Hunter: The Vigil

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

We live in a world of darkness. All around us we can see the evils of this world, but most are willfully blind to it, preferring to believe that such evil is merely societal ills that can be corrected, and that it is a purely Human problem.

They are terribly, terribly wrong. Beings walk this Earth, monsters of legend for whom Humanity is an annoyance at best, and dinner at worst. The vast majority of Humanity will go throughout their lives and never be aware of the presences lurking in shadows beyond a faint sense of dread about the pale man they often see walking the streets at night, or the strange shapes they see moving through the trees.

In the city of Seattle, one of these dark secrets has begun a rampage against the innocents of the city, brutally and ritually murdering seventeen people. A few brave men and women stand to face this killer.

The time has come to take back the night.

Welcome to Hunter the Vigil, based on White Wolf's World of Darkness setting - both the old one and the new one, although primarily on the new one. In this RP the players will be a small group of men and women who discover the world of monsters and magic that lie beyond the veil of modern reason.

As we begin the RP, the characters - for one reason or another - will find themselves drawn into the case of the Fairmount Butcher, a serial killer that has been preying on the city for the past two months and has already killed seventeen people, seeming to be targeting specific families. Unknown to the player characters, this being is a supernatural entity.
Here are three example roles of how characters might get involved. These examples I want to be used, although if you have an idea of a character that doesn't fit one of these three, PM me and I'll see if we can hammer something out.

1: Seattle Police. These would most likely be detectives or CSIs, not beat cops. That said, I won't refuse a beat cop character if it's well thought out.

2: The bereaved, a member of one of the families targeted by the Butcher. Besides their personal connection to the case having lost a family member, the families the butcher has targeted are possessed of a taint of the supernatural, a tenuous connection to some form of monstrous blood. It should be noted this taint does not - (at least as of the start of the RP) grant any supernatural abilities, although it may have some degree of mind-altering effects.

3: The scholar, men and women who have begun to peel away the lies and discern the truth, but are most often derided as crackpots and conspiracy theorists - not surprising. Most of them -are- crackpots, their discoveries of the truth often mingled with beliefs about lizard people, international banking conspiracies, and mind-controlling fluoride.

This looks like a great and simple rp. I really hope my past experiences with rp's dont scare you off, but I'll make a character sheet just in case.

...Please read the OP. I'm not even going to look at your sheet, because your reading comprehension is nonexistent.

Prince, this set-up is feeble. I remember a previous attempt at a New World of Darkness, Hunter the Vigil as an RP and the opening post gave tenfold more information about the settings. I remember the classes, different abilities - we were supposed to make a proper sheet as if we were playing the game, but we didn't rely much on dice - only when the GM asked us to do it.

That other RP had the setting of a cataclysm happening around Texas where a rift between the world arose and creatures were free to enter the world of the humans. People couldn't even see many types of the supernatural creatures and had to go through some sort of an "event" which "opened their eyes" to evil. It was about a year later where random individuals in the city came together in a series of unfortunate events and formed a local hunter cell. Damn it man, you haven't even talked about the various tiers of organizations (Compacts and Conspiracies) of Hunters, have you? You should add it there. Unless people are well versed in this game, those that are unfamiliar won't be able to properly make a sheet.

I am interested, but as I know you I won't be able to participate in this one. It also seems more like a crime drama than an action adventure, a genre that won't work as well in this setting. I have a character in reserve for this very type of games, a homeless man, former local boxing champion wanted by the cops for breaking bail.

This is a great source for more information - http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter:_The_Vigil .
I hope this helps you with this RP. Drop me a PM if you want me to help more and participate.

Well thnx for insulting me, I hope at least one person joins your RP man. LOL

I'm not going to accept a character that flat out ignores an important part of my OP - that I wanted the sheets PMed and not posted.

And Iron Ruler, look, I'm going to be blunt - I don't care about what RPs have been done before on this subject and I don't care that you think I need to include more data. But to answer your pointless commentary, I'm not going to detail the whole setting because 1: That makes a mondo OP and 2: The characters wouldn't know any of it anyway. I'm not talking about conspiracies or compacts because they aren't relevant to this stage of the RP and when they become relevant they'll be expounded upon within the RP.

People shouldn't have a problem making a sheet, because they aren't going to be a part of a conspiracy or compact and they aren't going to be aware of the supernatural entities. That's the entire point of the first arc, an origin story, how they find the truth.

And yes, I am aware of the wiki. Thank you, Ruler.

srry still don't get what I'm missing. Care to actually TELL me so I know?

Me in the OP:
I want the sheets PMed to me, not posted in the thread.

Me again:
that I wanted the sheets PMed and not posted.

So, based on what I've gleaned from the OP, this is a Dresden Files-esque universe? Granted it sounds quite a bit darker, but the same urban magic atmosphere?

Yeah, it's more or less Urban Fantasy.

To clarify OP, when you say this is based on the World of Darkness, is there a particular preference? I mean, will this focus on Mage: The Awakening, Vampire: The Masquerade? Or is this just plain out World of Darkness, everything is involved to some degree or another?

I REALLY hope it's the last one.

EDIT: Whoops. Brain Fart. Disregard my question. Interested, but I'll wait for now.

@PrinceOfShapeir You did mention characters of this "class":
"3: The scholar, men and women who have begun to peel away the lies and discern the truth, but are most often derided as crackpots and conspiracy theorists - not surprising. Most of them -are- crackpots, their discoveries of the truth often mingled with beliefs about lizard people, international banking conspiracies, and mind-controlling fluoride."
- I would assume this would know of the other world and would require more information to run with.

I saw the thread title and thought there was going to be another sequel to Hunter: The Reckoning that was on xbox. :'C

TheIronRuler:
"3: The scholar, men and women who have begun to peel away the lies and discern the truth, but are most often derided as crackpots and conspiracy theorists - not surprising. Most of them -are- crackpots, their discoveries of the truth often mingled with beliefs about lizard people, international banking conspiracies, and mind-controlling fluoride."
- I would assume this would know of the other world and would require more information to run with.

Because again, they're intended to not really know very much. They might suspect Vampires exist, but they don't know about the Covenants or the Clans. They might have photographic evidence of Werewolves, but they know nothing about the Garou. They were never intended to know a lot more than everyone else, merely that they knew -something- wasn't right with the world. Essentially, their purpose was to be people interested in this case because they were seeking the truth, not just doing their jobs or because they wanted revenge.

PrinceOfShapeir:

TheIronRuler:

Because again, they're intended to not really know very much. They might suspect Vampires exist, but they don't know about the Covenants or the Clans. They might have photographic evidence of Werewolves, but they know nothing about the Garou. They were never intended to know a lot more than everyone else, merely that they knew -something- wasn't right with the world. Essentially, their purpose was to be people interested in this case because they were seeking the truth, not just doing their jobs or because they wanted revenge.

Prince, this clears things up. Now I understand why the Opening Post lacks information about the source-books - it's because you will be unveiling it in the RP. Then - what advantage do Scholars even have? They are not aware of anything, simply "suspicious" and they won't have any combat or weapons training. I thought that in order to balance the game somewhat these guys would know more about the other world and be an asset to the team in that manner.

You're operating under the assumption that this RP is going to be focused heavily on combat.

PrinceOfShapeir:
You're operating under the assumption that this RP is going to be focused heavily on combat.

Ok, sorry then. You should have mentioned it in the Opening Post, and if I've mistook this one to be action oriented then you can assume there would be others who would do the same.
Issue of balance - what would one gain by choosing the half crazy bastard who thinks the US government put chips in your head for lulz? The families have a supernatural background while the police department has its training. You'd be walking around like in Stein;Gate just messing around and then suddenly stumbling upon a CERN time-travelling conspiracy. IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU. AHHHH.

Would you accept a washed up ex-convict former local boxing champion that broke bail and now lives as a homeless man in the city, wanted by the law?

Yes, there is 'Hunter' in the title, which heavily implies that 'Hunting' will take place, i.e., investigation and tracking followed by the kill. -Not- the whole party getting together and kicking in the door to the local Elysium and mowing down a group of Vampires.

And Ryhno, weren't you told to -not- post in my threads, just as I was told not to post in yours?

As for you, Ruler, considering your inability to take your irritating, pointless nitpicking to PMs, I can't fathom why I'd want you in, aside from the fact that you're handy for bumping my thread regularly.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Yes, there is 'Hunter' in the title, which heavily implies that 'Hunting' will take place, i.e., investigation and tracking followed by the kill. -Not- the whole party getting together and kicking in the door to the local Elysium and mowing down a group of Vampires.

And Ryhno, weren't you told to -not- post in my threads, just as I was told not to post in yours?

As for you, Ruler, considering your inability to take your irritating, pointless nitpicking to PMs, I can't fathom why I'd want you in, aside from the fact that you're handy for bumping my thread regularly.

You haven't asked me to do so earlier. You've done the same in my RP, therefore I assumed you wouldn't mind it here. You never banned people from posting their ideas or problems here, you only asked not to post Character Sheets here. Be more specific. I don't mind having a chat in PMs, but I'm afraid you'll ignore me to death.

EDIT: This is my last post here unless you ask me to answer you here.
It appears like you don't want me to participate. Have fun without me.

EDIT2: About the bumping - I don't want you to fail. I don't mind helping to drive attention to your RP by having the conversation here. I don't hate you, as I've told you earlier I want to mend our relationship. Constructive criticism never killed anyone. I can stop if you want me to, just tell me to stop.

Well, this looks very interesting. I think it's about time I join an RP for engaging story-telling rather than flaunting badassery like it was a shiny new hat (not naming names). Firstly, I commend you, Prince, for shamelessly and openly brutalizing those that appear to have the memory of a goldfish with Alzheimer's, those who pick nits as if they were being paid by the dozen, or the disobedient undesirables. Now that the excessive ass-kissing is out of the way, I have every intention on writing up a sheet that I'll be sure to PM. I can't garuntee it'll be soon, I've been quite busy as of late, but it shall arrive nonetheless. I really hope this thing kicks off.

Mortis Nuncius:
. Firstly, I commend you, Prince, for shamelessly and openly brutalizing those that appear to have the memory of a goldfish with Alzheimer's, those who pick nits as if they were being paid by the dozen, or the disobedient undesirables.

Really? Because that was not what it looked like to me. All I saw was Prince saying shitty things to people, pretty much unprovoked.

PrinceOfShapeir:

All of what little interest I would have had died right here. And I was even willing to forget what happened here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.328448-The-Interstellar-Wars-Liberty-or-Death
And go in with an open mind.

I hope you guys don't dismiss this as some pointless comment you all hate. I get that you don't like trolls and I agree with you. But if we were sitting at a table for a real life D&D session and you talked like this I'd be staring at you goggle-eyed and slack-jawed with incredulity.

The DM should see themselves as the host, the 'servant' of the players. Their goal is to see the players have fun. The players also need to regulate among themselves to make the game viable. Have common courtesy. All of you.

I beg to differ. But that isn't important.

I think it's telling that you refer to it as "my thread" rather than "our thread". The game only happens if the DM facilitates the fun of the other players rather than themselves.

If you want me to stop replying, very well. Good luck, PrinceOfShapeir. I hope this works out for you.

Mortis Nuncius:
Well, this looks very interesting. I think it's about time I join an RP for engaging story-telling rather than flaunting badassery like it was a shiny new hat (not naming names). Firstly, I commend you, Prince, for shamelessly and openly brutalizing those that appear to have the memory of a goldfish with Alzheimer's, those who pick nits as if they were being paid by the dozen, or the disobedient undesirables. Now that the excessive ass-kissing is out of the way, I have every intention on writing up a sheet that I'll be sure to PM. I can't garuntee it'll be soon, I've been quite busy as of late, but it shall arrive nonetheless. I really hope this thing kicks off.

Take your time, there's no rush.

Ok a couple things.

Prince I PMed you about a sheet looks ravingly good

why does everyone see themselves right in their own mind there is bound to be one that sees you as wrong, I on the other hand don't care about the arguing I'm the one with the white flag saying "Your both right let's get on with our lives!"

Anyway:
Looks great I love the story it is absolutely perfect (in my eye) The writing is great, and you stopped yourself before going to far, I feel it is absolutely wonderful. It feels great to be part of something not so "Kick his ass, now his, then his, and for the hell of it kick his too." That gets boring after awhile. Good luck Prince I hope this works out great and I'd be glad to be a part of it.

Thanks for your consideration
-Kane

Ah, WoD! I love this setting! I'd like a reserve, please, while I think up a character.
Also, how many Sources does your World have, O, Storyteller? (i.e. Which Noun: The Verbs does it include? Are we just assuming all canon ones, no Genius: The Transgression, or some caveats like a lack of Prometheans or additions like Mages and Geniuses becoming empowered by the same spark?)

I haven't decided yet if Promethean or Genius, but we've definitely got at the very least Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, and Geist, as well as some of the old lines from the original World of Darkness, namely Wraith and Demon, as well as bits and pieces of the plot and setting for the various other lines. For example, Vampire society in this is still unified under the Camarilla, with the Five Covenants acting similar to political parties. The Thirteen Clans are still around, Belial's Brood is lead and comprised primarily of and by Baali, and the Sabbat exist. Essentially, I'm taking what I like about the OWOD and NWOD and kludging them together, hopefully taking the best from both.

Kludging Owod & Nwod together? Peeked my interest. How long has the Butcher been butchering?

Captcha: Break the ice

Seattle PD believes he's been killing for about five months now, they think his first case was a man found with a wooden rod hammered through his chest, pinning him to a wall, but as the Butcher lacks a consistent M.O. it's entirely possible he's killed a lot more for a lot longer than they think. So far total believed kill count is 22 murders.

Should one assume rejection from lack of response, or will there be a single roll call?

well I assume I was kicked out simply because I posted the character here. Might as well try again in pm with a new character, but I feel a bit discouraged from even trying since it feels like people are leaving. Just to be sure, who here is interested?

Hmm. Well, for the moment, consider me on the boat. I may have had some concerns with whether or not the RP will get off the, but with the the new stream of players, I want in. I'm gonna go ahead and send you a character within the day. Also, if I do get in anyway, is there a particular point in which we'll start? Or are we all on standby until further notice?

At the end of this week I'm going to make a selection of what I've been given, and then we'll start.

i don't know:
well I assume I was kicked out simply because I posted the character here. Might as well try again in pm with a new character, but I feel a bit discouraged from even trying since it feels like people are leaving. Just to be sure, who here is interested?

I am very interested, I already sent a sheet, and I am very nervous because Prince has yet to tell anyone of they've been in because he's saving that for the day it goes up.

SUSPENSE

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked