Welcome to the arena Gladiator RP interest thread (Closed/Dead)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So I've been playing a few RPs on this forum now and have decided to try my hand at GMing a game of my very own. So.... here goes nothing.

The Idea

A Gladiator RP set in the fictional city of Ptolemy. The capital of The Empire. Each player takes on the role of a someone taken from one of the tribes and clans conquered by the Empire and sold into slavery. When the game starts they have each been sold to the Marrick family ludus. There they will be trained to become gladiators in the arena. Those that thrive will become champions, loved by the masses. Those that fall will be forgotten, claimed by the blood soaked sands.

This RP will differ somewhat from other arena RPs. The story will be as much about what happens outside of the arena as what happens inside it. You characters are not here of their own free will, how they handle becoming a gladiator is up to you.

Will they embrace the life and soak up the violence and fame they get from the games?

Will they fight for the love of it, for the love of the crowd, or to earn their freedom?

Will they rebel against it? Fighting only so they can survive long enough to escape. Or will they go completely Spartacus and try and lead a full scale revolt?

But remember you are a slave and the arena is a dangerous place. You must adapt or die.

Making Your Gladiator

General Details

Tech level: Think Roman era.
Is there magic? No, but most characters will be very superstitious and could easily believe something they don't understand to be magic.
How will combat work? Combat with NPCs will pretty much be a simple process of

1.) You post what you want your guys to do.

2.) I write up what hits, what doesn't, how the NPCs react and their counter attacks. Keep in mind I may have to shift around the order you do things, and possibly make minor alterations to your actions to keep it all coherent.

PvP battles will be more up to you guys. I'd like it to be civil, and the usual RP rules of No Godmoding/modding are in effect.

As for rules in general, the usual applies. No god moding, no may sues/Gary Stus and of course let's try and keep things clean and civil like the forum guidelines say.

OK!! Hope all that didn't scare you all off, if there are any more question don't hesitate to ask.

Note to all new comers: We are officially open for a second recruitment drive please feel free to post any questions you have for me here and I will do my best to get back to you ASAP.

One thing for special consideration, I am placing a cap on the number of Asiren slots to 2. They already outnumber the other tribes in our existing group and as they say variety is the spice of life.

We will also not be accepting any new Pingla, if you wish to paly as a smaller lesser known tribe the option to make your own is still available.

Commentary is welcomed.

This interests me, and I will hopefully have a sheet up by tonight, probably a Vaan since I like the concept of warrior-monks.

I will post a character sheet, just when I'm at home to think and not at my work computer. So here's a quick thread bump :)

Dogmatic99:
Snip

Are the Asieren based on a particular country, original or is everyone Italian? I'm just trying to think of an authentic name.

ProtoChimp:
Are the Asieren based on a particular country, original or is everyone Italian? I'm just trying to think of an authentic name.

The Asieren are themed after the German and Gaul tribes of the Roman era, with a bit of general fantasy thrown in but that can be said for all the tribes.

Dogmatic99:

ProtoChimp:

The Asieren are themed after the German and Gaul tribes of the Roman era.

Okay cool, I've wiki'd Gaul but its kinda vague, was Gaul France?

Just wondering where about geologically are the Vaan from?

ProtoChimp

It covered a few different modern day countries. Including France, Switzerland and parts of Germany. I'll PM you some links with a few names if you want some inspiration.

MortifiedPenguin:

They come from a cold desert region far to the north of The Empire. Due to this and the fact that their tribe is quite insular they would have had little to know contact with the other major tribes. For a Vaan slave this would probably be their first time even seeing members of the other tribes and vice versa.

Which group would you say is the most Celtic?

I'm interested is all, and I just want to know who would be closest to Britannia.

Dogmatic99:

MortifiedPenguin:

They come from a cold desert region far to the north of The Empire. Due to this and the fact that their tribe is quite insular they would have had little to know contact with the other major tribes. For a Vaan slave this would probably be their first time even seeing members of the other tribes and vice versa.

Okay then, expect a sheet up soon

SPARTANXIII:

I'm interested is all, and I just want to know who would be closest to Britannia.

The closest would in my mind would be The Amon'tyr.

Their style summed up at it's simplest: Think the Scottish clan system mixed with the riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings.

But feel free to create a smaller tribe of your own if you want, I would be happy to help you out with it.

Dogmatic99:

SPARTANXIII:

The closest would in my mind would be The Amon'tyr.

Their style summed up at it's simplest: Think the Scottish clan system mixed with the riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings.

But feel free to create a smaller tribe of your own if you want, I would be happy to help you out with it.

Oooh, a custom tribe does sound pretty promising. How about I think some things up and PM you the ideas?

SPARTANXIII:

Oooh, a custom tribe does sound pretty promising. How about I think some things up and PM you the ideas?

Go Nuts!!!

Dogmatic99:

ProtoChimp

It covered a few different modern day countries. Including France, Switzerland and parts of Germany. I'll PM you some links with a few names if you want some inspiration.

Thanks. One last question do the Asieren look a particular way like the Vaan do?

ProtoChimp:
Thanks. One last question do the Asieren look a particular way like the Vaan do?

Caucasian, taller and broader than other peoples. Typically dark haired.

Sorry about asking another question, but what style are the Vaan names in (Scandinavian etc.)?

I have a question: Would it be alright for a Vaan to wield a pair of swords, or are they restricted to one by tribal traditions?

Malyc:
I have a question: Would it be alright for a Vaan to wield a pair of swords, or are they restricted to one by tribal traditions?

The sword is meant to represent them as a person, if your character felt that two would do that better than one then they would make 2.

A word of warning: Vaan players should keep in mind that any possessions they had on them at their time of capture (like their fancy black swords) would be taken from them by their captures.

Dogmatic99:

Malyc:

The sword is meant to represent them as a person, if your character felt that two would do that better than one then they would make 2.

A word of warning: Vaan players should keep in mind that any possessions they had on them at their time of capture (like their fancy black swords) would be taken from them by their captures.

And this will, of course make my character all kinds of unhappy, although I did anticipate that they wouldn't let him keep it... In fact, the belief that it may be returned to him was going to give him a reason to fight.

Malyc:

And this will, of course make my character all kinds of unhappy, although I did anticipate that they wouldn't let him keep it... In fact, the belief that it may be returned to him was going to give him a reason to fight.

Excellent!!!

I'm worried he may be a little overpowered. I will edit if necessary.

ProtoChimp:

Looks fine to me. You captured what I had in mind for the Asier brilliantly and used the tribe's back story to good effect. As for his physical abilities, he wouldn't be made a gladiator if he wasn't a warrior worth buying. He'll need all that strength and speed to survive the arena.

Dogmatic99:

ProtoChimp:

Looks fine to me. You captured what I had in mind for the Asier brilliantly and as for his physical abilities, he wouldn't be made a gladiator if he wasn't a warrior worth buying. He'll need all that strength and speed to survive the arena.

Ok cool, any idea when it will begin or do you need more signups?

@ProtoChimp

We now have to completed character sheets and about 3 more in the works. Once they are done we can get get started. :)

My friend and I are both interested in joining up. We'll have some character sheets up tonight/ tomorrow morning. This looks very interesting.

Will edit if necessary.

Just tell me if anything needs editing :)

Damned ninjas, stealing the ideas I was having... GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Name: Typhon De'skel
Description: 21, lean but with a fair amount of muscle definition, black hair, blue eyes, and he stands at 5'11" tall. The overall design in his warpaint varies, but the central base is always the same.

Tribe/Clan: Vaan
Bio: When Typhon chose to join the War Walkers, no one in his clan was surprised. He had always been slightly more hot-headed than others his age, although he was fairly good at controlling it.

During his desert training, he developed a strong preference for staff-swords, due to their ability to both attack and block in the same motion. This resulted in him developing a rather defensive fighting style, where he generally used the leverage provided by his weapon to unbalance his opponent before striking.

Typhon made his pilgrimage, and forged a double bladed sword as tall as he was, able to be split in the middle for transport. The blades are straight, as any curve in a weapon such as his would only hinder it's use. Carved onto one blade is the Vaan word for death, on the other blade, life.

While practicing with his newly forged weapon in the desert, a group of Imperial cavalry happened upon him and took him prisoner after a short but brutal fight, and disarmed him. Due to the difficulty of his capture, he was marketed as a potential champion when being sold into the world of Bloodsports.

While Typhon is saddened by the loss of his weapon, he will fight like a demon if it means he will be reunited with it.

Skills: Typhon is able to judge terrain very well, and uses any part of it he can turn to his advantage.

Everything looks great so far guys. Only 2 pointers to give out.

@MortifiedPenguin. What is Lahar's natural hair colour? This isn't a major thing but the black hair dye would have faded over his journey from the desert to the Empire and you may want to use it in your descriptions of him.

@lax4life. A veteran gladiator, interesting. "Skills: Vokrash is very fast and is deceptively strong and likes to get up close and personal with his two axes."

Normally gladiators aren't allowed personal possessions, however since your guy has already fought a few matches he can have bought these axes with the money he got for winning however he will only be given them before matches, in between the axes (along with all other weapons) will me kept in the armoury under the care of the arms master.

So far we are waiting on two final character sheets from SpartanXIII and AceofPie. Once they are up we can begin the blood bath!!

Now to get to work on the OP!

@Dogmatic99 Edited it so it shows what his natural hair colour is.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked