In Her Image: a Pokémon RP

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 21 NEXT

Remy didn't like where this was going. Looking past Daria at Lee, he'd try and contain the situation.

"Hey man, I don't think this is working. You two are obviously at opposite spectrums of trainerdom and bickering about it won't help. How about you agree to disagree and leave it at that, hmm?"

"Hey man, I don't think this is working. You two are obviously at opposite spectrums of trainerdom and bickering about it won't help. How about you agree to disagree and leave it at that, hmm?"

'well I don't see why she is so angry at me, I merely said that aggression isn't always the best plan, which is true. She accused me of believing in my pokemon, not only a insult but also wrong' lee looked back at daria 'I am going to be go outside and get ready for a pokemon battle, your choice if you come' Lee then left and waited outside the building holding duskull's pokeball.

"Rupert? Are you in there?"

For a minute it seemed that Rupert was in fact not in the blue corner's tunnel, and he was certainly nowhere to be seen in the ring. Before anyone could get worried about yet another match with a missing contestant, however, steps were heard in the tunnel. Rupert half-ran out of the tunnel, still dressed in his great big coat no less, into his designated corner. He was terribly out of breath.

"Huff... I... puff... I-I'm here."

A rather irritated tournament official had found him in front of the computer terminal just minutes before the match. Rupert was supposed to have been standing ready for the match and people had apparently been looking for him. Having completely lost all track of time he tried to apologize, but was interrupted as the official insisted that he hurry to the ring immediately. And so here he was. Surrounded by a crowd with a thousand eyes, each of which felt like a red-hot needle piercing him. Oh god; in his last minute preparations and hurry Rupert had completely forgotten about the sheer amount of people that would be watching him, judging him. The finals would probably even be televised, so even the people back in Lavender Town would be watching. He had originally agreed to join this tournament to appease them. Rupert tried to push his social phobia back as he had now realized that battling to appease others wasn't a good enough reason to fight.

They don't matter, Rupert. None of the people here matter. They might as well not be here so just ignore them. All that matters is that you do right by your team. The only entities that matter in this ring is Team Rupert... and Team Tom.

With that Rupert finally looked up to the red corner, at Tom. The bespectacled boy was grinning, seemingly pleased that his opponent had showed up. Rupert still didn't know how he felt about fighting Tom, but he wasn't going to hold back. Throwing off the heavy coat, revealing the two lone plain pokeballs attached to his belt, Rupert wasted no time in picking one out and throwing it into the ring. The red light that sprang from it materialized into a small brown figure. The Cubone slowly raised it's masked head, attentively taking in the foreign surroundings and the cheering crowd. It's gaze finally came to a stop at Rupert, and trainer and pokemon simply looked into each others eyes for a moment. It almost seemed as if they shared an intimate moment.
Finally, Cubone nodded approvingly and turned to face it's opponent, bone club at the ready, and Rupert couldn't help but smile as he knew that Cubone did under it's skull mask.

"Okay, let's do this."

"CUBONE!"

Caleb watched as his opponent walked away, being followed by his butler.

"Hmph. How arrogant a fool can you be Nicholas, your foolhardy nature, is what has earned you the disdain of fellow noblemen and noblewomen. Despite the apparent rivalry between our two houses; I at least tried to show compassion and kindness towards you. If it takes your defeat it battle to have you realise this fact, then so be it." Caleb thought to himself, a look of calm anger appeared on his face, annoyed that such a loathsome individual was to be his opponent. He soon returned to watching the next proper bout, as the one between Kayla Denit and Matt Seras, was cancelled due to Miss Denit not being available.

"Hmph. I wonder what happened to the poor girl?" He asked himself, as Rupert brought out a Cubone.

"Okay, let's do this."

"CUBONE!"

"Heh! I love your spirit today Rupert!"

great. I was hoping he'd use haunter first. Well, I'd better save Kusari for it. Trapic can't do much against it anyway. I need him as a tank for my plan anyway.

"Alright! Let's go Kalmia!"

Tom threw out a pokeball that burst open with a green bird like symbol. As the symbol faded it left behind the houndoom.

"HOUNDOOM!"

"Let's make this a good battle Rupert!"

"HOUNDOOM!"

"Let's make this a good battle Rupert!"

As Tom's Houndoom took the stage Rupert couldn't help but take a step back. The devilish dark pokemon scared him, perhaps even more so than Ryan's Mightyena. Cubone stood his ground though, still brandishing it's club. The sight of the small pokemon standing up to what made Rupert want to turn and flee inspired him just as much now as it had when he first got it.

Heh. Right you are, Cubone. We can do this. Besides, it's not like Houndoom is totally unknown to me. I did my research. I know it's weaknesses.

"Y-yeah! Just promise me that you will do your best, Tom!"

And with that the battle was on.

"Cubone! Show me your bonemerang!"

Cubone responded by hurling it's weapon straight at Houndoom, the bone club making whistling noises in the air.

"Cuuuuu... bone!"

"Cubone! Show me your bonemerang!"

"Kalmia! I want you to make sure that doesn't hit you! Use smog as a smokescreen and jump out of the way!"

As the bone projectile flew closer The houndoom opened its mouth and started to release a dark purple fog.

"I hope this plan works..." Tom muttered under his breath as he watched what was happening.

With Kalmia and Cubone out, the battle was finally underway.

Rupert, somewhat uncharacteristically, started off the match by ordering Cubone to use Bonemerang. Within seconds the Lonely Pokémon had thrown its bone at the foe with amazing force.

Tom, however chose to counter by using Kalmia's Smog, a dark purple fog making its way to Rupert's Cubone, who was soon enveloped in the poisonous fumes. Being a Ground-type, Cubone didn't seem to take much damage from the attack. His throw accuracy did suffer, though and the bone whizzed past Kalmia's head.

Unfortunately, Kalmia left its guard down and as the bone began its return trip, it hit Kalmia in the side.

Tom watched as Rupert's cubone struggled around in Kalmia's smog. However he cringed as his own Pokemon was hit on the bone's return.
"Kalmia, are you alright to keep going? We just need to poison his Pokemon, so it can take damage over time!"

Tom thought for a bit.
"I've got it! Alright Kalmia I want you to run up to the cubone, use bite and smog at the same time! You don't know poison fang, but we can improvise it!" now go! You're faster, you can get there before he can make a move!"

As the bone smacked into the Houndoom's side it somehow still had enough momentum to spring back up in the air, zipping over the cloud of smoke that obscured Cubone. This is where Cubone jumped out of the fumes released by Kalmia, deftly caught his prized club and landed just outside the cloud. Cubone's eyes were reddish and watery due to the smog, and he did not look amused. His vision was definitely impaired and this meant that he couldn't land his all important hits.

"C-Cubone! Don't worry about it. Just take a minute to collect yourself. Focus. Use Focus Energy."

Rupert's voice was not quite as authoritative as he had intended, quivering just a bit too much. Cubone sent him a reddish glare in response. Clearly the Ground-type preferred a more direct approach in battle, not being overly fond of any move that didn't deal immediate damage. In response to his glare Rupert almost wanted to just back off, and let the Cubone do as it wished. Instead Rupert steeled himself and met his pokemon's stare.

Cubone conceded. He needed a few seconds to clear his eyes anyway. Under his skull mask he closed his eyes, concentrated and flexed his muscles, preparing for his next strike.

Rupert on the other hand was losing his new found confidence. He had not anticipated Smog. To have Cubone poisoned this early in the battle was certainly not part of the plan.

While Cubone used Focus Energy, Kalmia was making a beeline for it. The Houndoom jumped, fangs at the ready and bit down on the Ground-type, who tried hard not to whimper in pain. Following its master's orders, Kalmia released the Smog while still attatched to its foe.

The toxic cloud hung in the air for a while as coughing and a bewildered howl could be heard inside. Slowly backing out of the cloud came Kalmia, with a pained look on its face. Due to a miscalculation on Tom's part, his Pokémon had fallen victim to it's own Smog.

The attack had worked, though only in part. Both Pokémon were now poisoned, with Cubone looking slightly worse for wear.

The effect was unmistakeable. Cubone was poisoned and Rupert's plans were falling apart. Tom's improvised attack, although very clever, had backfired and poisoned Kalmia too but this seemed a small consolation right now. Rupert needed Cubone in the long haul for this match and the poison made this impossible. Rupert's mood soured. For a while he really though that he could win.

Rupert's dark thoughts were interrupted by Cubone stepping out of the dissipating smoke cloud. Cubone held it's head high despite the fresh bite mark adorning his small body and the venom coursing through his veins. The little fella almost looked downright majestic in it's stubbornness. Rupert felt ashamed.

That's right. This was never about winning. It was about doing right by your pokemon.

With a dapper tone and a strained smile the trainer said:
"Cubone... You know what to do."

"... Bone," came the answer.
Cubone then immediately launched another, hopefully empowered by Focus Energy, Bonemerang at Kalmia.

"Sorry about that Kalmia, I didn't really know how that would turn out. Do you want to keep going for a bit, or rest for later?"

"Houndoom!"
Kalmia shook her head, but then winced from the poison.

"How about a quick rest then? Or just one final strike?"
At the mention of this reckless strategy Kalmia's eyes seemed to light up.

"Alright! Try your best to dodge that bonemerang and land one last bite!"
This time both the eyes of the trainer and the Pokemon flashed.

"Now GO!"
"HOUNDOOM!"

The one good thing about being the center of attention? You really, really learn to appreciate fading back into obscurity.

Matt made his way out of the tunnel, relieved that the crowd's attention was squarely focused on the current battle. From what he could see, it looked like Rupert and Tom were having a pretty intense fight; neither of them were giving up, and both were using some interesting move combos.

Making his way into the stands, Matt looked around for a place to sit. It didn't take long for the trainer to spot the cluster of his fellow hotel-mates (That's a term, right?), and he quickly began nudging his way through the bleachers.

"Wow, Remy, Daria, that was a good match! You guys looked great out there!"

This was it. One of these Pokémon would be going down within the next few seconds. Kalmia raced towards Cubone with all of its might while trying not to pass out from the poison.

Cubone's bone left its owner's hand at what must've been record speeds. Mustering up all of its strength, Kalmia managed to again dodge the projectile, albeit only barely. Now, it was just a matter of taking down the prey and dodging the Bonemerang's return.

With a bone-chilling howl the Houndoom pounced on its prey.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOMM!!!

OH MAN, CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR! Houndoom's Bite missed its foe by mere inches!

That's right, Terry! Impressive dodge by that poisoned Cubone right there! That's what I call spirit! That Houndoom is no slouch either, lemme tell ya, amazing reflexes!

Cubone had dodged the attack and was at the ready to catch the bone on the return. Houndoom tried to brace itself to dodge the coming attack but, alas, it was weakened by the poison.

*SLAM*

AND HOUNDOOM IS DOWN! What's next for the boy from Pastoria?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in the podium, Remy and Darius were making sure Daria wouldn't go postal on the whole stadium.

"Hey, you okay? Don't let that stuff he said get to you. You and your Pokémon kick some serious ass. And they obviously respect you. Hell, he should see what I do with my guys..."

Lee then left and waited outside the building holding duskull's pokeball.

The other trainer, oblivious to the one he'd just left behind, slowly left the box.

Spiegel turned his eye, giving a chilling glare as it followed Lee's every step; his gaze followed the trainer until he was out of sight. Then, he turned back to look at Daria.

Daria slouched in her seat, eyes fixed on the ground. Spiegel poked her back a few times with his claw, but she didn't respond. "Char?"

Still not speaking, Daria stood, and took a step forward. Spiegel's eyes nearly bugged out of his skull as he dove forward, grabbing her hand with every claw he could reach with. That caught her attention; her head tilted upwards a bit, and then turned to look down at her right hand, now leaking a bit of blood. Spiegel looked mortified, and rapidly tried to blabber out an apology, but his yelps were mostly incomprehensible.

Then, Daria gave a low chuckle and put her uninjured hand on his head. "Relax, Spiegel. I just wanna get a closer look at the match, all right?"

Spiegel leaned back in seat, a guilty tear welling up in the corner of his eye as he obediently nodded his head. Daria grinned at him, and put on her shades as she went to the edge of the box and leaned over. She observed the match below, though it was difficult to tell to the others if she was actually paying any attention.

She was like that for nearly a minute, until...

She slammed her hand on the railing, and bit her lip. Remy didn't fail to notice this and spoke up.

"Hey, you okay? Don't let that stuff he said get to you. You and your Pokémon kick some serious ass. And they obviously respect you. Hell, he should see what I do with my guys..."

"Okay?" Daria asked, her voice warbling. She stood up straight, turned to face their "host" for the duration of the tournament... and immediately started ranting.

"OKAY?! You think I'm okay after that... that PITIFUL display out there?! The Houndoom HAD IT! Defeat, snatched from the jaws of victory, I mean, COME ON!" She threw her hands out in increasingly impossible motions to try and articulate her frustration. Spiegel shook his head slowly, turning his head away from his trainer. She'd be fine.

"Huh?" Daria asked, turning her head to see that Matt had appeared. "Oh, uh, hey. Thanks."

Before anyone present had a second to react, Daria had relaxed back into her normal self. She traipsed over to Matt's hand, shaking it vigorously before pulling him down into a seat beside her. "Sorry about your match!" she said. "Maybe you'll get a real fight next time."

"You did great Kalmia. You did better than I could have ever hoped for. Now get a good rest and I'll have you back to a hundred percent in no time."

Tom smiled as the red flash faded as his Houndoom returned to its pokeball.
"Alright! It isn't my favorite strategy, but they say a good defense makes the best offense. So let's go Trapic!"

The pokeball burst open with the same double swirl engraved on it. Which exploded, leaving behind the shieldon.

SHIELDON!

"Sorry about this everyone, but it's gonna get noisy in here! Trapic! Use metal sound!"

I wonder if that skull will make it echo..

Rupert breathed a sigh of relief. That final confrontation had been far too close for his liking. Cubone looked a bit rattled too. Rupert could tell despite its mask. The Houndoom had been more than a worthy opponent. As Tom congratulated his Kalmia for its efforts Rupert wondered if he should use the opportunity to switch out Cubone. It was obvious that the little guy couldn't take much more. Despite this the stubborn Cubone made it perfectly obvious that it wanted more. Seeing this there was only one thing Rupert could do.

"Good job, Cubone! Just keep it up for a little while longer!"

"Cubone!"

Tom's next pokemon then materialized. The one he called Trapic. It let out a battle call unusually loud for a pokemon of its stature. Rupert's heart sank. In his mind this was the wild card of the match.

"Shiel... don?" Is that what it's called? I didn't manage to find any info on this one before the fight. Information on fossil pokemon is scarce. What type is that? Do I even have time to figure that out with Cubone poisoned?

"Cubone. Try a Headbutt."

After a quick but nitrious breakfast, Ryan headed to the arena. The day was packed with matches, which Ryan saw as a opportunity. Betting on the matches was a lucrative bussiness, and a great way of learning to anticipate someone's abilities based solely on their posture and their pokemon.

After winning a few and losing some bets, Ryan, with a now much higher disposible wealth, went on the see Rupert and Tom's match. It would be a hard match to watch, because he felt like cheering for solely one side would be unkind. He didn't want Rupert to lose, because the man had been nice to him and seemed like beneath the shyness and social anxiety he really did want to win, but neither did he want Tom to lose, because he was fun and pumped to do this. Losing this early on in the tournament wouldn't be fun for anybody.

Rupert had beat Tom's Houndoom, but it seemed he underestimated Tom's Shieldon. Shieldon were known to Ryan because he had seen them, as they were native to Sinnoh. They were hardy pokémon, and physical attack's would prove to be unusefull. At least, that's what Ryan thought. Maybe Cubone is strong enough? We'll see.

As Trapic came on the field it immediately started doing an odd sound at its Trainer's behest.
The sound was causing discomfort not only to Cubone but to some of the more sensitive spectators in the stadium.

Cubone heard his master's orders and was off. As it sprinted towards the Fossil Pokémon it started lowering its head, skull helmet ready to take the impact. Trapic braced itself for impact...

*BAGONNNGGGGGG*

The situation hung for a moment as neither Pokémon seemed to move, both head to head.

Then Cubone leaned back and tried to regain its bearings. It seemed a bit dizzy, in addition to the poison that was now pushing Cubone to its limits. Trapic, however, seemed unharmed.

Oohhh not the smartest move by Rupert Gravel there, eh Andy?

Hahahah! You can say that again, Terry. Being both Rock AND Steel-type, I doubt that Shieldon even felt an impact, hard-headed as Cubone might be.

Things were now looking grim for Rupert and Cubone. As the poison kept punishing Cubone, Rupert knew his partner could not take an other hit. It was fight or flight now...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"OKAY?! You think I'm okay after that... that PITIFUL display out there?! The Houndoom HAD IT! Defeat, snatched from the jaws of victory, I mean, COME ON!"

Remy looked at Daria for a second, dumbfounded. Then he let out a roaring laugh.

"PFFFT...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAA! You really are something, you know that? Nothing gets you down does it? Haaa..." Remy sighed as he wiped tears from his eyes.

"That Rupert is really giving it his all down there. Taking down a Houndoom ain't all that easy. Those things are as vicious as they are loyal... But that Cubone ain't gonna last long."

"HEY! Thanks kid, you too... Even though, you know... You didn't actually get to fight. I'm sure you'll knock the next guy out!"

A piercing screech akin to strong nails on steel echoed throughout the stadium, reaching the stands and was a small annoyance to Darius and Knuckles. Daffy, however, was another matter.

"Pssyyyyyyyyyyy! Psy-psy-psy," he screamed as he grabbed his head and began rolling around in the stands, falling on Gemini and the popcorn,lashing out at the Staryu underneath it,"Psy-psy-psy-psy-psy-psyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"

Darius dropped his pipe and rushed to pick up the pained Psyduck, who he then returned to his pokeball and sat back down beside his pipe and quickly finished the tobacco he had inside. He stuffed it once more before turning to Remy and Daria's conversation.

"Sorry about that, he's gotten his headaches under control most of the time, but one gets through every once in a while."

*BAGONNNGGGGGG*

Tom cringed as the skull-faced Pokemon crashed into the shield-faced one.

I doubt that Shieldon even felt an impact, hard-headed as Cubone might be.

"They're right you know. Cubone might have that helmet, but it's nothing against solid metal. But anyway, I'm not going to go easy on you, so go get him Trapic! Use dig!"

Shieldon!

The shieldon quickly dove underground

"So Rupert, you're looking kinda frazzled. Where's your fighting spirit?"

Hahahah! You can say that again, Terry. Being both Rock AND Steel-type, I doubt that Shieldon even felt an impact, hard-headed as Cubone might be.

"Steel?" asked Daria, leaning out of her seat to get a closer look at the little Shieldon. From where she was, it was hardly even visible. She turned to Matt and asked, "You ever seen that kind of--never mind, I'll check it myself."

She stood up, and fished a strange device out of her back pocket. It snapped open, and its gleaming red case told the others that it was a Pokedex. Daria walked back to the railings, leaning over and reaching out with the Dex to try and get an inspection of the fossil Pokemon. Its screen lit up a bright white, and various little whirrs and blirps told that it was processing the information. Finally, an image of the beast came onto the screen, and an electronic voice described it.

SHIELDON - THE SHIELD POKEMON. THIS ROCK AND STEEL TYPE POKEMON LIVED IN JUNGLES AROUND 100 MILLION YEARS AGO. ITS FACIAL HIDE IS EXTREMELY HARD, AND IS HABITUALLY POLISHED BY RUBBING AGAINST TREE TRUNKS. IT IS WEAK TO ATTACKS FROM BEHIND.

"That so, huh?" Daria asked seemingly no one, pocketing the Pokedex as she slammed back down into her seat. "In that case, I can stop worrying!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms up into the air before letting them fall behind her seat. "Gemini can take it, no sweat."

She turned to Matt and gave a coy smile. "What about you, quiet kid? What kinda Pokemon have ya got?"

"Hya..."

"Huh?"

Daria looked over to see her Gemini lying beside her, its gem beeping from intense pain. Her face immediately went pale, and she dug into her bag to retrieve the Super Potion within. She began to spray the Staryu's injuries, practically cooing to the thing. "Aw, don't worry girl, mama's got it covered. How did this happen??"

Spiegel let out a growl of exasperation a few seats away.

Rock and Steel-type... Rock and Steel-type... A Shieldon is a ROCK AND STEEL-TYPE!?

As Cubone rubbed his skull that seemed to have gotten another crack, Rupert stood frozen in his corner with an expression dumber than the average Slowpoke's. He felt about as smart as one now too. The vapid look soon gave way to frustration as he pulled at his hair. The fact that he had just made a fool out of himself in front of so many people ate at him in the back of his mind, but his more immediate concern was that of Cubone. Cubone had been as bold as ever, perfectly willing to keep fighting even though it was on its last leg. And how had Rupert repaid it? By pulling a move as boneheaded as this.

Honestly!? What kind of amateur uses a Normal-type move against a Rock/Steel type? If you had just been a better trainer you would have known what type Shieldon is. Cubone wouldn't be in this mess. You should have used something like... like...

Realization slowly dawned in Rupert's eyes. Shieldon has a massive weakness against Ground-types.

"Cubone! Use your Boneme..."

It was too late. Trapic had already dug its way underground as per Tom's instruction. Tom was no fool. It was obvious that Cubone wasn't going to last much longer in its poisoned state. Using Dig had been a sound choice.

"So Rupert, you're looking kinda frazzled. Where's your fighting spirit?"

Rupert had an idea. "I... We'll show you fighting spirit. We have plenty to spare! Cubone! Use Dig yourself! Meet Trapic halfway there and make one final blow!"

Though visibly exhausted fire burned in Cubone's eyes at this notion. He used his bone to immediately smash open the earth and then dug his way in within seconds.

"I... We'll show you fighting spirit. We have plenty to spare! Cubone! Use Dig yourself! Meet Trapic halfway there and make one final blow!"

"THERE YOU GO RUPERT! Keep it up! Trapic! Pop up, use protect, and once the cubone hits you, use take down! Do you hear me down there?"

Tom's smile seemed to grow larger and larger as the battle went on. He didn't want to lose, but he also didn't want to win quickly. Luckily Rupert still had his Haunter at full health, and Kusari was in top form as well. The battle was far from over.

Daria watched the proceedings below with interest, her mouth hanging open as the trainer below ordered his Shieldon up to the surface again. "Why would he..."

Then it hit her, and her grin turned outright wicked as she shook her head in a sort of approving disbelief. "This kid's crazy! He's toying with that other guy's Cubone! Gutsy, since he's the one with a Pokemon down right now..."

Matt smiled as he was welcomed by Remy and Daria; though still unused to such gregarious displays, it did feel nice to be greeted in such a manner.

"HEY! Thanks kid, you too... Even though, you know... You didn't actually get to fight. I'm sure you'll knock the next guy out!"

"Heh, well what're you going to do," Matt said as he rubbed the back of his neck, "I can't honestly say that I'm too disappointed. At least this way I've got some more time to prepare myself for the next match. Plus," he added, gesturing to the arena below, "I might be able to pick up some neat tricks and moves!"

"What about you, quiet kid? What kinda Pokemon have ya got?"

"Huh?" At this, Matt was caught a little off guard; though he couldn't blame Daria for forgetting about someone as unimpressive as himself, Matt was still a little hurt. "Oh, well, uh, don't know if I should bring them out in the middle of a crowd, but I've got Spike, Ventus, Persephone. They're all"

"This kid's crazy! He's toying with that other guy's Cubone! Gutsy, since he's the one with a Pokemon down right now..."

The young trainer blinked as Daria seemed to lose interest half-way through his explanation. Then again, considering the events taking place below them, he was more than a little distracted himself.

Matt may not have been the most experienced of trainers, but he still knew about basic type advantages and disadvantages. Rupert had made quite the error, but considering Tom's playful nature the Kanto native might yet have an opportunity to win this skirmish as well. Finding a seat unoccupied by people, Pokemon, or popcorn, Matt sat down and began to enjoy the show, adding his quiet cheers to the roars of the crowd.

Savannah had been quietly studying the combatants and their trainers, seeing how they fought and their tactics. Whilst scanning the crowd, she noticed her fellow trainers that had attended dinner last night. Not wanting to appear anti-social Sav made her way over to join Remy, Daria and Darius who were all involved in conversation about the match.

Whilst walking over during the middle of a match, her Grovyle behind, she cringed and clapped her hands over her ears as a high pitched screech pierced her eardrums.

"Grovyle!" Spriggan screamed as the noise overcame him as well.

"Are you okay Sprig? What the heck was that noise?"

Cautiously un-cupping her ears, she was relieved that the noise had subsided. Sav reluctantly took the empty seat next to Daria, hoping that her ears wouldn't be filled with a different kind of noise.

"Hey guys! We all engrossed in the match I take it?"

With the orders of their Trainers, both Pokémon were now underground, steadily burrowing their way towards each other. Tom decided to cut the digging short, however, ordering Trapic to come up and Protect. Trapic did so, bursting out of the ground and bracing itself for an attack, making itself as small as possible.

A few seconds went by until Cubone came flying out of the ground and at Trapic, hitting it head-on. It's attack was without power though and did nothing to break through its foe's Protect. As ordered, the Shieldon followed through with a Take Down, tackleing its opponent with its full weight, hurting itself slightly in the process.

Cubone was sent hurtling towards Rupert's feet. As it came to a halt, it struggled back to its feet. Taking a few pained breaths it took a look at its Trainer, smiled and fell back down.

And Cubone is down and out! What a resilient little Pokémon that one turned out to be! Amazing spirit!

Amazing is the word, Terry! With it down, though, it seems Gravel is down to his last Pokémon. Can he come back from this?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I might be able to pick up some neat tricks and moves!"

"That's the spirit, Matty-boy!" Remy said, patting the boy in the back as if to re-assure him of the fact that Daria listens to no one.

That's when Savannah made her way to their location as well.

"Sure are! I'm Remy, by the way. Pleased to meet'cha."

Remy said, introducing himself to the tall girl, as he had not done so last night.

And Cubone is down and out! What a resilient little Pokémon that one turned out to be! Amazing spirit!

"Great job Trapic, that cubone was really tough. Rupert trained it really well! You can rest for a while, it's Kusari's turn now."

Tom recalled the shieldon and sent out his Skorupi. The small purple Pokemon burst out of a symbol that just looked like a circle with three arrows sticking out of the bottom.

SKOR!

"Alright Rupert, this is it, game point! Are you ready?"

Caleb continued to watch the battle between Tom Relict and Rupert Gravel with some sense of interest. Each of the trainers fought tactically, using combinations of moves to generate some interesting results. By this point in the match, Rupert was down to his last Pokemon, and Tom had changed to the Scorpion Pokemon, Skorupi.

"Hmm, a Poison/Bug type. Skorupi have a rather slow growth rate, and when matching it up with my team, is rather weak to Raphael and Angelique. However, any Poison type can cause a lot of trouble, shall have to watch out for this one if I happen to face him. Let's see how Rupert handles this one, and with this being his last Pokemon, he is going to have to pull something special to win this."

Amazing is the word, Terry! With it down, though, it seems Gravel is down to his last Pokémon. Can he come back from this?

Rupert stood over the fainted Cubone lying at his feet. For a second he couldn't help but be reminded of when he first found Cubone, his first pokemon. It had been so vulnerable, so alone. Seeing Cubone like this now, bruised and battered, made Rupert wonder if the two of them had ever made any progress together beyond that night. Were they still just two souls scared of the world? This doubt only lasted for a second though. Seeing Cubone smile even in defeat made sure of that. This defeat had been entirely on Cubone's own terms. It never backed down, so that Rupert would never falter. It stood up for him when he couldn't stand up for himself. Rupert had never been prouder of his Cubone. He nearly teared up as he picked up the small limp pokemon and returned it to its pokeball.

"Thank you, Cubone. You were amazing. Beyond amazing. You always have been. But don't worry. I'll finish this without you. It's high time you guys were able to rely on me. Trust me. I'll see this through to its end. The bitter end if necessary."

With that Rupert's second and last pokeball was thrown into the ring, releasing his Haunter.

Haunter seemed positively elated at the sight of the audience. It enjoyed attention and bobbed up and down in the air grinning. Its antics came to a stop, however, as it spotted the Skorupi.

"That's right, Haunter. It's time for games. Maybe you could start with your pretty light show?"

"Haunter!"

If Haunter noticed something off about his trainer's unusually dapper tone he never showed it. Instead his face split in the widest grin ever to grace a Haunter before his eyes started to radiate light. The Confuse Ray manifested in multicolored swirling beams aimed squarely at Kusari.

"Sorta." Daria shrugged, slapping the girl on the back to welcome her to the group, as if she'd known her all her life. She started venting about the match below. "It's interesting, but really it's a bit frustrating. Both of these guys are newbies, ya can tell. I mean, that's not bad but they keep making all these mistakes, and it just makes me wanna tear my hair out!"

As she continued to rant, Slagger rolled over and set himself up to rest against his trainer's leg, content for the moment, and unlike his fire-type teammate finding no reason to point out the hypocrisy of what Daria was saying, considering her own blunders in her first match.

Spiegel was bound by no such honor, however, and was was currently helping himself to the last of the popcorn. He needed some form of comfort food in these dark, stupid times.

Well, here we go. This is the last part of the match. I just hope it's as spirited as the first two parts. Rupert is really strong, and he's trained his Pokemon well. It's terrible that one of us has to lose, but the truth is, there's no way to tie. Even if both Haunter and Kusari faint at the same time, I've still got two Pokemon left. That means I'll win if that happens. I'd just better give it my all. And.... Huh?

"That's right, Haunter. It's time for games. Maybe you could start with your pretty light show?"

"WOAH! Are we starting already? Alright then! Kusari! Use acupressure, then distract it with pin missile, and close in for bite!"

"Skor!"

When Tom finally got around to give Kusari his orders Haunter had already trapped the Skorupi in his haunting gaze of rainbow hues. Once he was finished Kusari seemed totally out of it, striking random parts of the battlefield with its stinger instead of using the Acupressure on itself. It did hit Haunter with some of its Pin Missiles. Haunter's type combination made them little more than an annoyance though.

Haunter floated around its hapless opponent as it tried in vain to use Bite until...

*CHOMP*

Haunter's laughter had now evolved into roaring guffaws as he gleefully watched Kusari gnawing on its own pincer.

It was Rupert's move, now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 21 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked