It’s Only a Test sci-fi RP (Open, started)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's Only a Test

2037, the year when things on Earth had become unbearable to the point of no tolerance for anything going on. Every bit of information was monitored, peoples' jobs were chosen for them, and laws had become strict to the point of "breaking any part of the system" would result in a lethal injection. The governments' ways had become completely unpredictable, and seemingly cruel in many ways. Wars seemed random, and people had no idea why they were even going on. The government seemed to change into a censorship based dystopia, where one person was respected as a god and all others were controlled. People sought after a place free from these problems. A place yet untouched by the evil and corruption that others have brought to it.

Started in 2029, a Korean space exploration company, and a powerful building company had begun a program to test whether the human mind can handle an expedition to mars. The building company didn't need much convincing in order to help the space exploration program because it wanted to have its buildings the first on mars, and to make money off of the potential population there once the colonization started. It has built a fleet spacecraft for the crew and test subjects to live in. Even though it cost a ton, the Korean government had paid for some of it because of a certain agreement and the rest was paid by investors. The fleet was called the fox wing...because it sounded cool.
Over the years however, things had taken a turn for the worse. The censorship type government had first started to show itself. This made many people get worried and more eager to join the test. After two years the crew was finally assembled, and the test was going to start in no time. People had considered the trip an escape from the nightmare that the government has become.

The crew is made up of the "Director," the paramedics, engineers, test subjects, and psychologists. This team is to made to be sure that almost all known potential problems will be taken care of, and won't stop the test, or make it dangerous. Since the first trip will be a long one, many precautions had to be taken. One of them is that there are five different ships so one driver's mistake won't harm everyone. There are also 20 test subjects in each of the five ships so its not claustrophobic, but also not empty.

It was the day of the launch, and 30 test subjects were accepted. The Fox Wing Fleet was all set up for the launch, ready to escape the cruelty of Earth's people, and to explore the possibility of start a new civilization, far away from the troubles they are leaving behind.

Here is a letter one of the doctors had sent the director before the launch:

March 12, 2037,
This is Dr Song. I'm in charge of monitoring the interplanetary flight experiment. Since everything is prepared and we've been cleared to leave by the debris monitoring team we'll be leaving for Mars next Tuesday.
Some members of the crew have voiced concerns that the extended amounts of time within a contained environment may cause friction between members of this experiment, I'd like to remind you all that everyone here has been psychologically screened and trained to cope with any possible situation that may arise.
It is also important to remind you all that the Director has had years of experience and is here to help you, not himself. His name is to remain secret due to various security concerns and external threats.
The director had become very anxious after the letter. Even though he wouldn't be with more than one ship, he knew that they can easily board each other. The director had been trained in order to keep things going, and to keep people calm. No one really knows his name, but people on the ship refer to him as "Director" because he only seems to talk about his work, and schedule, so he is only a Director and nothing else. Director was a name that actually stuck and no matter how hard he tried, people still continued to call him that. No time to complain now though, time to start the trip.

I have been working on the story and atmosphere of this for quite a while. I don't really like the OP so far, but I cant figure out how to give a better idea of the story without spoiling too much. Its about a test, and what happens during a few issues that the crew encounters. It shouldn't be like super crazy where people begin eating each other, but it should still be worrying. I've developed a few NPC's and a few of my friends helped me with this idea. Ben and Fred helped me write up this OP so I hope you guys will enjoy.

Are there any resistance groups that oppose "The government"? Or is it just a matter that they're so tightly in control that there's no chance of that happening?

No, there aren't any successful groups because of that lethal injection problem and the censorship.

willofbob:

You did a wonderful job on this sheet. I hope to see you on the ship sometime soon. Accepted

Is the OP bad? Is the idea bad? Should I remake it? I really want to make this idea work. Please tell me what I need to fix!

willofbob:

Sorry about the euro symbols. I copied a unicode character from the SCP-wiki that was supposed to come out as a black block, to make it look censored. Apparently, Escapist won't support that.

anyway, your OP looks good, but you also posted it at the start of RP season. A whole bunch of new RPs had just started when you posted this, so a bunch of people will be focussed on them for a while, then some will die or people will get bored or something, and you'll get a few new members.

Maybe, and I stress MAYBE, you might want to add a bit more purple prose, or re-arrange the snippets of exposition, but I'm not exactly an expert.

i don't know:
snip

willofbob:
snip

Would an intelligence officer for the Korean army do then?

What do you mean? Just send in the sheet and I'll check it over. I just don't think this RP will start with only 2 players.

I'll give it a try. I'd like to see what happens.

maninahat:

Marvelous, Accepted. I hope this thing gets started eventually.

i don't know:

maninahat:

Cool. I'd hate for the planning to all go to waste. I'm involved in one other RPG ("Cannon Fodder"), so I'll ask the others if they might be interested in taking up a second game.

maninahat:

i don't know:

maninahat:

Cool. I'd hate for the planning to all go to waste. I'm involved in one other RPG ("Cannon Fodder"), so I'll ask the others if they might be interested in taking up a second game.

Oh my god, that would be really helpful. If anyone is concerned with the story of this RP, its supposed to be a mix of a story driven rp, and a casual rp about a fantasy like event that is encountered along the trip. I wont spoil it though.

Well, I've put the word out. Doesn't seem to have helped though. Do you know anyone?

One of your friends actually said they'd join, but they're working on a sheet ATM.

Said person is me. Sorry for the delay, I needed to make some serious modifications to the original idea (turns out, there hasn't been much technological development over the last 25 years)

If you get the literature reference in the character, congratulations - you have the same literary knowledge as the dart I threw at my book shelf ^_^

FUCK I ACCIDENTALY FLAGGED YOUR POST! Oh god why? ;( I'm not used to this new layout.

hiei82:
Said person is me. Sorry for the delay, I needed to make some serious modifications to the original idea (turns out, there hasn't been much technological development over the last 25 years)

If you get the literature reference in the character, congratulations - you have the same literary knowledge as the dart I threw at my book shelf ^_^

Srry about the flag, I'll post a thread about it on the help forum or something. Otherwise your sheet was excellent. Accepted.

Starting Soon!

Already starting to work on first post!

i don't know:
FUCK I ACCIDENTALY FLAGGED YOUR POST! Oh god why? ;( I'm not used to this new layout.

hiei82:

Srry about the flag, I'll post a thred about it on the help forum or something. Otherwise your sheet was excellent. Accepted.

I'm sure it happens. If nothing else, I can point out that there really is no rule breaking if someone asks.

Ok thnx for understanding, it was an accident. I actually do like the new layout tho. I still think they need to add a pop up to the flag button asking if you are sure about flagging. It feels too easy to mess up.

Meh, I'm sure it will work out somehow. I have to agree, I like the new format, but I wish they had left the report button where it was (it's too close to the quote button now)

hiei82:
Meh, I'm sure it will work out somehow. I have to agree, I like the new format, but I wish they had left the report button where it was (it's too close to the quote button now)

Exactly! Its way too easy to mess up.

Time of launch, March 17, 2037

It was finally time to launch. A time at which many people were anxious about. During the launch Dr. Song and Director were discussing the new sedative used in the food using the radio connection in the ship and base.

"So, you think that the sedatives will have an effect on the subjects once they stop taking them regularly?"

"Well no, "The Traveler" has been created to stop working after not being taken for 4 days. We've been working on the pill for a good few years. Its been through numerous tests and seems to have no side effects either. It has been tailored to this ship to make time pass faster, and can perhaps help the passengers avoid some conflicts."

"Well, you know more about this than me. I'll try not to make a big deal about this. Anyways, one of the drivers, Jeremy, has got us cupcakes. I think he asked someone to leave one in your office. They're amazing."

"Heh, those are for children aren't they? *Dr.Song laughs a little* So I'll try it anyways. Hadn't had those in a while. Tell Jeremy I said thanks."

"Sure thing. I think you'll love this flavor. I'll talk to you again soon if something goes wrong, and on our normal schedule on the 24th."

"Good luck with the trip. I'm going to go see what flavor this is now."

Meanwhile the crew on FW-3 was eating and talking in the cafeteria.

Rob: "Hey Brandon, so I heard you never tried Nutella, so I brought some along for you!"

Brandon: "OH SWEET!"

Rob: "I see what you did there, this trip will be great."

Brandon: "Really now? So, I've heard Nutella is a bit too sweet. Does this have a ton of sugar or something?"

Rob: "Yeah, but I think it'll be okay once in a while."

Brandon: "How about we go meet the new test subjects after this, I heard that they signed up late."

Rob: "Yeah sure, but I think those guys were lucky to be let in this program so late."

Efe glanced around at the other test candidates. As she was too nervous to try breaking the ice, she took to prodding the ice at the bottom of her coke glass with a straw. She tried to avoid looking up if she could help it, and would give an embarrassed grin whenever she accidentally made eye contact with anyone.

It won't be long before we have to take the trials, she thought. Why am I here? She had been asking herself that question, ever five minutes for the last week. Shit.

Mary sat at the table, excitement barely contained. She couldn't wait for the tests to start - after all, getting to Mars was the greatest goal she could hope for. She tried a sip of a carbonated beverage - the machine called it "mountain dew". It tasted weird, but good.

"when is this going to start" she muttered, getting impatient.

Efe peeped over her coke glass at Mary. She wondered about all the other people who had wanted to go on the trip. How many thousands - millions - was she picked from? Every last one would have probably been more deserving of a place.

"You're not worried, are you?" She asked Mary.

Mary looked over at Efe, when she asked the question. "Of course I'm worried, I'm just more excited. We're going to Mars. MARS! How incredible is that?" Mary noticed the worried look on Efe's face, smiled, and continued. "Relax - If they picked you, they must have had a good reason. You made it this far, the rest is easy by comparison."

Onboard the ship of FW-3 Director had began talking on the intercom system.

"Attention passengers. We are beginning lift off. Don't worry about shaking though because this ship has been designed for smooth sailing. You shouldn't feel a thing when we get airborne. As you all know, the sedative you have agreed to take:"Traveler" has been mixed in with your food. You may get drowsy since this is your first experience with it. Also, your rooms and other facilities are ready. The Mini theaters have a small amount of movies in them of various genres, and before you ask, YES WE HAVE THE WACKY WORLD OF IKE. Calm down about it. We also have a small art and music room for you guys that would like to practice your skills, or maybe start learning from someone. So we're going to launch in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, AND 1, BLAST OFF."

There were many cheers, and out of the windows it looked like ground was moving farther away. A loud song began to play from the art and music room. A few passengers had gathered and prepared to do this to celebrate the launch. Some people moved to the music room to enjoy watching the keys and winds players do what they do best. Others went straight to the mini theater to enjoy the ever popular Wacky World of Ike. Still, some people became tired and went to sleep in their rooms.

As the message began, Mary looked down at her watch, dropped her food, and bolted out of the room - she was going to miss it! Running down the halls at full speed, she desperately searched for the nearest port; what use was going into space if you didn't get to see it happen.

She reached it on the three count, sighing in relief. "Let the show begins" she muttered, smiling widely.

Efe was startled by the sight of Mary, sprinting out of her seat. She smiled to herself. At least some people are happy to be here. With no one else to talk to, she got up and walked towards the nearest window.

By the time she reached one, FW-3 was already up in the air. I should try to like it, at least, she told herself, as they blasted towards the clowd layer.

Two short and chubby men walked over to the the two ladies.

Rob: "Hey, so you guys signed up a bit late. You should feel honored for being on this trip. So many people signed up."

Brandon: "Oh quit trying to make them feel bad about themselves. What if it wasn't their choice to be on this trip?"

Rob: "You know, I never thought of it that way. Either way, if you want we should meet up in the mini theater when you're done looking out the window. The Wacky World of Ike such a nice show. we would appreciate it if you watch some of it with us."

Gordon let out a cheer when he heard the announcement, letting the crumbs of his sausage roll fly everywhere. He was finally off that god-forsaken rock. He had been eating out in the hall, trying to contain his excitement and not make an arse of himself in front of the other passengers. He threw the remainder of his meal in the garbage shute and burst into the cafeteria, running up to and hugging Efe, giving her a kiss on the lips.
"Isn't it wonderful!? We're free from all of this! A clean slate!"

Mary turned and stared blankly at the pair, remaining silent, if only to make the situation slightly awkward for them. Finally, after several painfully long seconds, she said "I'm test subject number 1... I was here before either of you." She started to turn back to the window, intent on watching earth fade away, before she added "and next time you want to try and pick up girls, try not to open with an attempted guilt trip - it tends to work better." With that, she returned to her window - significantly more interested in that then either of the two men.

"What the hell is The Wacky World of Ike anyway?"

Rob and Brandon were shocked as a man seemingly came out of no where and kiss/hugged Efe.

Rob: "Oh sorry, rumors and all. I'm a little slow sometimes. We were just looking to meet some friends during this trip. Your friend over there looks like she's getting a bit of trouble though. Do they know each other?"

Brandon: "Man this is getting creepy. Hey if that guy just pounced that girl, maybe you should appreciate our efforts to make friends more. Rob and me are going to watch our favorite cartoon now. If you don't want to come we wont force you."

"i think they know each other" Mary said, not turning. she continued to stare until the light of the propellant blotted out the planet below.

Then, Mary turned once more to the two, raised an eyebrow and asked the one question she knew she shouldn't. It was the kind of question she knew would open a veritable pandora's box of comments and questions and requests. None the less, she wanted to know.

"Okay... So what's a cartoon?"

Rob: "You've never watched a cartoon before? How!? Television is so popular. It would be amazing going through life never to touch that thing."

Brandon: "I thought that tv was also expensive. Maybe she grew up in a poor environment. Anyways, tv is actually pretty addicting. Its basically a system for shows, movies, and different events to be shown to the public. So how did you manage to avoid it so far?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked