Culture RPG (Scifi- Ultratech) Interest Thread

Pages PREV 1 2

Glados? I think you must be mistaken. After all, the ships name is Gently Lifting Amoral Devils Onwards to Sublimation, and previously was called the 'Tell That Fucker He Made My List'. No psychotic Minotaur AI's here. Whats your character called again?

Couple things;

The Glados backronym was kind of jarring.

Having more than 1 Gridfire weapon would be pointless. The only thing that could withstand Gridfire would be that which can survive the big bang. It's the strongest weapon they have, but the time it takes to open a Gridfire incursion makes it something strategic, to be used against slow or immobile targets. And the Impulsers are bulky. We've never seen an ROU carrying one.

I like the descriptions, so thanks for fleshing that out. I think we should add 'Construction Capabilities' to the list, because the drones don't really fit under weapons.

Also, a couple of people have selected ROU's, so here's a sketch of the ROU classes.

Okay, I've never read any Culture books (though now I want to), but how about...

Howzzat? Hope I didn't get too much wrong.

also, my Capcha was "Come along, Pond"

it seems... appropriate somehow.

One more thing- 550 kilolights is too fast. They top out at around 200.

And the guy's name is close to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diziet_Sma
Maybe think of another one.

willofbob:
Okay, I've never read any Culture books (though now I want to), but how about...

Howzzat? Hope I didn't get too much wrong.

also, my Capcha was "Come along, Pond"

it seems... appropriate somehow.

Sorry for the infodump, :P.
The books are all standalone stories set in the same universe. They can be read in any order, but I always recommend Player of Games as the first one.

You have the physiology down, which is neat. I made up that data storage number, I don't know how much the Culture personal computers would hold. But my advice; way up there.

I want to ask how involved he is. He doesn't have to be part of Contact, or the Culture at all (one could live with the Morthanveld or other Involved's and get technology from them). He could consider himself, say, 20% Culture and interact with them only at the fringes, being carried around on expeditions because the Minds find him useful.

Non-sapient ships are - if not nonexistent - vanishingly rare. Even shuttles and FTL-enabled modules tend to have non-Mind sapient AIs; hell, even the suits are sapient Culture citizens. So any request for a non-thinking vessel is going to trigger a cascade of red flags.

The "penalty" for choosing to leave the Culture on a permanent basis is the knowledge that Contact will probably be keeping an eye on you, specifically to ensure that you don't try using Culture tech to set yourself up as a god-king on some primitive planet, although they're unlikely to interfere with anything else you might choose to do.

technical specifications altered as requested.

Is the name really that similar? They look completely different to me.

The drone's name. Skaffen-Amtiskaw.

corrections made:

Better? Worse?

Asclepion:
The drone's name. Skaffen-Amtiskaw.

Well, if you had said that in the first place, we could have avoided this confusion rather than waste precious pixels on me skim-reading a wiki article about Dziet Sma.

I'll chop about his last name a bit. Thought it sounded familiar from somewhere . . .

Ok, after finishing use of weapons I have been embodied with a drive to actually get off my ass and sink my teeth into this, expect my sheet sometime tonight, my character will most likely be a drone. Happy Trails.

What do you think?

The Clown:

What do you think?

I'm not sure that drones would bother with memoryform. If you want a machine that re-shapes at will, they use EDust for that. The drones can just turn invisible with their fields. Memoryforms seem something more for biologicals, ie those who don't have Effectors, nanomissiles, protective- and cutting-fields, knife-missiles, supersonic speed and short-range FTL in a package smaller than your head.

And they couldn't just have a Mind take it around? It would still be overseen by the rest of Contact. Just because there's no scarcity doesn't mean they won't try everything reasonable to prevent wasting resources. Better than a VFP without a Mind (which would just be seen as an incomplete ship) would be a small module, 90% engine, with no life support but able to rapidly fabricate one. And except for short-range craft like modules and lifeboats and insystem pleasure yachts, a personal ship is a very unusual request to make in the Culture.

Here's an aura field reference. http://zrajm.org/nerd/drone_colours.html

willofbob:
corrections made:

Better? Worse?

Good :D If I notice anything else, I'll tell you.

---

Remember: The Culture is very different to the typical futureverse we see in televised sci-fi or films. Culture ships are citizens with personalities and free will, considered as equal to other people as the great difference in power and intelligence allow.

There are all manner of GCU's and Systems Vehicles that go around exploring, often with massive populations. If the Mind is a Contact asset, the ship will be in uncharted space. Someone asking a Mind for a personal transport with the speed or range capable of getting outside the stellar community (which is still a volume encompassing thousands of cubic lightyears and hundreds of thousands of stars) especially if he also wants it with systems capable of griefing planets, will be met with "Could you please tell me exactly why you need this?" The Mind isn't going to let you fuck up someone's developing civilization just because you want to. Not without first monitoring it to determine the best course of action.

Of course, you could try telling a ship what to do, but I don't think it would get very far.

Asclepion:
[quote="The Clown" post="540.378177.15132155"]

What do you think?

I'm not sure that drones would bother with memoryform. If you want a machine that re-shapes at will, they use EDust for that. The drones can just turn invisible with their fields. Memoryforms seem something more for biologicals, ie those who don't have Effectors, nanomissiles, protective- and cutting-fields, knife-missiles, supersonic speed and short-range FTL in a package smaller than your head.

And they couldn't just have a Mind take it around? It would still be overseen by the rest of Contact. Just because there's no scarcity doesn't mean they won't try everything reasonable to prevent wasting resources. Better than a VFP without a Mind (which would just be seen as an incomplete ship) would be a small module, 90% engine, with no life support but able to rapidly fabricate one. And except for short-range craft like modules and lifeboats and insystem pleasure yachts, a personal ship is a very unusual request to make in the Culture.

I could Change it to EDust but I prefer memoryfoam as a tech, just because I cxan't help but associate EDust with the terror weapon in windward. With the ship.... yeah I will change to a module and I might upgrade my tech a little, most of the tech you've said has been left out for personal touches but I will edit to fit.

What do you think now?

Bumpedy bump, come on people.

I suspect that the idea of player controlled ships is flawed; there will be almost no way to avoid each and every player going his own way. This may not sound to bad, but I have seen many a game die of too much options.

In my opinion, we should limit players to being on board a GM controlled ship, or put them down on-planet amongst a low-tech civilisation.

Name: Masaq'-sa Sharrow Liet-Kynes Mathra dam Giert

Type: Pan human, with all the standard Culture upgrades; drug glands, neural lace, and assorted biological tweaks that make her that little bit more able to enjoy life.

Title: Sharrow likes to write poetry. She also takes an interest in physics, regardless of how far ahead the Minds are. Sometimes her two interests come together; she has enjoyed minor celebrity due to the popularity among some drones of her abstract field-haikus.

Equipment: Sharrow wears a onesuit, capable of forming any set of clothing on demand. On her wrist, and synced with her neural lace, she carries a watch-shaped drone-grade intelligence that serves as her companion, personal assistant, terminal and physics teacher.
She is reasonably sure she can get anything else she needs on demand.

Bio/History: *Loading, please wait*

"The Shining One was smiling and his mind open wide; and Nodonn in despair knew that it had all been planned and he allowed to do his utmost, so that those watching would receive the final affirmation."

It's interesting how this quote, from a completely different series, fits so damned well.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked