Cannon fodder (fantasy superpower rp) (closed, started)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 . . . 51 NEXT

"I have no business in that town," Rias said sounding distant, William wondered if she was still mad about earlier."Two to three weeks. I'll change your dressing every couple days to keep it clean, maybe less frequently later, we'll see how it goes." He looked a bit horrified, but he just managed to mask it as concern. "Huh. I forgot about this," Ivaan said holding a strange rock like thing."It's from that creature Karen and Rias were fighting earlier.....Maybe there will come a way to communicate with it, in time." Having one of those rock monsters on their side would be quite handy, so he didn't object.

"That's not true; I owe you and Mr. Bom an apology and a few drinks." Claire said standing up. "For what happened with that foolish old thief. All other things coincided that's really kinda of a minor issue, so you and me are fine, since really, nether side had any proof to back up their position." He was happy to hear that, but then came something that surprised him. "HIM on the other hand. He's on my 'shit list', and not in the same way you where." He looked at Rias with an surprised look. Was this all because he hadn't agreed with her plan earlier? That plan meant abandoning his mission, and his superiors wouldn't have liked that. Bom then interjected "Erm, Ms, perhaps this isn't the...uh, the time...we have a reward to claim, and I'd like to spend it all as soon as possible..."

William agreed with that, he had decided they would stay in the city for a while. He looked at Bom, he had always shown to be trust worthy, he guessed it was time to forgive him. "Your right Mr Bom, we should relocate the wounded first and see them tended to....But this matter between me and William will be settled afterward" she said before going over to Ivaan. William sighed, what was it with people and questioning his authority. "Fine we will settle this matter as soon as we are back in the city," he said before looking at Claire and her wounded arm. He walked over to her, while his stomach once again twisted remembering he was the reason for her wound. "Are you okay Claire? Can I help you somehow?" he asked not bothering to hide his worry and concern.

"Can we at least continue this discussion outside?" Reetch cut in over the bustle, "We've been in this tomb for longer then I would like, and this place is creeping me out."

Even with the possibility that the necromancer had still perished, being in an almost pitch black underground resting place for the dead didn't sit well with him any better. He took his staff and shrank it back down to it's original state of a handful of twigs, which he carefully put back into his bag. He scurried to the front and, somewhat impatiently, waited for the others to catch up.

Ivaan hopped to his feet and carefully followed Reetch, limping.
"Reetch, could you whip a crutch up for me please?"

"Reetch, could you whip a crutch up for me please?"

Reetch looked Ivaan up and down, measuring him up in his minds eye, before disappearing into the darkness. A few moments of scuffling and clapping of hooves he was back, a fairly ancient branch in his hands. Gripping it, the wood warped like before, holding it against the bear Reetch grew the branch out to roughly come up to Ivaan's shoulder, before making the top most part split and create a crutch-like shoulder rest.

"It should hold out until you get into town at least. The wood is rather old, but is the thickest and strongest I could find at such short notice. I would use my own supply of wood..." He gestured to his bag. "But I doubt I could make it strong enough for anyone heavier then me."

Bom turned towards the exit of the tunnel.

"Time to go? Maybe we should bring along a couple of these dead necromancers too," he said, looking over all the dead bodies that were presumably left by the stone giant, "we might get a bonus for the others!"

He stooped and pushed over one of the corpses. He then began looting it for anything of value.

"Are you okay Claire? Can I help you somehow?" William said, his voice filled with concern. Claire smiled in return, despite the pain in the arm. "Thank you William, but I'll be fine." she said, putting on her brave face. In all honesty, her arm screamed out in pain every time she moved, but she didn't want him worrying about her. "Though, with any luck, we can find a healer back in town - I don't know how I feel about waiting around in this town for two weeks while my arm heals." She leaned in close to William and added, in a hushed voice "and maybe you should use that time to make peace with Rias; she seems pretty upset."

"Time to go? Maybe we should bring along a couple of these dead necromancers too," Mr. Bom said, tearing her from her thoughts. "That's right; we were supposed to bring back Abumot's head weren't we?" she thought, going down to the caved in tomb to see if sh could make a guess where the necromancer ended up buried.

"It should hold out until you get into town at least. The wood is rather old, but is the thickest and strongest I could find at such short notice.

Rias heard Reetch's comment as she walked over to Ivaan, and added her own energy to the stick he found, strengthening it as well as widening the 'foot' so it was less likely to sink into the mud and cause a fall. "There, now there's no potential problem at all" she said when she got to the pair "How you feeling? deep woulds like that can really mess with a person" Rias said to Ivaan, all the hostility, and 'distance' she'd directed toward William noticeably not present.

"That's right; we were supposed to bring back Abumot's head weren't we?"

Karen took a look at the group and the shape they where in, and sighed inwardly at what she was about to say "Lets not push our luck any further shall we? It's not like we're in the shape to deal with him and if he's still alive under there, I say we leave him, and no, I really don't care how that bitch in town will re-act, it'd be foolish to re-engage in our current condition" she said, as she dug two of her clawed finger between her for arm-scales in penance for a self perceived 'act of cowardice'.

"Can we at least continue this discussion outside? We've been in this tomb for longer then I would like, and this place is creeping me out." Reetch said as he headed for the exit. Ivaan then hopped towards Reetch and asked "Reetch, could you whip a crutch up for me please?" Reetch made a crutch for Ivaan and said "It should hold out until you get into town at least. Bom then spoke up "Time to go? Maybe we should bring along a couple of these dead necromancers too," William didn't want to carry corpses around with him.

"Thank you William, but I'll be fine.....for two weeks while my arm heals." She leaned in closer to him and said "And maybe you should use that time to make peace with Rias; she seems pretty upset." He wanted to make it right with Rias, even though he felt like he had done nothing wrong. Claire then said "That's right; we were supposed to bring back Abumot's head weren't we?" He looked back at the rubble, trying to get his head was a foolish idea to say the least.

"It should hold out until you get into town at least. The wood is rather old, but is the thickest and strongest I could find at such short notice." Rias began helping Ivaan and Reetch too. Karen meanwhile said "Lets not push our luck any further shall we? It's not like we're in the shape to deal with him and if he's still alive under there." He couldn't agree more, "Everyone lets go." William then offered his help to Claire and after that he headed out of the cave.

"We shall become stronger over time. And that... creature will learn to fear us another day."
Ivaan winced and thankfully took the crutch. Ivaan was thankful for it's support, and the wood was sturdy; when he leaned on it it didn't give so much as a creak.
"Well, I'm ready to get moving on."

Claire followed with a shrug. If he was dead, it wasn't going anywhere and if he was alive, they didn't want to dig him up anyway. "Yes sir." she said, happy to get out of the tomb. When William offered his help, she gladly took it - though given the injury wasn't her legs she hardly needed it. She mostly did so because she thought the way William was acting was sweet; something she found rather cute.

When the group left the tomb most of the fires in it had died down, this allowed the group to see into the rooms as they past through, making them realise this place was more build like a mansion of stone then a tomb. Dining hall, lounges with broken pianos even bathroom could be seen. The groups steps and other noises echoed through the hollow structure easily.

When the group reached the town again there was a male yama atop the walls to greed them, with avada no where in sight the yama said with little enthusiasm 'We could use some good news right now, so did you do it? Have you sent abumot back were he came from?'

Ivaan looked pointedly at will to see what he was going to say, before murmuring "We may have to return here and finish the job. I wouldn't lie to our allies in the area. Perhaps tell them we buried him and are going to make sure he stays buried? That's the... truth."

Both Rias and Karen had broken away from the group as the approached the town to head to the clearing to collect they're things, which didn't take long, but they did miss the question asked by the guard

The trip back to city has been rather uneventful, expect for both Rias and Karen not wanting to enter the city. When they finally reached it the Yama's on the wall greeted them, and one of them shouted 'We could use some good news right now, so did you do it? Have you sent Abumot back were he came from?' Ivaan then whispered to them. "We may have to return here and finish the job. I wouldn't lie to our allies in the area. Perhaps tell them we buried him and are going to make sure he stays buried? That's the... truth." he responded by whispering "I wasn't planning to lie to them, so don't worry about it Ivaan." He then looked up and said, "We have news. But my mission is to tell it to your leader first, in private. So could you please call for her, or let us into the city?"

There was a moment of silence as the yamma looked at his fet before raising his head and saying 'avada was killed not soon after you left by a rattling reaper cobra, I am next in charge so tell me the news' The other yama on the wall conferment what he was saying.

'avada was killed not soon after you left by a rattling reaper cobra, I am next in charge so tell me the news'

'That takes talent, out of all the things in this country actively trying to kill you, she manages to get killed by one of the few that would rather avoid trouble' Rias thought "Due to a deteriorating situation, we left him buried under several tons of rock, soil and swamp." she said, crossing her arms

Karen didn't even give the news of a 'meh' reaction

Bom blinked. He was momentarily sad to hear the old gal had gone, but it seemed like a damn silly thing to get bitten by. Especially when you were as cautious as Avada had been.

"I don't envy you your job," Bom shouted up at the new guy. "So...er...if we could just claim our fee? Twas a very dangerous job, sir! Very important mission and all."

"So...er...if we could just claim our fee? Twas a very dangerous job, sir! Very important mission and all."

'OF COURSE!' he shouted before pausing for a moment 'is what I would say if I saw abumot's decapitated head, which at the moment I do not'

both Rias and Karen perked p at Mr Bom when he said 'fee'

"Fee? What fee?" Her gaze drifting toward William, the anger she felt in the tomb starting to bubble back up.

"Fee? What fee?" Rias said, her gaze shifting toward William

"While we were in town-" Claire said, giving Rias and Karen the context "-we discovered that a rather unscrupulous nobleman from Embla - Harvey Treasach - was trying to make a deal with Abumot. The message was intercepted by the Yama of this town. We agreed to kill Abumot in return for the evidence against him; two evil birds for one stone." Claire said it all impassively - it had been a good deal, where everyone - save two megalomaniacs - got what they wanted.

Rias calmed a bit, though started smirking at the irony. Given she was laying the ground work to basically do the same thing

"I assume this is what you needed the head for? Bummer, it can just stay buried" Karen said loosening a bit, the hint that she'd been used as an assassin caused her to tense a bit, she hated assassins, cowards in her mind

Ivaan raised an eyebrow at the idea of a rattling reaper cobra;
"Rattling reaper cobra, I remember hearing it's venom turns the blood of the victim into a tar like substance in less then a minute. The antidote is hard to make and takes about an hour, I could whip some up as a safety net for your people if you can supply the materials. Also we'd need to be let in, of course."

'Avada was killed not soon after you left by a rattling reaper cobra, I am next in charge so tell me the news' She was dead huh? He hadn't liked her, but he didn't wish her to die. His party members responded about the same to the conversation part as normal. Rias was rude, Bom wanted money or something. "So...er...if we could just claim our fee? Twas a very dangerous job, sir! Very important mission and all." That fee isn't money Bom.. 'OF COURSE! Is what I would say if I saw abumot's decapitated head, which at the moment I do not' William sighed, he had to explain this whole thing to him now.

"Fee? What fee?" William looked at Rias, she was obviously angry. Is she really that thick? I am rich I don't need an reward for myself! Claire then explained the payment, saving him the trouble of having to speak with her. "While we were in town, we discovered that a rather unscrupulous nobleman from Embla was trying to make a deal with Abumot. The message was intercepted by the Yama of this town. We agreed to kill Abumot in return for the evidence against him; two evil birds for one stone." Karen then spoke "I assume this is what you needed the head for? Bummer, it can just stay buried" William sighed, why his less social party members always wanted to speak up was beyond him.

"I am sorry to say that we don't have his head with us. You see I threw an spear right through his chest, destroying his vital organs. Claire here also stabbed him multiple times, but he just didn't die. He had a lot of undeads in the tomb with him, and we couldn't get near him. So when the cave collapsed he was buried underneath the rocks, so I am afraid we don't have his head for you." William explained looking up at the new leader.

"I am sorry to say that we don't have his head with us. You see I threw an spear right through his chest, destroying his vital organs. Claire here also stabbed him multiple times, but he just didn't die. He had a lot of undeads in the tomb with him, and we couldn't get near him. So when the cave collapsed he was buried underneath the rocks, so I am afraid we don't have his head for you." William explained looking up at the new leader.

Bom had a thought.

"I know, we could show you where he's buried!" He said. "Perhaps that would be enough? You could even dig him up if you really want to be sure. Being Abumot and all, it is probably worth the trouble..."

He eyed the new guy. He was frustrated that he wouldn't take them on face value, and he didn't see any other way to prove it to him.

'Soooo... you are actually unsure if you killed him and instead of finishing your job and getting his head, you instead came back here and then expect me to leave the only area I know is save until he is dead for sure, to finish your job, and you have no big reason for doing so' the yama then took a momment to think 'Is there anything else before you go back and get the head or do you have some really good reason you can't go and finish your job, which should be pretty save considering you think your target may be dead'

Rias gave this Yama the 'your an idiot look' "what part of 'several tons of rock soil and swamp water' makes digging down to and getting the head of a seemingly immortal mage sound feasible?" she said, both annoyed and talking down to him.

Karen just stopped paying attention, this guy clearly didn't understand what he was talking about and she didn't care what happened to this town one way or the other, she'd already gotten what she wanted, and then some.

"Soooo... you are actually unsure if you killed him and instead of finishing your job and getting his head, you instead came back here and then expect me to leave the only area I know is save until he is dead for sure, to finish your job, and you have no big reason for doing so' the yama then took a momment to think 'Is there anything else before you go back and get the head or do you have some really good reason you can't go and finish your job, which should be pretty save considering you think your target may be dead"

Bom took a moment to parse this. He hadn't expected this sort of disagreement.

"We didn't have to help you with this problem, we didn't have to off the great Abumot himself, so the least you could do is spare a couple of folk to look over his final resting place. It's not like you have other plans, and judging by how Avada died, I can't imagine them being much safer behind those walls anyway."

He stopped to think, and then looked up at him again.

"...And we might need shovels."

"what part of 'several tons of rock soil and swamp water' makes digging down to and getting the head of a seemingly immortal mage sound feasible?"

'and what is part of 'kill abumot and bring proof and we will give you a reward' is so hard to understand'

"We didn't have to help you with this problem, we didn't have to off the great Abumot himself, so the least you could do is spare a couple of folk to look over his final resting place. It's not like you have other plans, and judging by how Avada died, I can't imagine them being much safer behind those walls anyway."

"...And we might need shovels."

'now the only reason something like that happened is because we let some outsiders in because they found it unreasonable for us to mistrust them, they thought it was unreasonable for us to presume that letting them in might get someone killed, they thought we were being rude and not just realistic. Though we can give you shovels but we are just gonna throw them down from the wall, you guys can spent some time digging while we try to make sure that no more valued members of society get killed because some outsider wants us to trust them for no good reason other then "we have no reason to mistrust them". '

'and what is part of 'kill abumot and bring proof and we will give you a reward' is so hard to understand'

Rias quirked an eye brow "You all made that deal with them, not me. Nor did they bother to inform me such a deal existed, not that it really matters given how far south thing where going. I'd had still caved the tomb in on him even if I'd know about it. Keeping the team alive is for more important to me then some arbitrary deal you probably forced on them." Rias then used her power to form a hand, again, clawed, for reasons she was sure of, and pulled a map for her pack, and started going over it, planning her next destination.

Karen yawned, stretched and then winced, have been reminded of the hole in her chest "Oh, right, that..." she said to her self before going through her own pack to find something to dress the wound with.

'...Though we can give you shovels but we are just gonna throw them down from the wall, you guys can spent some time digging while we try to make sure that no more valued members of society get killed because some outsider wants us to trust them for no good reason other then "we have no reason to mistrust them".'

"Huh, we must be dealing with the brains of this outfit," Bom said to himself.

Bom turned to Rias, who already was planning their next journey.

"We can't leave now. Not with supplies as low as they are. I don't fancy walking through the rest of Abumot territory without a decent stock. Besides, we deserve a reward!"

He turned to the rest.

"I say we take the shovels and get this over with. With our powers, we'd probably get the job done in no time!"

"We can't leave now. Not with supplies as low as they are. I don't fancy walking through the rest of Abumot territory without a decent stock. Besides, we deserve a reward!"

"Who's 'we'? I'm planning my trek back home, I'm not going to put my self at further risk for them, not worth what ever one sided reward you ended up agreeing on" Rias didn't even look up from the map.

Karen looked up from her pack, surprised by what Rias said "You doing what now?"

Ivaan grumbled, rubbing his forehead and leaning heavily on his crutch.
He was getting seriously pissed off by this point, with the sniping between the group and their so called "Allies", as well as Rias' blatant cries for attention reaching fever pitch.
On top of this he was fairly sure the stitches in his leg were going to come loose if he exerted himself any more.

"Rias, come now, we aren't here to have a fight. let's just get this over with and head back to will's superiors."
Ivaan muttered gruffly as he felt a pang of pain as he shifted his weight slightly.
"Then again, if you care about us so little you're fine with letting us face what may very well be our deaths without you, then you're free to go. I suppose I thought more highly of you than the kind of person to leave their friends to die while she goes home nice and safe."

Ivaan turned, shooting the new 'Leader' a dark look and saying "No wonder your city's in such a horrid state, you treat your allies like enemies, and you're so scared of work that you'll send the injured and tired in your stead. Go on, then. Give us the shovels and we'll go, without rest nor recuperation, and leave you behind your nice thick walls."

"Then again, if you care about us so little you're fine with letting us face what may very well be our deaths without you, then you're free to go. I suppose I thought more highly of you than the kind of person to leave their friends to die while she goes home nice and safe."

Rias used her power to pull a rock over putting it right behind Ivaan, then repositioned her self in-front of him "First of all, Sit, and stay off that leg while you can, secondly, do not even start that 'moral black mail' crap with me. The general that sent us out here, with the exception of William, picked all of us at random off the street, for a suicide mission, let that sink in for a moment. Then let this sink in, what motivation should I have to follow an order given by the general of a country that has effectively dis-owned me for 'the crime' of being born, and then there's this" pointing to the city more then anything else "This is not my first time dealing with idiots like this, it only intolerable now because we're here to help these people and they treat us like the whole thing is our fault, and the next two stops are country's that actively dislike people like us, which adds the question of 'why should I care what happens to some one who hates me for being born a certain way', that's not even factoring in the disrespect William him self handed handed me, after all, if the leader of the group doesn't trust my judgement, or even pause for a moment to find the motivation for my actions, and through his own effectively call me 'worthless' why should I continue to follow this person" as Rias went on her tone became increasingly angry, she paused and took a few deep breaths to calm her self a bit, it wasn't Ivaan's fault after all

"It's nothing against you, or Claire, or Bom, or Reetch or Karen, I have had doubts about weather or not I should even be here for a LONG time. I'm not a solider, nor a Noble bound by duty to they're country, like William or Claire, nor am I here 'cause 'it's where the party is' like Karen, or because it's the 'right thing to do', like you and Reetch. I don't know why I'm here, putting my life on the line for country's that ether actively hate me or have abandoned me, and if you have no reason to fight, you shouldn't be fighting at all"

Bom listened in on Rias and Ivaan's argument. It hadn't really occurred to him how often they'd been getting the bum's rush from the people they were supposed to be helping. It was a dangerous, unpleasant job, and they had been doing it without commendation or reward this whole time. Joining Abumot might have been a better decision - he at least didn't imprison, threaten, or cheat the group for trying to do their job. The longer Bom thought about it, the less it seemed like the grand vital mission he envisioned, and more like the shit end of the stick.

"Rias..." he said slowly, "you're completely right. But what do we do? Go home? Back to my bunkhouse and my job on the docks? We are always going to be hated, wherever we go. But this might be our only chance to be appreciated. That imbecile up there might not see it yet, but there will be a time where he and everyone will thank us for what we did. And then reward us for it! Isn't that worth it?"

Pages PREV 1 . . . 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 . . . 51 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked