Elder Scrolls: Interregnum Chapter 4 (Started, Open)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 . . . 40 NEXT

IFS:

Josh12345:

ruedyn:
Anruin emerged from his room, sweaty. He figured Mal would never forgive him, but he didn't care much.

"So, when are we leaving?"

''Well once everyone is ready we can go'' he said, biting into a bit of fish. Endya came down the stairs and past the group ''I'm going to the markets, meet me there when you decide to leave'' ''Buy food for us while you're down there for the trip'' Enthir asked, tossing a bag of gold towards her.
''Can I ask you something?'' Joncis asked Dro'araaj and anruin, ''Well, it's less a question, more an order. No going off on your own until this is delivered, no 'odd jobs' and no cave hunting, the last thing we need is a pissed off Daedra or cult after us, and don't even start the 'I'll be careful' crap, I won't buy it.''

Dro'Araaj didn't look up from the letter, though he smiled and responded "When has this one ever been careful?"

He finished reading and turned towards Joncis, a large grin on his face, "Besides, this one doesn't want hunters following him, but that hardly stops them."

''It was a word of warning to you, him though...'' he pointed a fishbone at Anruin ''Is who I'll have to keep an eye on, he tried to have the Orc killed on the premise of being an Orc, and I'm betting he's getting ready to stab the Dunmer in the back, assuming he worships Azura like most of them do.'' he said, finishing off the fish and throwing the remains in a bucket. ''combine him with the Orc who loves barfights and the Dunmer who when he isn't killing cultists is killing family members of innocents he also killed,and I wonder why Enthir even brought them. Maybe he had dirt on him or something.''

Lloden was standing in the doorway, listening to Joncis impassively.

Josh12345:
''...and I'm betting he's getting ready to stab the Dunmer in the back, assuming he worships Azura like most of them do.'' he said, finishing off the fish and throwing the remains in a bucket. ''combine him with the Orc who loves barfights and the Dunmer who when he isn't killing cultists is killing family members of innocents he also killed,and I wonder why Enthir even brought them. Maybe he had dirt on him or something.''

He cleared his throat loudly.
"Are you quite finished? There's a great deal more to this story than any of you know. And if you missed it, she was trying to kill me first."
He strolled in, tired and aching but still angry. He spent the entire night out of the town hunting. He had sold most of the meat in town, bringing him back up to over a hundred gold.
He sat down heavily and called for water.

SamtheDeathclaw:
Lloden was standing in the doorway, listening to Joncis impassively.

Josh12345:
''...and I'm betting he's getting ready to stab the Dunmer in the back, assuming he worships Azura like most of them do.'' he said, finishing off the fish and throwing the remains in a bucket. ''combine him with the Orc who loves barfights and the Dunmer who when he isn't killing cultists is killing family members of innocents he also killed,and I wonder why Enthir even brought them. Maybe he had dirt on him or something.''

He cleared his throat loudly.
"Are you quite finished? There's a great deal more to this story than any of you know. And if you missed it, she was trying to kill me first."
He strolled in, tired and aching but still angry. He spent the entire night out of the town hunting. He had sold most of the meat in town, bringing him back up to over a hundred gold.
He sat down heavily and called for water.

''You're right, I don't know the full story, but what I'm trying to get across here is that the path ahead will be dangerous,'' Joncis said, Enthir butts in''He's right you know, have you ever tried to take on a group of Senche bandits? You can't'' ''that, basically, and what I'm basically saying is not to take any extra jobs while in any other settlements, or try to raid a cultist shrine in our general area'' Joncis finishes.

Josh12345:
''You're right, I don't know the full story, but what I'm trying to get across here is that the path ahead will be dangerous,'' Joncis said, Enthir butts in''He's right you know, have you ever tried to take on a group of Senche bandits? You can't'' ''that, basically, and what I'm basically saying is not to take any extra jobs while in any other settlements, or try to raid a cultist shrine in our general area'' Joncis finishes.

"Don't worry, I quit the guild. The suffering of others is someone else's problem now. Now can we get back to delivering Skooma or whatever the hell this is so I can see if my old merc unit is still around?"

Josh12345:

He sighed.
Actually, yes. With twice their number and we lost half of our men before the end of it, but yes. I have taken on a group of senche bandits. Lloden mused to himself, sipping the water he was brought.

ruedyn:
"Don't worry, I quit the guild. The suffering of others is someone else's problem now. Now can we get back to delivering Skooma or whatever the hell this is so I can see if my old merc unit is still around?"

He raised his eyebrows at Anruin. If he quit the guild, he may not immediately kill me if he finds out. Assuming he hasn't already. Lloden sighed.

In the alleyways and densely populated area Endya passed through were lower class Khajiit and non-Khajiit races, mostly skooma and Moon Sugar addicts. As she passed the narrow streets and into a suprisingly large courtyard, she caught a glimpse of the Mane's Palace. A massive domed building with large parts of it made from Bosmer harvested wood, the palace was primarily guarded by Senche. They were twice her height and prowled on all fours, and the Senche-Raht were bigger, weighing that of 50 Altmer.
To the right of this was a building made of mined rock- an unusual pick for design considering most of the city was made from either wood or carved into the landscape. This must have been the Thalmor Headquarters.

Down another street would lead her into the northern courtyard, which was smaller but more beautiful. houses and the entire marketplace was built over several estuaries leading into the Xylo river. ''What's the freshest food here?'' She asked a Suthay Khajiit merchant. ''Hmm, you'd want to head up there, near the Gate Walls for produce. Bread or foreign goods? I'm here for that, and my brother's boat should be coming in with fish any minute now. Oh, anything else? Head for the Caravans, if they aren't here you can find them travelling the roads.'' ''You have caravans here?'' She asked, normally they have caravans because they aren't allowed inside Alinoric cities ''Of course, how else are we meant to get our goods to the north?''

Astoph looked at the extensive Altmer headquarters, and then at the surrounding citizens, poor and malnourished to the sight.
It put a look of pure disgust on his face, as he put his hood back over the top of his face.

Random Fella:
Astoph looked at the extensive Altmer headquarters, and then at the surrounding citizens, poor and malnourished to the sight.
It put a look of pure disgust on his face, as he put his hood back over the top of his face.

Lloden was wandering the city when he crossed paths with the battlemage.
Lloden nodded at Astoph. A strange fellow, to be sure. Hardly said a word since we took that ship back in Valenwood.
"Awful, isn't it? Like they enjoy seeing them like this every day."

SamtheDeathclaw:

Random Fella:

Lloden was wandering the city when he crossed paths with the battlemage.
Lloden nodded at Astoph. A strange fellow, to be sure. Hardly said a word since we took that ship back in Valenwood.
"Awful, isn't it? Like they enjoy seeing them like this every day."

He turns his head to Lloden in response
"It's the same everywhere you go..."
He stated simply.

Random Fella:

He turns his head to Lloden in response
"It's the same everywhere you go..."
He stated simply.

"Not everywhere. Everywhere in the Dominion, though." He sighed.

Anruins' half-hour questioning of Joncis as to what is in the box bore no fruit, so he took to the streets. Soon enough he found a Dominion base, and wanted to see if he could get inside. He walked up towards the guard,

"Help, my friend is getting mugged! Help him!" With a touch on his shoulder, the charm spell worked. The guard sprinted off into the vague direction Anruin pointed out, and he strolled right in. He walked up to a man in a Thalmor robe,

"So, where is the archivist here? I am about to go join my team, a skooma den has been harassing locals for months." a half-truth, there was a skooma den, but he had orders to not tamper with it, and he doubted the Thalmor had any actual plan to deal with them. Regardless, another charm spell shoulder touch, and he was trusted with more information,

"I am the archivist. I shall show you the archive now."

When he made it there, the archivist shut the door behind him, and he looked through the massive library. Nothing on Joncis and Urgal, but there was one on Lloden, Astoph, and Enthir. He figured he knew enough of Lloden that he could trust him, so he grabbed the other two. A casual flipping through confirmed most of what Enthir told him.

'Well at least I know he's in the good Blades, not the small time gang in Morrowind. Embelished his war stories a bit, but I can't blame him for that.' The sound of footsteps told him it was time to go, so a quick flare to the paper, and an invisibility on himself and his escape was trivial. When he got out, he noticed Lloden and Astoph

'I'll see what I can find out about Astoph now, might save myself some reading, or find out if he's a liar.'

"Hey guys, what are you doing about the city?"

ruedyn:

"Taking a strolll around the city. Or I am anyways. Asking what Ser Mysterious is up to is likely going to fruitless." Lloden chuckled. "And what were you doing inside the Dominion's little compound? Something naughty I'm sure."

SamtheDeathclaw:

ruedyn:

"Taking a strolll around the city. Or I am anyways. Asking what Ser Mysterious is up to is likely going to fruitless." Lloden chuckled. "And what were you doing inside the Dominion's little compound? Something naughty I'm sure."

"Just abusing my magical powers." I look towards Astoph,

"So, are you looking for something around here or are you simply lost. No shame in saying so, don't know how I managed to function without Clairvoyance." A look around,

"Perhaps shelter would be a good idea. I can feel people watching..."

ruedyn:
"Just abusing my magical powers." I look towards Astoph,

"So, are you looking for something around here or are you simply lost. No shame in saying so, don't know how I managed to function without Clairvoyance." A look around,

"Perhaps shelter would be a good idea. I can feel people watching..."

"Me? Lost?" Lloden laughed. "I'm getting found, not lost!"
He turned his head, watching the street and listening to the whispering in his head.
"Yeah, maybe. Hunters after Araaj, perhaps? Or someone else."
Dar Do already found me? She's quick. But it may not be her. Damn daedra, not telling me everything.

SamtheDeathclaw:
"Me? Lost?" Lloden laughed. "I'm getting found, not lost!"
He turned his head, watching the street and listening to the whispering in his head.
"Yeah, maybe. Hunters after Araaj, perhaps? Or someone else."
Dar Do already found me? She's quick. But it may not be her. Damn daedra, not telling me everything.

The three of them quickly retreated to what looked to be an abandoned house. Anruin bent down and cast unlock average lock and the door swung open,

"After you."

ruedyn:

The three of them quickly retreated to what looked to be an abandoned house. Anruin bent down and cast unlock average lock and the door swung open,

"After you."

"Efficent. One might even think this isn't the first time you've broken into a house." Lloden smiled grimly in the dark.

Endya finished her shopping and made her way to the Gate Walls, as she passed an alleyway she was pulled in by a hand ''You're coming with me'' an Altmer hissed, 2 Khajiit were standing near him, An Ohmes, whom she almost thought was a Bosmer for a second, and a Pahmer. ''You get one warning, let. go.'' she said quietly. ''Or what?'' one of the Khajiit said laughing. Endya stabbed the Altmer in the foot with a blade she 'dropped' hidden from under her robes. The Pahmer made a jump for her, which she leapt back from, jabbing the cat in the head with a knife, which she immediately pulled back out and threw at the Altmer. Killing him. The Ohmes saw this and ran through the narrow alleyway to escape, he wasn't worth her time.
Endya picked up her bag and left back on her way to the Gate Walls as if nothing happened, not even bothering to clear away the bodies.

@ruedyn: @SamtheDeathclaw:
"So we now fear peasants and addicts watching our pockets, or is there another reason we're hiding in this shanty?"
He says upon being rushed into the house

Random Fella:
"So we now fear peasants and addicts watching our pockets, or is there another reason we're hiding in this shanty?"

"The bosses say not to kill, and I think I'm the only one here who could keep up with a thief. No offence, just the armor and all." he sighed, "The point being, we are low on money, and pickpockets or would be muggers wouldn't help with that. Still haven't answered my question though. Lost or wandering?"

ruedyn:

Random Fella:

"The bosses say not to kill, and I think I'm the only one here who could keep up with a thief. No offence, just the armor and all." he sighed, "The point being, we are low on money, and pickpockets or would be muggers wouldn't help with that. Still haven't answered my question though. Lost or wandering?"

Astoph shrugs off the response over petty thieves, he knew this clearly wasn't the reason they broke into the abandoned house
Upon asking wether he was lost, he looked upon Anruin confused
"What do you mean, we're waiting for Joncis"

Joncis and Enthir soon left the inn, with Urgal and Vargmir following closely behind. Eventually they caught up to Endya ''Anything happen while we were gone? no quests the others have set out on?'' Joncis asked ''Not that I know of, I have the food though, it should do us the journey, prices here were cheap though'' Endya said, passing the mostly full bag of gold back at Enthir ''Uh huh'' Joncis said back, seeing in the corner of his eye the outline of the Altmer body in the shadows, the dagger still in his chest.
So for now the 5 of them wait on the others by the City Walls.

Dro'Araaj walked throught the markets, looking for nightshade root, he paused to chat with some locals about the weather, and to purchase the root and a few other ingredients, his business done he made his way to the gate.

He glanced behind him as he walked, then chided himself for paranoia, pushing his fears from his mind he met up with the others as they walked to the gate.

IFS:
Dro'Araaj walked throught the markets, looking for nightshade root, he paused to chat with some locals about the weather, and to purchase the root and a few other ingredients, his business done he made his way to the gate.

He glanced behind him as he walked, then chided himself for paranoia, pushing his fears from his mind he met up with the others as they walked to the gate.

Enthir saw Dro'Araaj and greeted him ''Glad you're here, know all we're waiting for is the Bosmer and Dunmer, oh, and that OTHER Breton.'' he said, nodding towards Joncis.

While Anruin and Astoph talked, Lloden watched out the window.
He saw a familiar face.
He slammed open the door and sprinted after her.

His heart was pounding when he caught up to her and grabbed her arm.
"Oh. Sorry m'lady. I thought you were... Someone else." The woman looked at him blankly and continued on her way.
Glancing at the sun, he decided it was probably about time to leave, so he headed for the city gates.

SamtheDeathclaw:
While Anruin and Astoph talked, Lloden watched out the window.
He saw a familiar face.
He slammed open the door and sprinted after her.

His heart was pounding when he caught up to her and grabbed her arm.
"Oh. Sorry m'lady. I thought you were... Someone else." The woman looked at him blankly and continued on her way.
Glancing at the sun, he decided it was probably about time to leave, so he headed for the city gates.

''Where are the other two'' Endya asked Iloden ''We were just heading out, I assume those two can catch up right?'' Joncis said to him, leaning off of the wall while the others set out off of the gate, Endya flashed 7 passes at the guards and passed through the gates, Joncis and Enthir kept their heads down while the guards nodded at Endya and Dro'Araaj ''Before you ask Anruin's a Bosmer, his race alone can probably get him and the Breton out of the gate just fine'' Endya said.

Josh12345:
''Where are the other two'' Endya asked Iloden ''We were just heading out, I assume those two can catch up right?'' Joncis said to him, leaning off of the wall while the others set out off of the gate, Endya flashed 7 passes at the guards and passed through the gates, Joncis and Enthir kept their heads down while the guards nodded at Endya and Dro'Araaj ''Before you ask Anruin's a Bosmer, his race alone can probably get him and the Breton out of the gate just fine'' Endya said.

Lloden gestured behind him vaguely, then strung his bow.
"Be careful. The jungle is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing." He set off to hunt. He wasn't sure how long it would take to get to the safehouse, but he wanted to be well stocked either way.

SamtheDeathclaw:

Josh12345:

Lloden gestured behind him vaguely, then strung his bow.
"Be careful. The jungle is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing." He set off to hunt. He wasn't sure how long it would take to get to the safehouse, but he wanted to be well stocked either way.

The group set off north, the jungle was densely covered so they stuck to a path heading North-east, the occasional giant spider or tiger would jump out but nothing they couldn't handle. ''This heat IS intense''Enthir said, leading the group on.

Dro'Araaj marched along silently, the jungle had changed since he had last been in Elsweyr, but it still felt familiar, he preferred the desert but the jungle was still home. He smiled, pushing away some of the worse memories, it was good to be home, even if it was only for a short time.

The forest was so dense that Enthir and Urgal had to slice away at the vines to get through while the others followed, Joncis tried to burn through but the area was simply too damp, while Endya kept the food and a few bags safe from the groundwater. Joncis at least found himslef useful there, occasionally spraying a bit of Frostbite on the bags to keep the food cool.

Anruin and Astoph caught up with the others, following the trail of cut foliage and by now it was late evening. ''So how'd your detour go?'' Enthir asked ''....later.'' Anruin replied quickly.
Endya spotted a small path which led north that cut through the dense rainfoest, the group followed it for roughly an hour, the rainforest had become much lighter and dryer, far in the distance Enthir could see scrublands. ''Well this seems like a good place to set up camp'' Joncis said, using an Atronach to create a makeshift roof by collapsing trees.
''I'll stand watch'' Endya said, while getting sticks for a fire.

Joncis and Enthir's atronachs were finished arranging the logs into a suitable manner, as Endya sat on a tree stump near her pile of firewood, Joncis cast a flame spell on them, starting the fire ''So, anyone have any stories?'' Enthir asked, pulling out some food from the bag by his feet. ''I killed two people in an alleyway this morning.''Endya said quietly, Enthir turned towards her, then said unimpressed''No suprise there. What about you two, where did you head off to back in Torval?'' Enthir asked towards Anruin and Astoph.

Lloden strode into the camp, with not much game to show for an entire days spent hunting.
"Some bandits a few clicks away." he commented idly. "Or, there were." He pulled out a piece of jerky and gnawed on it. "I scared them off."
More like slaughtered the lot of them. The silver sword's just as sharp as the demon one.

Dro'Araaj sat by himself in the corner of the camp, mixing the moon sugar and nightshade root to make skooma. He was thinking about the last time he had been in Elsweyr, he had returned to visit his wifes grave, to tell her he had found her killers, and avenged her. When he left after that he had not expected to return, his plan had been to wander and survive until he died of age, that way no one could claim the tooth.

He laughed to himself, did I really think you would defeat hircine? he will probably claim my soul regardless of how I die. He sighed and pushed the thought away, dwelling on such things was pointless, it would change nothing.

SamtheDeathclaw:
Lloden strode into the camp, with not much game to show for an entire days spent hunting.
"Some bandits a few clicks away." he commented idly. "Or, there were." He pulled out a piece of jerky and gnawed on it. "I scared them off."
More like slaughtered the lot of them. The silver sword's just as sharp as the demon one.

''We were just discussing our headcount'' Endya said, staring at Enthir ''Got any stories to tell? hopefully one that doesn't involve a tortured past or daedra-related hijinks.'' He said. Joncis sat down and said ''I found a Dwemer ruin in Hammerfell once''
Endya looked at him, suprised ''How did you get out? Those automations have a nasty habit of trying to murder outsiders''
''Well it started as a trip by the road, me and a few friends in Dragonstar were on our way to Elinhir, this was about a month before I joined up with Enthir in Chorrol, anyway, we went into this area, Dwarven objects strewn across the floor, the machines were destroyed, when we headed to what looked like an underground marketplace, we saw another group. Bandits.
Well we were going to fight them before part of the ceiling cut us off. The place was starting to collapse!'' he said, leaning towards them,
''We raced out of there, carrying whatever plates or artifacts we could carry. By the time we were all out I realised this was a big haul. Even dwarven cups sold high to the right vendor but we had our bags filled with every plate, sword and jewel we could find. Half of this expedition is payed for with that gold, Enthir spends his on Gods knows what.'' ''What about those friends of yours, you haven't told me the story with them?''Enthir asked ''4 of them are sitting pretty in Skaven at the moment, one of them went back to Wayrest, and I think a couple left for Dragonstar, I didn't know those ones too well.''Joncis finished ''That does me, enjoy the nightshift,'' he said, heading to sleep.

Urgal stirred on the log he was sat upon. He had been thinking, there was a niggling thought of something not being quite right since they left the summerset isle. The Altmer crime family hadn't retaliated against his violence and had left the group alone from dawn until almost noon when they had set sail unhindered. Maybe they were regrouping or had not realised that Urgal's group would be leaving so soon after the skirmish.

Or maybe they know something of our mission, of our package, waiting for the most opportune moment to strike.

Urgal shook the thought out of his head, although he recalled seeing the Altmer boy from afar at the market that dawn, and wherever the boy is, there is sure to be some deadly relative of his hiding in the shadows.

I was foolish to allow the fight reach Dro'Araaj's master's house, he will surely be punished for harbouring us. We needed to leave but that is no excuse to force him to suffer as a result of my actions.

He patted Dro'Araaj lightly on the shoulder silently showing his remorse. There was a peculiar atmosphere about the camp, a more serious one than before. Over half of their numbers were down since that first meeting in the Imperial city and Joncis insisting on no deviations or distractions from the mission at hand was odd as he seemed to have had something of a tolerance for it beforehand. Anruin had officially left the cult for which he had so much passion with only a passing remark to the group, possibly as something of a peace offering. Despite Lloden's past not leaving him alone he was doing his best to ignore it and focus on the task. Dro'Araaj had seemed deep in thought since arriving back in his homeland and Urgal realised for the first time just how old and tired the Khajiit looked clasping his small wedge of letters close to him in the flickering firelight, face speckled with strands of grey fur.

Perhaps it's the war. Tensions finally erupting into the largest conflict that Tamriel has seen for generations can really make you think about priorities.

"I never told you about my time in the Imperial city these past few years did I? Do you know how I lost this tooth?" Urgal said grinning so as to show the gap where his lower canine should be as his way of pitching in a story. The group seemed to show some interest so he continued.

"I was on a job about two years ago, small time thing, I was supposed to... persuade a bookshop owner in the market district to sell up. A cheap, sly sort of way to conduct business, not particularly proud of it; but my employer assured me that it would be honourable in that it would be intimidation without any real violence. He said violence was bad for business and wanted to seem legitimate, he even offered a fair price for the shop too."

A torchbug hovered near the fire, as if it were somehow bemused to find another fellow bright light in the shadows of the rainforest. Urgal took a swig of some ale which he had bought in town.

"So I walk into the shop and stood at the counter is the most beautiful orismer lady that you have ever seen, her skin was a dark shade of olive, hair shimmering in the candlelight by which she was reading like polished glass, and her eyes, oh you should have seen her eyes! So awe inspiring and passionate, I could see why my Imperial friend wanted to enlist my help to persuade her."

Urgal took a rather deep swig of his ale at this point and surveyed his bored looking peers...

"Of course she's thrilled to see another Orc in the city, especially one with an apparent interest in literature and starts talking to me about this book and that and asks me what I like, all the while I'm trying to keep up and act like I at least have some knowledge, the reason I came there completely forgotten. I bought some books and we got to know each other and within the course of a few weeks we were catching slaughterfish on the banks of the Rumare together at dusk. I was happier than I had been for a long time."

He paused at the memory. The others seemed to be engaged with his story, yet nostalgic for such similar thoughts that they had of their own.

"I lied to my employer when asked about the job and just told him that she had refused my offer, although he had fingers in enough pies to notice an Orcish couple in town; I mean as a race, we're not known for our ability to blend in with a crowd. And as quickly as it had began it was over, he made sure that she caught wind of my business and believed that I was just trying to manipulate her into selling. I met her at her shop and seeing she was upset about something kissed her, at which point she bit down hard into my gum in a rage. I mean as a race we're not known for our ability to control our anger. She hit me and kicked and bellowed at me and threw me out of the shop."

Urgal sighed and took another swig, rinsing the ale around the gap in his disorderly rows of teeth.

"I never saw her after that, I found out that she did decide to sell up a few months later, whether because of me or not. I acted completely dishonourably. Lying about literature that I hadn't read, not telling her the reason I was there in the first place, leaving the selling of the shop situation up to others to take action upon when it directly affected the lady that I... The area around the tooth was too damaged to have been able to set it back in it's place so I had to take it out myself." Urgal let out a laugh,"Doesn't exactly improve my good looks now does it? Bet you thought I was going to say I lost it in a bar fight or against a giant. Well it survived both of those, the former many times over."

Urgal emptied his bottle and threw it into the fire where it smashed.

"Who's next?" he asked glancing around at the group.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 . . . 40 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here