Cannon fodder (fantasy superpower rp) (closed, started)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 51 NEXT

If something particularly turn you off this rp please tell me so I know if there is something I need to fix or should consider changing.

IMPORTANT: First when the phrase magic residue comes up check the section of magic vs powers for an explanation. Second I am dyslexic and I was working with a friend on these posts and he said he would spell check all of these segments as I send him these, if these aren't the corrected version I apologies but I am going to spell check all my future posts to the bests of my abilities but understand I have my off days when it comes to this. Just tell me if you don't understand something and I will try and clear it up either by edit or messaging.

EDIT: just making it clear that any type of magic can be learned by any race it is just that the magic mentioned in each race sheet is the one that that race is most talented in and have done the most research into.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can make up locations, noble families, crime groups etc. as needed for your character.

Seems interesting. I can't help but think of several books/manga it reminds me of; I will have to try not to commit plagiarism as I make the character.

Question: as we are having numerical stats, will this game be taking advantage of dice rolling or is it another standard RP. I don't care either which way, I'm just curious.

hiei82:
Seems interesting. I can't help but think of several books/manga it reminds me of; I will have to try not to commit plagiarism as I make the character.

Question: as we are having numerical stats, will this game be taking advantage of dice rolling or is it another standard RP. I don't care either which way, I'm just curious.

for the most part the rp will be just written with the stats serving more as guide lines for the characters, though if there is something I think has a big enough element of luck I will role a dice for it. Also I made everything in this rp up myself any resemblence to any manga/movie/tv show are purely accidental.

Question: What is the difference between speed and agility exactly? I may have to switch the two around. I'm assuming speed is "how fast you can run/move/accelerate" where agility is "reflexes/dexterity/etc"

Let me know if you have any problems with the character.

hiei82:

Question: What is the difference between speed and agility exactly? I may have to switch the two around. I'm assuming speed is "how fast you can run/move/accelerate" where agility is "reflexes/dexterity/etc"

answer: you are right for instant a bull would have high speed but low agility while a monkey would have lower speed but much higher agility.

as for your character a couple of reductions in terms of your power can you change the part about not being able to teleport living things without killing them to just not being able to teleport them.

stage 4 I would like a limitation in the amount of times she can self teleport (high priority change) and how long ago in the past something has to be for her to teleport there(low priority).

stage 5 I would like the limit of her having to have a general idea of what the place looks like as well(low priority), also you can remove the limit in how much she can teleport herself.

You don't have to make these changes but they will affect when you will unlock them, the level of priority shows how much of an effect it has. Also maybe you could add a bit to your back story of being firstly mistaken for a gifted matsumancer.

nuba km:

hiei82:

answer: you are right for instant a bull would have high speed but low agility while a monkey would have lower speed but much higher agility.

as for your character a couple of reductions in terms of your power can you change the part about not being able to teleport living things without killing them to just not being able to teleport them.

stage 4 I would like a limitation in the amount of times she can self teleport (high priority change) and how long ago in the past something has to be for her to teleport there(low priority).

stage 5 I would like the limit of her having to have a general idea of what the place looks like as well(low priority), also you can remove the limit in how much she can teleport herself.

You don't have to make these changes but they will affect when you will unlock them, the level of priority shows how much of an effect it has. Also maybe you could add a bit to your back story of being firstly mistaken for a gifted matsumancer.

I included the "teleportation kills them" as a reasoning for why I can teleport some kinds of matter while not others. I see the point though - I could use it to kill people which was not my intention. Could I just say I can't teleport unwilling people/things? That way, I cannot teleport my enemies.

Any suggestions on amount number of teleports she should be limited to?

Maybe I will limit the memory aspect to within accurate memory - If I study the image for a while it will last a few days, if it's a passing glance, maybe a few minutes - that work for you?

I am going to keep the last one, because my intention is should I reach stage 5, I want to start teleporting objects into people to ruin their days.

I was acting under the impression that each of the "schools" of magic was inherent to a specific race, but I will add it in if you think it needed.

any other suggestions/comments/concerns?

hiei82:
snip

It seems that if teleporting people would kill them, that would make a really good attack. Like "Oh no, the big giant super bad guy has come- oh wait you tossed him in to the void and put little effort in it so he died a horrible death."

drmigit2:

hiei82:
snip

It seems that if teleporting people would kill them, that would make a really good attack. Like "Oh no, the big giant super bad guy has come- oh wait you tossed him in to the void and put little effort in it so he died a horrible death."

Yeah... I didn't mean it that way. My main plan is to shoot my crossbow through a portal into random people from odd angles - at least at early stages.

Later I want to be able to use all the fun ways of stopping people with teleportation (my favorite by far is to teleport a 1000 lb boulder into a person's stomach and watch as physics dictates the winner.) - that's why I want the ability to teleport things to places I can't see but know the rough location of; it's hard to SEE into someone's stomach. I figure by the time we reach stage 6, there will be plenty of ways to combat ingenious use of teleportation.

hiei82:
snip

Not the point I was making, if teleporting other people kills them unless you specifically try hard to not kill them, you could just teleport the bad guy and kill him that way. Idk how to make it balanced, perhaps making it force a connection between the two of you, so if the person you teleport dies you do too, but you basically gave yourself an insta kill.

drmigit2:

hiei82:
snip

Not the point I was making, if teleporting other people kills them unless you specifically try hard to not kill them, you could just teleport the bad guy and kill him that way. Idk how to make it balanced, but you basically gave yourself an insta kill.

Thats the reason I'm going to change it to "willing targets only" for the teleportation - GM approval of course.

I was just never able to wrap my head around the idea of someone not being able to be teleported because they accomplished the cosmically insignificant job of having some complex chemical reactions going on inside. I understand it's a balancing mechanic, but it hurts the part of my brain that uses physics and wrecks my suspension of disbelief.

Hence, different mechanic - no unwilling targets. a rock has no will (honey rock doesn't care), so it's a fair target, but a a person has the will to resist so it might not want to go. admittedly, that doesn't prevent me from teleporting others at stage 2 (which is a problem), but whatever, I can figure it out later.

Well, there are very few people under 100 lb. Should not be a huge problem.

hiei82:
snip

1. The willing target idea is fine enough with.

2. I think 10-20 times a day (depending on how rested you are) before you start getting tired would be fine.

3. Accurate memory will be fine

4. In short, no lodging objects in peoples brains. In long, I can accept the teleporting to places you have the general idea under one condition, the object teleported gets destroyed if it takes up the same place as another solid object, this is just to make you character a bit more cautious using the power and to make it you can't just easily kill off some of the tougher enemies as combating rock in brain is kinda hard.

drmigit2:
snip.

I presume by your posting in this thread you are interested.

I'll think about this one.

nuba km:

hiei82:
snip

2. I think 10-20 times a day (depending on how rested you are) before you start getting tired would be fine.

4. In short, no lodging objects in peoples brains. In long, I can accept the teleporting to places you have the general idea under one condition, the object teleported gets destroyed if it takes up the same place as another solid object, this is just to make you character a bit more cautious using the power and to make it you can't just easily kill off some of the tougher enemies as combating rock in brain is kinda hard.

drmigit2:
snip.

1-3. will make the changes shortly.

4. Actually, dodging a rock to the brain is easy - move. Logically, there is a time delay between when I would make the calculation of target location and when the teleport occurs because the human brain can only do so many things at once. If a big tough enemy is charging/zig-zaging/moving, I won't know exactly where he/she is, so doing something as precise as "put a rock inside his brain" would be difficult. Now, if we catch said target off guard while he/she is sleeping, they really have no excuse and would die by Anani mazin's Zeus-like lightning strikes as easily as rock to the brain. (assuming we move up stages at roughly the same rate). That's not to say the rock to the brain can't be done (tricky maneuvering and predicting enemy actions and all that) but it would be about as easy as hitting someone in the head with a crossbow. It also would not preclude hitting someone in the torso because its larger (Out of game read: less immediately lethal) target - it's powerful (stage 5 for a reason) but hardly an insta-kill move.

If you would prefer, I could instead make the character be against killing people, preventing her from putting rocks in brains not by mechanics but by character.

The only reason I combat your solution (objects are destroyed when trying to move into occupied space) is that most of my plans involve delivering objects via rifts (make a ladder up a wall, pin enemy to ground via crossbow bolts through his clothing, poison into the stomach, etc) but if the objects get destroyed when they reappear, that makes my powers all but useless save running away and maybe defensively - and those only stage 3+ where the mass restriction is small enough.

hiei82:

nuba km:

hiei82:
snip

drmigit2:
snip.

1-3. will make the changes shortly.

4. Actually, dodging a rock to the brain is easy - move. Logically, there is a time delay between when I would make the calculation of target location and when the teleport occurs because the human brain can only do so many things at once. If a big tough enemy is charging/zig-zaging/moving, I won't know exactly where he/she is, so doing something as precise as "put a rock inside his brain" would be difficult. Now, if we catch said target off guard while he/she is sleeping, they really have no excuse and would die by Anani mazin's Zeus-like lightning strikes as easily as rock to the brain. (assuming we move up stages at roughly the same rate). That's not to say the rock to the brain can't be done (tricky maneuvering and predicting enemy actions and all that) but it would be about as easy as hitting someone in the head with a crossbow. It also would not preclude hitting someone in the torso because its larger (Out of game read: less immediately lethal) target - it's powerful (stage 5 for a reason) but hardly an insta-kill move.

If you would prefer, I could instead make the character be against killing people, preventing her from putting rocks in brains not by mechanics but by character.

The only reason I combat your solution (objects are destroyed when trying to move into occupied space) is that most of my plans involve delivering objects via rifts (make a ladder up a wall, pin enemy to ground via crossbow bolts through his clothing, poison into the stomach, etc) but if the objects get destroyed when they reappear, that makes my powers all but useless save running away and maybe defensively - and those only stage 3+ where the mass restriction is small enough.

I am fine with you throwing a boulder point plank at someones face, as you know a giant monster or wizard can survive or block it, like the zues bolt. Also I think there may be a misunderstanding, I am just saying you can't make a rift inside someone and just place a rock in them, I am perfectly fine with you blasting rocks out of portals like cannonballs that appear out of thin air. And the gets destroyed suggestion is if part of it is inside a wall or a tree or a person etc. when it re appears.

Well, you've gotten a bit better since Shadows, Nuba! Mind if I join?

nuba km:

I am fine with you throwing a boulder point plank at someones face, as you know a giant monster or wizard can survive or block it, like the Zeus bolt. Also I think there may be a misunderstanding, I am just saying you can't make a rift inside someone and just place a rock in them, I am perfectly fine with you blasting rocks out of portals like cannonballs that appear out of thin air. And the gets destroyed suggestion is if part of it is inside a wall or tree when it re appears.

... the cannon-ball thing would make my character more powerful rather then less powerful, because to enact the cannon-ball thing, I would need to change the "must maintain momentum" rule so that it works at lower stages; I do want to be able to make a ladder/pin someone to the ground early on. If that were the case, I could effectively accomplish the same effect (put a rock in someone's head) at stage 1 (instead of 5) by turning up the speed of something tossed through and opening the rift an inch from the bad guy's face - no room to dodge and no way to survive high speed rocks to the face (aside from "a wizard did it"). To prevent this, I would need to make a limit for how much the object can be accelerated and significantly reduce the mass limit (which would in turn delay her ability to teleport herself to stage 4 or higher)

Worse, there would no longer be any reason for her to carry a crossbow if she can do the same effect with her powers, which really changes the look and feel I was going for with the character (I was imagining the character dressed in either a dress or street cloths, holding a hand-crossbow in the James Bond stance *see below*)

I'm not saying that the "rock in the brain" technique should be allowed (I can see the problems with it, hence why I offered two other solutions), I just don't like the changes to the character your original solution would require.

Now with (90% of Edit: all of) required/suggested edits!

hiei82:

nuba km:

I am fine with you throwing a boulder point plank at someones face, as you know a giant monster or wizard can survive or block it, like the Zeus bolt. Also I think there may be a misunderstanding, I am just saying you can't make a rift inside someone and just place a rock in them, I am perfectly fine with you blasting rocks out of portals like cannonballs that appear out of thin air. And the gets destroyed suggestion is if part of it is inside a wall or tree when it re appears.

... the cannon-ball thing would make my character more powerful rather then less powerful, because to enact the cannon-ball thing, I would need to change the "must maintain momentum" rule so that it works at lower stages; I do want to be able to make a ladder/pin someone to the ground early on. If that were the case, I could effectively accomplish the same effect (put a rock in someone's head) at stage 1 (instead of 5) by turning up the speed of something tossed through and opening the rift an inch from the bad guy's face - no room to dodge and no way to survive high speed rocks to the face (aside from "a wizard did it"). To prevent this, I would need to make a limit for how much the object can be accelerated and significantly reduce the mass limit (which would in turn delay her ability to teleport herself to stage 4 or higher)

Worse, there would no longer be any reason for her to carry a crossbow if she can do the same effect with her powers, which really changes the look and feel I was going for with the character (I was imagining the character dressed in either a dress or street cloths, holding a hand-crossbow in the James Bond stance *see below*)

I'm not saying that the "rock in the brain" technique should be allowed (I can see the problems with it, hence why I offered two other solutions), I just don't like the changes to the character your original solution would require.

the cannon ball thing was for your last stage not the other ones, I presumed in terms of combat you were planning object drops/blocking pathways combined with weapon for the early stages.

EDIT: just add anything that stops your character form being able to place a rock in someone's brain and I am sure your power will be fine.

Xero Scythe:
Well, you've gotten a bit better since Shadows, Nuba! Mind if I join?

just make a character sheet and we will find out, and yes I got a lot better since shadows

Here is my character.

Floris2123:
snip

Ash, William... Do you get a chainsaw and a shotgun? ^_^

Hiei82
Ash, William... Do you get a chainsaw and a shotgun? ^_^

Yes but only half way through when he loses his right hand ;D

Alright, I'll give it a try: [EDITED]

maninahat:
Alright, I'll give it a try:

one major problem with you sheet, this is a group of enhanced beings not magic users, the magic users that aren't part of the war are the busy taking turns helping with the shield spell, also magic takes time to progress so it doesn't go up in stages and any necromancer more powerful then you could turn your magic against you.

nuba km:

maninahat:

one major problem with you sheet, this is a group of enhanced beings not magic users, the magic users that aren't part of the war are the busy taking turns helping with the shield spell, also magic takes time to progress so it doesn't go up in stages and any necromancer more powerful then you could turn your magic against you.

I'm confused. I thought our "enhanced beings" could use magic as well as powers? Does that mean none of the enhanced beings should be magically orientated? no wizard type classes?

maninahat:

nuba km:

maninahat:

I'm confused. I thought our "enhanced beings" could use magic as well as powers? Does that mean none of the enhanced beings should be magically orientated? no wizard type classes?

I forgot to mention that enhanced beings can't learn magic, when I realised this mistake earlier today I just thought no one would make a character with both magic powers and super powers, I mean you can keep the same ability but just it won't be necromancy it would be your power, I mean you can have a somewhat more powerful ability as your character is pretty weak stat wise. You could also create a new character now that you know this and if you decide to make a character who has studied magic for what ever reason there will be some info about magic I will need to pm you.

nuba km:

maninahat:

nuba km:

I forgot to mention that enhanced beings can't learn magic, when I realised this mistake earlier today I just thought no one would make a character with both magic powers and super powers, I mean you can keep the same ability but just it won't be necromancy it would be your power, I mean you can have a somewhat more powerful ability as your character is pretty weak stat wise. You could also create a new character now that you know this and if you decide to make a character who has studied magic for what ever reason there will be some info about magic I will need to pm you.

That puts a spanner in the works. I'll strip out the magic elements from the character, and make him into an idiot strongman type. I'm not too concerned about him having low stats - I figured it would be more interesting, story wise, to have less capable characters coming along for the ride.

maninahat:

nuba km:

maninahat:

That puts a spanner in the works. I'll strip out the magic elements from the character, and make him into an idiot strongman type. I'm not too concerned about him having low stats - I figured it would be more interesting, story wise, to have less capable characters coming along for the ride.

well sent me a message when you are finished editing the sheet.
EDIT: never mind

maninahat:

OK just making one thing clear unless a plant was previously able to move your power can't make it move, but don't worry there will be killer plants, especially once we get to abumot were you can find just about anything dead.

nuba km:

maninahat:

OK just making one thing clear unless a plant was previously able to move your power can't make it move, but don't worry there will be killer plants, especially once we get to abumot were you can find just about anything dead.

That's fine. I wanted the power to have a degree of randomness to it, making it a potential liability as well as a benefit. A small jungle appearing in the middle of a street could be inconvenient for everyone, but might have some alternate uses for the imaginative.

Xero Scythe:
snip

Evrant:
snip

you have 24hours to come up with a character sheet if your are still interested.

hiei82:
snip

unless said otherwise in the next 24 hours I presume that the stage 5 limit for the general direction and distance is just you can't teleport things into a living thing as that all I need for the power not to be classified OP.

Ok, so what are the tech limits for humans? I was considering making a mage hunter character but I need to know the tech available.

drmigit2:
Ok, so what are the tech limits for humans? I was considering making a mage hunter character but I need to know the tech available.

crossbows are in very limited supply only the rich, military and black market has them. Same is true for assasin creed like bombs (i.e. pirate bombs scaled down).

So...late Renaissance period tech?

Redryhno:
So...late Renaissance period tech?

for rich humans, human military and black market yes for other races they don't even have crossbows (but they have the superior magic and numbers by far).

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 51 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here