How Well Does Disney Speedstorm Run on the Steam Deck

Does Disney Speedstorm Work on The Steam Deck?

Disney Speedstorm is the latest entry into the battle kart genre, currently available in Early Access on Steam. It’s set in the Disney universe, utilizing classic characters and themes to create a compelling set of tracks. Disney Speedstorm is the kind of game that seems perfect to play a few races here and there on the Steam Deck, but its current status is unverified.

Recommended Videos

So, How Well Does Disney Speedstorm Run on Steam Deck?

Having played it first on my PC, it’s a very graphically impressive game. It features high quality characters, karts, and tracks. Some tracks, like the one based on Pirates of the Caribbean, have tons of environmental effects going off in addition to the action among the racers. Considering that, I wasn’t sure how well it would hold up on the Steam Deck.

After booting it up on the handheld and loading into a race with my boy Goofy, I can tell you that I was pretty damn impressed. It seems to be very well optimized, running without any noticeable issues in my time playing it on Steam Deck. 

As a benchmark, I tested a race on the Pirates of the Caribbean track, and even when the Kraken tentacle is slamming down and the cannonballs are going off as you race towards the finish line, I didn’t notice the Steam Deck dropping the ball.

I even tried suspending the game during a race, went and made lunch, then came back, resumed and was back in the action without running into any issues. The seamlessness of it all is great to see.

I suspect that it will very quickly be upgraded to the ‘plays great on Steam Deck’ status, as it really does deserve it. From navigating the menus to loading into races, everything performed as well as it did on PC, and it still looked excellent on the Steam Deck screen. There’s enough screen real estate that you can keep track of what’s going on and win your races with no problems.

And that’s all you need to know about how well Disney Speedstorm runs on the Steam Deck. If you’re one of the growing number of people enjoying the Steam handheld and are interested in this game, I can give you the thumbs up!   

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article How to Get the GP-31 Grenade Pistol in Helldivers 2
GP-31 Grenade Pistol in Helldivers 2
Read Article How to Get the Tactical Assault Rifle in Fortnite Chapter 5 Season 2
Tactical Assault Rifle being aimed in Fortnite.
Read Article How to Get the Family Guy Ribbon in BitLife
An emoji of a father and his child on an orange background with the BitLife logo beneath it.
Related Content
Read Article How to Get the GP-31 Grenade Pistol in Helldivers 2
GP-31 Grenade Pistol in Helldivers 2
Read Article How to Get the Tactical Assault Rifle in Fortnite Chapter 5 Season 2
Tactical Assault Rifle being aimed in Fortnite.
Read Article How to Get the Family Guy Ribbon in BitLife
An emoji of a father and his child on an orange background with the BitLife logo beneath it.
Author
Alex Berry
Alex Berry has been a freelance contributor at The Escapist since January 2023. His coverage ranges from funny takes on the latest games to a whole bunch of guide content on such titles as Honkai: Star Rail, Genshin Impact, and various new games. Alex is a jack of all trades when it comes to games, playing almost every new title that shows promise. From RPGs to shooters, all the way through to sports games, he plays it all, although he does have a soft spot for turn-based RPGs having started out his gaming journey with a copy of Pokémon Red on the original Game Boy. Alex has a master's degree in Business and is fascinated by online game economies, often spending a lot of time finding ways to maximize wealth in these games (but he should really be doing that in real life instead).