Elder Scrolls: Interregnum Chapter 4 (Started, Open)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 NEXT

The team followed a beaten down path through the dry scrubland. Joncis did a small head count of the group around noon. ''Iloden and Anruin aren't with us. Have they headed off with the soldiers?'' he asked. ''Anruin's dead, I thought you would have noticed he was less agile and quieter when I joined up with you'' Endya said, not even turning her head to respond. ''That's a shame, he didn't even get his pay'' Enthir told them somberly as they continued down their path,

''Well, I'll miss him at least.'' Joncis mumbled, looking back towards the mountain. So many dead.

2 weeks had passed before the four of them arrived at the gates of Corinthe, Joncis wiped the sweat off of his forehead and took in his surroundings before continuing with the rest of the group. ''We'll need to get some more food, I'll go get it, you three should find an inn or something.'' Enthir said, checking the now empty bag and heading for the markets.
Joncis, Dro'Araaj and Endya continued down a crowded street and reached a small inn: The Scorched Pahmer.
Joncis entered and hauled himself onto the nearest spare chair, looking up at Endya. ''Sort everything out here. Y'know, food and beds. I'm heading out to the city centre, there's bound to be some sort of system here for recruitment.'' she told him, leaving him in the inn.

Dro'Araaj wasn't in a mood to talk to others, he got himself a room and went to it. He lay on the bed, considering the losses the group had suffered, he hadn't always agreed with Anruin but he'd stuck with the group and that made him close to a friend, Lloden had been close to a friend as well, even more so given that he'd known him before all this, however briefly. He sighed and downed the last of his skooma, collapsing back on the bed, which creaked loudly, just another job, no one lives forever.

He lay on the bed, enjoying the effects of the skooma until they wore off, mourning them in is own way, he would not feel loss, they hadn't been family after all. He rested for a while longer then stood, and went to see if Joncis was back yet, it would be interesting to see who else would join them.

The next day, the group assembled in the downstairs of the inn. Endya brought over a few mugs of mead and then took a chair in the dimmest lit area of the inn.
''I put up the recruitment ad at the local guilds and marketplace, hopefully that should get someone's attention.'' Enthir said, sipping at his drink quietly.
''So what kind of people do you expect will join up for this 'delivery' exactly?'' Joncis asked
''With luck, anyone. The four of us can't do this alone'' Enthir responded hopefully.

They called it the Scorched Pahmer. Aremir wasn't sure he wanted to know where that name came from. Then again, it didn't bother him more than a third of a second. He tossed that thought away after reading the sign at the top of the pub's entrance. It had been a long month, and he was having trouble finding good employment. It was all enough to keep him fed and under a roof, but it wasn't enough to continue his journey eastward. That was the sad status-quo he was in, until he noticed a call to arms plastered on the town's central board. Aremir wasn't an errand-boy, but a caravan hadn't stopped through this city for more than three weeks and his impatience was getting the better of him. Against his sound judgement he decided to join said journey to Elsewhere. He was running low on good pelts, and a full set of Khajit clothing sounded interesting to try. After all, those cat people were hard to come by outside of their homeland.

He entered the inn casually in a brisk pace. the first thing he had to do was find the one offering employment and land the job before anyone else could. Y'ffre knows he could use the change of scenery.

"Bartender, I'm looking for the ones that put up a recruitment sign in the town square. I was told to be here", Aremir asked the rather bored middle aged Imperial shining glass cups. He nodded and moved his head to the side. "The group next to the corner table, four of them", he answered.

Aremir grinned in response and made his presence known to his apparent future employers.

"I came here looking for work. Are you the caravan headed to Elsewhere?".

TheIronRuler:
They called it the Scorched Pahmer. Aremir wasn't sure he wanted to know where that name came from. Then again, it didn't bother him more than a third of a second. He tossed that thought away after reading the sign at the top of the pub's entrance. It had been a long month, and he was having trouble finding good employment. It was all enough to keep him fed and under a roof, but it wasn't enough to continue his journey eastward. That was the sad status-quo he was in, until he noticed a call to arms plastered on the town's central board. Aremir wasn't an errand-boy, but a caravan hadn't stopped through this city for more than three weeks and his impatience was getting the better of him. Against his sound judgement he decided to join said journey to Elsewhere. He was running low on good pelts, and a full set of Khajit clothing sounded interesting to try. After all, those cat people were hard to come by outside of their homeland.

He entered the inn casually in a brisk pace. the first thing he had to do was find the one offering employment and land the job before anyone else could. Y'ffre knows he could use the change of scenery.

"Bartender, I'm looking for the ones that put up a recruitment sign in the town square. I was told to be here", Aremir asked the rather bored middle aged Imperial shining glass cups. He nodded and moved his head to the side. "The group next to the corner table, four of them", he answered.

Aremir grinned in response and made his presence known to his apparent future employers.

Enthir got up from his seat slowly. ''We're in Elsweyr.... anyway, we're headed north of here to an undisclosed location in the desert. I'm Enthir'' he said, reaching out his hand. ''you interested?'' Endya asked him. Her tone seemed unfitting for an Altmer of her age and stature.

Josh12345:

TheIronRuler:

Enthir got up from his seat slowly. ''We're in Elsweyr.... anyway, we're headed north of here to an undisclosed location in the desert. I'm Enthir'' he said, reaching out his hand. ''you interested?'' Endya asked him. Her tone seemed unfitting for an Altmer of her age and stature.

Aremir raised an eyebrow at the couple. An undisclosed locations sounds like more trouble that he could handle. Who knows, could be a bunch of cannibals looking for a meal. Oh, the irony.

"I'll do anything to get me out of this town.", Aremir commented. He met Enthir's hand with a weak handshake.

TheIronRuler:

"Its pronounced Elsweyr," Dro'Araaj said, not bothering to look up, he yawned and took another drink.

he looked up, sizing up the potential recruit, "Hmm, you should ask him the questions," he said, nodding towards Joncis, "He's the employer, this one is just an old alchemist."

TheIronRuler:

Josh12345:

TheIronRuler:

Aremir raised an eyebrow at the couple. An undisclosed locations sounds like more trouble that he could handle. Who knows, could be a bunch of cannibals looking for a meal. Oh, the irony.

"I'll do anything to get me out of this town.", Aremir commented. He met Enthir's hand with a weak handshake.

Enthir sat down and pulled over a chair ''here, have a seat'' he motioned towards it for him to sit. Joncis spoke over to the Bosmer ''There was another Wood Elf with us when we first left off. Nice fellow, a bit arrogant...... he's dead....''

IFS:

TheIronRuler:

"Its pronounced Elsweyr," Dro'Araaj said, not bothering to look up, he yawned and took another drink.

he looked up, sizing up the potential recruit, "Hmm, you should ask him the questions," he said, nodding towards Joncis, "He's the employer, this one is just an old alchemist."

Aremir laughed at the short reply from the other member of the party.

"No, I asked if the caravan is going to else where... I haven't found a ride out of this town in weeks."

"...and the fourth one yet to speak is the boss?".

Josh12345:

TheIronRuler:

Josh12345:

Enthir sat down and pulled over a chair ''here, have a seat'' he motioned towards it for him to sit. Joncis spoke over to the Bosmer ''There was another Wood Elf with us when we first left off. Nice fellow, a bit arrogant...... he's dead....''

Aremir nodded in agreement when he was shown a chair to sit in. He might have found his ticket out, and a good paycheck. But all is not certain... they could also cheat him later down the road. The Bosmer was surprised when the fourth one spoke up.

"Best Eulogy I heard of a fellow Bosmer in years", Aremir said sarcastically, "at least he returned to the earth."

TheIronRuler:

IFS:

TheIronRuler:

"No, I asked if the caravan is going to else where... I haven't found a ride out of this town in weeks."

The young Breton scrawled something in his diary before closing it and looking up ''Well, Co-boss. Enthir's running it and Endya sort of tagged along around the time we reached Valenwood but that was a long time ago, I threw in a bit of coin and hold the group together, which I haven't been doing very well evidently'' he said, looking around the table at the complete lack of members.

Josh12345:

"This one thinks you are doing an excellent job of building confidence, you know that?" Dro'Araaj remarked sarcastically.

TheIronRuler:

"In theory at least, Dro'Araaj is never sure of the reality," he said, smiling.

IFS:

Josh12345:

"This one thinks you are doing an excellent job of building confidence, you know that?" Dro'Araaj remarked sarcastically.

TheIronRuler:

"In theory at least, Dro'Araaj is never sure of the reality," he said, smiling.

''Better than your solution at least: Stark reality with some Skooma thrown in, that stuff works different on us than it does to you!'' he retorted jokingly.

''So one extra member, this recruitment has gone well hasn't it?'' Endya mumbled in her usual sarcastic attitude. ''Honestly it will be weird if more weren't interested, Look around. Corinthe is a mecca at this point. The surrounding countryside is all but deserted at this point for safety, while for refugees from up north this is their first destination away from the warfront.'' Enthir told her

Croaker heard some voices echoing softly from the floor directly above the hidey-hole he'd set up in the inn's basement. The town had needed a physician, and he'd needed donations for his private 'blood-drive,' which he'd claimed he was collecting for an experimental potion that would cure a number of diseases. At first, the townsfolk had afforded Croaker a great deal of respect, but as time went on and he seemed no closer to managing this vunder-cure of his, the more suspicious they got. Croaker figured he had... maybe two weeks at the most before they turned on him.

Naturally, hearing voices in the inn wasn't anything new, but even at this distance, he could just make out the worry in some of the voices he'd heard. Something important was going on upstairs. Possibly a chance for a job, or at least an excuse to get out of this town before it decided to stimulate its pitchforks-and-torches industry. So Croaker slipped out of his hiding place, covered it up (making sure to pack the last stores of blood into his satchel), and climbed the stairs to see what was going on.

Once he was on the same level as the new voices, he definitely heard mention of some work that needed doing.

Even better... the newcomers were hiring.
Croaker coughed gently to get their attention.

"I understand you're in the market for hirelings?" Croaker asked, scanning the crowd for who was offering the job, "I'd like to sign on. I'm not much of a fighter, but I'm a decent archer, and I have about... fifty years of experience with the practice of battlefield medicine."

TheDoctor455:
Croaker heard some voices echoing softly from the floor directly above the hidey-hole he'd set up in the inn's basement. The town had needed a physician, and he'd needed donations for his private 'blood-drive,' which he'd claimed he was collecting for an experimental potion that would cure a number of diseases. At first, the townsfolk had afforded Croaker a great deal of respect, but as time went on and he seemed no closer to managing this vunder-cure of his, the more suspicious they got. Croaker figured he had... maybe two weeks at the most before they turned on him.

Naturally, hearing voices in the inn wasn't anything new, but even at this distance, he could just make out the worry in some of the voices he'd heard. Something important was going on upstairs. Possibly a chance for a job, or at least an excuse to get out of this town before it decided to stimulate its pitchforks-and-torches industry. So Croaker slipped out of his hiding place, covered it up (making sure to pack the last stores of blood into his satchel), and climbed the stairs to see what was going on.

Once he was on the same level as the new voices, he definitely heard mention of some work that needed doing.

"I understand you're in the market for hirelings?" Croaker asked, scanning the crowd for who was offering the job, "I'd like to sign on. I'm not much of a fighter, but I'm a decent archer, and I have about... fifty years of experience with the practice of battlefield medicine."

Endya got up and inspected him ''You look too young to have fifty years of medical practice, Breton. Either you're lying or...... nevermind'' she said, going to the bar for another round of drinks.

''Well, two isn't so bad is it?'' Joncis asked. '' I'm Joncis. I didn't catch your name?'' he said.

Josh12345:

TheDoctor455:

Endya got up and inspected him ''You look too young to have fifty years of medical practice, Breton. Either you're lying or...... nevermind'' she said, going to the bar for another round of drinks.

''Well, two isn't so bad is it?'' Joncis asked. '' I'm Joncis. I didn't catch your name?'' he said.

Croaker walked over to the two who were eyeing him up, and extended a hand to them.

"You can call me Croaker," he said evenly, trying to inflect a friendly tone into every word, "And you are?"

Aremir sat down at the chair offered to him and tried to make himself comfortable. He pulled out his bow and gave the bone a few squeezes. Aremir placed his belongings on the table and some on the floor next to his feet. He rummaged through his rucksack and found a small piece of dried meat. Quickly placing it in his mouth, he started chewing it quietly, waiting for further developments.

TheDoctor455:

Josh12345:

TheDoctor455:

Croaker walked over to the two who were eyeing him up, and extended a hand to them.

"You can call me Croaker," he said evenly, trying to inflect a friendly tone into every word, "And you are?"

''Enthir.'' The grey-haired Imperial said, shaking his hand. ''This expedition will be north, towards the desert. The pay is good, though the destination may be.... subject to change. You up for it?''

Josh12345:

TheDoctor455:

Josh12345:

''Enthir.'' The grey-haired Imperial said, shaking his hand. ''This expedition will be north, towards the desert. The pay is good, though the destination may be.... subject to change. You up for it?''

Croaker struggled to suppress a knowing smirk.

"Yes," he said, Joncis's hand as well, "I'm up for it."

Hmm... probably should have hidden my badge better, but unless he makes a habit of looting mage colleges at every turn... no. There's no way any of these kids could possibly recognize SoulCatcher's emblem on the damn thing. Pfft. Ehh... wonder what brought this up. Do I actually want someone to recognize it? Hmm...

Arlo wandered around Corinthe, bored and looking for work. He heard some idle chatter about an expedition, but ignored it for the most part. Why waste time with rumors? It wasn't until he found a poster that made his eyebrow raise of its' own volition that he decided to find out if he could do anything.

Arlo found the bar easily enough, place seemed... Well, inbetween alive and dead. There seemed to be something going on in the corner, the rest of the bar was in surly silence. An odd bastard was standing near a group of guys, one more nonchalant than the others. The khajiit looked hung over though, that was for damn sure. He made his way up to the group, "So, this the caravan thing?"

ruedyn:
Arlo wandered around Corinthe, bored and looking for work. He heard some idle chatter about an expedition, but ignored it for the most part. Why waste time with rumors? It wasn't until he found a poster that made his eyebrow raise of its' own volition that he decided to find out if he could do anything.

Arlo found the bar easily enough, place seemed... Well, inbetween alive and dead. There seemed to be something going on in the corner, the rest of the bar was in surly silence. An odd bastard was standing near a group of guys, one more nonchalant than the others. The khajiit looked hung over though, that was for damn sure. He made his way up to the group, "So, this the caravan thing?"

"Something like that," said Croaker, "from what I gather... its an escort job for... something. I don't know. Seems interesting enough."

Croaker paused a moment to get a better look at Arlo. Hmm... seems capable enough.

"Anyway, you can call me Croaker, and you are?"

TheDoctor455:
"Something like that," said Croaker, "from what I gather... its an escort job for... something. I don't know. Seems interesting enough."

Croaker paused a moment to get a better look at Arlo. Hmm... seems capable enough.

Arlo looked at what would hopefully be his future companion. Old, ugly, and wearing some silly glasses. He couldn't decide if the guy even HAD seen combat. Probably a mage or something, most Bretons were.

"I'm Arlo, pleasure to meet you."

ruedyn:

TheDoctor455:

Arlo looked at what would hopefully be his future companion. Old, ugly, and wearing some silly glasses. He couldn't decide if the guy even HAD seen combat. Probably a mage or something, most Bretons were.

"I'm Arlo, pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise," Croaker replied, "I'd shake your hand, but I fear that might be a bit presumptuous on my part. I was just hired a moment ago. No. I'm not a mage. I only know two spells, neither are much good to anyone but myself. I'm a decent archer though. But... my true forte lies with mundane medicine. I'm guessing you're a fighter of some description."

Croaker absently checked his satchel for his scalpel. Once it was out, Croaker momentarily turned his gaze to examine it.

"Hmm... need to sharpen that," he thought out loud.

''So I take it you're interested as well?'' Enthir asked the large Redguard politely. ''The pay is good, and I doubt you'll be in much danger''

Endya stood up and picked up her belongings ''Well we've wasted the good part of the morning here. I doubt we'll get many more mercenaries and I'd like to hit the marketplace and then leave the city before the refugees and penniless rip it to shreds'' she finished, making her way to the door, Joncis soon followed after her. checking to see if he had all his books.

Josh12345:
''So I take it you're interested as well?'' Enthir asked the large Redguard politely. ''The pay is good, and I doubt you'll be in much danger''

Endya stood up and picked up her belongings ''Well we've wasted the good part of the morning here. I doubt we'll get many more mercenaries and I'd like to hit the marketplace and then leave the city before the refugees and penniless rip it to shreds'' she finished, making her way to the door, Joncis soon followed after her. checking to see if he had all his books.

Sensing an opportunity, Croaker followed the pair, making as little noise as possible. Upon seeing the books being gathered, Croaker's face seemed to brighten despite its slightly pallid tone.

"Ah, a fellow scholar, I take it?" he asked.

TheDoctor455:

Josh12345:

Sensing an opportunity, Croaker followed the pair, making as little noise as possible. Upon seeing the books being gathered, Croaker's face seemed to brighten despite its slightly pallid tone.

Joncis turned around ''Oh, sort of. I've been educated if that's what you meant. Enthir used to work in the Imperial Library, maybe he'll have something to share..''

Josh12345:

TheDoctor455:

Josh12345:

Joncis turned around ''Oh, sort of. I've been educated if that's what you meant. Enthir used to work in the Imperial Library, maybe he'll have something to share..''

"Ah, excellent," Croaker replied, "I'm actually something of a historian. Though I doubt you'd have read my work."

Despite his excitement of having stumbled into the employ of someone that had a proper appreciation for the written word, Croaker decided it was best to keep too many personal details from entering this conversation. Croaker simply had no idea just how much Joncis knew to be sure if it were safe.

Arivicon wiped the pickpocket's blood off of his main gauche with a look of disgust. The bloody khajiit had tried to attack him with it's claws. He strode away, picking an inn at random. These refugees were dirty and dangerous, and he was well beyond tired of trying to stem the tide of crime.

"The Scorched Pahmar"? What kind of name is that? He sighed, and pushed the door open. He didn't remember the place, but he assumed he'd been here before. After nearly a year in this sun-blasted city, he'd probably had a drink in every tavern that would serve an altmer.

He saw a group of what appeared to be adventurers, and smiled. He'd seen the notices and heard a couple of whispers about a job out of the city. He would join them, he decided on the spot. The guard captain owed him some fifty drakes, but he decided not to bother. Akatosh knows when they'd be leaving, and he did not want to miss them.

"Greetings," he called, approaching the group. "I am Arivicon. My understanding is that you have a need of good swordsmen." His accent was strange. High Rock lyricism with a sailor's harshness, in an Altmer's voice. Strange indeed.
He rested his hand on the pommel of his rapier, and waited for a response.

Josh12345:

"Sounds good." And boring. But money was money, and this was certainly a season of famine rather than feast. Arlo started walking out, and an Altmer came walking in. He ignored his introduction, pushing the doors open and exited the establishment. He whistled suddenly, and a hawk came to him. His faithful, unnamed beast sat on his shoulder, looking regal as ever.
"Looks like we got a job. Need to visit the enchanters first though." the bird looked at him, and turned forward. Arlo smiled at the thing, and started walking towards his destination. He'd meet the rest of the group on their way out of town.

SamtheDeathclaw:
Arivicon wiped the pickpocket's blood off of his main gauche with a look of disgust. The bloody khajiit had tried to attack him with it's claws. He strode away, picking an inn at random. These refugees were dirty and dangerous, and he was well beyond tired of trying to stem the tide of crime.

"The Scorched Pahmar"? What kind of name is that? He sighed, and pushed the door open. He didn't remember the place, but he assumed he'd been here before. After nearly a year in this sun-blasted city, he'd probably had a drink in every tavern that would serve an altmer.

He saw a group of what appeared to be adventurers, and smiled. He'd seen the notices and heard a couple of whispers about a job out of the city. He would join them, he decided on the spot. The guard captain owed him some fifty drakes, but he decided not to bother. Akatosh knows when they'd be leaving, and he did not want to miss them.

"Greetings," he called, approaching the group. "I am Arivicon. My understanding is that you have a need of good swordsmen." His accent was strange. High Rock lyricism with a sailor's harshness, in an Altmer's voice. Strange indeed.
He rested his hand on the pommel of his rapier, and waited for a response.

''Just in time, I assume you overheard me a few moments ago.'' Enthir said, grabbing his things and finishing his drink, ''We're setting off now, if you believe that you're up for it.'' he made his way out of the tavern with the others.

Aremir pulled his woolen hood down as he checked all of his equipment. He pulled a piece of string out of his rucksack, then he closed it and put it away. The Bosmer pressed the bone tightly and wrapped the piece of string around its two edges, allowing it to remain stretched and ready for action. Aremir stood up and inspected his other tools - his small axe was wrapped around his left waist on his belt, and his skinning knife rested in its sheath on his right. His shovel protruded from his rucksack, and a few of his steel stakes were snugly pressed against his leather tunic. The Bosmer grabbed his rucksack and hung it on his right shoulder and was left with his bow hanging from his left hand.

"Pay, unknown. Destination, unknown. We better meet some cats along the way or this have been a total waste."

TheIronRuler:
Aremir pulled his woolen hood down as he checked all of his equipment. He pulled a piece of string out of his rucksack, then he closed it and put it away. The Bosmer pressed the bone tightly and wrapped the piece of string around its two edges, allowing it to remain stretched and ready for action. Aremir stood up and inspected his other tools - his small axe was wrapped around his left waist on his belt, and his skinning knife rested in its sheath on his right. His shovel protruded from his rucksack, and a few of his steel stakes were snugly pressed against his leather tunic. The Bosmer grabbed his rucksack and hung it on his right shoulder and was left with his bow hanging from his left hand.

"Pay, unknown. Destination, unknown. We better meet some cats along the way or this have been a total waste."

Dro'Araaj glanced at him, somewhat confused, "Last this one checked he was considered a cat, why are you looking for them?"

He quietly packed away his belongings, he hadn't managed to brew up any more potions of invisibility, and he'd used all his skooma, but he had made some interesting poisons and a potion of levitation. He was proud of the last one too, it ought to be pretty powerful and he didn't see many such potions outside of Morrowind, he wasn't sure why though he guessed that they didn't want people flying over the walls of cities.

Arivicon turned back the way he came, with a wry grin. Just in time. What luck.

He thought about the bunch he'd seen, sizing them up.
A khajiit, though he wasn't any good with their races. It looked fairly humanoid. More of an alchemist than a fighter, methinks. But those claws are sharp, and he looks like he's willing to use them.
A large redguard he'd passed on the way in. Watch that one. He would be a hard fight.
Two breton, one of whom appeared to be very old, and the other of whom appeared to be something of foppish mage. People don't like that long without being good fighters. Maybe he's slowed down in his age, but still likely more than a match for me. Ignore the mage. A cocksure little runt, I'm betting. Met lots of his kind in High Rock.
A Bosmer who was carrying enough weapons to arm a small platoon. Too many weapons. He may be good with the bow, but there's no way he's as good as someone who only uses a bow. Keep an eye on him, anyway.
A Cyrodiilic. A Blade? Out here? I'll be damned. Keep out of his way, for damn sure.

He stepped out the door, into the sun. He stifled a laugh.
"A bigger bunch of misfits I've never seen," he said quietly. He followed the Cyrodiilic, keeping his hands near his sword. He didn't trust this lot. Not yet.

IFS:

TheIronRuler:

Dro'Araaj glanced at him, somewhat confused, "Last this one checked he was considered a cat, why are you looking for them?"

He quietly packed away his belongings, he hadn't managed to brew up any more potions of invisibility, and he'd used all his skooma, but he had made some interesting poisons and a potion of levitation. He was proud of the last one too, it ought to be pretty powerful and he didn't see many such potions outside of Morrowind, he wasn't sure why though he guessed that they didn't want people flying over the walls of cities.

Aremir shrugged his shoulders as he followed the others. "But you're a comrade, no? No point in hurting you."

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here