A 41-year-old Konami employee was arrested for attempted murder in Japan after hitting his ex-boss in the head with a fire extinguisher. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Punished Snake

Konami Employee Hit His Ex-Boss in the Head with a Fire Extinguisher

A 41-year-old Konami employee has been arrested for attempted murder in Japan after hitting his 48-year-old ex-boss in the back of the head with a fire extinguisher, per Mainichi (via Genki and Siliconera translation). The Konami employee hit his former boss with the fire extinguisher at the office out of frustration with “power harassment,” and he apparently did intend to kill his boss. However, other employees restrained him, and the injured party went to the hospital, where he will recover.

Recommended Videos

In Japan, power harassment essentially consists of using authority to bully employees, and it’s enough of a problem that legislation was passed in the last few years to combat it. The attacking Konami employee has apparently yet to detail to authorities the ways his former boss exerted power harassment over him, but he had gone to Konami HR in the past to report the problem. However, Konami ultimately rejected that there was a problem but opted in 2020 to send the employee to a new team where he would not answer to that boss anymore.

So, this is a messy situation where it seems potentially several people behaved badly. As a general rule, you shouldn’t try to murder someone with a fire extinguisher, even if it’s at the company that made Metal Gear Survive. You also shouldn’t (allegedly) abuse your authority to make other people feel lesser. Communication is the answer. Don’t make violence. Make a bunch of Silent Hill and maybe Metal Gear and Castlevania games instead.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Confirms Entei as Next Legendary Pokemon Players Can Catch
Image of Entei in front of a fiery background, with the Pokemon Sleep logo in the corner
Read Article Critical Role Announces Candela Obscura Live Show & When Tickets Go on Sale
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Related Content
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Confirms Entei as Next Legendary Pokemon Players Can Catch
Image of Entei in front of a fiery background, with the Pokemon Sleep logo in the corner
Read Article Critical Role Announces Candela Obscura Live Show & When Tickets Go on Sale
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.