The Fifth Crusade (Medieval Battles, Religion and Magic)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Game Thread- http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.378952-The-Fifth-Crusade-Game-Thread

The forces of Christendom had amassed to regain the holy city of Jerusalem back to the loving embrace of the church and away from the Muslim infidels. The Pope had promised indulgences to every good Christian that would help the cause, and with that he convinced the powerful Hungarian King to amass a massive army of over thirty thousand men, and the duke of Austria to amass an army - together with forces from the Dutch lowlands and contributions from Genoa for the transportation of the troops.

The successful siege of Jerusalem one hundred and fifty years ago.

The goal was simple - conquer Jerusalem.

-Heroic Kings always look better as they stare out in the distance. Richard the Lionheart, King of England

-Our current Hungarian leader King, Andrei the Second in the holy land. Not as brave as Richard

Some of the forces of the crusade attacked Egypt on another front from the west, launching a siege on Damietta. After the successful siege the crusader forces marched on down the Nile to the grand city of Cairo. They believed that if they were to take the city, then the Egyptian kingdom would relinquish its grasp on Jerusalem and make ever further concessions. Unfortunately for you, they lost.
You, my dear friends, were members of the Fifth holy Crusade. Hungarian, Austrian, Dutch, Italian, French or holy Knight, you were all united in your love of Christ and your desire to return to Jerusalem and reclaim it once more. All of you had a common goal, all except a few. Men embroiled in the dark arts, convinced that more knowledge is to be gained from the foray into Muslim lands participated in the crusade as well, whether they may be noblemen dabbling with the dark arts of rich merchantmen casting mundane curses. Something was amiss - why would the King lead the crusade down the Nile, when his other forces were besieging Jerusalem?
You were separated from the main force which was captured and now awaits ransom money to change hands. One of the members of the group is an old scholar that with the help of gold managed to hire a local guide, an eager Coptic Christian to lead you to the northern coast and back to your home. Even though you fear your life you are certain that if you stay hidden and keep walking you will reach the northern coast of Egypt - though you begin to wonder why the sun sets to your right every night.

This is where we end the exposition and discuss the mechanics

This is a group of the remnants of the Fifth Crusade. To make things simpler, we will magically speak the same language or if you'd like to we could all speak our own tongues and have some players who are bilingual or trilingual, but you better have a damn good reason why you speak more than one language

This RP takes place around 1215 Anno Domino. Plate armor isn't very developed or widespread as you might think and Christendom is mighty embarrassed after the last pitiful excuse of a crusade which ended with the sacking of Constantinople.

You will play as a Knight, a Soldier, and a Peasant or as others that would accompany the crusade, perhaps on their own pilgrimage of any sort.

-A religious order has both its Pilgrims and its holy warriors, you can play as both!

Knights - Highly skilled trained men in suits of plate armor or chain-mail. Your choice is armor is:
A Breastplate and shoulder-plates, chain armor, a proper helmet and a lovely kite shield.

-Lovely modern medieval weaponry... What do you mean I can't bring my sword to the mall?

They are trained with the sword and the spear. While mounted they are killing machines and their charge is deadly as long as they don't face a wall of spears. Their effectiveness drops while they are on foot, but they can still best many of the enemy's troops with superior equipment and abilities.

Knights are mostly hereditary owners of land. Those that were not knights yet served in the military on horseback fully armored and capable were called "men-at-arms".

Soldier - These are men serving under a lord as soldiers, trained and paid for by the lord to guard his fief. Some might be professional soldiers that had seen much combat, even going as far as founding their own mercenary band and offering their services to the highest bidder.

Archers recruited by the King of England in his excursion to France, soldiers carrying long-bows ready to unload their bows on the advancing French knights.

An example of proper armor one might use as a soldier. Notice only some key parts are steel and that the helmet itself is only a cap and does not cover all of the user's face. A spear is in the picture.

They are mostly trained with a sword, spear or glaive. Some are trained with bows or crossbows, and carry them with them.

These men might go to the crusade because they flock to the cross, because they are tied to a marching army of a lord they serve, because they are a member of a mercenary band hired by a rich lord.

Peasant/Other -

-Delicious bread made by peasants.

Most of the peasants in the crusade were pilgrims hoping to return to the holy land under the protection of an army. Some might be travelling with the army and supplying it with food, as a cook or a hunter gathering supplies in the local area as the army marches on.
Untrained in most forms of combat, a peasant will protect himself with his tools of his trade, and as such a hunter will use his long-bow. Don't expect to have any armor or proper training in this department.
There were also scholars, scribes, clergymen and merchants going and joining the crusade for either pilgrimage, their role or greed. Some even have a secret they do not wish to uncover, and they hope the intruding on Muslim lands might give them access to old knowledge from the far east. Alchemy and Witchcraft await those that know where to look and exploit it.
You won't have much in terms of combat skills, though you will be able to either create potions or work your magic later on. You will have the advantage of being multilingual to a degree if you are not a mere peasant and some connection or gold on your person.

This sounds like an interesting concept, I'll try and put up a sheet later today. Though I do have some questions:

a) If the "everyone talks the same language option" is picked, how will this be explained in-game (beyond "because magic")?

b) Do you have a set end-goal in mind, or will it be based on what the players do?

VonKlaw:
This sounds like an interesting concept, I'll try and put up a sheet later today. Though I do have some questions:

a) If the "everyone talks the same language option" is picked, how will this be explained in-game (beyond "because magic")?

b) Do you have a set end-goal in mind, or will it be based on what the players do?

A) Because magic is always a valid option. Why do you see proper English whenever the setting is medieval or futuristic and not a different kind of English? Where had the new languages gone to? Clockwork Orange pulled it off well.

There are two routes this can go in, depending on how well you preform and what choices you make. Possible areas we can travel to include the holy land, Sudan, or Cyprus.

Sounds neat, I'll have a sheet up tomorrow, too late tonight to make one.

@Iron: Just a few questions.

1) Are we presently armed?

2) Alchemy was a legal and popular profession in the Medieval period. Is this being overlooked?

3) Knights endured years of training in heavy armor to the point where they could be just as deadly on the ground as on horseback. A full suit of plate armor would only weigh around 60 lbs (27 kilos), and is more evenly distributed then the weight today's modern infantry carries.

It would certainly be uncomfortable to wear, but a knight in armor is still a lethal force to contend with. Is this also being overlooked?

RaNDM G:

@Iron: Just a few questions.

1) Are we presently armed?

2) Alchemy was a legal and popular profession in the Medieval period. Is this being overlooked?

3) Knights endured years of training in heavy armor to the point where they could be just as deadly on the ground as on horseback. A full suit of plate armor would only weigh around 60 lbs (27 kilos), and is more evenly distributed then the weight today's modern infantry carries.

It would certainly be uncomfortable to wear, but a knight in armor is still a lethal force to contend with. Is this also being overlooked?

I added "equipment" in the character sheet template.
Your bio has plenty of logical and historical problems in it. Can you know 4 languages? (Why would you know English?).

You can't be an alchemist and a soldier. Soldiers are either indebted to a lord and his fief or are mercenaries drawn to the cross (Or mercenaries hired by a lord or King).

Alchemy is a forbidden art - At the time it was only accessible in Latin as translations of Muslim books made their way to Europe. The church didn't condemn the practice but only scholars and men of the cloth had access and were aware of alchemy. Your character shouldn't even know the thing exists, let alone be a member of a guild!

I suggest you make another character and pay closer attention to his appearance. A picture is always appreciated. Your character is too accomplished and it is hard to imagine he can do all of those things.

The Moors were in North Africa. There were many Muslim Pirates there. They enslaved Christians that they captured - they ran a large slave trade (Also with slaves from the African tribes).
To answer your question:
1) Yes we are.
2)Not yet it's not. It is known and quite widespread in Muslim lands, but it only came to Europe a century ago. The Fifth Crusade was in 1220-ish.
3) Yes I know that, but if you're surrounded by more than a few men without your back to the wall you will get thrown to the ground and become as helpless as a turtle on its back. Knights fight effectively from their horse, and without a warhorse most of your advantage is lost. You are a much better swordsman than most fresh soldiers, but plate armor is hard to carry and use in the desert.

So, would you be opposed to a wandering Muslim traveling just for the hell of traveling that runs into these guys? And don't give me the "convert or die" crap, despite it being the crusades, it was alot like the south and slaves being they liked individuals, but viewed the race as less than human. More than a few records and journals flat out say that they preferred the Muslims to home and the church.

@Iron

Interested, just a few questions:

Were any poachers/criminals given an choice to join the Crusades or face punishment?
Would you mind having a Welshman aboard?

Redryhno:
So, would you be opposed to a wandering Muslim traveling just for the hell of traveling that runs into these guys? And don't give me the "convert or die" crap, despite it being the crusades, it was alot like the south and slaves being they liked individuals, but viewed the race as less than human. More than a few records and journals flat out say that they preferred the Muslims to home and the church.

Travelling for the hell of travelling does sound like a good motive for travelling... :-)
I will think about it, but here are my problems with the idea:
I have a coptic christian NPC guide. I can dispose of him more easily if you are already familiar with the area, but with the added word of "travelling" I will assume you are not Egyptian or local. Perhaps you come from the great city of Baghdad?
If he going to be in the soldier class, the peasant class... What kind of class? Will he be familiar with alchemy? It's more widespread in the Muslim world.
What equipment is he going to carry?
What language is he going to speak? Where did he learn to speak any of the European languages? He has to be at least bilingual to pass. If you are to be a part of the group you will be introduced in the first post as the group will encounter you - alone or travelling in another group, we can decide upon the details between ourselves, if your character is accepted.

That's about all. If we can work these things out we could let a Muslim in, though I assure you the others will be suspicious of you.

Curiosity has been slightly piqued; I'll try and find time to do some research, see if I can't come up with a character that would be interesting to play.

Out of curiosity, how powerful would alchemy/black arts be, if used correctly? Would we be able to bend someone's mind to our every whim, or would we just be stuck healing warts?

Terratina.:
@Iron

Interested, just a few questions:

Were any poachers/criminals given an choice to join the Crusades or face punishment?
Would you mind having a Welshman aboard?

As far as I can tell, the English didn't have much to do with this crusade. The closest is either being Dutch or Flemish. You COULD be a member of one of the knight orders, but you wanted to be a peasant(Poacher), i.e. a bowman.
Question: Would you be a member of a mercenary band?
If you are Welsh, could you make an excuse why would anybody hire you for the cruse, living on a different isle and all that?
Perhaps you wanted to join the cross, but travelling alone was expensive and dangerous.
If you are forced into service, then it means that an English/Welsh nobleman caught you and sold you off... To be frank, there is little incentive in letting a criminal have his weapons, y'know?
Come back with more suggestions after you've considered mine.
I like poachers, nonetheless. You could have been a gamekeeper tagging along with one of the noblemen there, but you couldn't be Welsh if that's the case.

Pappytech:
Curiosity has been slightly piqued; I'll try and find time to do some research, see if I can't come up with a character that would be interesting to play.

Out of curiosity, how powerful would alchemy/black arts be, if used correctly? Would we be able to bend someone's mind to our every whim, or would we just be stuck healing warts?

Alchemy is... Alchemy. It's mostly centered about healing one self and enhancing their physical attributes for a few hours/days. The Black Arts, however, can be much more versatile, though almost none of you know of them in Europe. Because... They're Black.

Aww, just I know me some Medieval Wales. Eh well, at least Wales was in the hands of the Welsh 'round 1270. Sorry, I'm gonna have to sit this one out, because I'm already doing two RPs along with college and this was a little flight of fancy. I like creating character sheets. Hope this one goes well though.

Well then since the idea wasn't rejected outright, here we go. And I raise suspicion in the real world, I think I can handle it here

I might put down something in a minute.

Redryhno:
Well then since the idea wasn't rejected outright, here we go. And I raise suspicion in the real world, I think I can handle it here

I am still somewhat unconvinced he would be picked up by the group and added into the mix so easily.
Got any suggestion why you would be a member of the group as a fully armored Muslim Mameluke Knight? ---errr..... WAIT A MOMENT...
Egypt was ruled by the Mameluk Sultanate at the time! hmm... We can have fun with that. Log into your skype so we could sort this out.

TheIronRuler:
Your bio has plenty of logical and historical problems in it. Can you know 4 languages? (Why would you know English?).

He's a merchant and a sailor like his father. French is his native tongue. Considering Venice is the trade capital of the time, and much of that trade comes in from Arabia, he would be stupid not to pick up a few phrases.

I'll admit English is a big stretch, but let's just say he hates Englishmen enough to know some of the language. We're supposed to magically speak English anyway, so I have no idea why you think that's a bad thing.

TheIronRuler:
You can't be an alchemist and a soldier. Soldiers are either indebted to a lord and his fief or are mercenaries drawn to the cross (Or mercenaries hired by a lord or King).

(Or mercenaries hired by a lord or King)

Sure, let's go with that.

TheIronRuler:
Alchemy is a forbidden art - At the time it was only accessible in Latin as translations of Muslim books made their way to Europe. The church didn't condemn the practice but only scholars and men of the cloth had access and were aware of alchemy. Your character shouldn't even know the thing exists, let alone be a member of a guild!

Fine, I'll take out the guild part. He still could have picked it up as a hobby during his travels, considering HE'S A TRADER!

TheIronRuler:
I suggest you make another character and pay closer attention to his appearance. A picture is always appreciated. Your character is too accomplished and it is hard to imagine he can do all of those things.

Well, I'm sorry I can't draw. I gave the best physical description I could.

Considering he would be in his twenties and his father put him to work around seven or eight, that gives Adrien about fifteen years to travel and learn. It's not like he did it all at once. His experience spans most of his life.

TheIronRuler:
The Moors were in North Africa. There were many Muslim Pirates there. They enslaved Christians that they captured - they ran a large slave trade (Also with slaves from the African tribes).

Which is why being indebted to them is a bad thing (ie: the reason why Adrien joined military service in the first place). It's all about the motive.

TheIronRuler:
Not yet it's not. It is known and quite widespread in Muslim lands, but it only came to Europe a century ago. The Fifth Crusade was in 1270-ish.

I'm fine with that. A historical date wasn't given, so I assumed this was closer to 1400.

Aside from getting the time period wrong, I think I only made two errors. That was related to alchemy and knowing English. And you think knowing English is bad even though everyone is supposed to magically speak English, so that doesn't make any sense to me.

RaNDM G:

TheIronRuler:

He's a merchant and a sailor like his father. French is his native tongue. Considering Venice is the trade capital of the time, and much of that trade comes in from Arabia, he would be stupid not to pick up a few phrases.

I'll admit English is a big stretch, but let's just say he hates Englishmen enough to know some of the language. We're supposed to magically speak English anyway, so I have no idea why you think that's a bad thing.

TheIronRuler:

(Or mercenaries hired by a lord or King)

Sure, let's go with that.

TheIronRuler:

Fine, I'll take out the guild part. He still could have picked it up as a hobby during his travels, considering HE'S A TRADER!

TheIronRuler:

Well, I'm sorry I can't draw. I gave the best physical description I could.

Considering he would be in his twenties and his father put him to work around seven or eight, that gives Adrien about fifteen years to travel and learn. It's not like he did it all at once. His experience spans most of his life.

TheIronRuler:

Which is why being indebted to them is a bad thing (ie: the reason why Adrien joined military service in the first place). It's all about the motive.

TheIronRuler:
Not yet it's not. It is known and quite widespread in Muslim lands, but it only came to Europe a century ago. The Fifth Crusade was in 1270-ish.

I'm fine with that. A historical date wasn't given, so I assumed this was closer to 1400.

Aside from getting the time period wrong, I think I only made two errors. That was related to alchemy and knowing English. And you think knowing English is bad even though everyone is supposed to magically speak English, so that doesn't make any sense to me.

We can write in English as if we're speaking in a different language, no big deal. No English.

If you're a mercenary then you are most likely a member of a professional mercenary band led by a charismatic fellow.

Are you sure you want trader? He just seems to be proficient in a shitload of things (Knowing Arabic among other things).

I had trouble with his eyes. It just screamed anime for me and it bothered me somewhat.

Why would he get a loan from the Moors anyway? Loaning money is pretty not-Muslim. You're more likely to loan money from a Jew.

It's ok, I should have put it there, I just assumed people would know when the Fifth crusade was as I'm basing this RP on it.

Remember to specialize. That's all.

EDIT:
And there came a great voice
Out the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying: It is done.

EDIT: Seriously Escapist website...I get you don't want people backtracking but atleast give an option to delete doubleposts, k?

TheIronRuler:
We can write in English as if we're speaking in a different language, no big deal. No English.

That's fine with me then.

TheIronRuler:
If you're a mercenary then you are most likely a member of a professional mercenary band led by a charismatic fellow.

Also fine with me. Adrien isn't much of a leader.

TheIronRuler:
Are you sure you want trader? He just seems to be proficient in a shitload of things (Knowing Arabic among other things).

His specialties are bartering and navigating a ship, his minor skill is alchemy. In the middle of the desert without resources, trading is the only thing that counts right now. His other skills may become more useful later on, but for now an experienced merchant would be extremely valuable in acquiring food or water should the party come across nomads.

TheIronRuler:
I had trouble with his eyes. It just screamed anime for me and it bothered me somewhat.

This ain't Sailor Moon, Iron. Heterochromia just happens to be popular among twins.

TheIronRuler:
Why would he get a loan from the Moors anyway? Loaning money is pretty not-Muslim. You're more likely to loan money from a Jew.

Medieval Spain was practically dominated by Muslims. They would import spices, tapestries, gold, things of that nature from the Middle East. A valuable shipment lost at sea would definitely demand repayment of some kind.

TheIronRuler:
It's ok, I should have put it there, I just assumed people would know when the Fifth crusade was as I'm basing this RP on it.

No problem. I think we'll be fine as long as we stay as detailed as we can. I'll update the character sheet now.

RaNDM G:

TheIronRuler:

That's fine with me then.

TheIronRuler:

Also fine with me. Adrien isn't much of a leader.

TheIronRuler:

His specialties are sailing and bartering, his minor skill is alchemy. In the middle of the desert, trading is the only thing that counts right now. His other skills may become more useful later on, but for now a skilled trader would be extremely valuable in acquiring food or water should the party come across nomads.

TheIronRuler:

This ain't Sailor Moon, Iron. Heterochromia just happens to be popular among twins.

TheIronRuler:

Medieval Spain was practically dominated by Muslims. They would import spices, tapestries, gold, things of that nature from the Middle East. A valuable shipment lost at sea would definitely demand repayment of some kind.

TheIronRuler:

No problem. I think we'll be fine as long as we stay as detailed as we can. I'll update the character sheet now.

Re-upload the character sheet when you're done.

Wait, He is a soldier and a trader? See, this is why I opted for the class system. You can be a professional soldier or a merchantman, but you can't be both. Think about it a bit more and get back to me.

VonKlaw:

Let me know if this is okay.

German is widely spoken throughout the empire but there are many different dialects. They vary in small areas, mostly in spelling, but that won't bother you much. How much do you know Hungarian?
I like the bio. If you could get another player to play as the nobleman's son then it could be awesome. Otherwise we can either have him killed or captured and awaiting ransom.

Lose the "Endebted" in your class tab. Otherwise a good sheet, return it with updates after you're read my comments. Oh, one last think - Try and describe how the weapons look like, and perhaps describe your character more thoroughly , so I'll know how well you could write.

@Iron: *headdesk*

He's a merchant by experience and soldier is his class. Do you really think that's overpowered?

RaNDM G:
@Iron: *headdesk*

He's a merchant by experience and soldier is his class. Do you really think that's overpowered?

I'll see what other come up with. So far we've fixed all of the problems with your character, I just need some more time to think about it.

EDIT: Ok, ok. You're in the waiting list. I'll call you back when we start the game.

Okay. Just let me know if there's something you want me to change.

Let me know what you think.

Edited, sorry

So what do you think?

Also, if we are traveling north, then why is it a mystery that the sun sets to our left? That is west you know.

EDIT: Added mother into story line

Iron Ruler, if you're going to give people crap for making errors in their historical accuracy, maybe you should brush up on your own knowledge of the era. I'll admit my knowledge of the era of the Fifth Crusade isn't exactly categorical, but I do know for a fact that your statement that knights off horseback were ineffective is -wrong-. Anyone who actually has studied medieval combat and warfare even a little, or hell, even watched an episode of Game of Thrones knows that being in plate armor does not make you incredibly slow or ungainly. Admittedly, your natural dexterity and speed will be reduced, but well-crafted armor distributed the weight across the entire body and knights were trained for years to know how to move and fight in it. A knight in armor did not need help mounting a horse and many could even perform acrobatics like handstands in full armor. Further, it was a known medieval tactic for knights to dismount and fight as heavy infantry, especially during sieges.

Just throwing that out there.

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip.

I agree. Was it expected that during the siege of a city that all Knights would become useless?

Other than that I am still interested and shall make up a character. I will Edit and post it here when it is done if that is alright.

Tsurugi:

PrinceOfShapeir:
Iron Ruler, if you're going to give people crap for making errors in their historical accuracy, maybe you should brush up on your own knowledge of the era. I'll admit my knowledge of the era of the Fifth Crusade isn't exactly categorical, but I do know for a fact that your statement that knights off horseback were ineffective is -wrong-. Anyone who actually has studied medieval combat and warfare even a little, or hell, even watched an episode of Game of Thrones knows that being in plate armor does not make you incredibly slow or ungainly. Admittedly, your natural dexterity and speed will be reduced, but well-crafted armor distributed the weight across the entire body and knights were trained for years to know how to move and fight in it. A knight in armor did not need help mounting a horse and many could even perform acrobatics like handstands in full armor. Further, it was a known medieval tactic for knights to dismount and fight as heavy infantry, especially during sieges.

I agree. Was it expected that during the siege of a city that all Knights would become useless?

Other than that I am still interested and shall make up a character. I will Edit and post it here when it is done if that is alright.

Agree with the logic but sometimes, Gm's don't know or need convincing, I mean it's him running it.

PrinceOfShapeir:

Choosing to play a knight, sometimes, requires you to have some drawbacks, for the sake of balance. Indeed dismounting the horse and fighting on foot was a tactic used in battle, but if the terrain was unsuitable (muddy - or in this case, desert) the armor would only slow down the knight, see King Henry the Fifth's excursion to France and the quite epic battle near Calais.

Also, your tone was a bit on the offensive side. Got anything else to add?

Ryans Solution:

Let me know what you think.

Edited, sorry

Would you kindly specify where you came from? Austria or the Lowlands? Are you Austrian, Bavarian, Dutch or Flemish?
Why would you carry and English long-bow if you're from the Europe mainland?
Where was he informed of magic in the holy land and in what form?
The Bio was fine until the last few lines where you described how he learned new black magics between sieges. Just one, over Damietta. What black magic? I haven't introduced it yet. So far its just pagan rituals that doubly help anyone.
I'm having trouble with the languages you know. Where were you raised?

Fisher321:

So what do you think?

Also, if we are traveling north, then why is it a mystery that the sun sets to our left? That is west you know.

Huh, I'm retarded. Fixed.

Looks fine, best friend being his father is a bit strange.

Tsurugi:

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip.

Y'Know, Landless knights hoped that after the conquest of lands in the holy land they would be given fiefs for their service. Just reminding you of your options, if for example your char is the second or third son, and all of the inheritance goes directly to the first son.

About the sieges - Knights can fight on foot well, much better than any soldier, but they have low mobility and agility, so if they are surrounded by a group without the wall to their back their fate is sealed most of the time. The horses give the Knight one of his most feared weapons - his charge, and also the fear he instills in his enemy with his warhorse. You cannot stop a warhorse's charge without land fortifications (spikes). Without the warhorses the knight isn't as fast and lethal as he could. THIS is what I meant.

Why would he know English?

EDIT: Full Plate armor is going a bit too far. Plate armor is very expensive and rare, it's also rather experimental. I would expect to find a breastplate, but not a full on armor.

If it's for the sake of balance, fine, then say so, don't perpetuate the myth that knights were ineffective on foot. They were more effective than any other close-range fighter in the field on foot, owing to being both highly trained and well equipped. Let me see, other things to add.

Hunters would probably not use longbows, longbows are a weapon for soldiers, you needed to be highly trained and extremely strong to use the weapon, i.e. not a peasant

Quite frankly, pigeonholing characters into classes is never a good idea, particularly when you're telling them what gear they can and can't use. What if someone wants to play a knight that wears mail and favors a battle-axe? Not every knight could afford destriers and plate armor.

Also, it's not chainmail. You can call it Chain or you can call it Mail, but Chainmail is redundant.

And since you like your historical accuracy, here's another one for you.

The Fifth Crusade began in the year 1213, and ended in the year 1221, according to Wikipedia. I could verify it, but it's cited already. But full plate armor was not technology that existed at the time. Now, they would have had earlier armors - mail, scale, lamellar, and so on, but Plate armor would not exist for another century, and the Full Plate that most envision a Knight wearing would not exist until the latter half of the 14th century, about a hundred and fifty years after the Fifth Crusade. Even the comparatively primitive coat of plates - metal plates laid over mail to protect vitals - would not come into any kind of prominence for decades.

Oh, and the Escapist includes an edit button, there's no need to triple post.

PrinceOfShapeir:
If it's for the sake of balance, fine, then say so, don't perpetuate the myth that knights were ineffective on foot. They were more effective than any other close-range fighter in the field on foot, owing to being both highly trained and well equipped. Let me see, other things to add.

Hunters would probably not use longbows, longbows are a weapon for soldiers, you needed to be highly trained and extremely strong to use the weapon, i.e. not a peasant

Quite frankly, pigeonholing characters into classes is never a good idea, particularly when you're telling them what gear they can and can't use. What if someone wants to play a knight that wears mail and favors a battle-axe? Not every knight could afford destriers and plate armor.

Also, it's not chainmail. You can call it Chain or you can call it Mail, but Chainmail is redundant.

And since you like your historical accuracy, here's another one for you.

The Fifth Crusade began in the year 1213, and ended in the year 1221, according to Wikipedia. I could verify it, but it's cited already. But full plate armor was not technology that existed at the time. Now, they would have had earlier armors - mail, scale, lamellar, and so on, but Plate armor would not exist for another century, and the Full Plate that most envision a Knight wearing would not exist until the latter half of the 14th century, about a hundred and fifty years after the Fifth Crusade. Even the comparatively primitive coat of plates - metal plates laid over mail to protect vitals - would not come into any kind of prominence for decades.

Oh, and the Escapist includes an edit button, there's no need to triple post.

I fixed that date fuck-up earlier, it was indeed between 1210-1220ish.

Longbows are in fact something hunters were trained in using since the tender age of 6. It was prominent in England and in fact King Henry the Fifth recruited peasant hunters for his army as long-bowmen - he had more peasants in his army than actual knights, and he still defeated the French knights.
Aye, yes, but I do offer armor like this:
Knight - Heavy/Medium - Plate armor was indeed not very widespread and knights weren't like the gothic knights we like to envision. However there existed such armor and it was bloody expensive.
Soldier- Medium/Light - Either Mail, little armor coverage or simple leather and padding.
Other/Peasant- Light/None - Leather and padding, but I don't expect any scholars to be carrying armor around.
The class system is in place so that one person would not be proficient in too many weapons/professions and overshadow others. You sacrifice combat poweress for the privilege of knowing of the dark arts and alchemy and being multilingual. Noblemen Knights can also know Latin and some might dabble in the dark arts, but they will obviously concentrate more on combat.
I know not all knights could afford the best equipment. I didn't say that you have to use a sword to be a knight or have a spear to be a soldier, these were just suggestions. Soldiers I expect to be able to operate a short-bow or at the very least a crossbow. I don't see Knights using bows much, but they might carry a crossbow around.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked