Cannon fodder (fantasy superpower rp) (closed, started)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 . . . 51 NEXT

'Now I don't want to waste too much daylight and be caught out in the swamp at night so can we get on with what ever you guys want to dig up.'

"Good idea. Shall we get to it?"

Bom gestured with his shovel and made towards the cave in. He now fixed his mind upon how they were going to move so many tons of earth and stone, and still hope to find what was left of Abumot.

"Claire. Your power - can you use it to move earth?"

"Claire. Your power - can you use it to move earth?" Mr. Bom asked, trying to figure out how to move all the earth. Claire nodded. "That was the plan." she said, then created a portal to demonstrate. Swinging it through the ground, she left a long, shallow trench in the stone and a pile of rubble to the side. "Though I think it will take a long time regardless of my power" she added, noting how little actual rock she'd moved.

Karen came back up to Claire William and Bom " Well the good news is, so far the cave in seems to have done the job, I didn't see anything to indicate Abumot survived, though I did ask Sleipnir to scan for his mind" she said to the group as a whole before pulling William aside, rather unsubtly "Sleipnir also said you lizard friend is really just in a hurry to get us out of here, there's something valuable here and the Hansav thinks he's close" Karen said in a low tone so that only she and William could hear

The rest of the group hardly looked the most burly, Ivaan and Karen accepted, Bom knew he'd have to do most of the graft. The sight of Claire's powers changed that though. He then wondered if Reetch could do anything to help as well. Funny that the two slightest members of the group could do the heaviest lifting.

He started hauling stone and soil from the cave in. It occured to him that they were going to have to move so much earth, they would have to deposit it into the rooms around them.

"Reetch, can you do anything?" said Bom, after a couple of shovel loads. "Also, that room was pretty big and we've got a lot of this stuff to move. Can anyone figure out in which direction we need to dig?"

Ivaan waved his hands in the air vaguely, and said "We all feel like that sometimes. when I was exiled I didn't know what to do to myself" Ivaan shrugged "If you need to soul-search, who am I to talk you out of it."

The others joined Ivaan and rias, and Ivaan looked up, smiling, "I'm not sure I'm going to be much help in the physical labour department. I don't want to pull my stitches."

Ivaan had an idea as he sat, elbows on knees, looking down at the cave floor.

"Hey, give me your water canteen, I want to try something." He said to no-one in particular.

Claire asked the Hansav about the mage he had encountered, which was a very good idea. Fighting a mind controlling person would be hard, to say the very least. 'I am not going on the same suicide mission twice...and then get on my way.' The Hansav seemed to be a bit scared, still it wasn't very surprising. 'He was some bear dude, gray hair staff using mage....We get on with what ever you guys want to dig up.' A bear? Maybe he should ask Ivaan about him, he might know a bit about him.

Karen walked back up, and then said. "Well the good news is...I didn't see anything to indicate Abumot survived, though I did ask Sleipnir to scan for his mind" William sighed relived, that meant he was either dead or had escaped. She then pulled him aside, he listened to her whispering to him. "Sleipnir also said you lizard friend is really just in a hurry to get us out of here, there's something valuable here and the Hansav thinks he's close"

William rubbed his chin. Something valuable? Now that sounded interesting. He smiled to Karen and then whispered. "Thank you a lot for telling me that Karen, I am glad to see you trust me." He then turned back to the party. He was just in time to hear Ivaan speak"We all feel like that sometimes....who am I to talk you out of it." Oh right he was exiled, he had to ask why once.

"Hey, give me your water canteen, I want to try something." He said looking at the group. William grabbed one of his water canteens, and handed it to Ivaan. He then turned to the Hansav. "You know we have a telepathy in the group. So what is buried here what you want so badly?" He sounded friendly, but he did prepare the ash to attack if needed.

The hansav held his head up while letting out a wail of a groan 'AWWWW, that's not fair, can't a man's thoughts be his own. I don't know what it is I just know that its near by and its valuable, but its mine, I am the only one around here who can find it, I came here for it and I am the one who needs it' the hansav started moving around the room in his cloud form 'its also not like you can threaten me much, I am a cloud. I'll help you get your thing, and I get my thing or are you going to steal from a man who has nothing?'

Ivaan was busy pouring the water onto the clay floor and fiddling with something in the mud.
eventually, a golem in the shape of a small cat just under a foot tall stood in front of Ivaan.
With a small sigh of exertion from Ivaan It began to move.
Ivaan got his crutch and hopped to a standing position.

"There's a couple of faint life forces in the large space next to the crater. They're both tiny but I think it's our best bet. This also means that Abumont might be in some sense still alive. stay on your guard."

The small golem, more of a test run than anything, climbed up Ivaans shoulder and curled up, its empty eyes surveying the dig.

Bom continued to make work on the cave in.

"Stop talking to that puff of smoke and help with the digging!" he called to the others, "Leave him to his treasure for now."

Bom was making some headway through the rubble. Luckily, it was fairly loose, which sped up the process somewhat.

"There's a couple of faint life forces in the large space next to the crater."

"Thanks Ivaan."

Bom dug towards the referred area.

"There's a couple of faint life forces in the large space next to the crater."

Hearing Ivaan's information, Claire redirected her efforts toward the indicated spot, cutting away at the rock with renewed vigor. Rock by rock, they were making progress. Still, Ivaan's words gave her some worries. "Ivaan. Any idea how far it is? I don't want to be caught off guard when we break through." she said, trying to plan for the contingency that Abumot was both still alive and still well enough to continue their fight.

Ivaan's eyes widened.
"Stop! Stop, its behind this layer of rock. Everyone be ready, we can't know what to expect."
Ivaan backed off and channelled a boost into everyone, to be sure if the worst came to the worst they'd be ready, he then went to hide behind the front line; Rias, Claire, Karen and Bom. He knew he'd be useless in a melee.

Ivaan's cat-like golem fell from his shoulder and broke to pieces as he took back the energy he had placed in it.
"William, two ash golems, if you wouldn't mind. also, could you make them shovels they could also use as axes please?"

Bom jumped in response to Ivaan's shouting.

He tightened the grip around his shovel, and prepared himself. Whatever was on the other side wouldn't be pretty. He looked to the others to see if they were ready. Once everyone looked alert, he wiped the mud from his brow, gulped, and began to delicately prise away at the final layer of rock.

Rias hadn't really moved from where she was, just far enough to see the hole, but at Ivaan warning she spread her mist about the hole, if Abumot was still alive down there, and he attacked he would be cut to confetti instantly.

The hansav held his head up, and let out a loud groan. 'AWWWW, that's not fair, can't a man's thoughts be his own....I came here for it and I am the one who needs it.' The Hansav then changed to a cloud, and started moving around the room. 'Its also not like you can threaten me much, I am a cloud. I'll help you get your thing, and I get my thing or are you going to steal from a man who has nothing?' William looked at the cloud, he was sure that if he needed to he could hurt him somehow.

"There's a couple of faint life forces...stay on your guard." Ivaan said looking around the tomb. "Stop talking to that puff of smoke and help with the digging! Leave him to his treasure for now." William looked at the cloud, he would have to decide what to do after finding out what treasure it was. He grabbed his shovel, and began helping to the bets of his abilities. "Stop! Stop, its behind this layer of rock. Everyone be ready, we can't know what to expect."

William did a step back, and then drew his sword. "William, two ash golems, if you wouldn't mind. also, could you make them shovels they could also use as axes please?" He glanced back at Ivaan, and then nodded. A bit of ash broke off Williams armor, and then formed two human sized soldiers. Who were holding something which looked like a mix between a shovel and an axe. William then walked back to the layers of rocks, he would face whatever was on the other side. He placed his shovel into the rocks again, and continued digging. "Everyone be ready." He said as he kept digging.

The hansav floated over sleipnir 'is that a demonic unicorn? How the hell did you guys come across a demonic unicorn, even better question, why the hell is a demonic unicorn with you?' The hansav flew over to were the group was digging and soon disappeared into the cracks in the rouble, 'hey there's a corridor here' said the hansav but the sound was muffled by the rubble. A creaking noise came from were the group was digging towards/where the hansav disappeared to, when the rubble quickly moved, revealing the corridor the hansav talked about as well as burying him up to his waist in rubble. The hansav merely turned back into cloud form to get out. The movement of the rubble revealed several corpses all looking like abumot. The corridor had a trail of blood leading through it, the door at the other end was also open revealing a monolithic library.

Ivaan sent the golem that wasn't dealing with Abumont down the corridor.

"Wait, there's another life force here. not one of ours. It's... Different, somehow."
Ivaan thought about the heart he picked up earlier.
the owner, perhaps?
"Who's there? We mean no harm to the peaceful, you can come out."

"is that a demonic unicorn? How the hell did you guys come across a demonic unicorn, even better question, why the hell is a demonic unicorn with you?"

Bom looked up from his work.

"Ask those two," he said, pointing at Rias and Karen. "I can't even begin to understand it."

As he spoke, the cloud had already passed through the cracks.

"Hey!" Bom said, annoyed and surprised. As the wall came down, he tensed up...and then lowered his guard at the sight of the many dead Abumots. He was about to ask which was which, when Ivaan pointed one out. He sounded sure, but Bom wasn't. He'd seen how much damage Abumot had took, and he was still suspicious.

"Look gang, a blood trail!" he shouted, as a golem pushed past.

"Wait, there's another life force here. not one of ours. It's... Different, somehow."

Bom tensed up again. The real Abumot? Another unicorn? Something else entirely?

Claire stared down the corridor to the library, more then a little wary. by the looks of things, Abumot was probably alive. On instinct she turned to William to get a feeling of what to do. It also didn't hurt to see his face; nothing could put her more at ease. She looked him in the eyes, searching for resolve, then decided what she would do. Focusing on front of her, she opened a portal as she had before - the portal with the cutting edge. It was hard to maintain, but it was a better weapon than any she could think of.

Returning to William, she smiled wryly and said "So, you ready to go into the creepy library in the tomb after the necromancer Love?", putting on an air of confidence she wasn't sure she actually had.

Karen stood next to Claire at the opening they found, raising an eye at the 'love' comment between her and William before just heading in her self.

Rias followed a ways behind Karen, part of her still really didn't want to be here, for no other reason then she pretty much hated every one in that town and she didn't feel like giving them that 'security' of knowing Abumot was dead or not

William continued his digging, the Hansav kept talking and then floated through the creaks. "Hey there's a corridor here" He said. Then suddenly the rubble began to collapse, revealing a trail of blood and multiple Abumot that looked a like corpses. Ivaan then spoke up "Wait, there's another life force here. not one of ours. It's... Different, somehow." He placed his shovel on the ground, and then grabbed his shield. "Look gang, a blood trail!" Bom yelled as he walked into it. He sighed as he turned around, he saw Clare and smiled at her.

She was so beautiful, he was surprised it had taken him this long to realize that. She then summoned a portal, and walked over to him. "So, you ready to go into the creepy library in the tomb after the necromancer Love?" She sounded quite confident. Karen seemed to notice the comment, and they both went in. William gave Claire a reassuring smile "Everything will be fine my love, and if something does appear fine I will defend you." He said holding his shield up. "Just stick behind me, and everything will be okay." He glanced left and right, and then quickly kissed her. After that he smiled and headed into the corridor himself. And he made one of the ash golems walked over to Claire, and stay behind her ready to protect her.

Ivaan hobbled past Claire and William. These monkeys and their romance... he thought as they snuggled and slobbered over each other.
"There's another being besides Abumont. It's like nothing I've felt before..."
Ivaan pointed in the direction of Abumont's energy. "But our quarry lies in that direction. he is weak, possibly injured, but still very much alive."

The group followed the blood trail with the hansav staying at the front remaining in cloud form, the library seemed massive, the books ancient, at some point it was almost like the books were whispering in an unknown tongue into the groups ears. Once group went round the corner of one of the bookshelves, which towered over them, they saw abumot, his legs were gone, his guts and organs were hanging out, lying all around him were books as he looked through them franticly abumot didn't turn around to look at the group 'why do you want people to die? why do you seek to be the reapers of everything and everyone?' at this time a small creature barely 2 feet tall, with a circular body with two mismatched eyes and a mouth with a cluster of random teeth, its arms and legs were very thin with large feet and arms. it was carrying a stack of books larger then itself on its head 'master I have the books you want' the creature said, abumot bellowed at it 'not now number 3'

Karen took one look at the state Abumot was in and sighed, then took a seat on the floor. It was really against her personal code to attack some one that was so heavily wounded, even if he was an 'enemy'.

"I had every intention of honoring the agreement we came to before, well ... you know ..., actually I had the idea of coming back later as well, hopefully with something to let you keep on keeping on with out having to bring in unwilling test subjects" Rias said with a sigh and a shrug "Plans shot to hell now though"

"Plans shot to hell now though" Rias said with a shrug.

Claire raised an eyebrow at the comment, but let it go. She didn't really want to know what they had arranged. That's when the idea came to her. "Maybe it's not." she said to Rias, before turning to Abumot. "Can we say with some certainty now that a conflict between us isn't going to end well for anyone?" she said, indicating Abumots broken state and the many injuries of the group. With her tone of voice, she tried to make it clear that if Abumot agreed, she had more to say.

Bom was too focused on the task at hand, and didn't notice the word "love" being said. He followed the group through the library until they were met with the pitiful sight of Abumot.

Karen seemed disappointed with the situation, and Bom could understand why. Though he'd killed many things over the last couple of weeks, he'd never had to straight up execute a defenceless person. This was going to be a much harder than he first thought.

He leant over to Karen and whispered to her, in case Abumot tried listening in.

"Do we have to kill him? We could always drag him back to the gates, and let the others deal with it..."

Luckily, Claire chimed in with some kind of plan, or diplomacy, or something.

"Do we have to kill him? We could always drag him back to the gates, and let the others deal with it..."

Karen scoffed at this "They don't deserve that 'honor' of slaying him, and at this point, I'm not sure they deserves to know he lives, or if he dies. If they are so afraid that that can't at least make the effort to defend them selves, why should I be bothered to help them, filthy cowards...." She said with no shortage of 'venom'. "Besides, it's 'Rias fight' to decide, not theirs" she added.

Rias kinda rolled her eyes NOW you wanna try diplomacy ... not before when he had already agree to lay low. Rias thought, she wanted to hear what she had to say, despite her feelings of it being a little backwards that the 'diplomat' wait till after the totally avoidable fight to start doing her 'job'.

'If you have an offer just speak it instead of beating round the bush' said abumot, number 3 placed the books around abumot 'what now master?' it asked with glee 'just sit' replayed abumot, number 3 instantly blunked himself down on the floor staring blankly at abumot.

The hansav floated up the top of a book shelf into the shadows and then turned back to flesh form on top of the book shelf, curled up almost like a cat.

Karen got up, not being able to see the Hansav where see was sitting, and moving to what would likely be interpreted as a 'sentry' position behind Claire 'in-case Abumot tried something', but really she was keeping an eye on the Hansav, even now Abumot seemed to be quite reasonable still, mad, justifiably, but still reasonable, this Hansav on the other hand had been in a hurry to get rid of them since they met, and now was hiding in a dark corner, this, did not inspire trust.

Ivaan surreptitiously set up a link directly to Abumont's already faltering life force and began draining it.
He did it carefully, so as to not let Abumont notice any outside force affecting him.
It would feel as if he were drifting off to sleep.

He also set up a link to the enchanted being in Abumont's employ.

Ivaan had grown tired of this defiler's witterings.
Not that he said anything of course, he was just the figure in the back, hunched over his stick, unassuming and non-threatening.

William looked around, he was impressed the giant size of the library. Eventually they came across Abumot, laying on a table with his legs missing and his organs hanging out. There was also a small monster, which seemed to be his assistant. There was a short discussion between Rias and Claire, he decided not to interfere. He felt like he had to though, but Claire seemed to have a plan. "What kind of a plan do you have in mind Claire?" William asked, having a pretty good guess of what it was. He would prefer just to kill Abumot, but that would probably be too much to handle in their current condition.

"If you have an offer just speak it instead of beating round the bush" Abumot said, with some (understandable) annoyance in his voice.

"Well perhaps we can be a service to each other instead. Rias mentioned a deal you made with her to not use unwilling test subjects. If that's the case, then we may be able to work out a deal. We're hunting the mages who've been wreaking havoc around the five nations. But the truth is, we don't really have any information on what they're up to and where they are. We're effectively wandering the country side aimlessly trying to stop the Mages." she said, taking a breath.

"If you can swear to only stealthily work with willing subjects, and use your clout as a Necromancer to find out what the Mages are up to, than, of course we can fake your death - to preserve your cover - and help you escape. Ivaan may even be able to put you back together, though I cannot speak for his willingness to do so." she said, explaining the plan. "You get to escape and maintain your... experiments, while we gain a better chance of stopping the chaos of the out-of-control Mages. Everybody wins." she said, finishing her idea.

"That, or we fight again and again until either your head ends up on a pike in a Yama city or we end up dead. Probably both." she finished, letting the reality of the situation sink in. She turned to William - as he had final say over the plan - and waited for his input, adding "We let one fish go to catch the school." as an additional explanation.

Number 3 collapsed onto its back and started shaking, its flesh bubbling, it started letting out howls of agony. Abumot let out a groan 'looks like another flaw, on top of everything else'

Claire started making her offer, abumot let out a slight chuckle when clair said "the five nations" abumot replied once clair finished 'my flesh is too dead for animancy and too alive for carnomancy, it cannot be fixed by any methods I currently know, nor by any method I can find in these books written by some of the greatest mages of their time. What makes you think your friend here will be more successful? My allies are also all dead, the beast of stone slaughtered them all last night. I will wait before resuming my experiments but I will do what is needed for them to be successful. You may ask why I would tell you all of this, I do it because I am a honest man, unlike some among you. If you choose to kill me I ask you just one thing, preserve this' abumot said while gesturing all around the room 'it is a collection of magic notes hundreds and thousands of years old, it goes back to when we first started writing. It is a collection about everything we have learned about magic and this world and it even contains writing done in the language of magic. Even after I died the first time the homunculus kept the library up to date. If I die another could continue my research as well as research much more.' abumot looked at number 3 'it looks like the homunculus are reaching their end and it would a shame for all of this to disappear a second time with no one to preserve it. If you are not going to kill me I do not know what you can offer me beyond your service or what I can offer you.'

Ivaan stepped off. It was probably a bad idea to kill Abumont while William was talking to him.
He gave Abumont back the energy he had taken and approached the open body and looked it over.
This looks like a post mortem. How can William be this stupid? Necromancers are the pinnacle of evil. they tear the dead from their peaceful slumber and force them into servitude.

"I'm not your biggest fan, Abumont, and even if you swear to only use willing subjects I'm not sure I'd want to help you. But if that's what it takes to get you to help us, I'll stitch you back up and even jury-rig some internal structural support so your connective tissue can regrow and your liver doesn't crush your intestines."
Ivaan looked up and around the library.
"There wouldn't happen to be medical journals here would there? Or is it all necromantic drivel?"

Abumot turned to ivaan 'if your just going to use thread and needle to fix me like a puppet I will just use carnomancy and necromancy to create a servant to carry me. Also this library contains any piece of knowledge that could be found for it.'

Number 3's flesh returned to normal, it got back up and said 'sorry for that'

Ivaan pinched the bridge of his nose.
It's not that simple... Keeping people alive happens to be a lot more complicated than turning them undead, not that I'd expect you to understand. Ivaan thought.
"Alright, let's get started."

Pages PREV 1 . . . 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 . . . 51 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked