The Tower of Druaga (heroic fantasy- p.II / Open)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

THE TOWER OF DRUAGA

Spire of the World

Hello everyone. Welcome to this game :D

Part I: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.361299-The-Tower-of-Druaga-Game-Thread
Part I OOC: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.360793-The-Tower-of-Druaga-heroic-fantasy-Started

HOW THE GAME WORKS
Every player is both character and DM. Each person makes 1 climber and 1 floor. As the group passes a level, the next person DMs the floor above, and so on. I will be the first DM, to give you a feel for the game. It works because each floor is it's own "world", and the environment and what we encounter can be wildly different. No single person knows how the whole campaign will go, and it evolves with each player.

Character Creation
Name: What your character is called.
Age & Gender: Quite clear, too?
Height & Weight: More simple questions. Optional, though at least height would be good.
Appearance: What your character looks like.
History: What your character has done until now, wanting to climb the tower? What kind of life he has lived until now? This is good place to explain a few facts of the topic below this one.
Reason to be here/things to do: Why, against all odds, you want to test yourself against each level of Druaga? This could be simple, "I want to explore and become rich" or "I want to get the power to revive my dead father", or something more complicated, like "there is supposed to be this person who I want dead here in Tower. I seek to obtain his death."
Personality: Well, again, this is maybe quite complex, but lets other people to see more clearly the reason behind your actions.
Notable skills: Both in combat and outside of it. Do you swing a sword, cast spells or silently sneak around? Maybe you know how to apply healing herbs, how to cook, or how to climb rocks? Or maybe you have good knowledge in historical artifacts, or understand cartography?
Equipment: Note anything worth mentioning on your character. Food, shelter, hunting/fishing equipment, survival in general, location devices, medicine, other equipment you might need on a extremely long & dangerous trip. Surely some money, whether it be precious metals or items of interest to barter.

Reserved for Characters

---

This is insanely cool sounding.

I am definitely interested in joining.

Though I may have to read through a bit of the first one to get a feel for it.

A Gent of Villainous Intent:

I can give a brief rundown if needed.

hiei82:

I can give a brief rundown if needed.

Considering that it seems prior knowledge is at least necessary to understand the full extent of character relationships, I would welcome it.

My sheet :D

Added a bit on the bottom concerning the Overlord's interest in Caedis and touched up the sheet to add what happened prior.

Question, did I miss where we decided on the next GM, or is this a complete reboot like the original? If we didn't decide, then I'd again like to put forth my interest as running the next level

Consider me interested. I missed out on the first one and always saw it near the top of the forum. Considering the amount of Rp's that don't make it past introductions, this has me intrigued.

Color me interested. If possible I would like to reserve a spot.

Long, and with a whole lot of made-up words. I don't want to even try counting how many times I used the word "fire".

I've already submitted in the old Ooc thread but here's my edited sheet again.

Also me and ray be running a small bit of pre-Rp using our characters to get one of the other people who's submitting into the story. So if anyone wants a little chance to meet up before the story starts proper or set up relationships/ explain how we meet just tell me.

I'll be returning of course, just need to update Aleister's sheet with some modifications to the backstory, and also some stuff related to the whole Reaper business.

The spots seem to be filling up, and I've yet to get informed...

This is a bit worrying.

Hmm... An RP where everyone gets a shot to GM, that seems to draw pretty heavily from one of my favorite manhwas? Yep, that'll snag my interest!

I've been encouraged to write up a ranged-fighter, so quick question: Would gunpowder and muskets/handguns exist, or are bows the only real choice for ranged combat?

Sounds like you guys need a healer!

I shall post my character when he is completed.

Well, I think I'll give it another go. Maybe tinker with Atticus a bit.

Pappytech:
Hmm... An RP where everyone gets a shot to GM, that seems to draw pretty heavily from one of my favorite manhwas? Yep, that'll snag my interest!

I've been encouraged to write up a ranged-fighter, so quick question: Would gunpowder and muskets/handguns exist, or are bows the only real choice for ranged combat?

Outside of the Tower is high-medieval ages so I would assume extremely basic firearms and advanced bows, crossbows, etc. But inside the Tower, I think it's up to you. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Edited again, and again, and again, and again.

Pappytech:

Yes, but they're pretty shitty. I could see someone with a single-shot blunderbuss or one of those over-the-shoulder chinese guns.

Which is more of a fiat of the setting than anything else. In real life, building a humanoid robot is much harder than building a repeating gun. Yet in fantasy RPGS, golems are walking around but people get into swordfights instead of carrying howitzers. Oh well. Rule of cool.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Snip

Asclepion:
Snap

Somewhat magical archer it is! Thanks for the heads-up; much appreciated!

Mr.Ivebeenframed:

Outside of the Tower is high-medieval ages so I would assume extremely basic firearms and advanced bows, crossbows, etc. But inside the Tower, I think it's up to you. At least that's how I interpreted it.

This too. The weapon doesn't have to be gunpowder. You could have a magic lightning-launcher gauntlet or something, if you so choose.

Ascelpion:

Pappytech:

Asclepion:

And what might that be?

The Tower of God. It's a series about a seemingly endless tower, where each level contains a test that must be passed before a climber can ascend. Supposedly your greatest desire will be granted if you make it to the top.

http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/?preview=manga_Tower-of-God

I've never even heard of that. I thought you were going to say something else.

At least now we don't have the burden of being original :D

Pappytech:

Asclepion:

Pappytech:
Wait, so you weren't basing it on ToG? Huh, didn't see that coming.

Still sounds awesome, of course! And yeah, originality is kind of dead. Sad but true.

Seriously. I thought you were going to say The Dark Tower (Stephen King books- there's a tower that connects universes; different in that the quest is to actually find the tower rather than scale it) or Felarya (obscure hentai fantasy webcomic that I stole a few environments from) or the anime Tower of Druaga (which has little resemblance to this rpg version, aside from the name and the fact that they have to climb a tower), or some combination of stuff that I hadn't heard of.

I'll start reading ToG, then. Thanks!

Heard of, but haven't read the Dark Tower, and didn't even know that Felarya and the Druaga anime existed.

Started reading ToG a few months ago on a whim, and it turned out to be a pretty damn entertaining series! It takes about a hundred chapters before the plot starts making sense, but I would recommend it.

Asclepion:
Another one was Insomniac's Spyro the Dragon games (awesome playstation 1 games where you to go different worlds through portals).

Pappytech:
Now Spyro, that I remember! Year of the Dragon used to be one of my favorite games as a kid.

I've just found out that someone else had this exact same concept, and has made a series about it.

So I'm just gonna put this here as I don't want to get overrun by those who're just coming in.

I'll edit if I find out any story bits that make me feel the need to edit.

Commentary is welcomed.

Updated.

This is a bit worrying.

Sorry about that, work happened. Okay. Summary:

First level (15th floor if memory serves). This level was a sea filled with mildly magical crystals and tall pillars.
Major Plot developments:
- Introduced to first reoccurring villain - a magic card wielding dinosaur thing. we disarmed it (by which i mean chopped his arm off) but this seems to have been a temporary problem for it.
- Party was introduced to each other

Second Level This level was a jungle filled with ancient ruins and populated by lizard people (called Lallow) with a magical enchantment that prevented people from remembering the details of the level. It was ruled by a dragon named Calgradni(deceased)
Major Plot developments
-Killed a dragon
-gained a techno-magical artifact (called "the cradle")
-Aleister gained a new magical power (see Evrant/Aleister Cole)

Third Level Arctic level (in progress). Populated by humans, elves, ogres/orcs, and another dragon and his minions (oh, and sharks and spiders, really big sharks and spiders)
Major Plot developments
-Saved a town of people from an ice storm
-driven out of said town because they don't like outsiders.
-Aleister and Faunra in a relationship
-Prail (no longer being played lizard person) learns to speak
-Gain new party member - Cecile (may return, not sure)
-elves encountered

Remaining goals
-kill dragon
-find portal to next level
-Not die by giant spiders

I think that's the main stuff. Some characters had their lives saved (see Faunra saved by Damien) but for the most part that's it.

Any questions/comments - please ask/make

EDIT: @all: how long do we want to have passed between games - this is dirrected at both new and old players

hiei82:

This is a bit worrying.

Sorry about that, work happened. Okay. Summary:

First level (15th floor if memory serves). This level was a sea filled with mildly magical crystals and tall pillars.
Major Plot developments:
- Introduced to first reoccurring villain - a magic card wielding dinosaur thing. we disarmed it (by which i mean chopped his arm off) but this seems to have been a temporary problem for it.
- Party was introduced to each other

Second Level This level was a jungle filled with ancient ruins and populated by lizard people (called Lallow) with a magical enchantment that prevented people from remembering the details of the level. It was ruled by a dragon named Calgradni(deceased)
Major Plot developments
-Killed a dragon
-gained a techno-magical artifact (called "the cradle")
-Aleister gained a new magical power (see Evrant/Aleister Cole)

Third Level Arctic level (in progress). Populated by humans, elves, ogres/orcs, and another dragon and his minions (oh, and sharks and spiders, really big sharks and spiders)
Major Plot developments
-Saved a town of people from an ice storm
-driven out of said town because they don't like outsiders.
-Aleister and Faunra in a relationship
-Prail (no longer being played lizard person) learns to speak
-Gain new party member - Cecile (may return, not sure)
-elves encountered

Remaining goals
-kill dragon
-find portal to next level
-Not die by giant spiders

I think that's the main stuff. Some characters had their lives saved (see Faunra saved by Damien) but for the most part that's it.

Any questions/comments - please ask/make

EDIT: @all: how long do we want to have passed between games - this is dirrected at both new and old players

Sorry for being impatient, it's just that the amount of people signing up made me worried I'd be bumped out without knowing anything.

Anyways, thanks for responding, and I'll let others decide the time-lapse as it has no real bearing on me.

Sorry, posted a draft for an older character that was going to be in the first game, my bad.

Floris2123:
He wears an big enchanted longbow on his back and a large one handed sword on his right hip.

Magic items in Druaga are exceedingly rare. Now, if you have magic, you could pour it into the weapon, but otherwise, might want to remove the "enchanted" part.

Floris2123:

Age & gender: 57 & Male (elf)

AND

Floris2123:
When he turned 17 his father gave him his own bow and his cloak and told him who he really was. An famous treasure hunter who had traveled the land for the last 40 year before settling down here... He traveled the land the next 30 years exploring things ... for almost 4 years...This all went quite good for 6 years.

By my count, that adds up to 97 years old; Am I counting incorrectly?

Also, as Faunra is also an Elf, I have been acting under the tabletop norm that elven adulthood is reached at 120-ish (for the long term view on the world that elves are notorious for) this one's not really a concern as I'm sure there are many different variants of elves throughout Druaga with different life spans, but I think we need to reach consensus on how to make the timelines work (especially as Faunra will be intensely interested in what you have to say about elves because she has only ever met a handful of them in her life (orphan)

alternatively, you could still be the equivalent of a child by elf culture for all sorts of hilarity. *imagining your character going through the elven puberty with much laughing*

Floris2123:
His magic long bow, His enchanted dragon scale armor, His iron armor, a couple of masks and his enchanted cloak. His one handed sword.

see above about magic items

Otherwise, Much enjoy the character. the thing about the curse is pretty damned awesome.

Sorry for being impatient, it's just that the amount of people signing up made me worried I'd be bumped out without knowing anything.

Anyways, thanks for responding, and I'll let others decide the time-lapse as it has no real bearing on me.

No need to apologize it's not a big deal, and I was the one holding you up.

Looked over your character, I didn't see anything that strikes me as "setting breaking" so no need to worry.

Ryans Solution:

Any feedback would be appreciated as I dont't really know where to go with my character from here and I don't feel like it's finished...

The foundation of the character seems sound. Maybe go into further detail on how your original party died, how you learned your powers, or more detail on your magic (where do you draw it from, what is your focus - maybe using plants to trap your enemies, or controlled animals to attack them, or weather control maybe).

Also, your character sounds like he might be part of a larger organization dedicated to exploring and gaining knowledge (though that might just be because you used the word "Pathfinder"and i'm a dork ^_^) Maybe expand on that a bit. Do you keep a journal of what you have found.

All just ideas. let me know if you need a bouncing board for ideas, always happy to help.

Floris2123:

Commentary is welcomed.

Another character with a curse.
This should be interesting
Wonder which curse is worse.

Redacted. Sorry, but I think it's best I withdraw my character, due to some recent circumstances.

To recap, here's the antagonist of the game.

hiei82:
snip

I miss playing pathfinder... my ROTRL group fell apart about three years ago.
Anyway I was thinking of making developments such as being in an organization a later event.

Ryans Solution:
Imagine Character Sheet here

A few edits made.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked