In Her Image: a Pokémon RP

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 21 NEXT

Savannah once again could do nothing but stare in bemusement as her pokemon took a vicious chomp on it's opponent, only to be repaid with a Water Pulse which had obliterated Sutekh's health. Set, being at a type disadvantage looked worse for wear, not only that, but as the Trapinch rose to continue the fight Sav could sense that something was wrong.
As Set attempted to use Sand Attack, it only succeeded in hurting itself in it's confusion, trying a Signal Beam produced a similar result, this time knocking the confused pokemon completely unconscious, not even standing a chance.

...And that's a win for Darius' Psyduck! Uh... What an incredibly unlucky turn of events for Trapinch.

Indeed, Terry! Hit with a super-effective move and confused. And knocked out by it's confusion too! Wow.

"...Bad luck there Set, I'm so very sorry. Don't blame yourself, it was all me..."

Savannah proceeded to once again withdraw her pokemon back to it's pokeball, replacing it on her belt.

Just one more shot left... Well here goes nothing, it's better than forfeiting

She reached for a Dive Ball on her belt, before throwing it before her opponent. The ball opened and spurted forth a ray of light, which then formed into a figure on the floor.

The Fish Pokemon flapped about on the ground, looking quite feeble indeed.

"Bass...!"

Sav then saw Darius beam at her across the field, before picking up his Psyduck, before announcing

"Thanks for having me Rustboro City! It's been fun, but my time in this tournament is at an end! I respectfully withdraw and ask that if any of you have Day-Care or Pokemon Breeding needs, please, come looking for Darius O'Kere, Kanto Region!"

He then bowed and then turned heel, walking out of the exit, pokemon underarm, puffing on that ludicrous pipe of his.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?! We're not finished here! Do you hear me Mr. Crackpipe?!"

What a self righteous ass! He had to go and be all "high and mighty" didn't he?! Making me the victor by default for Arceus' sake...

Savannah withdrew her Feebas, before storming off back to her tunnel, eager to get away from the crowd who looked on feeling sorry for her. She didn't need their sympathy, didn't need their pity. She could do things for herself, she had come this far by her own and she wasn't about to stop now. Inside the tunnel she began muttering to herself vociferously.

"Thinks he can humiliate me like this...In front of all these people... I don't accept forfeits... I EARN victories... I didn't travel across two regions just to quit after getting beat by some pipe-smoking, ginger bearded, good-for-nothing, laid back, holier than thou asshole! "

She kicked the wall, thankfully for her running shoes which spared her from the full force. Taking a few deep breath before calming down, Sav slowly made her way to nearest Pokemon Centre to heal her pokemon

"Daria... I can't... breathe!"

Matt managed to squeeze out a few desperate breaths as Daria seemingly attempted to snap his spine. The "hug" lasted for a short eternity; Matt could have sworn he saw the light at the tunnel's end when the loudspeaker suddenly boomed out.

"WHAAAAAT!?"

And then precious, precious oxygen as a distracted Daria released him. Matt didn't even care about the unusual resolution of Darius' and Savannah's match, he was just grateful to get some air in his lungs. Breathing heavily, the young trainer turned to Remy. "Remind me -huff huff- to never piss her off. Because -jus give me a minute- if that was her good side, I don't even want to think about her bad one."

EH-EEEEEEEEEEH!?!?! HE FORFEITS?!??! DARIUS O'KERE FORFEITS THE MATCH, MAKING SAVANNAH IRIS OUR WINNER!!!!

The unabashed surprise in Terry's voice was priceless. Behind the announcers, station execs and all sorts of personnel were busy answering calls from disgruntled viewers and advertising companies, while at the arena, the viewers hurled insults and booed at the top of their lungs.

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ALL ABOUT!?!"
"I DIDN'T COME HERE FOR THIS!!"
"THAT ANY WAY TO TREAT THAT POOR GIRL???"

Soon enough the tune started to change. This had been one of the more exciting matches thus far.

"COME BACK DUDE!!!"
"WE WANTED MORE!!"
"SCREW BREEDING! YOU SHOULD START UP A GYM!!!"
"HANG IN THERE PURPLE HAIRED GIRL!!"

I guess that's it folks! What a show and what a way to end it all.

Sure was Andy! I've heard of crazy publicity stunts, but this? This was quite a surprising turn of events to say the least!

You said it, Terry! With Savannah Iris as our winner, it's time to go on a small commercial break. When we come back, Lee Brook will take on Ike Sherman in a Group 16 battle so stay right here, on PBBN!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Darius made his way down the Red Tunnel with Daffy under his arm, a cold, sharp voice spoke up.

"Breeder? You? Please. Those ridiculous Pokémon look like they've been raised in a barn. And that pitiful stunt... Trying to make Breeder's Monthly?"

The voice belonged to a tall, gaunt and pale man. Dressed in black and sporting a lab coat. Slicked back blonde hair and a pair of glasses completed the look. There was no question. The man in front of Darius was none other than Jeremy Moore, a well known breeder from Fuchsia City in Kanto, hailed as the young prodigy who was making breeding into an exact science. Jeremy looked down at Darius, scoffed and continued.

"I was looking forward to crushing your sad ideas of what constitutes proper breeding, but now I guess I'll have to do with that girl from Hoenn instead. That is, after I deal with this "Ryan Oliver", anyway."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hmph. Just as undisciplined as its Trainer. That's what happens when proper training methods aren't employed. What a waste. Monferno, Hitmonchan, Hariyama, back to your PokéBalls!"

With 3 beams of red energy, Forte's Pokémon returned to their owner, who proceeded to put them back in his bag.

That's when the girl with a long black braid of hair approached the burly fighter.

"No worries, Forte. You'll beat that hussy and her weaksauce Pokémon and teach her not to hit on MY Remy!"

"Silence, girl. I fight her for my own purposes, not to fulfill your crazed teenage love fantasies."

"Hmph. You're no fun Forte..."

Back at where the tenants were watching the action, Remy was baffled at Darius' decision.

"That guy is one weird character. Even if he wanted publicity he could've at least finished the match, right? Savannah can't be happy with this..."

"Remind me -huff huff- to never piss her off. Because -jus give me a minute- if that was her good side, I don't even want to think about her bad one."

Helping Matt back up, Remy laughed and said

"Hahaha. Don't worry, as long as you don't insult her or her Pokémon, I don't think you'll have any problems."

Meanwhile in an alley somewhere in Goldenrod, a badly beat up Ike Sherman pleaded with his two aggressors.

"P-p-please... Not m-my Pokémon... N-not Kirlia! Why!? Why are you doing this!?!"

"GAHAHAH! Can it kid! We can do whatever we like to weak runts like you. These Pokémon are way too dangerous to leave for a weak ass kid like you to handle."

"Yeah! Now shuddit before we kick ya around sommore!"

Looking at his muggers laughing and walking away with his Pokémon, Ike passes out in the alley.

Back at the arena. An official approaches Lee.

"Excuse me, Lee? Lee Brook? Your match is up next. If you'd be so kind as to follow me to your tunnel."

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?! We're not finished here! Do you hear me Mr. Crackpipe?!"

Darius turned around, Daffy still in his arms, clutching the bitten foot at the angry voice throwing challenges and insults his way. He just smiled and nodded at her before continuing on his walk.

"Psssssssyyyyyy" he moaned, even though there wasn't alot wrong with it beyond a bit of a scrape.

As he entered the tunnel, a figure approached from the other side, and Darius was more than a bit surprised when it turned out to be Jeremy. He'd met him in passing once or twice, never liked the guy that much, but his ability as a breeder was known Kanto-wide at the least.

"Trying to make Breeder's Monthly?"

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. I don't exactly have the reputation you do, or the money to put in an ad, so I've gotta go through with some stunts. I'll see if this one pays off or not. You wanna keep talking, I'm on my way to the Center."

Darius kept walking down the tunnel, hearing the echos of the angry stadium fans. Not really that bothered with the jeers, he was more worried about the prick walking with him.

"I was looking forward to crushing your sad ideas of what constitutes proper breeding, but now I guess I'll have to do with that girl from Hoenn instead. That is, after I deal with this "Ryan Oliver", anyway."

"Sorry to disappoint ya, Jeremy, but hey, all's well that ends well, and I have to say that this ended up much better than I expected. As for that girl, she's pretty good at what she does, so don't go underestimating her too much, I only won that last fight with her Spriggan through luck more than anything else. Good talking with you, but I've got some PokeCentering to do along with getting my pokemon ready for more walking around."

"Pssssssyyyyyyyyyy."

"Oh quit it, you, you're not dying, you just can't walk right at the moment."

"Psy?"

"Yes, you. Now let's get going."

The pokemon breeder quickened his pace a bit, pushing past anyone that got in his way as politely and forcefully as he could. He reached the pokemon center and healed up his team, leaving for a few minutes to get some treats for each of them. Two lollipops for Knuckles and Daffy, a bowl of hot chocolate for Numel, whenever he got back up, and a fruit soda for Whismur, along with their helpings of pokechow.

HE'S DONE IT! SANDSLASH IS THE WINNER!!
"Ouch! That Sandslash is something else! What do you think Kusari, could it beat Aeolus? I think we would just be able to squeeze a victory out of it, as long as it's frozen."
"Skor?"

"Sav is really tough too, any pokemon that can survive an earthquake attack is in a league of its own. Everyone in this tournament is so strong! No matter who I'm up against next, it's almost guaranteed to be a great battle!"

Watching the match eagerly tom was almost in an unbreakable trance. Well until,
"I'M GONNA GIVE YOU HELL TOMORROW, SO GET READY TO LOSE!"

Shaken, Tom looked around him and saw Matt yelling at a man with a machop. He smiled to himself as he realized just how amazing his fellow inn patrons were. Turning back to the battle Tom watched the battle between the psyduck and trapinch, which ended predictably. However what happened next caught Tom off guard.

"I respectfully withdraw and ask that if any of you have Day-Care or Pokemon Breeding needs, please, come looking for Darius O'Kere, Kanto Region!"

"Wow! Another amazing match! I tell ya Kusari, all of us have surprises up our sleeves. That spirit Matt and Rupert showed, this, and.. well some other larger and bluer secrets. But really That Darius is an amazing trainer."

"Skor?"

"Well yeah, I wasn't expecting that at all, and I was kinda hoping for a longer battle, but everyone has their reasons for doing things. What do you say though, should I go ask the guy for a battle?"

"Skor!"

"Alright! I'll ask him when he comes back up here. Well, as long as Daria doesn't start shouting immediately when she sees him..."

Rupert looked on as Savannah yelled at Darius who was leaving the ring after forfeiting. This was not the outcome Rupert had expected. His niggling feelings of doubt about Darius had returned. Why had he forfeited? Was it an act of mercy? No, his little publicity stunt about his daycare services made that unlikely. A publicity stunt; was that all this battle had been to him? Rupert couldn't help but feel that this was a little disingenuous, and disrespectful towards Savannah and her team. Rupert abandoned his musings as he sat down.

Sigh. I guess I shouldn't assume. There are more ways than one to be a trainer.

He couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Savannah though. She had been really good out there and didn't deserve this. Rupert strongly suspected that she wasn't the type who wanted people's sympathy though.

You said it, Terry! With Savannah Iris as our winner, it's time to go on a small commercial break. When we come back, Lee Brook will take on Ike Sherman in a Group 16 battle so stay right here, on PBBN!

Commercial break huh? Rupert decided to leave the stands for now. They were awfully lively (not least thanks to his fellow Sleeping Sunkern patrons) and Rupert needed a break from people. He also really needed a sip of water. Should have taken that drink from Caleb...

Rupert made his way past the others, for a moment stopping and wondering if this was the moment to thank Tom. He decided against it though and found the stairs. There Rupert had to stop and make way for a bizarre quartet consisting of a Charmeleon, Hitmonlee, Staryu and the Graveler from before. They were munching on a few snacks. Rupert could only stare as he made his way past them.

Having made his way below Rupert realized that this had been the first time he had actually followed a pokemon battle with interest. His previous approach to pokemon training had led to him actively avoiding these things. Rupert still wasn't sure if he genuinely enjoyed watching pokemon fight, but he couldn't deny that it could be a spectacular sight. Lost in his own thoughts yet again Rupert realized that he was a bit lost. He had somehow managed to find a deserted hallway in the packed stadium. Rupert cursed his own absentmindedness as he started listening for voices, trying to find a way to the concession stands.

Lee sat waiting, after about 10min he started playing catch with snover using a snover berry, this went on as match after match was missed by lee, snover and lee dropped the berry a couple of times during the last match as the quakes went off, First this girl talks all about being tough and not backing down yet she doesn't show up to a challenge, if she was so pissed off by what could maybe be taken as a insult she must have some confidence issues. That or a serious temper Lee thought.

"Excuse me, Lee? Lee Brook? Your match is up next. If you'd be so kind as to follow me to your tunnel."

'Alright' lee said returning snover to his pokeball, he then followed the tournament official.

As Rupert made his way through the crowds, he bumped into someone, the force of the impact sending the boy flying to the floor. As he looked up at who he had bumped into, Rupert turned a very sickly shade of white. In front of him stood a tall, angry looking, bald man, dressed in a black suit and an unbuttoned white shirt that revealed the huge eastern style Garchomp tattoo etched on his upper body.

Before Rupert could plead for his life, the man walked past him.

"Watch where you're going, you damned whelp... You might bump into someone nasty."

Disappearing into the crowd, the man speaks into his black Pokétch.

"Everything is in place then? And the two chuckleheads who attacked the kid? Good. Cut it in 10 minutes. Hm? Tell that asshole that everything is under control. That uptight prick can keep playing in his little aquarium for all I care. Right. Eres out."
________________________________________________________________________________________________

And we're back! Sorry to keep you all waiting, folks. With all this drama and excitement over with, we're ready for our last batch of fights! So without further delay, please welcome in the Red Corner, from Lilycove City, Hoenn... LEE BROOK!!!

Lee walks into the arena as the crowd cheers in anticipation of the coming match.

10 minutes.

And in the Blue Corner! From Fallarbor Town, Hoenn... IKE SHERMAN!!

Nothing. The Blue tunnel produces no challengers.

8 minutes.

The crowd starts getting impatient. Muttering can be heard among the spectators.

6 minutes.

Uhh... Is Ike Sherman in the premises? If so please present yourself to the arena, please.

4 minutes.

In the arena's studio offices a phone rings.

"What!?! The hospital??"

2 minutes.

Ladies and gentlemen, we regret to inform you that due to circumstances out of our control, we are unable to present you this match...

The crowd instantly starts hurling insults and hatred towards the announcers.

"AGAIN!?!?! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I PAID 7800P FOR!?!?"
"WHAT WAS IT THIS TIME!?! MORE PUBLICITY?!?!"
"THIS TOURNAMENT IS A RIP-OFF!!"

Please calm down, we just recieved word that Ike Sherman is...

BBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZKKKKHHHHHHHTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHH

A power outage. Lights, PA system, Magnet Train, Radio Tower, the Department Store. Everything except for the PokéCenters and places with independent generators goes dark.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Hn?"

"Iaaaaaaaaaahhhh!! Forte?! What happened?"

"Silence, girl. Come on, let's get out of here before everyone panics."

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Remy doesn't have much time to wonder about what is going on before the power goes out.

"What the--? The heck is going on in here? Some sort of blackout??"

As Darius was visiting with his pokemon in the Stadium's Center, he heard the overwhelming abrupt silence, followed by more than a fair share of screams and cries of outrage. Numel was conscious again and had drank his bowl dry within seconds of his waking up. The others were healed up quite nice and Daffy and Knuckles had degenerated into their normal antics, play sword fighting with their lollipop sticks, but they perked up when the silence and subsequent light thundering followed.

"Alright guys, get in your pokeballs, you're healed up, let's try and beat the scramble, shall we?"

"Psy?"

"Sllasssh"

Whis....mur

"Nuuuuuu?"

He Returned all of them to their Pokeballs except for his Psyduck, who he grabbed up and put under his arm again. Outside the PokeCenter, the darkness in the tunnel was almost absolute, with the glow from the glass doors behind him barely illuminating the opposing wall.

"Flash time, Daffy, we need to get out of here before the run for the doors starts."

"Psy?"

"Yes, you Daffy, now."

Daffy responded by closing his humongous eyes and concentrating before opening them again and a soft glow emanating from them, illuminating the quickest path to the exit at the end of the tunnel. He hurried that way, a few of his new "fans" shouting insults as he passed them in the darkness.

"Hey, YOU! Yeah you, you ginger-bearded asshole, I paid good money for those seats and you go and forfeit?"

"Yep, now if you'll excuse me, I'm leaving."

"Why the hell did you quit!"
"You could've won the tournament!"
"Don't run away while I'm speaking to you!"

He pushed past anyone that got in his way, until he ran into a small cluster of kids, who clamored for Daffy's handprint of all things. He looked back and saw that his "fans" were still clamoring for their own souvenirs from him and told the kids he was sorry, but he had to go.

He exited the stadium relatively quickly, and headed for the Sleeping Sunkern after returning Daffy to his pokeball and attempting to hide his face from the crowd.

Daria's eyes shot open as the light dimmed all around them. In a few brief moments, everything went dark, and visibility went from daylight to utter darkness in the span of a few seconds. All around, those int he Trainer's Box could hear people muttering, their voices raising. An all-out riot was ready to break out. The trainer snapped her shades off of her face, pocketing them as she spun around to face her team. Two Pokeballs snapped off of her belt, and opened up to let in Slagger and Jet. The two disappeared quickly, leaving Spiegel and Gemini as her only active partners. She knelt down, pulling them in close as she looked them dead in the eye.

"Okay, both of you. We're doing crowd control, got it? I'm sorry, but, Gemini? You're taking one for the team. Spiegel?"

The fire lizard nodded wordlessly, and began to claw and slash at the Staryu. Blow after blow was taken, until it looked nearly ready to fall over. Its gem began to blink rapidly, creating an easy-to-spot light source. Daria gave it a thumbs up and a pat. "Great job, girl, now get over to the big exit, all right?"

"Hyaa!"

The tan star spun off of the Trainer's Box and out towards its destination. She turned Spiegel around and faced him towards the other exit on the opposite side of the stadium. "That's your target, Spiegel. You're the beacon to lead these people to light. Can you do it?"

"CHAR!"

The Charmeleon saluted and leaped off of the Box, stomping on heads and generally being rude as he made his way over to his door.

Daria walked to the front of the Trainer's Box, leaning out over it as she waited for both Pokemon to get into position. On one side, Charmeleon reached his door and immediately flared his tail up to its maximum height. A perfect torch. On the other, Staryu's blinking was almost as bright as a searchlight in these conditions. Daria took a deep breath, and at the top of her lungs shouted out into the crowd.

"ATTENTION, ALL PATRONS! DO NOT PANIC! EXITS HAVE BEEN MARKED FOR YOU. PLEASE MAKE FOR THE BLINKING STARYU, OR THE CHARMELEON BY THE EXIT GATES IN A CALM AND ORDERLY FASHION!"

Message delivered, Daria leaned back and wiped a bit of sweat off her brow, and turned to the others. She pointed at their own exit, leaning towards it a bit. "So, uh... we probably better get goin' while the getting's good, right?"

"So, uh... we probably better get goin' while the getting's good, right?"

Tom was still reeling from the insanely loud shout that Daria had just let out.

"WHAT'D SHE SAY KUSARI? I COULDN'T HEAR THE SECOND PART!"

"SKOR!"

"OH! WE SHOULD PROBABLY GO THEN!"

With his ears still pounding Tom followed the others outside.

Recovering a bit and looking around he noticed something unusual.

"Hey where'd Rupert go? Did anyone see him?"

"What the--? The heck is going on in here? Some sort of blackout??"

"Yeah, looks like it." Matt may have had his problems, but a fear of the dark was one thing that didn't burden him. If anything the light's sudden absence only helped the lad; he knew that the crowds were still there, but not being able to see them did its part to alleviate his awkwardness.

Matt blindly pawed through the darkness, ensuring that nobody was going to bump into him. The scared and annoyed shouts of people in the surrounding seats faded into the background, as the young trainer thought about his next course of action. "Geeze, it's worse than Union Cave in here..."

It took a moment, but Matt eventually found the Pokeballs strapped to his waist; clutching the middle of the trio, he released the Pokemon in a flash of white light. "Quil?"

"Hey Spike, sorry to have to wake you up. Not really sure what happened, but we could use some light here. Think you can help us out?"

The Cyndaquil paused for a moment, stretching its back and letting out a small, somewhat adorable yawn, before nodding. "Cyndaquil!"

A small row of flames burst from the Pokemon's back, illuminating the area directly around Matt and his companions. "Heh, thanks buddy. Come on, let's get you up here." Picking up the fire-type, Matt placed Spike on top of his head, chuckling as the Cyndaquil squirmed in an attempt to get comfortable.

"Okay, both of you. We're doing crowd control, got it? I'm sorry, but, Gemini? You're taking one for the team. Spiegel?"

It looked like Daria had had a similar idea; after a few moments, her Staryu was flashing brightly in the darkness, providing a beacon of escape.

"So, uh... we probably better get goin' while the getting's good, right?"

"Aye, that we should."

Caleb's eyes quickly became accustomed to the darkness, as all around him, a various assortment of trainers began talking; some where making plans to get out of the now almost pitch black arena, save for the light being made by Daria's Staryu and Charmeleon; others were scared as to what was going on. Raiden however was quietly confident, his eyes turning a slightly golden colour. He turned to the Bright Eyes Pokémon.

"Of course, when your eyes go that colour, a Luxray can see through anything. That should help us find away out. Good thinking." Caleb remarked, complimenting Raiden on his quick thinking.

"So, uh... we probably better get goin' while the getting's good, right?" Daria asked the group.

"Your right Daria. With your Pokémon acting as beacons for people to follow, and with Raiden here being able to see in the dark, we should be able to make it through here with little difficulty."

'ahh what the hell?' Lee said as the power failed, first his opponent doesn't show up and now this. He looked around to see what other people were doing nad it could made out that the crowds were leaving the stadium guess I'll do the small. Lee released duskull form his pokeball and said 'will-o-wisp defensive, then light the way' duskull created a set of will-o-wisp flames that he then made float around him in horizontal and vertical circles. As lee followed duskull down the tunnel he kept a hand on duskull's ball encase he decided to go off and scare people, as this would most definitely not be a good time to do so.

"Ouch!"

Rupert fell to the floor after he turned a corner and walked straight into someone. Someone who upon impact felt more like a brick wall and flinched about as much as one too. Before Rupert could apologize he stiffened in fear. Looking up through his dark tresses that had fallen in front of his eyes Rupert saw a tall, angry looking, bald man, dressed in a black suit and an unbuttoned white shirt that revealed the huge eastern style Garchomp tattoo etched on his upper body. He looked like a Yakuza!

"Watch where you're going, you damned whelp... You might bump into someone nasty."

In his fear Rupert didn't respond, even as the man literally stepped over the downed trainer and walked away. Rupert continued to lay quite still and only dared to resume breathing as the man's steps faded. The Yakuza now appeared to be on the phone and Rupert took the opportunity to scamper off on all four.

Oh dear lord, that was scary! I nearly died! He was totally going to do something horrible to me! He was talking about attacking someone else too just now! I need to get out of here...

And that's when the power died and Rupert nearly had a heart attack. What the heck was going on?! In the darkened hallway, still on all fours, Rupert was listening to his own beating heart. It sounded like it was on the verge of using a Self Destruct. Slowly, very slowly, he rose to his feet and called out.

"H-hullo?"

Rupert nearly had his second heart attack within one minute as he did get a response of sorts. For a second a red light lit up the hallway as one of his two pokeballs burst open and materialized a member of his team. Then all was dark again.

"C-Cubone? Is that you? What are you - AAAHH!"

It was indeed Cubone that had appeared. Rupert knew this not because Cubone had called out, but because his bone club had just smashed into his left shinbone. Cubone's trainer yelled in pain and grabbed his leg.

"What the heck, Cubone?! What was that for?"

"Cubone! Cu cu! Bone!"

"W-what? I deserved it? Why? What did I do..."

"Booooone... Cubone. Bone!"

"Remember what the Yakuza said? What are you talking a..."

Rupert suddenly remembered. Whilst walking away the Yakuza had said something about attacking someone and then immediately afterward about cutting "it" in 10 minutes.

"Wait... You think that this guy had something to do with cutting the power? And you want me to go after him?! Are you mad?!"

"Bone" came the stern reply.

Rupert mulled it over. The time frame fit. It was roughly ten minutes since his run in with the tattooed stranger. And there was no doubt that Rupert should go after him; the guy had talked about attacking others. If he orchestrated this, then what was he planning now? The stadium was still packed full of people. Were they in danger? But despite this Rupert just couldn't bring himself to follow the Yakuza.

"Cubone, I... I can't. You know I can't. I wasn't made for this stuff. I don't have the nerves for it. You know that."

Rupert looked crestfallen into the darkness where he knew Cubone stood. Cubone said nothing, but his silence spoke plenty to the trainer. Rupert knew what Cubone was thinking. He had promised that he was a new man. That this tournament had changed him. That from now on he would always face any challenge head on. If he backed away from that promise now, would his team ever trust him again? Should they?
Rupert sighed.

"... Do I have to?"

"Bone!"

With that Cubone returned to his pokeball and Rupert quietly set out after the tattooed stranger. He had never been so scared in his life. Maybe.

Outside the arena, many people had already made it out, mainly people who had been in the hallways and recreational areas. One of these people was Jeremy Moore, who stood and looked around, contemplating what had happened.

Hm. I was just done talking to that poor excuse of a "breeder" when all of a sudden the city goes dark. That, coupled with these peculiar no-show Trainers... Could there be something afoot?
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Darius was the first Sleeping Sunkern patron to make it out the stadium, seeing as the closest exit was quite near the PokéCenter he was in when the lights went out. After a 15 minute trek through the dark city streets he'd arrived at the inn. Much to his surprise, the inn was fully lit. Had the power outage not affected it?

Lee made his way down the tunnel, behind Duskull whose Will-o-Wisps were faintly illuminating a path. As he reached the end a familiar voice greeted him.

"Am I glad to run into you, lad!"

It was Ryan, a fellow tenant from the inn, with his ever loyal Mightyena in tow.

"Me and Mightyena were getting ready for our match when suddenly it got awfully dark in here. We were about to get out and back to the inn. Care to join forces? Mightyena doesn't mind the dark but can't really do the whole light show your Pokémon can, can you boy?"

Might? M-Might!

Ryan's loyal partner snaps back to attention from keeping an eye on Lee's Pokémon.

The larger group of Sleeping Sunkern patrons: Daria, Matt, Remy, Tom and Caleb were busy hearding the remaining spectators out of the pitch-black arena.

Daria had sent Spiegel and Gemini to act as beacons for the nearest exits and, after an extremely loud call for everyone's attention, that out performed the venue's own PA system, she was all set to go

Caleb contributed with Raiden, his newly evolved Luxray and its uncanny ability to see through solid obstacles.

Matt didn't let the dark get to him, instead calling out Spike to act as a personal torch.

Remy let out an impressed whistle.

"Whew. You guys certainly ain't amateurs. Right then, guess I'll carry my weight too. Sneasel, come on out!"

Snee! Sneeeasel!

"Sneasels are nocturnal predators. Sneasel here is going to be on the lookout for any trouble."
AND some fallen valuables, too. Hehhehehh.

Tom, however, was slightly worried about his new aquaintance.

"Hey where'd Rupert go? Did anyone see him?"

Remy and Sneasel took a look around. The kid was not around.

"I remember him sayin' something about going to buy a drink or something? If that's the case then he's probably made his way out by now. If he hasn't we'll probably meet him on the way out."

And so they were off. The next 15 or so minutes were spent trudging along the crowded hallways of the arena. The darkness made way for the diverse lights and flames of peoples' Pokémon, brought out to light their way. After a few more minutes, the gang was outside. Freedom at last! No sign of Rupert.

Rupert was tailing the tattoed man he'd bumped into earlier, albeit not completely out of his own volition. Nevertheless, he could not shake the feeling that this man was somehow connected to the blackout moments ago.

"...the two chuckleheads who attacked the kid? Good. Cut it in 10 minutes...

Outside the stadium, it wasn't hard for Rupert to spot his suspect. Just look for the man walking away calmly with his hand in his pockets. For a possible terrorist, this guy sure was conspicuous. Rupert tailed the man as carefully as he could, to an old warehouse at the Goldenrod docks. Fortunately, it appeared he'd gone unnoticed as he followed the "Yakuza" inside, hiding behind some crates to listen in on the conversation.

There were 5 men inside. All of them in black suits. Two of them, however, were tied back to back onto chairs.

"...beat some random kid, huh!?! And for what? Huh? For these ridiculous excuses for Pokémon?? You see what we had to go through just to cover up for your screw ups? The job was to happen tommorrow! What if they pull the plug on it, huh!?! How will you fix that? HUH!?!"

"P-p-p-please... A-a-a-aniki..."

*SMACK*

"You don't call me "Aniki" anymore you worthless sack of garbage! I don't tolerate hotheaded thugs who pick random fights when they're told to lay low."

"Eres-aniki! What should we do with these two?" Asked one of the men who wasn't tied to a chair and beaten to a pulp.

"*sigh* Teach 'em a damn lesson... Then dispose of them and send the Pokémon they stole to Stein. I need to inform Lady Ti..."

*CLANK CLUTTER*

"What the hell was that?"

Rupert, in his nervousness had knocked over a stray plank. He'd been made. He had to either make a break for it or stay and get caught.

"Me and Mightyena were getting ready for our match when suddenly it got awfully dark in here. We were about to get out and back to the inn. Care to join forces? Mightyena doesn't mind the dark but can't really do the whole light show your Pokémon can, can you boy?"

"Sure I mean what else is there to do? wonder how long it will take for them to get the power back up, and wonder what they are going to be doing about the missed time" lee replied, while duskull decided to send a cold breeze down migthyena's neck using a weak ominous wind. Lee started to lead the way with duskull.

Daria gave a cool grin as they stepped out into the moonlight, throwing her shades back on and taking a deep breath. "FREEDOM!" she yelled, and everyone near her flinched on reflex in fear of another "PA announcement".

Stretching out her arms to give herself some space, she analyzed the situation. "Hey, guys..."

She bit her lip, contemplating the situation around the arena, all the while thinking in her head. There wasn't any particular surge in power that would've shorted out the stadium right then. And...

She looked at the buildings down the street. The rest of the street is out too. But shortages usually don't happen this late. Almost NEVER, actually. Not in Pewter anyway. No way this wasn't deliberate, but why attack the stadium?..

"I've gotta get to the bottom of this!" she yelled, forgetting that thoughts and words were different for just a moment. She didn't seem to care that her outburst garnered attention, and immediately plucked a Pokeball off of her belt and shoved it in Matt's face.

"Matt!" she exclaimed, with a remarkably salesman-like grin. "I need you to trade me, just for today! Your Pigeotto, for my Graveler!"

Caleb sighed with relief as the group made their way out of the stadium. He still couldn't see any sign of either Lee or Rupert, deducing that they must still be inside. Looking over at the city streets, he noticed that they were also blacked out. It was then that the loud voice of Daria screamed out attracting attention. He turned to Raiden, and stroked his mane of fur, congratulating on a job well done, feeding him a purple Pokéblock afterwards.

"I've gotta get to the bottom of this!" She yelled, soon removing a Pokéball from her belt, and shoving it in Matt's face.

"Matt!" she exclaimed, with a remarkably salesman-like grin. "I need you to trade me, just for today! Your Pigeotto, for my Graveler!"

Caleb cleared his throat, before removing Pokéball that held his Staravia, Angelique.

"You know Daria, my Staravia could probably help as well. That way, we'd have two flying types perform aerial reconnaissance."

"I need you to trade me, just for today! Your Pigeotto, for my Graveler!"

"Oh, um... I don't know..."

As Daria proposed her deal, Matt fidgeted, instinctively clutching at Ventus' Pokeball. As crude as he might be, the Pidgeotto was still one of Matt's best friends; entrusting the Pokemon to a girl he'd only met yesterday was not a situation that particularly pleased him.

Then again, it wasn't like Daria was going to swipe Ventus and make her escape, cackling as she flew away. There really wasn't any reason not to say yes. But still...

"Hold on for a second, okay?"

There was a brilliant flash of light, and Ventus soon settled onto Matt's shoulder, beady eyes flickering around the chaotic scene. "Pidgerrrrrro?"

"Hey Ventus, got a question for ya. Daria thinks that there's something fishy going on with this blackout, and wants to go check it out, but she needs a flying Pokemon to get a good picture. Do you think you could help her out?"

The Pidgeotto, instead of answering, took a moment to study the energetic Kanto native. Long seconds passed as Ventus' keen eyes analyzed Daria, before it finally dipped his head in agreement. "Rrooo."

Sighing, Matt gave a small nod as well, being careful not to dislodge Spike from his tenuous perch. "Well, if he's okay with it, then I guess I am too. Alright, let's do it."

"I need you to trade me, just for today! Your Pigeotto, for my Graveler!"

This seemingly normal sentence caught Tom's attention. He knew all about Graveler and how it evolved due to there being numerous Geodude around Sinnoh. Besides, if there was one thing Tom was an expert on, it was evolution.

"Uh, Daria, are you sure about that? You DO know what happens to Graveler when someone trades it right? You could just have Matt tell his Pigeotto what to do."

Tom had a feeling that Daria knew exactly what she was doing, besides, why would she refuse to let her pokemon evolve?

"Skor."

Tom looked over to Matt and his Pigeotto who had agreed to the trade.

"Well that's that huh?" Tom said to Kusari, "Still it'd be nice to see another pokemon evolve tonight."

"Skor..."

"I know, I know. We need to find out what's going on. That's more important."

Tom looked around once more. He was still worried about what had happened to Rupert. He was planning on taking him and Ryan on a trip to catch some pokemon after all.

"I'm going to run over to The Sunkern. Maybe Rupert went back after the outage. You all seem to have a handle on things here, but don't forget to tell us what you find out!"

Taking the pokeball that contained Kalmia, he released the Houndoom and asked her to start using ember. He then ran off towards the inn with his new light source, waving goodbye at the others behind him.

"Alright, let's do it."

"Wicked!"

Daria tapped her Pokeball, and out popped Slagger, stretching his muscles in glee at the bit of freedom. He stopped and nearly lost his grin for a second as she felt Daria gently place her hand on his shoulder. The boulder felt a tug, and turned around as his trainer knelt to look him in the eye. She had a warm and encouraging smile.

"Hey, Slagger, there's something I need to tell ya, all right?"

"Grav?" asked the rock Pokemon, trying to sound enthusiastic, but letting a bit of its childlike curiosity--and just a hint of worry--sneak through.

Daria just chuckled and slapped his shoulder. "Heheh. No big deal, Slagger, honest! But listen." She jolted with a hand and swiped the shades from her face, revealing a very solemn and serious look. "I don't know who, but somebody's behind the outage, and that means somebody's getting a boot to the face. But if I'm gonna do this, then I'm gonna need a Flying type. So, just for one day, I'm trading you, OK?"

"G-g...Graveler?"

Daria felt a pang of guilt slap her chest as the big bruiser's eyes welled up with tears. "Oh, no, Slag, I didn't--come on, please--shhhh, shhh, don't cry don't cry..."

Slagger bit his tongue and choked back the tears as his trainer slowly stroked the back of her hand down the side of his face. She grinned brightly. "There ya go! That's the rock-hard slugger I like to see! Ya gotta be strong, OK? No tears?"

"GRAVELER!" replied the now fervent Graveler, saluting with both arms.

"Damn right there won't be! Now, be on your best behavior with Matt, all right? No funny business, or I swear I'm gonna beat ya with yer own arm when I get ya back!"

"Graveler, Grav!" replied her Pokemon in its, well, gravelly voice. Satisfied, Daria called the Graveler back into his Pokeball and stood back up, hearing Caleb make a request as she did.

"You know Daria, my Staravia could probably help as well. That way, we'd have two flying types perform aerial reconnaissance."

Er... big words again...

Daria stared at Caleb for a moment, working out what he'd just said. Is he... hitting on me?

"OH!" she said, snapping her fingers. "Right, scouting and stuff. Yeah, I guess I could use the help. Just lemme do this real fast."

Stretching her back out for a second, Daria walked back over to Matt, and extended Slagger's Pokeball. "If you're ready, we can get this done."

This was all going to end horribly.

That had been Rupert's first thought when he arrived in Goldenrod. Perhaps he had jinxed himself because the situation really was quite horrible right now. Crouching behind a crate, shivering in fear, Rupert listened as the tattooed stranger yelled at and even smacked two men tied to chairs. The acoustics of the dilapidated warehouse made the *SMACK* hang in the air. The recipient of said smack began pleading with his captor and Rupert couldn't help but felt sorry for him, even as he knew that this person was apparently not entirely innocent themselves. Judging by the one sided 'conversation' these two had attacked someone and stolen their pokemon.

Is this a proper organized crime ring like Team Rocket back home? I have to get out of here. I have to tell someone...

*CLANK CLUTTER*

"What the hell was that?"

And with that Rupert was certain. This was a new record. He really never had been more frightened in his life. Rupert didn't move a muscle. Not because he hoped that these pokemon thieves would dismiss the noise as nothing if he was just quiet, but because he was simply frozen in horror. However, as soon as Rupert heard someone take a step towards him he instinctively bolted. Warriors knew when to fight, but cowards knew when to flee. He ran without regard for who saw him, faster than he had ever run before, propelled by fear.

Darius and Daffy looked curiously at the Sleeping Sunkern, it must've had it's own generator, or wasn't connected to the main power system of the city. Whichever it was, it was where he was staying and the power was on, it was good enough for him. He let Knuckles out of his pokeball and set Daffy on the ground, and the trio walked in. The two pokemon immediately ran to one of the tables in the dining room and began their mock fencing again, as they'd both held onto their lollipop sticks from the PokeCenter.

Darius chuckled to himself a moment before sitting down and lighting his pipe again, content in the relative quiet and got a bowl of broth that was warming under a set of lights and had a note on it saying it was for the patrons. A small, thick loaf of bread was positioned next to the steaming bowls, presumably one for each of them, wrapped inside a cloth, keeping the bread fresh. He sat down and began to eat, leaving Daffy and Knuckles to their play. Finishing his food, he leaned back and lit his pipe again, contemplating why Sav had yelled at him during the match.

Sav was the obvious choice to continue on in the tournament, he'd said beforehand that he'd only came for some fun and a battle or two. He'd done what he'd come here to do more than anything else, and now was just the time to sit back, relax, have a bit more fun, and then head back to that place he was working at now a bit south of Cerulean City. Just for good measure, he let Whismur and Numel out of their pokeballs too, not much sense in keeping them in there any longer. Numel trundled to the nearest tablecloth handing down and began staring at it before drifting off to sleep. Whismur jumped into Darius's lap and shivered a few moments before finding a place she was comfortable and just lay there, watching the world from within the safety of her master's arm while he smoked his pipe, thought a bit, and waited for the rest of the tournament goers to arrive back.

"PSY! PSY! DUCK!" Daffy punctuated with each of his thrusts.

"Slash,sandslash,sand." Knuckles replied, either blocking,dodging, or angling all but one away, which hit one of his claws and bounced back, slapping Daffy in the bill.

Sav had just finished having her pokemon healed up at the arena's Pokemon Centre when the blackout occured. She had just been handed back her pokemon and was sitting down in the waiting room, thinking about the day's events and reading a recent issue of Breeder's Monthly, when all of a sudden the lights in the room shut off, proceeded by the Centre's backup generator kicking in, working on protecting the pokemon that were still undergoing recuperation.

"What the hell?..."

Screams and other sounds began to ring across the grounds as panic slowly set in in the general crowds, followed by the announcers attempting to provide some semblance of order amongst the chaos, as people scrambled hopelessly in the dark. It was then that Sav heard a booming voice in the distance.

"ATTENTION, ALL PATRONS! DO NOT PANIC! EXITS HAVE BEEN MARKED FOR YOU. PLEASE MAKE FOR THE BLINKING STARYU, OR THE CHARMELEON BY THE EXIT GATES IN A CALM AND ORDERLY FASHION!"

Wait... Staryu and Charmeleon? Daria...? At least she's got some kind of a plan

She stared outside the immediate area of the Pokemon Centre into the blackness, it was times like these that she wished she had a fire-type pokemon, or at least something able to learn Flash, she had just always thought that having such a pokemon for a specialised purpose would be impractical, and most of all, impersonal. Never did she realise that she might be in a situation where it might actually prove extremely useful. She set herself thinking about what to do next, there was no way that she was going to stay here, and now that Daria was on the move she assumed the rest of the Sleeping Sunkern patrons would do the same, or at least the ones in her vicinity. That, and the rest of the matches were most likely going to be put on hold, not that she even cared anyway.

Not since that damn ass pulled that stunt anyway...

Sav's mind cast back to the exits she had passed by on her way down, she hadn't really payed them that much attention at the time, but she knew their rough location, enough to hopefully feel her way in the dark at least. Although she'd prefer some kind of light source, a place this large must have something for this kind of emergency. She walked over to the front desk.

"Hello" she said giving the nurse a smile. "Nurse...Joy is it? I was just wondering if, by chance, you'd happen to have a flashlight I could borrow? You must have something for these kind of things right?"

"Well... we do happen to have a few in the back... but I'm unsure as to procedure in these situations..."

She watched as the Nurse quickly disapeared into the back room, before returning with a pair of flashlights.

"Thank you very much. Don't worry, I'll be sure to put them to good use, I'll get them back as soon as I fix this thing"

She gave a reassuring look before taking the flashlights. She checked the batteries in both of them and made sure they still worked. She reached for a green pokeball on her belt, before opening it in a burst of red light.

"Grove...Grovyle!"

"Oh, no, Slag, I didn't--come on, please--shhhh, shhh, don't cry don't cry..."

Matt felt a few tears come to his own eyes, as he witnessed the Graveler's heart wrenching reaction to Daria's request. Such devotion, such attachment, such a bond between trainer and Pokemon! It was a truly beautiful sight, one that moved Matt to his cord.

While Daria attempted to comfort Slagger, Matt turned to the Pidgeotto still perched on his shoulder. "Ventus, I... I'm going to miss you bud, okay? Please make sure to take care of yourself."

Ventus responded with a roll of his eyes. "Pidgero," came the disinterested reply.

"Awwww, look at you, putting on the tough guy act just to try and make me feel better. Thanks buddy, I'm really going to miss you too!"

As a few tears began to drip down Matt's cheeks, Ventus began to uneasily sidestep down the lad's shoulder, attempting to get as far away from his trainer as possible. The situation was quickly unnerving the Flying-type; he couldn't wait to just get this over with.

Matt, choosing to interpret Ventus' distance as another attempt by the Pidgeotto to cheer him up, began to sniffle. Reaching up with his free arm, the young trainer tried to wrap the limb around his Pokemon, barely managing to choke out a few words as he did so. "Ah, c-come here! C-come on pal, l-let's hug it out."

"GERRRO!" There was no mistaking that unearthly gleam in Ventus' eyes. If Matt went in for the hug, he was getting a beak to the face. "Alright, alright, fine. be that way." Though the trainer managed to avoid sniffling this time around, there was no disguising the disappointment in his voice.

Wiping the tears from his eyes, Matt returned Ventus to his ball as Daria brought back Slagger.

"If you're ready, we can get this done."

"S-sure. I'm good." Following Daria's lead, Matt offered his own Pokeball.

The two Trainers traded PokéBalls and with that, Daria was now the (temporary) owner of a Pidgeotto, while Matt would be holding on to Slagger for a bit.

Remy and Sneasel looked on with curiosity.

"Well, you got your bird, question is, what's it for? I thought we were heading back to the inn. What's your plan Daria?"

Darius had finished he's meal and was enjoying yet another Knuckles & Daffy production when Madam Kerner came over with a cup of coffee.

"Enjoy your meal, lad? Sure was a sour note on the tournament tonight... I quite enjoyed your battle against that lass, although..."

*BONK* Tapping Darius in the head with the blunt end of her long pipe, Granny continued.

"...you really shouldn't leave a young girl hanging like that, it just ain't courteous y'know? Anyway, ol' Mr. Kerner always said 'Get a backup generator' he said 'Never get caught with your pants down and the lights out' he said... Anyways, enjoy your coffee now Mr. Breeder... Hehhehhehh."

The elderly innkeeper made her way back towards the reception, puffing on her old pipe with her Meowth following suit

*KLINGLING*

"Easy there, sonny boy. That door wasn't built for such violent entrances."

Tom had just burst through the door with Kalmia, scanning the small lobby for any signs of Rupert.

Meanwhile, Rupert was busy getting out of a derelict warehouse with all his limbs still attached. Running like he had never run before, Rupert made a mad dash for the exit. He'd never make it. Eres was much faster than he was.

"You're that damn whelp! C'mere ya lil..."

*ZzzRRRRIIINNGGG... RRRRIIINNGGG...*

Ugh? It's her! Damn. Whatever, it's not like that lil' shit can do anything about us.

"Mistress. I've done as asked."

"...The goons?"

"Taken care of."

"...And tomorrow's party?"

"Can't wait to get started Mistress."

"...Very well. Do not fail me."

*zzzt*

"...Never, Titania-sama. OI! Clean up this shit and let's ditch this place!"

Lee and Ryan had made it out of the stadium. They had come out on the opposite side though, and thus, there was no sign of any other patrons from their inn. Most other people had already left the area as well. Only officials and police remained.

"No sign of any familiar faces... My guess is that they're at the inn already."

Ryan gets down to pet his Mightyena and continues.

"What about you Lee? Think we should get back?"

Rupert never registered that Eres stopped pursuing him almost immediately. The young trainer simply ran, over sized coat be damned. He ran until his legs felt like they had Geodudes holding onto them. Then he ran some more. Finally, falling to his knees in exhaustion, Rupert looked back still panicking. Where he expected to see armed thugs rushing towards him he saw only a dark street.

Did I... did I lose them?

Rupert opened both of his pokeballs, just in case. The red flash seemed all the brighter in the darkened Goldenrod, as it produced Rupert's Cubone and Haunter. Cubone came out with his club raised, seemingly ready to take on the tattooed man. He looked vaguely disappointed as he looked around and saw no one. Haunter on the other hand, oblivious to the situation, merely bobbed up and down in the air. The blackout seemed to excite him. Nevertheless, Rupert felt a bit safer with the two of them.

"Huff... Puff... Okay guys, we're in a bit of a bind. Just... just be on the lookout for anyone approaching, okay? Cough! We need to alert someone about what happened at the stadium. Tell them what happened to the city's power."

Cubone immediately looked alert and began scanning the area, slowly circling around the trainer as he got back on his shaking legs. Haunter merely gave a cursory nod. Looking at them Rupert suddenly feared for his team. What if the guys from before really caught up to them? Would they steal Cubone and Haunter? Maybe he shouldn't have called them out. Maybe they would be safer back in their pokeballs?
No, that was stupid. Rupert couldn't hide them. He had fought in the tournament. Surely the tattooed man already knew that Rupert was a trainer.

No, if anyone wants my team then they are going to have to fight to get at them.

With that the trio set out, Rupert limping and still wheezing. Everything was quiet. A little too quiet in fact. The power still hadn't returned to Goldenrod and it was actually downright eery, keeping Rupert on edge. When they turned a corner all three immediately noticed something odd: a lit building. It looked unnaturally bright in the light deprived city and adding to Rupert's amazement was that it was apparently the Sleeping Sunkern. Trainer and pokemon made their way there as fast as Rupert's weak legs and burning lungs would allow.

*KLINGLING*

Tom and Madamm Kerner looked somewhat surprised as the sweat drenched and pale Rupert stepped in, still breathing heavily.

"Oh, h-hello. Cough! Could either of you maybe call the police for me? E-excuse me, I'm really not feeling very well... HURP!"

Rupert's pale face took a slightly green tinge as he hurried out again. The mad dash from before had been too much for his body. As he threw up on the sidewalk Haunter floated over him, laughing and clapping in glee.

"Hau hau hau haunter!"

*KLINGLING*

Tom and Kalmia burst into the Sleeping Sunkern. He was still distraught, due to never encountering Rupert on his trip back to the inn. Hoping that Rupert had gotten back safely he looked around frantically, but only Darius and Madam Kerner were inside.

"Easy there, sonny boy. That door wasn't built for such violent entrances."

"Sorry, sorry, Have either of you seen Rupert? He left right before the outage."

Both of them shook their heads. Rupert was still lost in the darkness.
Tom decided that he should at least eat something and wait for the others. He was just sitting down when Rupert and his pokemon ran through the door.

"Oh, h-hello. Cough! Could either of you maybe call the police for me? E-excuse me, I'm really not feeling very well... HURP!"

Tom was still shocked when Rupert ran outside once more, and came back in looking a little green around the gills. But that didn't stop Tom from tackling him an a huge hug.

"RUPERT! I was really worried about you!"

He finally noticed Rupert's state.

"Uh. Are you ok? What happened? Why did you run here?"

As Tom's onslaught of questions continued Rupert started to look even more green.

"...you really shouldn't leave a young girl hanging like that, it just ain't courteous y'know?"

eh? Thought Darius, and he decided to mull over that comment over for a bit before really taking any action. In his mind, he'd gotten what he wanted out of the tournament, and Sav was advancing, and so long as another trainer didn't get as lucky as he had(and he knew full good and well that he should've lost to her Spriggan), she might end up winning the thing. Good luck to her if she did, and if not, well, she had another day of battling attributed to his withdrawal.

He sat and sipped at the coffee in front of him, the twin pipes creating a slight haze in the enclosed rooms of the inn for a bit before another of the patrons came running through the door.

*KLINGLING*

One of the palest people he'd ever seen walked in with his pokemon and sat down, asking about one of the others.

"Sorry, sorry, Have either of you seen Rupert? He left right before the outage."

"Sorry, kid, but no." The guy got his helping of broth and bread though and began to eat. A shorter interval passed before another of the patrons arrived back, two pokemon out and wheezing, and more than a little sick looking. Darius stood up and rushed to his side along with Tom after putting a towel around Whismur and putting her down in his chair. She looked more than a bit afraid however, and he reached into one of his pant's pockets and pulled out a small case with earplugs in it just in case and jammed them into his ears, but leaving one slightly out so that he could still hear.

"Well that's obvious, I've seen people that disturbed Beedril colonies in better shape than you." Darius said, a bit louder than he'd intended to.

Taking a look back, Whismur was tearing up a bit, and shivering inside the makeshift blanket, nothing bad yet, but it could escalate quickly if they didn't get the guy settled better and his pokemon not jumping around so much.

"RUPERT! I was really worried about you!Uh. Are you ok? What happened? Why did you run here?"

Darius chanced another look back at Whismur, who was in meltdown mode now from the sudden action, tackling, and loud noises coming from so nearby.

"Cover your ears NOW if you want to keep usi-" He said as he jammed the earplug in and covered his ears for good measure, but he was unable to finish as the scream began.

"WHISMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The small pokemon screeched, and unable to fully control her abilities outside of battle, added Extrasensory to the mix, which not only cut through whatever meager defenses anyone could put up against it. Bowels rattled, Knuckles grabbed his head, Numel was taken out of his nap, and Daffy stood there, completely oblivious to what was happening to everyone as his eyes glowed, staring out into space.

Darius collapsed to the floor from the sound tearing through his mind and that was when Whismur stopped, jumped from the chair, and ran to his side, clutching the towel the entire time. When she reached him, she threw it over his head and tried stuffing his pipe back into his mouth, which had fallen out onto the ground as he had fallen. After a few seconds, Darius was able to open his eyes and not be blinded by the sheer volume of Whismur's voice. Her eyes was full of tears and she was clutching his forehead against her body, whispering to him. He grabbed her up and sat cross-legged on the ground before wrapping her up in the blanket again and cradling her.

"Sorry for that folks, she's still really young, prone to sudden acts of...well, what just happened."

After doing what had to be done Rupert staggered back inside with some support from Darius. Thanks to his pipe smoke the smell from outside hadn't bothered Darius too much. Rupert apologized profusely to everyone present as soon as he had the necessary air for it, especially to Madam Kerner and promised that he would clean up his mess.

"RUPERT! I was really worried about you!Uh. Are you ok? What happened? Why did you run here?"

The air in Rupert's lungs left him once again as Tom gave him a great bearhug. Despite his size the Sinnoh trainer had much strength in him.

"I-I'm fine, really. And I was running because the tattooed man... But b-back at the stadium, when the power cut... The warehouse..."

Rupert didn't make much sense in his agitated state, and when he finally took a deep breath and pulled himself together Darius interrupted.

"Cover your ears NOW if you want to keep usi-"

That was a far as he got before he was himself interrupted by what seemed to be an extremely loud towel. An earpiercing screech filled the Sleeping Sunkern followed by an blast of Extrasensory. Rupert could only cover his ears while Cubone clutched his skull and Haunter held his head. They only looked up as the sound died down. With his ears ringing Rupert looked around him.

"Cubone? Haunter? You guys okay? What was that? Tom? Darius?"

"Sorry for that folks, she's still really young, prone to sudden acts of...well, what just happened."

Darius was clutching the aforementioned towel which held a small, pinkish and utterly terrified pokemon. Rupert had never seen this particular type before, but calmed down almost immediately. He knew all too well what fear could do to people and pokemon. Feeling a bit guilty over his behavior he calmly told Haunter to pipe down, as the always loud Ghost-type might also have contributed to the Whismur's confusion. Cubone, however, went over to the cross-legged Darius on his own accord and laid down his club at his feet, trying to grab the Whisper Pokemon's attention.

"Cubone bone. Bone."

Rupert didn't quite catch what was said to Whismur, but he was undoubtedly trying to calm her down. Perhaps Cubone recognized his previous self in Whismur. Whatever the reason Rupert couldn't help but feel a bit proud of him. As the situation quieted down again Rupert took a deep breath and calmly, and without too much stuttering, started telling Madam Kerner, Tom and Darius what he had seen. How he had met a tall, bald man with a Garchomp tattoo who he thought was called "Eres". How he suspected that this man had something to do with the blackout, and how he had followed Eres to a warehouse. At this point Rupert tried to paraphrase everything he had heard there as well as he could. Finally he told them about how he had escaped, but due to his panic stricken state at the time this part came out a fair bit more dramatic than it had actually been.

"What about you Lee? Think we should get back?"

'well I don't exactly see what else there is to do' lee turned to face his duskull 'now I am going to let you stay out of the pokeball when we get back to the inn' At this duskull made a smiling face using his will-o-wisp flames 'IF you promise to behave' The smile turned into a frown, after taking a couple of seconds duskull nodded.

whismuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

lee turned to ryan while walking back to the inn and said 'did you hear something?'

"Well, you got your bird, question is, what's it for? I thought we were heading back to the inn. What's your plan Daria?"

Daria gave a little laugh that may have been just a tad malicious as she rolled the new Pokeball around in her hands. "Well, ya CAN head back if ya want... but me, I'm not leaving 'til I get to the bottom of this! Come on out, Ventus!"

She opened the Pokeball, and in a flash of white light the borrowed Pigeotto came flashing out. It landed on the ground, disinterested and preening its feathers as Daria gave it a once-over with her Pokedex. "Uh huh, uh huh..." she muttered, checking its moves. "All right then." She pocketed the device and crouched down next to the bird, trying to look it in the eye. It chose to look away.

She grimaced a bit, and tried reasoning with it. "Come on now, we've got work to do. I need ya to look me in the eye for this part."

The Pigeotto wasn't budging.

"Come on, now! Don't'cha wanna be a big hero! Get all the ladies checking out yer feathers?"

The bird hesitated for a minute, before shrugging. "Gerro."

That sparked something in Daria's eyes. Something positively evil. "Ohhhh-ho-ho, I get it! You're just like Spiegel aren't ya? No time for trainers, 'cause you're the only sane one around, am I right?"

A hand shot out and grabbed Ventus by his beak, pulling his face to look his temporary trainer dead in the eye. Her grin was present as ever, but it seemed just a hint more violent this time as she whispered, "I've got ways of making you rebellious types obey. Capiche?"

Sweating ever so slightly, the Pigeotto nodded once.

"Good! Replied the trainer, sweeping him up in her arms to stand him there as she stood. Ventus needed a second to gain his balance as Daria put him on his forearm like a falconer would, and pointed up at the stadium. "All right, now here's your orders! Listen good 'cause I don't wanna repeat myself! This stadium's real big. I'm betting it's got it's own power source! I want ya to do a once-over and find it, then come back here and lead me there! Got it?"

"Gerro!" cried the bird, taking off into the sky to do its survey. Beaming with pride at her quick subjugation of the Pigeotto, Daria turned to Caleb.

"Ya wanted to help, right? Send out your... whatever your bird was, see if it can help!"

"Ya wanted to help, right? Send out your... whatever your bird was, see if it can help!" Daria said looking at Caleb as she spoke. A satisfied smirk appeared on his face, as he held the PokéBall that contained his Staravia.

"Very well then, since you asked so nicely." Caleb remarked as he triggered the activation button. As Angelique was released, she flew around briefly, before perching herself on Caleb's right shoulder.

"Star. Staravia." Angelique chirped in a joyful tone.

"Now then Angelique, I have an important assignment for you. It appears that somehow, the generator for the stadium has been rendered temporarily out of commission. To put it simply, we need to find it. Whilst we already have one flyer up searching for it, a second flyer would help the process along. I want you to fly over the area, and see if you can spot it from above. When you do, return to me, and lead us to it. Understand?" Caleb asked, giving Angelique her instructions, her eyes focused on the details.

"Star." Angelique said in response, before flapping her wings, and taking off to begin her search.

Matt stared nervously at the unfamiliar Pokeball clutched in his hand. It felt... wrong, suddenly becoming the owner (However temporarily) of a Pokemon raised by another trainer. It was hard to describe, but it just seemed like he was doing something he shouldn't. Still, the exchange shouldn't last too long; he'd have Ventus back soon.

"Well, ya CAN head back if ya want... but me, I'm not leaving 'til I get to the bottom of this! Come on out, Ventus!

Stowing Slagger's Pokeball on his belt, Matt silently stood back, watching as Daria scanned Ventus with her Pokedex, muttering to herself as she observed the Pidgeotto's various stats and moves. Try as he might, Matt couldn't keep a small, proud smile off his face. He may not be the strongest or smartest of trainers, but he still knew that Ventus was strong. Showing off may not have been his style, but everyone enjoys other people seeing their accomplishments.

"Come on now, we've got work to do. I need ya to look me in the eye for this part. Come on, now! Don't'cha wanna be a big hero! Get all the ladies checking out yer feathers?"

A few chuckles escaped Matt's lips, as Ventus continued to be his usual, aloof self. "Yeah, sorry about that. He can be a little tough to command, especially if you don't..."

"Ohhhh-ho-ho, I get it! You're just like Spiegel aren't ya? No time for trainers, 'cause you're the only sane one around, am I right?"

Predictably, he found himself cut off. Again. Shrugging, Matt resolved to just stand back and watch. Daria was a good trainer; she would figure something out. There was no doubt that she could get Ventus under her thumb in a matter of moments. It wasn't like she'd do anything drastic, like...

Matt found his train of thought completely derailed as Daria's hand shot out, locking around Ventus' beak in a vice like grip. Had the young trainer's mind not ground to a screeching halt, he might have noted that the Pidgeotto's muffled squawk coincided perfectly with his heart skipping a beat.

"I've got ways of making you rebellious types obey. Capiche?"

Was... was she threatening Ventus?

Time seemed to slow to a crawl for the Jhoto native, his companions and surroundings fading into the background. Dimly, he noticed Daria lifting the now attentive Pidgeotto onto her arms, giving a few orders, and sending the Pokemon soaring off into the sky. Likewise, he barely saw Caleb as the noble released his own flyer, nor did he see the Staravia take off after Ventus. After a few moments, the only sound Matt could hear was the blood rushing through his ears, his mind still utterly blank.

"...quil! Cyn-cyndaquil! CYNDAQUIL!" Finally, Matt's stupor was broken by Spike's anxious prodding. Tilting his head upwards, the trainer locked eyes with his starter, the worry in the Cyndaquil's gaze helping to clear his thoughts. Silently, the lad reached up, wrapped his hands around Spike, and lowered the Fire-type to the ground, his face still and expressionless.

"Quil?"

"Stay here."

Spike's fur stood on end as he noted the harsh, iron edge in his trainer's voice. As Matt began to evenly stride towards Daria, the Cyndaquil hesitantly followed after, trepidation in its footsteps.

"Daria." Matt came to a halt a few paces away from the girl, his fists clenched and teeth gritted. There was an unfamiliar spark in his eyes, a glimmer unrelated to the determination that had filled them earlier, as his unwavering gaze locked onto her. "Just what the hell do you think were you doing to my friend?"

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 21 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked