommended Videos

The registry has been around since 2002. It aims to include recordings that are “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States.” I mean, the game is from Japan. However, I believe it is so beloved the world over that it makes sense to include. I certainly hear the sped up version in my head when I am running late for work.

Over 600 other recordings have been preserved in the registry, and 25 were chosen to be added this year. The Super Mario Bros theme joins classics like Eurythmics’ “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This),” Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven,” and Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” at the Library of Congress. It has good company.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article It’s Official, Prime Video’s Fallout Is Getting a Season 2
Read Article Everything Coming to Fortnite for Star Wars Day 2024
Fortnite x Star Wars 2024 Logo
Read Article Remnant 2 Teases The Forgotten Kingdom DLC With Invoker Archetype Trailer
Remnant 2 The Forgotten Kingdom Cover
Related Content
Read Article It’s Official, Prime Video’s Fallout Is Getting a Season 2
Read Article Everything Coming to Fortnite for Star Wars Day 2024
Fortnite x Star Wars 2024 Logo
Read Article Remnant 2 Teases The Forgotten Kingdom DLC With Invoker Archetype Trailer
Remnant 2 The Forgotten Kingdom Cover
Author
Arthur Damian
Arthur Damian has been covering the video game industry for over ten years, and joined The Escapist in 2022. He is a huge fan of platformers, indies, and fighting games, and strives to cover them for The Escapist every chance he gets. Arthur received his Bachelor’s Degree in English from Brooklyn College in 2009. He is also the Editor-in-Chief over at That VideoGame Blog. When he isn’t writing, Arthur enjoys playing games on his Switch and PlayStation 5, and sings the praises of the greatest video game ever, Chrono Trigger, to anyone who will listen.