Harbinger of Putrefaction: A Warhammer 40K Space Hulk RP

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

To the darkness I bring fire. To the ignorant I bring faith. Those who welcome these gifts may live, but I will visit naught but death and eternal damnation on those who refuse them.

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor of Mankind has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the vast Imperium of Man for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in His name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few.

But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat to humanity from aliens, heretics, mutants -- and far, far worse. To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

983.M41, Khappal System, Ultima Segmentum

A space hulk is a massive conglomeration of spaceborne trash, centuries and millennia old ships and junk gathered together in a tangled mess of parts the size of a small continent. They drift through the warp endlessly until they find their final resting place inevitably, whether it be to be ripped apart by Imperial weapons or to merely pulverize itself against a moon. More often than not, these hulks become homes to swarms of alien and demonic scum, and their passage often heralds doom for any nearby inhabited worlds. More importantly, a space hulk may contain technology that has been lost to the Imperium for thousands of years, technology that it is imperative be recovered if possible.

To that end, whenever possible these Space Hulks are boarded by the finest warriors that live, the Emperor's Space Marines, with orders to fight their way through the massive structure and drive out whatever taint might lie within with the Emperor's Sword and the Emperor's Fury.
One such Space Hulk is the Harbinger of Putrefaction that now lies on the outer edges of the Khappal system, guarded by a pair of Imperial cruisers. Segmentum Command has requested that this Space Hulk be secured at any cost. To that end, the Ordo Xenos have called upon their sword, the elite Deathwatch Marines.

Taken from the greatest and most skilled of all Space Marines from all loyal chapters, the Deathwatch is the Emperor's greatest weapon against the taint of Xeno filth. Now a transport bearing a squad of these elite warriors is en route to begin boarding the Harbinger of Putrefaction.

[Post Reserved for Character Sheets]

Son of a Demon... I look on the forum tonight and a zombie thread pops open, meaning I took it upon myself to postpone my own. Then my alternate is a WH one and this also shows =/. Good luck in all seriousness and just a bit at random and out of curiosity...

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/527363

This little animation?

I'm in.

I just have to get home to start writing up.

Hey, we got three Pokemon RPs right now, Ray. As long as your RP isn't a Space Hulk RP, yours can probably find its own niche.

Would a Black Templars, Emperor's Champion be too OP here?

Not too OP, but to be honest it'd be kind of weird for the champion of the Black Templars to leave a Templar crusade to join the Deathwatch.

Hm, that is true. I was under the impression that there was a newly selected champion per crusade but the reason for a champion leaving would be too troublesome to explain. I'll just stick with a really badass sword brethren then. Expect a sheet soon.

Tell me I need to edit anything otherwise, please enjoy. Suggestions and/or criticisms are welcome.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Hey, we got three Pokemon RPs right now, Ray. As long as your RP isn't a Space Hulk RP, yours can probably find its own niche.

Riiigghhht, my idea didn't have anything whatsoever to do with Space Hulks at All. Oh and three pokemon things? Wow that sure is small.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, Ray.

Good character, Framed.

All you Imperium guys better get your Mon-keigh asses out of here, because at the eve of Kilithikadya you will not be distinguished from the filth.

Yeah, we're not allowing non-Imperium characters. -Maybe- later in the story, but highly unlikely.

But I don't think that's what you're actually here for, is it?

Okay, Lets have a stab at this.

Sheet below.

Let me know what you think or anything I've left out. Otherwise, I'll keep an eye out for the start of proceedings

Edited for horrific formatting caused by the post window.

Me: "Oh wow! I just start to get into Warhammer 40k, and already there's an RP set in the universe? I can't believe my lu-"

*Sees it's Spacemarines only*

Woz dis?! Buncha humie gitz wot can't 'andle bein' Orky?!'

In all seriousness, I only recently this week have been really getting into Warhammer, and all I know right now is a smattering of lore, and the faction I've least read up on is the Space Marines.

So maybe, but I feel I'd bog it down.

Yeah, sorry about that, Gent. I've been contemplating a Warhammer RP for some time, but it's kind of difficult to get any of the factions together for an RP. Space Marines and Imperial Guard don't mix because any player Marine is going to outshine any Guard, and the Imperium in general is so xenophobic that they'd never work with aliens. The only factions that are really capable of teaming up in 40K credibly is Tau and Eldar, and only because the Tau don't know that the Eldar are vipers.

I completely understand. For some, if not most, it's all about the Space Marines.

For me it's da Orks, but to each his own.

However I do hope your RP goes swimmingly, and I wish you the best of luck.

Waaaaaaagh! and good day.

Thanks, Gent. Have heart, I might do a follow up RP about the Orks, working title 'Let's Make It Orky!'

Decisions, decisions... Iron Snake or White Scar? Gotta go with my gut on this one.

Nice character, Joe. I think I can give you the Chaplain slot. Also, I really like the touches on the Crozius.

The massive histories are intimidating to say the 'least :p. I'll get a character sheet up hopefully by the end of this week.

EDIT: Please tell me if it needs to be done sooner.

OMG this is awesome. Does the Characters sheet have to be spoilered or anything or van I just write it? I've been playing 40k characters in WAOA but a Space Hulk is just too tasty to resist. Is Tactical Dreadnought Armour allowed?

I'm definitely in, I'll get my character sheet done soon; when will the RP start?

Is this RP dead?

Much as I'd prefer it not to be, I don't have enough characters to run it.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Much as I'd prefer it not to be, I don't have enough characters to run it.

Hmm, I had assumed it had been dropped because no reply to my PM came. If you had replied I would have finished the History :/. Hell I'll finish it anyway. Who knows if more people join?

EDIT:See :p?

Just send me a PM if this ever gets off the ground, I'm still keen.

I am keen to see this work, Space Vikings. IN SPEEHHHHSSSSSSS.

Yeah. I'll write up a sheet for this tomorrow at somepoint.

We can rebuild it.

We have, The IMPERIUM OF MAN!

I'll submit a character sheet over the weekend. I'll freely admit now though, that I've never RP'd on the Escapist Forums before. I used to forum and in-game RP back when I played WoW years ago, and I've read the post about Escapist RP guidelines, but if I make an error or faux pas, don't hesitate to call me up on it.

Would a tech marine be an acceptable character? Someone needs to handle the vital schematics we might find

Hmmm, after repeatedly telling myself tht I'm too busy to handle another RP, I think that this is just too good an opportunity to pass up, will post a character sheet soon, hopefully. Until then, may the Emperors light shine upon you.

A Techmarine would be acceptable, yes.

Here goes my shot, let me know if I have horribly mangled the lore.

Get your sheets in people! I wanna see this RP take off!

Apologies for the lateness, lotta RL things came up and distracted me from writing, but they're over now and I'm free to commit to this.

I know you said earlier that heavy weapons weren't likely to be accepted, but there were a few melee guys and I wanted to mix things up a bit. Lemme know if you want anything changed.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked